Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime PE, Hilton Dia, WN CP, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by theanswriz42
How bad is the hit to your credit score when you're applying to that many cards at once?
Each hard pull costs 2-5 points off your FICO. However, my FICO was 805 on August 5th. Over the next month I applied and received six new cards. Today my score is 819.

So, YMMV
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:29 pm

Programs: A few
It definitely is not just about FICO scores. That would be way to easy. Some lenders just frown upon large numbers of inquiries and opened accounts.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 5:33 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Originally Posted by pinguy
A domestic coach ticket on AS starts at 15k.
I don't know their award chart really well - you mean 15k for an intra-state Alaska flight?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 6:43 pm

Hawaii and/or South Africa

Misses and I are planning a summer 2015 vacation to either Hawaii (Maui) or South Africa. We may take a few shorter domestic vacations as well in the next year or two. We are leaning towards Maui over South Africa.

My CreditKarma Profile: 729 w/ 9 Inquiries. 5% utilization.
My CreditSesame Profile: 735 (can't find inquiry info). 6% utilization.

Spouse CreditKarma Profile: 700 w/ 6 inquiries. 7% utilization.
Spouse CreditSesame Profile: 735 (can't find inquiry info). 6% utilization.

No actual utilization. I fouled up and let the statements post with a balance. We just purchased new vehicles and closed on a house so we have no upcoming loans to apply for.

My Current Cards and points balances:
Amex PRG (10,000 Points)
Amex SPG (30,000 Points)
Chase Ink Plus (40,000 Points)
Alaska Airlines (28,000 Miles)
United MileagePlus Explorer (0 Points)
Discover Card (0 cash back)
Both Southwest Airlines personal cards (0 miles remaining)
Fairmont Visa (No stays remaining)

Wife's Cards and Points Balances:
Amex PRG (1,000 Points)
Amex SPG (35,000 Points)
Fairmont Visa (no stays remaining)

What I'm thinking of applying for:
Myself: Barclays Arrival (40K bonus), Chase Sapphire Preferred (40K), Citi AA (50K)
Wife: Barclays Arrival, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Citi AA, BofA Alaska Airlines

I'm mainly focusing on airline miles at the moment because most hotel stay vouchers expire within a year or so. I'll likely apply for the Hyatt card for each of us in a future AoR. I'll probably also have my wife apply for a United Explorer card in a future AoR. I chose the Barclay cards because if we go to Maui, I'd like to stay at a condo/rental purchased through AirBnB and it's my understanding that purchases from them are coded as Travel and will count for statement credit. If we go to South Africa, I believe I could credit some of my safari cost to that card as well.

Also, I'd like to avoid having the Misses apply for any business cards. She is OK with the mileage scheme but isn't very comfortable crossing into that gray area of applying for a business card without actually owning a legitimate business.

I welcome suggestions, comments, etc. I'm fairly new to this game but have been doing quite a bit of reading over the past 6 months trying to catch-up.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by blt7cd
Misses and I are planning a summer 2015 vacation to either Hawaii (Maui) or South Africa. We may take a few shorter domestic vacations as well in the next year or two. We are leaning towards Maui over South Africa.

What I'm thinking of applying for:
Myself: Barclays Arrival (40K bonus), Chase Sapphire Preferred (40K), Citi AA (50K)
Wife: Barclays Arrival, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Citi AA, BofA Alaska Airlines

I'm mainly focusing on airline miles at the moment because most hotel stay vouchers expire within a year or so... I chose the Barclay cards because if we go to Maui, I'd like to stay at a condo/rental purchased through AirBnB and it's my understanding that purchases from them are coded as Travel and will count for statement credit. If we go to South Africa, I believe I could credit some of my safari cost to that card as well.
I think it makes sense to trade off Arrival cards (assuming they hang around) rather than both getting one at the same time. I would consider having one of you get the Lufthansa card instead for domestic (including Hawaii) travel on United, while it has a 50K bonus. Barclays also often has generous continued spending promotional bonuses.

Unless you're serious about South Africa, in which case you need to go all in for airline miles and save up cash and points for expenses there.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:00 pm

Just remembered I have an NFL Barclays card. I know they're pretty picky on handing out cards so do you think I have a chance? I don't have a lot of inquiries but probably still more than they'd like to see.

Wife has no Barclays cards so I'm hoping she can at least get it.

