Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2013, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by nmp0
I am planning a AOR on 12/23 and would appreciate any feedback.

Current:

Chase (2 freedoms - 2008 PC, June 2013)
Amex (BCP - Aug 2011, SPG Aug 2013)
Citi (TYP - Feb 2013)
Other (4 store cards from 2010-2012, 1 store card May 2013, Discover IT Aug 2013, Wells Fargo Cash+ Aug 2013)
Mortgage refinanced July 2013.

Current CR Scores are:
752 - 12/15 - Credit Karma
715 - 12/15 - Credit Sesame
714 - 12/11 - Discover TU (Utilization lower since 12/11)
Amex Plus scores from 11/17 - EX 745, EQ 736, TU 749 (Utilization lower now)

Pulls (12 months):
Eq: 8, Ex: 4, TU: 1

Plan (in order, CR I think they will pull):

(TU) US Bank: Club Carlson Premier Personal 85k & Business 85k (I froze the 2 bureaus)
(TU) Barclays: Arrival 40k & US Airways Premier World 30k
(?) CapitalOne: Venture $200 & Spark Cash $150
(Ex) Amex: SPG Business 25k & Hilton Reserve 60k
(Ex/Eq) Citi: AA Plat Personal 50k & Business 50k (8 days later)
(Ex/Eq) Chase: Ink Bold 50k & British Airways 100k

My income is approx $50k and I have 7+ years at job. The business is a real startup that I will be starting Jan 2014 (I have my license & EIN but haven't opened business bank account) around my current job so I will have to report $0 income, 1 employee etc. Any suggestions on which business cards to avoid at this point and wait until I have some business income to report?

I figure the Required Spend at $33k in 3 months + $15 in the next 3 months. I have to BB plus other methods already in use.

Plan for points:

Build up points with airlines & hotels for future travel, use cash back to offset fees for points. With starting a business I don't think I will be traveling much in 2014 but I want to build up points with different carriers/hotels to have flexibility.

Thoughts?
Not sure how many of your 4 Ex pulls are within the last 6 months, but my AA Biz was denied for having 6 pulls with in 6 months. So that's something you might want to be aware of, because with AoR will count towards the 6 limit when you go for the AA Biz 8 days after the AoR.

Also, if you are just applying to bank the points with no use for them planned in 2014, I would maybe split these into 2 AoR's. It seems like a lot of cards all at once, but if you are comfortable with it, go for it!

I am very interested in your Barclay's Arrival card - I also have 1 TU pull and I'm looking to get the Arrival, but haven't pulled the trigger just yet.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by ashap
Not sure how many of your 4 Ex pulls are within the last 6 months, but my AA Biz was denied for having 6 pulls with in 6 months. So that's something you might want to be aware of, because with AoR will count towards the 6 limit when you go for the AA Biz 8 days after the AoR.

Also, if you are just applying to bank the points with no use for them planned in 2014, I would maybe split these into 2 AoR's. It seems like a lot of cards all at once, but if you are comfortable with it, go for it!

I am very interested in your Barclay's Arrival card - I also have 1 TU pull and I'm looking to get the Arrival, but haven't pulled the trigger just yet.
I might skip the second Citi because they will probably see all the pulls and deny.

I plan to use the cards for MS or business purchases after the minimum spend.

My hope if that by applying for two cards per bank I will get some of the pulls consolidated (except for Citi with the 8 day rule). I figure I will have to wait 6 months for my next run but I will have plenty of cards until then.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 3:36 pm

I don't need advice, I need a hug.

I have to miss my planned AOR tomorrow.
- BarclayCard Arrival 40K/$1000
- Chase Freedom 20K/$500
- Fidelity Amex 2%
- AA Citi Business 50K/$3000
- If Arrival passed w/o calling recon, BarclayCard USAir MC 35K/first purchase
It was perfect! Every card had a specific plan for its points - bringing family to town, covering rental cars, going to Europe, padding the savings bank account...

But alas, my family will be doing some financial moves where we need my credit score to keep recovering, so no AOR's for at least 5 months.

What am I going to do all day for the next few months if I'm not running to CVS or checking out deals on FlyerTalk? Get real work done?

Condolences, please?
Old Dec 16, 2013, 7:54 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by krisk13
Applied for AA bus on 12/12, not approved (online)immediately, called recon., they said i will get a response in 7-10 bus days.
background: have HH reserve and AA per.. Score 780+ before last aor.

any tips on next step(s)?

