Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
90 Days Between AOR/Churn, Still the Standard?

Haven’t seen this discussed for a while. Seems that 2-3 years ago almost everyone wrote that (at least) 90 days was the basic standard for churn interval. Curious if folks still generally agree on that.

Seems that for Citi, 62 days might be appropriate. Seems that AmEx allows 2 or 3 new accounts in a short time period, then maybe nothing for a while. Chase has a 2 new (personal) accounts per 30 day limit and then possibly whatever you can talk the reconsideration folks into. And Barclays is just a PITA no matter how many days.

Wondering if others have re-evaluated the 90 day recommendation.

Thanks.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Plat,SPG-Plat,Hertz-PC
Originally Posted by szd90
I'm going to call the Chase Business recon line tonight. I'm pretty anxious, never had a business card before, but have done freelance work on the side, so we'll see what they think. Would the excessive number of apps come up again?
Chase Business Landing department is really strict. Yes, they will pull your personal credit file, and will see all hard inquiries on your file.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 2:06 pm

I think 90 days is still a general rule here, but I'm sure more experienced people will chime in soon.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Eh, the whole 90-day thing never really caught on for me. A good amount of posters probably still stick to it, but I do the ol' "apply whenever I see a good offer" shtick. Haven't seen any negative ramifications for that, yet. To each his/her own: do what your'e comfortable with.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Wondering if others have re-evaluated the 90 day recommendation.

Thanks.
I have never done the 90 day thing, and I have been churning for a few years. I have always believed it was a method more for the churner to organize pulls than for banks. It seems for a while now banks have been able to see pulls in real time.

The argument for the churn is that even though the banks see the pulls in real time, they don't see the new account. The new account posts a few days to a few weeks later.

It depends on the goals of the applicant. I only do MS if I don't feel I can make spending for a bonus with normal spending. I have gotten several cards this year. But I tend to just apply when there is an incentive I like and I am ready for a new card.

That being said, I have decided to cool it for a while unless another big offer comes up. I have had enough pulls this year. I got the 2% fidelity card about a month ago, and have been using that. Unless a really big offer comes up, I probably won't apply for anything until mid-January.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by szd90

So given that I don't have a thick credit profile (only owned a couple cards the past couple of years) it looks like 4 applications were too many. I wonder how you veterans are doing it and getting away with 9 applications at a time? Do you hit "Submit" at the same time in different browser windows? Or very carefully diversify which credit bureau will be used for each app? Or once there is track record, it doesn't matter as much?

I'm going to call the Chase Business recon line tonight. I'm pretty anxious, never had a business card before, but have done freelance work on the side, so we'll see what they think. Would the excessive number of apps come up again?
When you do multi app's it is best to do them pretty quickly, I keep the browser window open when I'm done with an app and submitted, and open another window, I do this until I have all of my app submitted. 9 apps should take you roughly 30 to 45 minutes. my last app o rama I hit 9 cards and was approved for all 9. I was shocked at that, I haven't done another since June, I'm waiting until Jan to do it.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 12:47 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Is getting approved for two Amex in one day as difficult as it getting two Chase cards? I want the MB Plat + HHonors for my next round of application. Along with one Citi AA business, Chase UA personal.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 6:51 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Any last minute tips for AOR?

Just completed 3/3 apps for my first AOR!

Want to send out a thank you very much for all the help on the forums, but also wanted to know if there's anything last minute I should add before the night closes…

It went like this (order included)…

1. US Airways - $4.5k
2. Club Carlson - $4.5k
3. Citi AA - $5k

Any last ones?

I already have:
CSP
Hyatt Chase
AMEX BCP
Chase Freedom
Costco AMEX

Thank you! Thank you!
Old Nov 22, 2013, 7:25 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by healthnut
Want to send out a thank you very much for all the help on the forums, but also wanted to know if there's anything last minute I should add before the night closes…
Maybe the Chase IHG? Or another Amex, if you need to improve AAoA... tho there aren't really any incredible Amex offers right now.

