Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2013, 6:13 am

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by PainCorp
Different banks, but FIA handles the cards for both.

That being said, nothing is guaranteed, but that is what should happen, and has in the past. I would do them back to back. You'll probably have to call reconsideration on one, just tell them you want to keep expenses separate and they should be fine approving you.
[emphasis mine]

Did it happen for you? Because it sure didn't for me.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 6:25 am

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by Tronic
Anyone else want to chime in?
I agree with PainCorp. That CITI app looks iffy.
When are you planning on doing this AOR?

I'd give it another month (so that it's more than 65 days out). Technically the rules that apply for CITI are based on previous card applications and not inquiries for credit line increase, but you don't want to take a chance and waste an inquiry.

Are you travelling soon? The 2 nights from Hyatt do expire. So it makes sense getting them if you know what your plans are.
I'd rather get the CSP MC and the United card.
Especially since that 50k offer for United keeps coming and going, and you want to get it before it's gone again.

Here's what I'd get.
(In order of application)

1) Barclays US mc.
2) Club Carlson
3) Chase Sapphire
4) Chase United MP Explorer Visa
5) CITI AA 50k+30k (or 50k business, you'll have to wait a bit between the apps)
6) BoA HA.
7) BoH HA.

I'm not too sure if BoA will approve 3 cards. Maybe someone else can chip in from experience.
I had no trouble getting both HA cards, when asked, I told them I needed 2 to separate my spend.

Don't worry about meeting minimum spend. There are now a ton of ways to do it.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 7:08 am
Suspended

Newbie's first churn

Need some basic assistance here.

Credit score: 705.

I applied for the gold Delta card (the one marketed on all the airline flights; $500 spend-->30k miles). Called Amex and got a product change to the SPG card. Got the initial 10k points, haven't hit the $5k spend for the next 15k points (yet).

Got the Hyatt Chase Visa about a week ago (going to use the free nights from the $1k spend on an upcoming honeymoon).

Got the USAir Barclay's card last. Hit the first spend, waiting for the 35k points to be deposited. Applied again this week (stupidly--again, I'm a newbie) and they're taking time to consider my second app. Got greedy here (hope it doesn't negatively effect my credit score or chances of getting subsequent cards).

Wondering what I should do next.

I'm looking more towards airline cards than Chase UR or AMEX MR cards. (I don't want to have a bunch of $3k in 3 month spends coming up). The $1k in 3 month spends are just easier for me right now.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
There are some good tricks in the "manufactured spending" forum on how to create spending for minimum spends.

However, a 705 credit score is probably borderline. I don't know why it is not higher - don't know if you have high utilization, a short credit history, or what.

I understand your position - I'm kind of hooked - I get a few cards, and within a month or two I'm jonesing for more. But I don't know how far you can go with a 705.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 8:59 am

April AOR - please make suggestions. Fairly new to the game

Hey guys,

I'm fairly new at this game and below are the credit cards that I have so far with sign up dates. I know I didn't get them all at once in an AOR so that's what I'm trying to do now since my last app was on 2/20. What credit cards would you guys suggest that I get? I'm going to Europe in July and I'm mainly staying in hostels, but it would be nice to stay at a nice hotel for 2-3 nights towards end of the trip to rest. Credit cards I'm thinking of signing up for are: Citi Hilton Signature visa, AMEX SPG, Chase Priority Club Select Visa, Club Carlson 2 Premier cards and possibly Virgin Atlantic AMEX.

My credit score is around 750.. what do you guys think? I think maybe applying for SPG and VA would be too much since they are both from AMEX.

Chase Sapphire Preferred 10/10/2012
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select 12/7/2012
Citi AAdvantage Business 12/7/2012
United MileagePlus Explorer 1/10/2013
US Airways Dividend Miles 1/11/2013
AMEX Hilton HHonors 1/15/2013
Chase Ink Bold 1/25/2013
AMEX Premier Rewards Gold 2/20/2013
Old Apr 12, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Virgin Atlantic is an Amex card, but it's issued by Bank of America so no collision of banks there

Citi and Amex cards you chose are what I would choose too so no comment there. Club Carlson card is also great. I have the U.S. Bank FlexPerks, but you can't go wrong with either.

In terms of Chase, you can also get the Chase Ink Plus at some point. Maybe not necessarily now since you have Ink Bold and CSP, but it does give a 50k bonus after $5k spend. This is a business card.

