Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2013, 1:14 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Smile

Originally Posted by PainCorp
You can't get the two citi cards at the same time, you could do the Gold for 30k AA miles though.

Chase rarely approves business cards without a call, I'll see if I can scrounge up some information to send you about the recon calls for those cards.

Amex might just need to verify something, I wouldn't worry too much if you didn't lie about anything, worst case they say no!
Can I please have the link for Gold 30K?

Would it be advisable to keep my existing lines with citi and chase or merge them into new lines? How do banks perceive that in future? Do large CL's come off as 'risky' for future applications (that I have too much CL for one person and shouldn't be allowed more)?
Old Apr 4, 2013, 1:17 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
It's all how you handle the credit, keep you're utilization low and you should be ok.

I don't have the Gold link handy, but it's somewhere in the Citi thread. It's 30k miles for $750 spend in 4 months, easily do-able. You have time, you can only do one Citi app in 24 hours for a personal card, might have even changed since that, I'm hearing conflicting information. I haven't paid too close of attention to the rule since I will only need one Citi app on my next AoR.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:13 am

Programs: BA, AA, United
Citi wouldn't let you apply for 2 personal cards within 60 or 65 days, not sure about the exact number.

However you can apply for CitiBusiness at the same time. I did it in Feb and for Citi AA Visa and Citi AA Business on the same day and got approved, it was a much better deal, 50K spend, no AF, and 150$ statement credit for the first AA charge.

Do not apply for any card tomorrow, do it all in one day preferably with in a few hours.

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Thanks PC. You have been helpful.

Now, time for a quick update.. went through the first app-o-rama and got 3/5.

Instant approvals:
US Airways World MC
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Citi AAdvantage visa (45K; 2500 spending in 3mos)

Pending:
SPG Amex
Chase Ink Bold

Now I applied as a sole proprietor (on Ink bold) since i don't have a business or business income and was half-expecting them to hold back. WIll try giving both places a call tomorrow. Any tips/suggestions on past experiences?

Also, I wanted to apply for Citi AAdvantage Amex but thinking of holding on it till tomorrow. The two pending cards have a spending requirement of 10K! It will be too much to handle. Would it be too late to try for Citi Amex card tomorrow if I don't get approved on the other two cards?
Old Apr 4, 2013, 2:41 pm

Post-recon calls update:

SPG Amex - approved!
Chase Ink Bold - approved!
Chase Ink credit analyst came on the line and reduced the personal credit line by 5K to make free up some credit limit under business card.

Now for the tough part... (off to spending subforum for help)

As for Citi Gold and Business... I think, I will hold on to more applications. I have 5 new cards since last night and don't want to take more than I can handle.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 4:47 pm

Thanks for all the tips. I'll keep you posted on my AOR in a few weeks. Might go for the Marriot 70k deal if I can't find the United 50k link.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by jamescho
Amex SPG is a good day to day use card. SPG has many more transfer partners than MR or UR, plus there's the 5000 mile bonus. Transfer do, however, take a little longer. And since you're already an Amex member, a denial will most likely only result in a soft pull.

The Citi AA cards are helpful if you want to take CX to Hong Kong. Barclays is pretty inquiry and new account sensitive, so that's something you might want to consider when thinking about the US Airways card.
Meh. SPG are high value points, but difficult to acquire (just ~1x) and their higher end redemptions just plain suck. Way better to use your Ink at 5x and transfer to Hyatt if you like high end properties. I might think differently if it was possible to churn SPG cards or if they gave decent signup bonuses. But current signup bonuses barely give you one night at a decent hotel - simply not competitive - I'd even take the Hilton Reserve (with 2 weekend nights at any of their properties) over SPG card despite the recent devaluation.

Many value SPG at 2 cpm or better overall. But Hyatt are only slightly less valuable overall. However, Hyatt is far better value for top end redemptions PLUS you can generate 5x with relative ease. Downside is Hyatt is a relatively small chain. You simply cannot beat 22K/night redemption at the 5 star Vendome in Paris - that's $4.4K spend on your Ink at 5x. You'd have to spend 8x more on your SPG card to get one night a lesser property...probably 12x at an equivalent property. Makes zero sense unless you have BIG spend on your cards and exceed $250K/yr.

URs transfer to United, so you have access to the best airline program, plus can earn 5x. While not as many xfer partners, you've got the best airline partner and a top-notch hotel chain where you can generate 5x points. Nobody else has those sorts of advantages.

The Citi AA cards are good value for CX redemptions. And they have 3 flavors, so you can get one of each (Amex, Visa and M/C) without waiting the 18 months in between.

Agree, Barclays is a PITA for frequent churners - "too many recent inquires" kills a lot of applications. To get around that problem, I'm attempting some bumpage to see if that will help. Unfortunately, the majority of my inquiries are on Experian and you can't bump them.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 8:27 pm

Programs: SPG,United,Delta,AA,Marriott Silver
App-O-Rama help. End of April.

The united 50k is available at the chase branch. And I just opened the spg in my wife's account with the 25K bonus using the method I specified earlier.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 12:38 am
Suspended

There have been many reports of not getting the bonus from in-branch apps though.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
What do you mean here?
Personally if you have to ask this question then you are not ready for the App-O-Rama... My suggestion would be to go to some blogs and read up on the mileage game before jumping in...