The "7-10 day" response has nearly always resulted in an approval. The "let you know in 30 days" is usually a decline.

Sit tight, it's probably already in the mail. The Citibank wheels spin in all directions.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 7:57 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by kitkatft
I don't need advice, I need a hug.

I have to miss my planned AOR tomorrow.
- BarclayCard Arrival 40K/$1000
- Chase Freedom 20K/$500
- Fidelity Amex 2%
- AA Citi Business 50K/$3000
- If Arrival passed w/o calling recon, BarclayCard USAir MC 35K/first purchase
It was perfect! Every card had a specific plan for its points - bringing family to town, covering rental cars, going to Europe, padding the savings bank account...

But alas, my family will be doing some financial moves where we need my credit score to keep recovering, so no AOR's for at least 5 months.

What am I going to do all day for the next few months if I'm not running to CVS or checking out deals on FlyerTalk? Get real work done?

Condolences, please?
awwhhhhhh.... I feel your pain.

We were financing our home, then, immediately afterwords, a rental, when I dove head first into the miles and points world. I had to wait and wait while the app process chugged along. I was like a racehorse at the starting gate when I finally could do my first AOR.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:08 am

I would get the Club Carlson credit card since you get the last night free on a two-night reservation.

Paris (Radisson)
Nice (Hyatt/Starwood have good location on promenade near city center) - Radisson is a bit far from city center.
Venice - Hilton Stucky Molino is amazing but since devaluation, it might be a bit high.
Rome - Rome Cavalieri is amazing as well, outside of city center but free hotel shuttle makes it convenient.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 2:00 pm

UPDATE

Originally Posted by flowfaster
Originally Posted by jarpkor
Intended cards: (in order of application)

1. US Bank Club Carlson
2. Barclay Arrival
3. Southwest Plus Business
4. Southwest Plus Personal (going for that companion pass!)
5. Starwood Amex Business
6. Starwood Amex Personal

CreditKarma: 730

Current Cards (with date of account opening and CL):

11/2010 CapitalOne Platinum $200
3/2011 Chase Freedom $1500
6/2013 Discover It $1800
6/2013 Amex BlueCash Everyday $4800
7/2013 Chase Amtrak $4500

Current credit utilization: 12%
AAoA: 1 year 8 mo
Perfect Payment History

Too many cards? Switch around the order? Is it even necessary to freeze secondary credit bureaus for US Bank since I don't have *that* many inquiries?
Did it now. Result:

1. Club Carlson - Pending
2. Barclay Arrival - Pending, then clicked checkyourapplicationstatus online and it said declined
3. Chase Southwest Business Premier - Pending
4. Chase Southwest Personal Premier - Pending
5. Amex SPG Business - Instant Approval
6. Amex SPG Personal - Pending

Their offices are all closed right now when I tried calling recon. Call right away tomorrow?
In all honesty I think you went a bit overboard on this one. You still have a good shot at them if your recon skills are sharp though. Here is the deal, your current cards and AAoA are very low. Your current credit limits are very low. Banks want to see how you handle HIGHER credit limits before they will spill their guts to you.

IMHO, garden what you have. Ask for CLIs and APR reductions from your current lenders. I am sure you can get Amex above 10k with a SP with time (aka every 6 months). Patience at 1ST is the key. I know it sucks. Call chase/barclays etc.. in the morning and plead your case. Good luck.
@flowfaster: I know my CLs and AAoA are low. My rationale behind applying for this many was:

1. Getting more cards now means building up AAoA resilience to new credit lines in the future, and
2. Since I'm a student and I report income as 30k, I don't imagine my CLs can really get much higher than they are now

Anyways, UPDATES!!

