Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sfmom
Thank you for all your input!

Flight nurse, thanks for your thoughts. I keep worrying the banks will cut me off, though it sounds like that rarely happens.
You will hit the point in which you will get a denial it happens to all of us, but as I stated, citi is really the way to go to get 100K each of AA points easily...
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:57 am

This was the part I am most fuzzy about. What happens after they start to deny? Can you wait a year and then restart? Two? Or do they never let one back in?

I could skip the second round of Citi apps if it means they won't cut me off later.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: all, none, somewhere in between
Originally Posted by chookshook
Why do you want the gold delta card? The miles aren't worth much. If I were you I would add another chase card instead to save a pull.
I didn't realize this benefit, or the lack of benefit on the gold card. I kinda assumed miles were miles, and mostly equivalent (plus the low minimum spend, and I like the idea of have have miles is many programs for flexibility).

I would need a low required spend card from Chase to be able to apply for another with them. 1k or below I'd say.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by jmj8778
Do you think I'll still get it or should I not apply for the Amex Gold Delta?

To answer your question, plain stupidity. The bloggers were raving about it and I hadn't researched churning or learned about AoR yet. It was the impetus for learning about all this and doing this research.
It may not matter. I've been approved for two personal Amex cards on the same day as recently as this past January. But not sure about it being four days apart. The Amex Gold Delta has yet to entice me and the conventional wisdom is that Delta points are among the least valuable. If I were you, I'd consider letting that one go for now.

Focus on your other three cards. Then take stock of the impact on your scores. For me, it's more of a marathon than a Sprint. Especially if you don't have a specific goal in mind.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sfmom
This was the part I am most fuzzy about. What happens after they start to deny? Can you wait a year and then restart? Two? Or do they never let one back in?

I could skip the second round of Citi apps if it means they won't cut me off later.
Usually like with Chase, they want you to move credit limits around, same with Citi. Not too sure about Amex... You have a ways to go before you have to worry about it though.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 2:11 pm

I didn't realize this benefit, or the lack of benefit on the gold card. I kinda assumed miles were miles, and mostly equivalent (plus the low minimum spend, and I like the idea of have have miles is many programs for flexibility).

I would need a low required spend card from Chase to be able to apply for another with them. 1k or below I'd say.
The Hyatt card would fit the bill. Two free nights at any Hyatt Hotel in the world after 1k spend. It can be used at expensive destinations such as Paris, NY, or Hawaii.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by patternseverywhere
It may not matter. I've been approved for two personal Amex cards on the same day as recently as this past January. But not sure about it being four days apart. The Amex Gold Delta has yet to entice me and the conventional wisdom is that Delta points are among the least valuable. If I were you, I'd consider letting that one go for now.

Focus on your other three cards. Then take stock of the impact on your scores. For me, it's more of a marathon than a Sprint. Especially if you don't have a specific goal in mind.
Scratched the Delta card, but thinking about adding in the United Business Card. Seems like a good fit from a lot of perspectives.

My only concern is that I just cancelled my United personal card. Shouldn't cause a conflict should it?
Old Aug 15, 2013, 2:37 pm

AoR Time of Day Matter

It's getting close to CoB on the East coast. Does this matter? Is it fine to do an app-o-rama now or should I wait for tomorrow morning?
Old Aug 15, 2013, 3:30 pm

Answering my own question, based on today's experience, so that others know. The answer is yes!

Unfortunately, I can't reach Barclay's reconsideration line since it is after 5pm.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 4:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Answering my own question, based on today's experience, so that others know. The answer is yes!

Unfortunately, I can't reach Barclay's reconsideration line since it is after 5pm.
Good to know. I have my AoR planned in a couple of weeks. Looks like I will have to do my apps before work.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 4:41 pm

AoR Time of Day Matter

thanks! was just contemplating the exact same thing - tomorrow morning it is (barclays will be my trickiest too)! Sorry you learned the hard way though
Old Aug 15, 2013, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime PE, Hilton Dia, WN CP, Hyatt Plat
Newbie looking to do mini AoR

Newbie here looking to learn. Let me say this thread is excellent and so many of you are generous with your time and advice. I love this thread!

I just finished reading the past 400+ posts (I started around mid-February and...... whew!) and I'm a little dizzy but going to try and post some intelligent questions. I apologize in advance if these were answered in those 400 posts but I'm confused on a few things.

First a little background. Recently sold my business (but still own the corporation so I have a legit business) and getting ready for retirement once my consulting contract expires in 18 months. I want to spend the next 18 months building points through AoR and churns. DW and I want to travel domestically and Internationally and stay in hotels. We have been flying UA since I have lifetime status and get upgrades a bunch but open to others. We have been staying at Hiltons but open to others.

Metrics:
FICO = 805
CK = 773
40 years credit experience. No red flags
6% credit utilization (pay everything off monthly)
Min spends are not a problem.
San Diego based

Chase SW biz - opened 8/5/13
Chase SW per - opened 8/5/13 (qualified me for companion pass)
Wells Fargo cc - opened 1994
Chase UA Club - opened 2011
Dell LOC- opened 2006 (appears to me to be a cc on credit report)
SteinMart - opened 2010
Chase Slate - opened 2004
AE Hilton - opened 2009

UA - 60,000 miles (earning 5,000 - 10,000 each month)
HHonors - 575,000 points
SW - 115,000 points (after next statement close)

QUESTIONS

1. I believe I should close the Wells cc since they don't do affiliates. But I'm not sure how that will affect my credit since the account is almost 20 years old. Should I close?