Check out View from the Wing, Million Mile Secerts these two blogs are a wealth of information on how to max your spending wtihout really spending any money...
Old Apr 6, 2013, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Personally if you have to ask this question then you are not ready for the App-O-Rama... My suggestion would be to go to some blogs and read up on the mileage game before jumping in...

Check out View from the Wing, Million Mile Secerts these two blogs are a wealth of information on how to max your spending wtihout really spending any money...
Did you read the entire thread before posting?
Old Apr 10, 2013, 1:36 pm

Hey everybody,

The 1st time I started applying for cards was August 2012 and I think it's time for the 2nd round, any advice on which ones to go for would be highly appreciated!

Specific Questions:
1. Should I close the SPG Amex account towards the 1 year anniversary or close it? Is there any benefit for keeping it open, and is it worth it?
2. I like having priority boarding, I used to have it with the Continental Card and Silver status, what card can I apply for to get this perk?
3. Which other business cards can I apply for? Note the business and myself are the same EIN.
4. What personal cards should I apply for now? or is there a specific incentive I should wait on before I take the plunge?

Monthly spend: approximate $3,000 - $5,000

Here is what I did and the results from 1st time:
Application Date: 08/07/12 - FICO 740
1- Amex SPG card - $65/yr fee
2- Citi AAdvantage Visa - $85/yr fee
3- Citi AAdvantage Amex - $85/yr fee
4- Chase Priority Club - $49/yr fee
5- Chase Hyatt - $75/yr fee

Application Date: 12/07/12
6- Citi AAdvantage Business - same EIN as SSN, not a separate entity

Hoping to provide some data points and contribute to the site with my recap as I've gotten so many tips already as a reader of the forum.

History about me:
early 30's - travel mostly for pleasure, based in NYC (JFK, LGA, sometimes EWR) - Star Alliance is my preferred program, then OneWorld (no status), timeshare program with Wyndham & RCI - helps with lodging expenses
- over 10 years of credit history, HHonors Gold through online tips

Older Cards:
Chase Sapphire Preferred 09/11 - my everyday card - no f/x fees, annual bonus dividend miles
Chase Continental Card - cancelled 11/12 they would not waive the annual fee
Citi ATT Universal Card 08/2001
Citi ThankYou 04/2003
Discover 06/2005
Amex Blue 10/2001
Amex Blue Cash 01/2001

Citi Universal, ThankYou, and Discover I use to perpetually carry a 10k balance at 0% I'm in no rush to pay off - but the cards are inactive otherwise.

I rarely travel for work, mostly just for personal trips and I have a full time job. From the last churn, this month I will be using the 2 Hyatt nights on PH Milan, some SPG points for Hotel Kamp Helsinki (cash & points), 50,000 miles each for round trip flights on AA (taxes around USD 115).

Would love to have more trips like this!

Goal: travel and see the world in style (luxury + value), see 35 countries (including 7 continents by my 35th birthday).

Dear seasoned travelers, any advice you have is appreciated...
Thanks again!
Old Apr 10, 2013, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by babiemindy
Specific Questions:
If I was you, I would spend some time reading the bloggers who write about this hobby/obsession.

Start with View from the Wing, Million Mile Secret, Frugal traveler. All your questions will be answered and YOU are the only one who should make these decisions. However, to make them, you need to be informed, those three web site should be able to help you out.

Good luck
Old Apr 10, 2013, 7:32 pm

AOR Advice Needed

Cards I’d like to apply for, in order of preference:
1) CSP MC
2) Barclays US Airways MC
3) Chase Hyatt Visa
4) Chase United MP Explorer Visa
5) Club Carlson Premier Rewards Visa

Cards I’m somewhat interested in:
1) BOA Hawaiian Visa
2) BOH Hawaiian Visa
3) BOA Alaskan Airlines Visa

Score: ~765
Oldest: 8Y
Avg: 2.5Y
Pulls: 3 EX, 6 EQ, 2 TU

Daily Cards: SPG (Q1 2011) & Citi MC (2005)
In a drawer: Chase SWA Personal and Business (Q2 2012), Citi Visa (Q2 2011)

Reason I’m posting all this is there are a few things not in my favor: No mortgage or auto loan (NYC ☺), low average age of accounts, 6 EQ hard pulls (moved recently so had to sign up for utilities at the new place + recently requested CL increases).

1) I’d like to downgrade my Citi MC to a card without a yearly fee (as long as it doesn't reset the current age) and replace it with the CSP.
2) I’d like to get the US Air card, not because I fly US Air but because I’d like to bank the points for the US/AA merger.
3) Interested in the Hyatt card to use the two free nights at a Park Hyatt, possibly Maldives.
4) Interested in the United and Carlson cards just for the points.
5) The other cards seem like good deals to bank points for future trips but I’m not in a hurry to get them since they seem like they've been around for quite a while.
6) Should I consider churning a Citi card since it’s been 18 months since my last app?

So based on everything above, which cards should I really apply for since I don't want to decimate my short credit history?

Thanks.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:49 pm

Programs: BA, LM // HH, CP
AOR Advice Needed

maybe throw in an AA card, personal or business, do add more miles to the AA account
Old Apr 10, 2013, 9:18 pm
Suspended

General guideline is 2 chase cards per AOR, much easier to explain to reconsideration why you need two cards than why you need three.

Do the Barclays and US Bank first, they are the most picky.

Might as well throw in the HA cards, since they'll combine into one pull.

Citi rule is 18 months between apps for the same card, 1 card app per day, 2max personal during 65 days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.