Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Any success upgrading Barclays AA Aviator Red MC to AA Aviator Silver World Elite MC?

Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
See also, this thread in the US Airways forum:
New AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard (US targeted)

Differences between Red and Silver card

Any Aviator cardholders always had the option to upgrade to Silver. You just had to call Barclaycard and pay the $195 annual fee. Beyond that, there's nothing "exclusive" about it.

In short, it depends on if the extra $100/year annual fee the silver card has over the red is justified by the following benefits the silver card has over the red:

5000 EQM after $20k annual spend
Companion certificate after $30k annual spend
Another 5000 EQM after $40k annual spend
3 miles per dollar charged on AA purchases
Global entry reimbursement

Above copied from patmcpsu's post.
Print Wikipost

Any success upgrading Barclays AA Aviator Red MC to AA Aviator Silver World Elite MC?

Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: Lufthansa
What a confused bunch of Customer Service agents........now I get a letter (postal mail) stating that my benefits begin on June 20, 2015 and 1 week after that, benefits like the "Global entry refund of fee" will begin. Customer Service is very confused, giving out dates and reading contracts......then some office in the U.S. is over-riding what they contractually make you agree to on the phone. Barclay's seems to be a "lesser product" than say Chase or Citibank JMHO..........

Originally Posted by ZetaToplover
Called them in the Philippines, CSA stated "no problem with an upgrade", and a bunch of pre-written agreement stuff. Shortly thereafter the following e-mail arrived. Today, is my first day as a silver member, supposedly. There are a bunch of parts of this (like how you get billed for the card and when), but I'll deal with that when it happens.

Start using your upgraded benefits

Your new upgraded AAdvantage Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard benefits are ready to go!
You will now begin earning1:

— 3X miles for every dollar spent on eligible US Airways and American Airlines purchases
— 2X miles for every dollar spent on select hotel and car rental purchases
— 1X miles for every dollar spent on purchases everywhere else MasterCard is accepted

Within one week, you can begin enjoying the following additional benefits2:

— 5,000 Elite Qualifying Miles: Receive 5,000 EQMs for each $20,000 in annual purchases (10,000 maximum EQMs per year)
— Annual Companion Certificate: Earn an annual companion certificate good for up to two guests to travel with you on an American Airlines operated flight for $99 each (taxes and fees apply) after you spend $30,000 or more in purchases since your last account anniversary and maintain your cardmembership
— Global Entry Application Fee Credit: Pay for the $100 Global Entry application fee with your card and you'll automatically receive a $100 statement credit 2-3 weeks after your transaction. With this benefit, you can receive one $100 application fee credit once every five years.

Your new card will have the same account number and expiration date. Once you receive your new card, follow the simple activation instructions. We hope you enjoy your new, upgraded benefits!
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Chewie
It does count...
+1 I have written confirmation via SecureMessage that all spending till date on the Aviator Red (and its predecessor US Airways MC) will count.

That being said, I still can't get the upgrade so feel like I've wasted a lot of spend on this card (which I only put on it after confirming that all till date spend would count).

I even had a CS agent say "I just need to read you a few disclosures and then I can upgrade you" only to have the line go silent for 10 minutes and have to call back in to be told there is no upgrade available.

Get your act together Barclays.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP
glad I stopped by here again! FINALLY upgrading... about time Barclays
Old Jun 15, 2015, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by smilinganddialing
That being said, I still can't get the upgrade so feel like I've wasted a lot of spend on this card (which I only put on it after confirming that all till date spend would count).

I even had a CS agent say "I just need to read you a few disclosures and then I can upgrade you" only to have the line go silent for 10 minutes and have to call back in to be told there is no upgrade available.
Are you one of the people with a 10k bonus, or no? Just thinking if we get some data on who can and cannot upgrade, maybe we can identify the patterns.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 5:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Finally upgraded this past Friday June 12 after having been told on two previous calls in the 10 days prior "NO" with zero explanation why despite my already having put $43,000 on the card this current calendar year and having a FICO score of about 750.

What seems to have been the trigger to allow my upgrade is that on Thursday June 11, my new Aviator cards went out into the mail. So it seems the "new issuance" was what permitted me to upgrade.

What bugs me big time is either the lack of transparency or just being "clueless" on the part of the Barclay phone reps. If they had just told me "we can't upgrade you" until your new Aviator cards go out in the mail I would have been fine with that. But to say "NO" on those two previous occasions with ZERO explanation bugs the daylights out of me.

Looking forward to those triple points on AA. Combined with my Lifetime Gold on AA which entitles you to half off on Advantage hotel redemptions makes for me the best hotel redemption program anywhere
Old Jun 16, 2015, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
Just got my silver card in the mail today (exactly two weeks after I called to upgrade).