While the Chase Priority Club card is a good card with the annual night certificate, I tend not to get Chase hotel cards unless I have a particular stay in mind. Priority Club points can be bought for 0.7 cents each so you're only getting $560 at most with the 80k signup bonus in a VERY nonliquid currency (PC points are not flexible like Ultimate Rewards). Of course, if you have Priority Club stays planned, that changes everything.

I would probably go for Chase Freedom first; not a big signup bonus at 10k, but it's pretty easy to maximize their 5x per dollar rotating bonus categories for an extra 30k each year. There's also British Airways card, but that signup bonus dropped to 50k so it may be good to wait until 100k offers come around again.

Originally Posted by cronin85
Hey guys,

I'm fairly new at this game and below are the credit cards that I have so far with sign up dates. I know I didn't get them all at once in an AOR so that's what I'm trying to do now since my last app was on 2/20. What credit cards would you guys suggest that I get? I'm going to Europe in July and I'm mainly staying in hostels, but it would be nice to stay at a nice hotel for 2-3 nights towards end of the trip to rest. Credit cards I'm thinking of signing up for are: Citi Hilton Signature visa, AMEX SPG, Chase Priority Club Select Visa, Club Carlson 2 Premier cards and possibly Virgin Atlantic AMEX.

My credit score is around 750.. what do you guys think? I think maybe applying for SPG and VA would be too much since they are both from AMEX.

Chase Sapphire Preferred 10/10/2012
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select 12/7/2012
Citi AAdvantage Business 12/7/2012
United MileagePlus Explorer 1/10/2013
US Airways Dividend Miles 1/11/2013
AMEX Hilton HHonors 1/15/2013
Chase Ink Bold 1/25/2013
AMEX Premier Rewards Gold 2/20/2013
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:06 am

Thank you for your suggestions. I already have Chase Freedom card that I signed up about 2 years ago and I plan on getting Ink Plus when my Ink Bold comes up for renewal so I can maybe leverage getting new card with getting annual fee waived. Thank you for your insight on Chase Priority Club as I had no idea. I'm not planning on staying at any of their hotels, but it looked like a good idea with first year annual fee waived.

Originally Posted by TheMilesProfessor
Virgin Atlantic is an Amex card, but it's issued by Bank of America so no collision of banks there

Citi and Amex cards you chose are what I would choose too so no comment there. Club Carlson card is also great. I have the U.S. Bank FlexPerks, but you can't go wrong with either.

In terms of Chase, you can also get the Chase Ink Plus at some point. Maybe not necessarily now since you have Ink Bold and CSP, but it does give a 50k bonus after $5k spend. This is a business card.

While the Chase Priority Club card is a good card with the annual night certificate, I tend not to get Chase hotel cards unless I have a particular stay in mind. Priority Club points can be bought for 0.7 cents each so you're only getting $560 at most with the 80k signup bonus in a VERY nonliquid currency (PC points are not flexible like Ultimate Rewards). Of course, if you have Priority Club stays planned, that changes everything.

I would probably go for Chase Freedom first; not a big signup bonus at 10k, but it's pretty easy to maximize their 5x per dollar rotating bonus categories for an extra 30k each year. There's also British Airways card, but that signup bonus dropped to 50k so it may be good to wait until 100k offers come around again.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by jatink129
I agree with PainCorp. That CITI app looks iffy.
When are you planning on doing this AOR?

I'd give it another month (so that it's more than 65 days out). Technically the rules that apply for CITI are based on previous card applications and not inquiries for credit line increase, but you don't want to take a chance and waste an inquiry.

Are you travelling soon? The 2 nights from Hyatt do expire. So it makes sense getting them if you know what your plans are.
I'd rather get the CSP MC and the United card.
Especially since that 50k offer for United keeps coming and going, and you want to get it before it's gone again.

Here's what I'd get.
(In order of application)

1) Barclays US mc.
2) Club Carlson
3) Chase Sapphire
4) Chase United MP Explorer Visa
5) CITI AA 50k+30k (or 50k business, you'll have to wait a bit between the apps)
6) BoA HA.
7) BoH HA.

I'm not too sure if BoA will approve 3 cards. Maybe someone else can chip in from experience.
I had no trouble getting both HA cards, when asked, I told them I needed 2 to separate my spend.