2. Is the SteinMart store card affecting my ability to get new cc's? Not sure if I should close it.

3. I believe I should keep the Chase Slate open, even though it gets no perks, so I can use it to move CL around. Agree?

4. For my first AoR, I'm thinking about Chase Saphire AND Chase UA 50k but concerned this will bring me up to six cards with Chase (one is biz). Do you think that's a problem? I've read some have issues going beyond four cards while others have no problem.

5. Including the two Chase cards above, I'll apply for SPG, Biz Amex, BH and Citi AA. All will allow me to build my UA and HHonors accounts except the Citi AA. The Citi AA is just too good to pass up! Am I missing anything?

Thanks is advance for your help.

Last edited by pinguy; Aug 15, 2013 at 5:42 pm
Old Aug 15, 2013, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by pinguy
1. I believe I should close the Wells cc since they don't do affiliates. But I'm not sure how that will affect my credit since the account is almost 20 years old. Should I close?
Assuming no annual fee, this card is mainly helping you by increasing your average credit age. If you close it, you won't lose this weight right away, but in 7-10 years, you'll see a dip in your age when the account falls off your report. Only reason I can think to close is if the sum of your credit lines far exceed your income.

2. Is the SteinMart store card affecting my ability to get new cc's? Not sure if I should close it.
3. I believe I should keep the Chase Slate open, even though it gets no perks, so I can use it to move CL around. Agree?
In general, if your card has no annual fees, then you should keep it open.

4. For my first AoR, I'm thinking about Chase Saphire AND Chase UA 50k but concerned this will bring me up to five cards with Chase (one is biz). Do you think that's a problem? I've read some have issues going beyond four cards while others have no problem.
It's always YMMV. I have 7 Chase cards (3 are biz). The bigger hurdle in your history might be your recent Chase apps (from August). But more likely than not, the worst you will get is a PENDING approval in which case you should call reconsideration and ask them if you can help expedite the process, and then give reasonable reasons for wanting these two cards. If they're still hesitant, you offer up your other Chase credit lines for transfer and worst case, offer to close a Chase card that you don't need anymore. I'll be more than 9 times out of 10 a person with your history will get these two cards (btw, I assume you are talking about the Chase Sapphire PREFERRED card)

5. Including the two Chase cards above, I'll apply for SPG, Biz Amex, BH and Citi AA. All will allow me to build my UA and HHonors accounts except the Citi AA. The Citi AA is just too good to pass up! Am I missing anything?
Which Biz Amex? And for some reason the BH card escapes me. Other cards to consider include any of the Amex Platinum cards that can get you at least 50K Membership rewards points (I believe the Mercedes Benz flavor is the only one available at this time?). Big annual fee, but the perks can easily outshine them ($200 airline credit, Priority Pass, Global Entry, just to name the big ones) and if you keep it less than a year, you'll get part of your fee back. Chase Ink (Bold or Plus) and the United Biz are others that can net you over 50K United miles after the spending is complete. But of course, there's no need to get these all at once. That's what next quarter is for. =)

Good luck.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime PE, Hilton Dia, WN CP, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by jmdeng
Assuming no annual fee, this card is mainly helping you by increasing your average credit age. If you close it, you won't lose this weight right away, but in 7-10 years, you'll see a dip in your age when the account falls off your report. Only reason I can think to close is if the sum of your credit lines far exceed your income.

In general, if your card has no annual fees, then you should keep it open.

Thanks for your quick reply. The cards have no fees. Sounds like a good plan would be to keep the Wells open since it's so old. My total CL on all cards is well below my annual income.

It's always YMMV. I have 7 Chase cards (3 are biz). The bigger hurdle in your history might be your recent Chase apps (from August). But more likely than not, the worst you will get is a PENDING approval in which case you should call reconsideration and ask them if you can help expedite the process, and then give reasonable reasons for wanting these two cards. If they're still hesitant, you offer up your other Chase credit lines for transfer and worst case, offer to close a Chase card that you don't need anymore. I'll be more than 9 times out of 10 a person with your history will get these two cards (btw, I assume you are talking about the Chase Sapphire PREFERRED card).
Yes, the Chase Sapphire Preferred card.

Which Biz Amex? And for some reason the BH card escapes me. Other cards to consider include any of the Amex Platinum cards that can get you at least 50K Membership rewards points (I believe the Mercedes Benz flavor is the only one available at this time?). Big annual fee, but the perks can easily outshine them ($200 airline credit, Priority Pass, Global Entry, just to name the big ones) and if you keep it less than a year, you'll get part of your fee back. Chase Ink (Bold or Plus) and the United Biz are others that can net you over 50K United miles after the spending is complete. But of course, there's no need to get these all at once. That's what next quarter is for. =)
The Hilton HHonors Biz AE card. BH - Bank of Hawaii.

I also forgot to list my wife just applied for her first card in her life and got a Chase UA 50k card. Just arrived in the mail today. However, that is under her name and I'm not listed on it.

Thanks
Bob
Old Aug 15, 2013, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold

The probability is that calling Recon with Barclays won't make a difference.

I've had success, but the vast majority of experiences don't end in our favor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.