(UPDATES IN BOLD)

1. Club Carlson - Pending - Approved for lesser 60k and Silver status Visa Platinum card version
2. Barclay Arrival - Declined - Called recon. Asked to check application status, the guy just real fast told me the reasons I was declined and what I need to do in 6 months to get approved. He was so quick and thorough I felt completely defeated and just said "thanks" without uttering a word of protest lol. I'll try again in a bit
3. Chase Southwest Business Premier - Pending - Called recon. She asked about my business. I reported expected revenues as 6k-15k and monthly expenses 800-1000. She said no. I will try again.
4. Chase Southwest Personal Premier - Pending - Something weird happened. I called recon, and they couldn't find my application. Called again, and same thing. Is it possible my application didn't go through? I tried applying again online. INSTANT APPROVAL!!! WOOHOO! For 5k. This, along with 2k Freedom and 4.8k Amtrak, I think could be my ammunition in getting that biz card approved, by moving CLs over
6. Amex SPG Personal - Pending - Decided not to call recon, since I poked around a bit and it seems Amex recon doesn't do anything if you call while your app is still pending
Old Dec 17, 2013, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Amex SPG Business - Instant Approval
6. Amex SPG Personal - Pending - Decided not to call recon, since I poked around a bit and it seems Amex recon doesn't do anything if you call while your app is still pending
On Amex you can only get approval for one card, the other card will always go for further review. For me, Amex took 5 days to approve me, the Recon people say they can see the app, but that is all... SO sit back and wait, after 4 days go to the link that was sent you and see if you can see what is going on with it.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
I am planning an AOR for later today or tomorrow, since I want to take advantage of the 50k AS offer before it goes away.

Current Cards (store cards not included):

• J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k unreported CL - 4/2012)
  • Chase Freedom MC ($25k CL - 4/2012 - PCed from CSP Visa)
  • Chase Freedom Visa ($25k CL - 5/2012)
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa ($25k CL - 6/2013 - PCed to CSP MC for EMV)
  • Chase Ink Bold (11/2012)
  • Chase Ink Plus ($25k CL - 7/2013)
  • Chase MPE ($25k CL - 2/2013)
  • AmEx Blue Sky ($25k CL – 7/2012)
  • AmEx SPG Personal ($25k CL - 8/2013)
  • AmEx SPG Business ($25k CL - 8/2013)
  • Citi Dividend MC ($50k CL - 1/2005)

FICO should be right around 780. No late payments or derogs. Hard Inquiries (trailing 12 months): EX: 5, EQ: 4, TU: 2. Last inquiry was from 8/23/2013 from AmEx for the 30k SPG offers.

Tentative Plan (in order):
  1. BofA : Alaska Airlines 50k (EX)
  2. Barclays: US Airways Premier World 35k (TU)
  3. Citi: AA Plat Personal 50k or Business 50k (EX)

Annual income is ~$500k. Any feedback on the order of applications? Or any other cards that I should consider, particularly from lenders that might only pull EQ or TU? My business is a sole proprietorship (consulting side-business with little documentation behind it). If I apply for the Citi AA Business card will they seek verification of the business or give me a hard time?

I am pretty OCD (as you can probably tell from my fairly uniform credit limits) and am only interested in sign-up bonuses that yield >$500 in value. Not looking to clutter things up just for a $100 bonus from Discover or anything like that.

Thanks for any feedback!
Old Dec 18, 2013, 11:35 am

Other users have posted that the 50k Alaska Air card is dead.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 11:40 am

Well, damn. You snooze you lose.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by bribro
Well, damn. You snooze you lose.
it's back in case you were wondering
Old Dec 19, 2013, 9:48 am

More updates

@flowfaster: I know my CLs and AAoA are low. My rationale behind applying for this many was:

1. Getting more cards now means building up AAoA resilience to new credit lines in the future, and
2. Since I'm a student and I report income as 30k, I don't imagine my CLs can really get much higher than they are now

Anyways, UPDATES!!

(UPDATES IN BOLD)

1. Club Carlson - Pending - Approved for lesser 60k and Silver status Visa Platinum card version
2. Barclay Arrival - Declined - Called recon. Asked to check application status, the guy just real fast told me the reasons I was declined and what I need to do in 6 months to get approved. He was so quick and thorough I felt completely defeated and just said "thanks" without uttering a word of protest lol. I'll try again in a bit
3. Chase Southwest Business Premier - Pending - Called recon. She asked about my business. I reported expected revenues as 6k-15k and monthly expenses 800-1000. She said no. I will try again.
4. Chase Southwest Personal Premier - Pending - Something weird happened. I called recon, and they couldn't find my application. Called again, and same thing. Is it possible my application didn't go through? I tried applying again online. INSTANT APPROVAL!!! WOOHOO! For 5k. This, along with 2k Freedom and 4.8k Amtrak, I think could be my ammunition in getting that biz card approved, by moving CLs over
Called Barclays recon again. This guy was a lot nicer. He asked me a few questions, I didn't even ask for a recon, he just took a couple minutes to look at my application, asked me some more questions, then APPROVED ME FOR 5K!!!! WOO

Tried to call Chase business recon. Must have found the wrong phone number because I got an automated credit card application status line. Nevertheless, I navigated through their phone system to get to business credit card application status, entered my social, and then...the automated teller said I had been APPROVED. (Doesn't make sense? Two days ago the CSR said she had to decline me. Now I call and get a message that I'm approved? Is it for sure? Should I call again and make sure?)

