FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1451489-2013-app-o-rama-aor-churn-advice-archive.html)

mia Dec 27, 2012 7:16 am

This thread is an archive of messages from 2013 threads requesting advice on proposed credit card App-o-Rama (AOR) or "churns". These threads are seldom revived after the Original Poster reports results, but they generate a large number of false positives when using Search this Forum to locate discussions of specific cards.

The 2012 archive is located here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...e-archive.html

Posts from discussions beginning in 2014 have been moved here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...e-archive.html

livestrongforever Dec 30, 2012 10:06 am

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Hey guys,

Im planning on doing some APP-O-Rama's before the new year. Exactly on Dec 31st 2012.

THe reason for this is some offers/targeted offers expire today.

Anyways,
Here is my list:

1. Alliant Credit Card - 20k after 1k purchase and 0% Balance transfer APR with ZERo balance transfer fee

2. Citi AA 50k

3. Citi AA busienss or AMEX 50k

4. US bank Club Carlson

5. US Airways 50k

Any other cards that Im missing that would be good?

Note: I have plenty of Chase cards so Im avoiding chase at the moment
Note 2: Alliant CC offer was targeted
Note 3: I had previous Citi AA cards but its been 24 months since last application
Note 4: Credit score is excellent.
Note 5: Im also avoiding Amex as I have 4 cards with them currently, two of them being the SPG cards

Question: Is it true that you can transfer Citi Thank you points to AA? If thats the case, maybe I should get a Citi Thank you card besides AA card. hmmmm

Thanks ya'll!!!

amolkold Dec 30, 2012 1:50 pm

You're better off applying for 2 AA personal 50K offers than 1 personal and 1 business. Get the business card 65 days later, and that's 3 signup bonuses instead of two.

I would apply for the US Bank card first just so that there are fewer inquiries on your report when they pull it, as they are sticklers about that.

And no, Citi TYP do not transfer to AA.

livestrongforever Dec 30, 2012 4:19 pm

ahhhh good to know. thanks!!!

AnthonyGT Jan 5, 2013 6:53 am

2013 Churn archive

I've almost completed the spend on my first 6 cards from back in Nov.(link below) I will end up with(including prior points),:
Hilton: 65,000
AMEX MR: 65,000
AAdvantage: 100,000
SWA RR: 100,000
Chase UR: 45,000

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...errerid=616582

Next week I want add a set of cards under my wife's name. I think it makes the most sense to focus on the same rewards programs with her cards. Is that true or should we spread it around to other programs? Are they are any other issues I should be aware of?

As an FYI, our upcoming travel plans are:
Trip to Orlando in June, round trip on AirTran already purchased. Need rental car for a week.
Trip to Hawaii for 2 weeks in Summer of 2014.
Maybe a trip to Europe if we can fit it in?

Thanks!

Tony

drminn Jan 5, 2013 8:22 am

You are churning wives now :eek: ?

AnthonyGT Jan 5, 2013 9:53 am

lol, perhaps I should change the thread title slightly. :p Or maybe I've stumbled onto an untapped market..........:D

PresskittJon Jan 5, 2013 11:58 am

I'd skip the Southwest cards. They don't help you get to Hawaii or Europe and you already have a nice stockpile.

I personally like Hotwire and Priceline for rental cars. I don't rent often so don't care about loyalty to a brand or earning a few thousand miles while overpaying for the rental itself.

smilinganddialing Jan 5, 2013 12:32 pm

2013 AOR archive

So I think we're ready to do our first AoR (spouse will do this as I am going to stay app-free for a while to prepare for a mortgage app) and wanted to give some background and get your advice if this is the right strategy.

Primary Goal
1. International air travel (for 2) for fun and to attend weddings - expect to do at least 1x/year wedding in Asia and likely 1x/year in Europe and would like to travel to South America for fun

Current Points/Miles
1. UR - 100K+
2. UA - 150K
3. AA - 30K

Current Primary Cards
1. Chase Freedom - for everything under $20 and bonus categories
2. Chase United Club

Current AoR Strategy
1. Chase BA Avios - just aim for 50,000 Avios and don't put additional spend on the card after hitting the $1,000 spending requirement
2. Chase United Mileage Plus Explorer - still no miles from BCKSTGR so might drop this if I can't get the 55K offer
3. Citi AA Personal Visa - 50K after $2,500 spend offer (two browser trick)
4. Citi AA Personal AMEX - 40K after $2,000 spend offer (two browser trick)

AoR Strategy Questions
1. Would it be better to get Chase Sapphire Preferred instead of Chase BA Avios and just strategically transfer to Avios when we need to do a short domestic redemption on AA metal?
2. Would it be better to get Chase SP anyway to make it the primary spend card?
3. Any other thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!

sparkz Jan 5, 2013 1:25 pm

Just wanted to add that there is a 50k link out there for the Citi AA Amex. I was just approved for a personal AA Visa & Amex at 50k with a minimum spend of 2500 for both cards.

trey Jan 5, 2013 2:47 pm

Is there a master churn wait time list anywhere?

Has anyone here or on a blog attempted to list out all the various wait times for different cards before one can reapply for the card?

Thanks

MDtR-Chicago Jan 5, 2013 3:10 pm

One quick thought:

Originally Posted by smilinganddialing (Post 19982032)
2. Chase United Mileage Plus Explorer - still no miles from BCKSTGR so might drop this if I can't get the 55K offer

As of a few days ago this was still available for in-branch application.

PresskittJon Jan 5, 2013 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by smilinganddialing (Post 19982032)
So I think we're ready to do our first AoR (spouse will do this as I am going to stay app-free for a while to prepare for a mortgage app) and wanted to give some background and get your advice if this is the right strategy.

Just want to clarify: your spouse won't be part of the mortgage? Also how long until your mortgage?

smilinganddialing Jan 5, 2013 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by PresskittJon (Post 19982903)
Just want to clarify: your spouse won't be part of the mortgage? Also how long until your mortgage?

No - can qualify just fine by myself so the idea was to have her do all the churning for a while. 6 - 12 months till mortgage apps.

smilinganddialing Jan 5, 2013 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago (Post 19982875)
One quick thought:

As of a few days ago this was still available for in-branch application.

Thanks - just decided to transfer 1,000 UR from my account to spouses and got the offer.

Thanks everyone. Decided to leave out the Avios card due to the annual fee that's included even on Year 1. Got the 3 others approved.