However, you could also conserve pulls in case something irresistible surprises you. Might be especially prudent if your file is thin.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 7:31 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Maybe the Chase IHG? Or another Amex, if you need to improve AAoA... tho there aren't really any incredible Amex offers right now.

However, you could also conserve pulls in case something irresistible surprises you. Might be especially prudent if your file is thin.
Yes definitely a thin file… Longest card has been opened 1 year and 10 months… Just want to dig in and get in so I can continue to grow. I'm in law school so salary is small from the firm I work at, but that will change in 1.5 years.

I plan to not app until I can get another AA card (April/May) and then do the SW cards for companion pass October, 2014.

Ideally trying to get to Chicago-Berlin-Hong Kong-Chicago in August, 2015.

Credit score 750+.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by healthnut
... and then do the SW cards for companion pass October, 2014.
For that reason alone, I'd quit where you are. But I am definitely more conservative than most.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Hertz
First Credit Card AOR

Hi all, I am relatively new to this credit card game and finally want to get my toes wet with an app-o-rama. I travel a couple times a month for work and usually rack up 4k-8k/month on my credit card. I usually only fly United (1k) and stay at Marriotts just because I was told I should 'pick 1 and stick with it'.

Current card: Chase Sapphire Preferred (2 years)
Past canceled cards: Chase Marriott and Chase United Explorer (both canceled late last year/early this year before the 1yr mark)

Thinking about the Chase Ink Bold even though I dont have a business it sounds like you don't really need one. Since I have only ever had Chase cards, I wanted to see what other bank cards people recommend I go for.

Here are the options that I am thinking about:

1) Keep flying United for business to keep my 1k, but open some AA cards for the points and fly AA for personal trips.
2) Open up those same cards I already have or had, but in my wifes name and then I get added as an AU.
3) Stop staying at Marriotts and switch to one of the other brands and get the cards for whoever I pick.

Any suggestions?
Old Nov 23, 2013, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by ch1tty
Here are the options that I am thinking about:

1) Keep flying United for business to keep my 1k, but open some AA cards for the points and fly AA for personal trips.
2) Open up those same cards I already have or had, but in my wifes name and then I get added as an AU.
3) Stop staying at Marriotts and switch to one of the other brands and get the cards for whoever I pick.
(1) is a good idea, if you're redeeming for business or first class on AA or partners, since you won't miss the elite benefits that way.
(2) is there a need for you to be an AU? you may or may not want those cards to show on your credit report, depending if you need account age or utilization more. You'd be surprised how infrequently anyone looks at the name on the credit card, especially in the US.
(3) are you unhappy with Marriotts? A lot of us follow a similar strategy for hotels as airlines: stay with one chain on business to max out the perks there, but grab credit cards for others to use for redemptions when the primary program is not available or economical. Marriott is a good choice as a primary program for most people, if you have enough nights for Gold status and you're happy with it.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Hertz
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
(3) are you unhappy with Marriotts? A lot of us follow a similar strategy for hotels as airlines: stay with one chain on business to max out the perks there, but grab credit cards for others to use for redemptions when the primary program is not available or economical. Marriott is a good choice as a primary program for most people, if you have enough nights for Gold status and you're happy with it.
I actually enjoy Marriotts and I think I will be able to keep my gold status through United's shared program so I am not too worried about that. I would like any advice on which airlines would be the best to just use points for flights without having any status on that airline?
Old Nov 24, 2013, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by agp423
Is getting approved for two Amex in one day as difficult as it getting two Chase cards? I want the MB Plat + HHonors for my next round of application. Along with one Citi AA business, Chase UA personal.
Normally with Amex, they will approve one, and the other needs to be reviewed. I was able to get a Delta Gold and SPG, the Delta card was under review but was approved after a 5 day wait. Also CHASE is pretty easy to get multi cards at first, I was able to get 3 chase cards at the same time. But the more chase cards you get the hard it is get more you will have to start closing some after a while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.