Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2013, 11:23 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
For spending 3k in one day in vgc/vr...
Old Nov 26, 2013, 3:01 pm

Advice -Help

Hello all,

I just started applying for cc and would need some advice on my next move.

Some background:
My main goal is travelling to Africa, Europe and India (hopefully next year for India) from AUS.
I have done a little bit of research and it seems that UA and AA would be the best programs for my goals. In terms of CC, I have:
Delta Gold AMEX: Feb 2013 – 110K miles. Planning on cancelling in the following weeks.
Chase Explorer: Nov 8, 2013. Soon to have 55K miles
CSP: Nov 9, 2013 - Coming through the mail but soon to have 40K miles
CS: 790 on credit.com & Sesame and 720 on Karma. History is more than 10 years.

I was contemplating the US Airways since I read it would be good to get it because of the merger and 1 or 2 citi cards.
1. I realized that I should have applied the same day for a couple more cards and was wondering what your recommendations would be. Should I wait before applying and how long? Should I apply for more as soon as possible?
2. How do you figure out what credit agency was used. For the CSP I know it was Experian but by looking at creditboard.com, I realized that there is no consistency when looking at the state. I am confused.
3. Any idea why my TU (Karma) score is so low compared to the others?
Thank you all for your help.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 5:19 pm
Used to be ' simz '

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
Originally Posted by agp423
For spending 3k in one day in vgc/vr...
Sorry, but I have to ask another question.. same CC or on multiple CC of Amex..
Old Nov 26, 2013, 6:01 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Same, newly-approved Amex. It was a no-sh** moment in hindsight. But at the time I didn't think much about it.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA:EXP, GLD:A.Argen., Etihad; Turk SIL:UA, VS; HOT.GLD:ClubC, Loews, SPG; PL:Ritz, Hil, IHG, BtW., R
I would not apply for anything, and certinaly not an app-o-rama if trying to get a mortgage in 6-12 months. I was declined an equity line and one of the reasons was to many hard pulls (about 3 or 4 on each of the 3 credit reporting agencies.) Better safe than sorry.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 7:00 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Just applied for the Chase Freedom for my 18 year old daughter. She is an A/u on my amex but has no other credit. Has a high school checking account with Chase. She was denied for "Not enough accounts opened long enough to establish credit history".

Any suggestions? Should we bother with re-con? She does not want to make a call like that and I would have to coach it every step of the way... I'm thinking just get her an Aeropostale or Forever 21 card to get started and wait 6 months for a new "real" credit card app. What do ya'll think?
From no credit to Citi 50k/Chase Sapphire

day 0 - open credit card at local bank with parent cosign (you'll take a hit!)
day 90 - approved for discover student
day 180 - approved for citi 50k/chase sapphire

Person tried going straight for discover student but was denied, had to go through local bank.. not sure AE or Forever 21 will even accept her.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, CC Gold, SPG Gold, AA Exec Platinum
Originally Posted by Justtony
So..Planning to do first big app-o-rama and would like some insight. I ended up doing a mini one in late August for 1) Barclays Arrival 2) Barclays US Airways 3) Amex SPG Personal; but plan to do a large one at the end of November.

I'm planning to go to Spain in July 2014 and would like enough points for economy for my gf and self. Possibly a quick trip to HK in Mar 2014 depending on whether i find a deal or not. Here is what I intend to apply for:

Chase
1) United Explorer Personal ~60k UA (even with deval i think it s worth on econ class)
2) Chase Hyatt (for future use since no hotels in spain)
3) Chase Business card UA Explorer ? 50k UA

Citi
1) Citi AAdvantage personal
2) Citi HHonors Reserve
3) Citi Hhonors VIsa Sig

Bank of America
1) Virgin Atlantic Card (For Hilton points) based in NY so maybe not since experian pull

Amex (already have 3 amex cc's, 1 amex charge)
1) Either upgrade Amex Hilton to surpass for 60k hilton or apply for AMex Surpass seperately
2) Amex PRG?

May be too aggressive since i already have 2 transunion pulls, and ~6 experian pulls. I may back off on Citi since I currently have no relationship and not do the business app on Chase.

Any pointers or other options out there? at this point i would value airline.

Current Balance:
UA - 55k
US Airways - 36k
UR - 26k
MR - 14k
SPG - 15k; 35k when I meet spend
Hilton - 55k
Barclay - 44k
Pulled the trigger this morning with my App: 5/6
1) US Bank
2) Chase United Explorer
3) Chase Hyatt
4) BOA Virgin Atlantic
5) Citi Reserve
6) Amex Hilton Surpass (Pending)

Probably could of tried some biz cards but still not comfortable with that yet. Will wait to actually start my biz in a few months to go for biz cards.

Thanks for those that helped.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 7:45 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, CC Gold, SPG Gold, AA Exec Platinum
Originally Posted by Justtony
Pulled the trigger this morning with my App: 5/6
1) US Bank
2) Chase United Explorer
3) Chase Hyatt
4) BOA Virgin Atlantic
5) Citi Reserve
6) Amex Hilton Surpass (Pending)

Probably could of tried some biz cards but still not comfortable with that yet. Will wait to actually start my biz in a few months to go for biz cards.

Thanks for those that helped.
6th card approved.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 8:15 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by caGALINDO
From no credit to Citi 50k/Chase Sapphire

day 0 - open credit card at local bank with parent cosign (you'll take a hit!)
day 90 - approved for discover student
day 180 - approved for citi 50k/chase sapphire

Person tried going straight for discover student but was denied, had to go through local bank.. not sure AE or Forever 21 will even accept her.
I will try the co-signer route as you and Flight Nurse suggested. We are friendly with the branch Mgr and others at our local brick and mortar Chase bank, so I will start there.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by agp423
Any other cards that would give me lounge access I can apply instead of the platinum? I usually fly out of or into DTW EWR & DFW on AA or UA. Something with airline GC reimbursement would be preferred to offset the cost.
I like the AMex PLT because of the travel Benny's. I was able to get Global Entry and Pre_TSA plus the lounge access off of one card, really a great card for the Travel Bennies..
Old Nov 28, 2013, 6:54 pm

My CK score is 745.
Should I wait until it reach >750 or it should be ok to do it now?
Old Nov 28, 2013, 6:55 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by duwi
My CK score is 745.
Should I wait until it reach >750 or it should be ok to do it now?
you are fine
Old Nov 30, 2013, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
I will try the co-signer route as you and Flight Nurse suggested. We are friendly with the branch Mgr and others at our local brick and mortar Chase bank, so I will start there.
and.... what has happened?
Old Dec 2, 2013, 1:48 pm

This is a bit off the wall, but I don’t see anything on these boards about the La Quinta Firstbank card and I was thinking about adding it as my 5th card in today’s AoR. There’s a 20,000 bonus for first purchase and another 20,000 for $10k spend. I value LQ points at $0.01. Since I’d be forgoing spending that 10k on a better card, I value the total bonuses at $320 (That’s $200 for the initial signup plus $200 for the $10k spend minus $80 for the opportunity cost of using a better card.) Is $320 worth the credit pull / ding on average age of credit?

The other cards I’ve applied for:
US Bank Club Carlson Business – pending (I already have the personal)
AMEX Delta – approved
Citi TY Premier – approved
Bank of America Alaska Airlines – approved

I’m open to ideas with other banks (Capital One Venture?), but I’m taking a breather on Chase and Barclays this time around. Thanks!
Old Dec 2, 2013, 1:51 pm

Sorry, duplicate post.

Last edited by jmiller2032; Dec 2, 2013 at 2:37 pm Reason: Duplicate post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.