When I log in to my Chase account online, I see all my original accounts, as well as the Southwest Premier Personal card. I don't see the business account. Do I need a new login for business accounts?

EDIT: Called a different automated line, this time the automated service did tell me I was approved for the personal, but the business is still under review.

EDIT2: Called Chase Executive line. Lady was great. Introduced me to a business credit analyst. Was also great but had to decline me, saying my revenues weren't enough and it was hard for them to open two credit lines for me under my SSN since I didn't use an EIN to apply. I offered to move credit lines over from personal accounts. MOST IMPORTANTLY, EVERY ANALYST KNEW ABOUT MY PREVIOUS CONVERSATION WITH ANOTHER ONE. Looks like this is a brick wall.

ALSO. I'm considering calling US Bank recon to ask for Club Carlson Premier (85k + Gold + Visa Signature) instead of the Club Carlson Platinum (60k + Silver) they approved me for. Worth it?

Last edited by jarpkor; Dec 19, 2013 at 10:28 am
Old Dec 19, 2013, 11:13 am

I am planning an AOR for later today or tomorrow, since I want to take advantage of the 50k AS offer before it goes away.
UPDATE:
  1. BofA : Alaska Airlines 50k (EX) - Instant approval $12.5k
  2. Barclays: US Airways Premier World 35k (TU) - Instant approval $10k
  3. Citi: AA Business MasterCard 50k (EX) - Initially declined, approved for $7k on recon. See below for details.

Initially denied for AA Business MasterCard (first ever). Called (800) 645-7240 and went through the prompts before getting a foreign CSR on the line. She said I was declined for too many HPs in the last months (only 4 on EX, which Citi pulls) and that there was nothing she could do. I asked for a credit analyst and she said there weren't any, but she could transfer me to her supervisor. Got connected with a guy in Maryland and explained that I've had a Citi credit card since 2005 with perfect history and have had checking/savings accounts at Citibank since high school. Also noted that one of the HPs was for a car loan and another was for a Citi Dividend CLI. He put me on hold for 3 minutes and came back with a $7k CL approval. Upon further inspection, I saw that 3 of the 4 HPs were dated 6/22, just under 6 months, but I wanted to move today after the AS 50k offer came back.

The day is still young. Any other recommendations for cards to apply for? Particularly business cards that pull TU or EQ.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 1:50 pm

UPDATE:
  1. BofA : Alaska Airlines 50k (EX) - Instant approval $12.5k
  2. Barclays: US Airways Premier World 35k (TU) - Instant approval $10k
  3. Citi: AA Business MasterCard 50k (EX) - Initially declined, approved for $7k on recon. See below for details.

Initially denied for AA Business MasterCard (first ever). Called (800) 645-7240 and went through the prompts before getting a foreign CSR on the line. She said I was declined for too many HPs in the last months (only 4 on EX, which Citi pulls) and that there was nothing she could do. I asked for a credit analyst and she said there weren't any, but she could transfer me to her supervisor. Got connected with a guy in Maryland and explained that I've had a Citi credit card since 2005 with perfect history and have had checking/savings accounts at Citibank since high school. Also noted that one of the HPs was for a car loan and another was for a Citi Dividend CLI. He put me on hold for 3 minutes and came back with a $7k CL approval. Upon further inspection, I saw that 3 of the 4 HPs were dated 6/22, just under 6 months, but I wanted to move today after the AS 50k offer came back.

The day is still young. Any other recommendations for cards to apply for? Particularly business cards that pull TU or EQ.
Possibly get the barclay arrival card? That way you could theoretically purchase a US air or alaska flight using arrival miles, and take advantage of the companion ticket at the same time.

I'm pretty new to this, so you might want to get someone else to verify that:

1)US Air and/or Alaska companion pass is eligible to use when the flight is purchased with arrival miles
and
2) You can apply for more than 1 barclaycard on the same day

Just an idea

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.