It's the same CC number, expiration date and CCV (security code) as my red card it is replacing.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 6:41 pm

Upgraded my Red card to a Silver card today. Process was straightforward - CS agent seemed to know exactly what to do.

When he was explaining my new benefits, he mentioned that they wouldn't start until the first day of my next billing cycle. I pressed him about that, but he didn't have any additional information. The other information pretty much aligns with what others have written above.

Question for the group: has anyone else been told that their benefits wouldn't start until their next billing cycle?

-S
Old Jun 16, 2015, 9:14 pm

Finally had the offer pop up today on one of my accounts - and this is one with a 10K anniversary bonus.

I have not received any email yet, though.

Originally Posted by Chewie
Just got my silver card in the mail today (exactly two weeks after I called to upgrade).
How long before it showed up as silver on the website?

Originally Posted by SonP
Question for the group: has anyone else been told that their benefits wouldn't start until their next billing cycle?
That's what they told me as well.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by worldspan
Finally upgraded this past Friday June 12 after having been told on two previous calls in the 10 days prior "NO" with zero explanation why despite my already having put $43,000 on the card this current calendar year and having a FICO score of about 750.

What seems to have been the trigger to allow my upgrade is that on Thursday June 11, my new Aviator cards went out into the mail. So it seems the "new issuance" was what permitted me to upgrade.

What bugs me big time is either the lack of transparency or just being "clueless" on the part of the Barclay phone reps. If they had just told me "we can't upgrade you" until your new Aviator cards go out in the mail I would have been fine with that. But to say "NO" on those two previous occasions with ZERO explanation bugs the daylights out of me.

Looking forward to those triple points on AA. Combined with my Lifetime Gold on AA which entitles you to half off on Advantage hotel redemptions makes for me the best hotel redemption program anywhere
I posted this in the other thread. You must wait until you get your red card before you can upgrade, and I am not talking about the trick where you order a replacement card. I have to wait until July because that is when mine is supposed to come, which sucks but hopefully after that I can upgrade. I have the physical red card, but they can tell that was because I requested a replacement for a damaged card.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nall
How long before it showed up as silver on the website?
About 1 week, maybe even 5 days or so. I called on June 2nd to upgrade and my billing cycle ends on the 4th of each month.

I may have just been lucky with the timing.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold, Marriott Silver, Choice Privileges Gold, National Exec
Received my Aviator Red card today, activated it, and just called in to inquire about upgrading to the Aviator Silver. I was connected with a great CS rep who said "no problem, you are eligible" and proceeded to read the disclosure agreement for the upgrade.

The call took about 5 minutes. As an added data point, I haven't put any spend on my US Airways/Aviator Red card since January 2015, so having recent spend doesn't seem to be necessary (I wasn't sure if spend would carry over and wasn't willing to risk it).

Best of luck to those still trying to get their upgrade through! ^
Old Jun 18, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Just got notification that my red card was mailed, called in to try to upgrade, told me call back in a few months when the merger is complete. LOL. Anyone who already paid their annual fee successfully upgrade?
Old Jun 18, 2015, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by nall
That's what they told me as well.
Thanks for the point of reference. So now I'm a little confused. I received a follow-up email the day after:

"Your account will be updated on 07/XX/2015. At that time, you will be sent your new AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite MasterCard. You will also be able to start enjoying these new benefits: Yada yada yada"

I received another email right after with this information:

"Your new upgraded AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite MasterCard benefits are ready to go!

You will now begin earning: 3x miles, 2x miles, etc."

If I book flights now, would I earn 2x or 3x miles? Has anyone observed that their benefits are actually kicking-in before the next billing cycle?

BTW, my BarclayCardUS account still shows the red card.

Best,
SP
Old Jun 18, 2015, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by SonP
Thanks for the point of reference. So now I'm a little confused. I received a follow-up email the day after:
I, too, received both of those emails the next day and my account still shows a red card and the benefits of it. I'm presuming it will update after the next billing cycle.

Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
Just got notification that my red card was mailed, called in to try to upgrade, told me call back in a few months when the merger is complete. LOL. Anyone who already paid their annual fee successfully upgrade?
One of the pre-requisites for upgrading is that you have received and activated the new Red card.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I did not receive the red card and just received an email from bank with the last 4 digits number of the red card. I called bank and upgrade to silver without any issue.

Question:

I have already got 10k EQM from AA executive card by spending $40k. If I spend another $40k on silver card, can I get another EQM.

I know it is too early to ask this question. But Since I will get companion ticket, I will definitely spend 30k on this card and to see if I can get first 5k EQM. I will update the result here.

And if you have similar experience, please share. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.