Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Any success upgrading Barclays AA Aviator Red MC to AA Aviator Silver World Elite MC?

Old Jul 20, 2015, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
See also, this thread in the US Airways forum:
New AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard (US targeted)

Differences between Red and Silver card

Any Aviator cardholders always had the option to upgrade to Silver. You just had to call Barclaycard and pay the $195 annual fee. Beyond that, there's nothing "exclusive" about it.

In short, it depends on if the extra $100/year annual fee the silver card has over the red is justified by the following benefits the silver card has over the red:

5000 EQM after $20k annual spend
Companion certificate after $30k annual spend
Another 5000 EQM after $40k annual spend
3 miles per dollar charged on AA purchases
Global entry reimbursement

Above copied from patmcpsu's post.
Print Wikipost

Any success upgrading Barclays AA Aviator Red MC to AA Aviator Silver World Elite MC?

Old Oct 7, 2015, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How old is each card? I've heard that due to (at the very least banks' interpretation of) a Consumer Protection Bureau (or whatever it's called) rule passed a while back, banks are not allowed to make various changes to your card (including upgrading it) until you've had it for one full year.

So could it be that the ones you couldn't convert you got less than a year ago?

The same issue may apply to downgrading:
If so, I would not cancel the Red if you want to convert, instead I'd see if you can get a retantion offer (if your annual fee is up), like so many people have:
Then when you have had the card longer, you may be able to convert it to Silver then if you wish.

Remeber, a cancelled Aviator card is cancelled forever; there is no way to ever get another Aviator card. So I would caution against cancelling a Red just because you're mad, when you might be able to keep it another year for free and then do what you want to do with it eventually, even if not right away.

EDITED TO ADD: Even if it does have the "annual" 10000 bonus and that's why it can't be upgrade to Silver, that also sounds temporary. From what I've read, this is the last year any Aviator card will have the 10000 bonus. So could it be that even cards that have the "annual" 10000 bonus will be upgradable to Silver in the future after the 10000 bonus has expired?

Last edited by sdsearch; Oct 7, 2015 at 7:03 pm
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
thanks; good info. Both cards are between 5 and 9 years old.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dingo
thanks; good info. Both cards are between 5 and 9 years old.
Read what I added in my edit (as you were posting your reply), about the 10000 "annual" bonus.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Thanks; when does the 10k bone go away?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by sdsearch

EDITED TO ADD: Even if it does have the "annual" 10000 bonus and that's why it can't be upgrade to Silver, that also sounds temporary. From what I've read, this is the last year any Aviator card will have the 10000 bonus. So could it be that even cards that have the "annual" 10000 bonus will be upgradable to Silver in the future after the 10000 bonus has expired?
One of my Aviator Reds has an option to upgrade. I called Barclays and asked whether this card has perpetual bonus, and they said yes. Another card which also has perpetual bonus, but don't have an upgrade option. I've got an upgradable card with 50k promo for preferred members, it said that I will receive 10k miles upon anniversary. The other card I received a year earlier with 40k bonus and 10k miles upon anniversary.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:22 am

I have upgraded a card that was less than a year old.

Originally Posted by dingo
My wife had two of the Barclays US MC's. Both were converted to the red card. She was able to upgrade one to the Silver and has hit the 40k in spending to get all of the benefits. She has tried, twice now, to upgrade the second one to Silver. Without getting into the why part, it is of interest to her in doing so. On both calls, she was told that there was 'no offer' available at this time. She can easily spend $80-100k per year across two cards. She wants to segregate some expenses from others. She's a long-time Barclays customer. She pays in full. The Silver comes at a higher fee vs. the red.
Just want to make sure you're aware that according to the T&C, you can only earn a max of 10k EQM per year from Barclays, even if you hold multiple silver cards.

EDIT: Where did you hear this was the last year for the 10,000 mile bonus?

Last edited by nall; Oct 8, 2015 at 12:49 pm
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:51 pm

I also upgraded a card that was less than a year old.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 6:00 am

Programs: Aadvantage
There may be a ray of hope for those of us waiting to upgrade a Red card with the 10k AF bonus...

Gary Leff (who has written about the Aviator cards on View From the Wing) posted the following on the InsideFlyer forum:

"If the second [Aviator Red] card had any unique features (like 10k annual bonus miles at card renewal) it's on a separate upgrade path for technical and regulatory reasons, they're testing the new path now and expect it to be in place next month."

Fingers crossed...
Old Oct 13, 2015, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Scsweet
There may be a ray of hope for those of us waiting to upgrade a Red card with the 10k AF bonus...

Gary Leff (who has written about the Aviator cards on View From the Wing) posted the following on the InsideFlyer forum:

"If the second [Aviator Red] card had any unique features (like 10k annual bonus miles at card renewal) it's on a separate upgrade path for technical and regulatory reasons, they're testing the new path now and expect it to be in place next month."

Fingers crossed...
I assume you won't still be able to keep the 10k bonus, or...?
Old Oct 13, 2015, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by nall
I assume you won't still be able to keep the 10k bonus, or...?
I think that is a reasonable assumption but until the door opens...
Old Nov 2, 2015, 1:30 pm

I have the anniversary 10k card. An "upgrade your benefits" link showed up for me today, and when I clicked on it there was a disclosure that said if I agreed I would lose the 10k. I need the EQM this year, so I did it. Hopefully, the money I've already spent on the card this year will count, as others have reported.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Wow showing up for me too, this is big news.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by lkar
I have the anniversary 10k card. An "upgrade your benefits" link showed up for me today, and when I clicked on it there was a disclosure that said if I agreed I would lose the 10k. I need the EQM this year, so I did it. Hopefully, the money I've already spent on the card this year will count, as others have reported.
+1. Finally.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 2:50 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Excellent... I was also one with the annual 10k anniversary bonus, and this is now showing up for my account as well. (With the disclaimer that upgrading to Silver will eliminate the anniversary bonus.)

Of course, at this point, I'm going to wait a few more weeks and see if AA has any elite qualifying criteria changes in store for 2016...
Old Nov 4, 2015, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
So my anniversary is 12/4; it says a week after, they will give me the benefit of 5k EQM for $20k spend.

I'm already over $20k. Would the EQMs post in 2015 or my next bill (I.e. Jan 4 2016)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.