Don't worry about meeting minimum spend. There are now a ton of ways to do it.
I suppose I'll wait 65 days because of the mistimed CITI CL request. I don't have any vacations planned so no huge hurry. Hyatt nights are good for 1 year? I'd really like 1-5 but I'll probably settle with Barclays US Air, CSP, United MP and a CITI.

Thanks
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:27 pm

Thank you for your suggestions. I already have Chase Freedom card that I signed up about 2 years ago and I plan on getting Ink Plus when my Ink Bold comes up for renewal so I can maybe leverage getting new card with getting annual fee waived. Thank you for your insight on Chase Priority Club as I had no idea. I'm not planning on staying at any of their hotels, but it looked like a good idea with first year annual fee waived.
With Chase, once you've exhausted the transferable flexible Ultimate Rewards currency, the next card decisions should be tailored to individual travel needs. In that context, there are many options
Chase Southwest - 50k offer around
Chase British Airways - 50k
Chase Hyatt - 2 nights at any Hyatt with standard award availability

I personally recently applied for the Marriott card for 70k points, but only because I specifically had a plan that needed two nights at Grand Cayman Marriott that would cost 70k points. I wouldn't have gone for this card otherwise.

Because none of these points transfer elsewhere for the most part, you need to pick the right card for your travel plans with Chase. You don't by chance fly Southwest much, do you? There is a cool way to get a companion pass by earning 110k points in a single year. That's pretty valuable.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Make sure you do the Club Carlson cards first in your AOR. US Bank can be finicky on approvals, so it's good to get them and Barclays in first to limit their view to other pulls.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 2:34 pm

I agree with redtop. With a 705, you should take it easy. Every application causes a hard inquiry, which dings your credit score a few points and takes months to recover. Moreover, with a borderline credit score, banks are more closely watching your recent inquiries and sudden opening of new accounts. If it's a short credit history or low credit line, then your score may possibly rise in 6 months from longer credit history and higher credit line. Just don't overdo it with applications right now. If you have problems or late payments, the credit inquiries will only cause your score to go lower.

You got a Chase, Amex and Barclays card so you got the major banks covered at this point for the next few months. The only possibility now is Citi AA Card for 50k signup bonus or a U.S. Bank FlexPerks or Club Carlson card.

But I really would not get any more cards on this round. I would wait at least 3 months. Banks will usually not approve you for a second card within less than 90 days.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Thanks for the advice. I'll heed it.

For what it's worth/background info: my credit score is a 705 after getting approved for all those cards. Furthermore, Chase Hyatt was approved 2 days after Barclay's approved me for the USAir.

Again, I'm going to hold off. That being said, I really want that Citi AA card. Hope the 50k offer sticks around for the next 3-6 months.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 2:55 pm

Thank you! I wanted to exhaust hotel awards in this one since I don't have any right now. Next one I'll get Virgin Atlantic and Southwest. Thank you for your suggestions and I applied for Priority Club since I want to stay at their South Beach property next spring.

Originally Posted by TheMilesProfessor
With Chase, once you've exhausted the transferable flexible Ultimate Rewards currency, the next card decisions should be tailored to individual travel needs. In that context, there are many options
Chase Southwest - 50k offer around
Chase British Airways - 50k
Chase Hyatt - 2 nights at any Hyatt with standard award availability

I personally recently applied for the Marriott card for 70k points, but only because I specifically had a plan that needed two nights at Grand Cayman Marriott that would cost 70k points. I wouldn't have gone for this card otherwise.

Because none of these points transfer elsewhere for the most part, you need to pick the right card for your travel plans with Chase. You don't by chance fly Southwest much, do you? There is a cool way to get a companion pass by earning 110k points in a single year. That's pretty valuable.

I read that and did just as you said, thanks for heads up!

Originally Posted by PainCorp
Make sure you do the Club Carlson cards first in your AOR. US Bank can be finicky on approvals, so it's good to get them and Barclays in first to limit their view to other pulls.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Thank you! I wanted to exhaust hotel awards in this one since I don't have any right now. Next one I'll get Virgin Atlantic and Southwest. Thank you for your suggestions and I applied for Priority Club since I want to stay at their South Beach property next spring.
Virgin Atlantic transfers 1:2 to dis-HHonors if you really want Hilton points.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pricesquire
Again, I'm going to hold off. That being said, I really want that Citi AA card. Hope the 50k offer sticks around for the next 3-6 months.
It's been around for a while, seems to be a pretty standard offer. I think you're safe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.