I've never looked much at redeeming Lufthansa awards but I'll do some reading up on it and see if it looks right for me. Thank you for the suggestions!
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP
AFAIK, they will give a second card; a third may be more difficult. My wife and I each got 2 Barclays cards about 6 months apart with no problems. I actually just cancelled her USAir card with plans to get the Lufthansa card to replace it soon. Lufthansa charges surcharges on their own metal and most partners, but not United, and they do allow one-way awards at approximately the same levels as AA and UA within the North and Central America and the Caribbean.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
AFAIK, they will give a second card; a third may be more difficult. My wife and I each got 2 Barclays cards about 6 months apart with no problems. I actually just cancelled her USAir card with plans to get the Lufthansa card to replace it soon. Lufthansa charges surcharges on their own metal and most partners, but not United, and they do allow one-way awards at approximately the same levels as AA and UA within the North and Central America and the Caribbean.
I would rather pay the surcharges on LH then fly UA... The level of service onboard LH, and on the ground is well worth the added $... Plus with the devaluation of MP...
Old Nov 5, 2013, 5:10 am

Doing my second AOR soon and I am a bit nervous about getting rejected by chase again due to too many apps and no previous relationship. I am applying for, in order:

Club Carlson
CSP
MB Amex Plat
Citi AA Biz
US Air

I was going to start at 6 AM since I am up anyway. Would it help me to just wait until normal people hours? Is there anything I can do to improve my chances for the CSP? I do have a biz card with them.

Fwiw, my Barclay account shows my FICO score at over 760.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:36 am

Programs: UA Lifetime PE, Hilton Dia, WN CP, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Kay_nyc
I don't know their award chart really well - you mean 15k for an intra-state Alaska flight?
Their coach flights start at 15k. If you can find the seat, you could fly transcon from, say, LAX to NYC for 15k.

It's been awhile since I looked at their chart but I think transcon's in F start at 35k or 40k.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:18 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, AGR S+
Originally Posted by pinguy
Their coach flights start at 15k. If you can find the seat, you could fly transcon from, say, LAX to NYC for 15k.

It's been awhile since I looked at their chart but I think transcon's in F start at 35k or 40k.
Coach starts at 12.5K OW, 25K RT. First starts at 25K OW, 50K RT.

IntrAstate awards are 15K RT.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Originally Posted by Wellington:21729954
Doing my second AOR soon and I am a bit nervous about getting rejected by chase again due to too many apps and no previous relationship. I am applying for, in order:

Club Carlson
CSP
MB Amex Plat
Citi AA Biz
US Air

I was going to start at 6 AM since I am up anyway. Would it help me to just wait until normal people hours? Is there anything I can do to improve my chances for the CSP? I do have a biz card with them.

I don't think time of day matters. If you're up at six, then apply, go to work, and call recon when you get home.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:10 pm

I did my first (mini) AOR at the beginning of the year and thinking about my next moves. Wanted to see what folks think.

My AOR from Jan 1 consisted of
CSP
Citi AA Plat Select Visa Signature
Citi AA Amex Select

I did well with these, but I think I should dump at least one of the Citi AA cards. Both are eligible for AAdvantage Reduced Mileage Awards, so it seems a toss up but I'm thinking cancel the Amex - thoughts? I don't need both come annual fee time in Jan. I love my CSP, so I am keeping that.

Next up I think I am going for the SPG Amex for my first hotel point card. Alternatively I'm considering a targeted offer for Marriott Rewards Visa with 70K bonus after 2K spend in 3 months.

Is there any rationale around the order of doing this (cancel the Citi first, then apply for new card or vice versa?)
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:48 pm
wcj

Originally Posted by Wellington

Club Carlson
CSP
MB Amex Plat
Citi AA Biz
US Air

I would move the Barclay app on the list if you have recent apps. As far as time of day, I doubt it matters.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:00 pm
wcj

Originally Posted by wanderingwolf
I did my first (mini) AOR at the beginning of the year and thinking about my next moves. Wanted to see what folks think.

My AOR from Jan 1 consisted of
CSP
Citi AA Plat Select Visa Signature
Citi AA Amex Select

I did well with these, but I think I should dump at least one of the Citi AA cards. Both are eligible for AAdvantage Reduced Mileage Awards, so it seems a toss up but I'm thinking cancel the Amex - thoughts? I don't need both come annual fee time in Jan. I love my CSP, so I am keeping that.

Next up I think I am going for the SPG Amex for my first hotel point card. Alternatively I'm considering a targeted offer for Marriott Rewards Visa with 70K bonus after 2K spend in 3 months.

Is there any rationale around the order of doing this (cancel the Citi first, then apply for new card or vice versa?)

You should have spent some time reading in this past year as you are missing much of the fundamentals. First, the AA cards, are max rebate of 10k per annum regardless of the number of cards you have. In other words, two AA Plats do not get you 20k miles back. Search that same thread for the timeline on how long it takes citi to return your CL back into credit they are willing to extend when you close your account. It's not overnight, hence the suggestion that you app and move CLs around, if necessary. In terms of which AA card to keep, I would weigh ease of use (Amex v Visa) and the small business Saturday promo you can google. Also, research the citi retention thread as you may wish to consider calling. Another thought is to wait for the increased bonus on the SPG that has occurred in August the last couple of years, but may or may not occur again. Finally, I would give some serious consideration to what you are trying to accomplish,i.e. where are you trying to go. otherwise, you end up with miles and points good for a trip to S. America, but maybe not so good in Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.