Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2013, 7:04 pm

Like many others I am new to this and this thread has been awesome so far. With that said I am consider mine and the spouses first ever set of apps (app-o-rama style that is). I was wondering what your thoughts are on the selections below:

ME
AMEX SPG - for great redemption partner flexibility and liking their property portfolio
AMEX BCP - Groceries to $6k
AMEX PRG - Groceries above the $6k plus airlines not on branded card. Thinking about complimenting with a plat maybe even MB Plat after holding for a few months.
CHASE CSP - Dining out

HER
CHASE FREEDOM - 5% categories through year
UNITED MILEAGE EXPLORER - International Flights
BARCLAYCARD ARRIVAL - 2x plus the 10% redemption bonus for flexible travel and primarily (I assume this is the right thought) domestic travel as better than region to region points.

Last either Citi AA or Chase Hyatt

Will need to review finally to ensure minimum spend can be met on all but that is the plan so far.

With regards to where do we go or travel to today, the answer is currently we don't do much travel at all. We are hoping by finally getting into this hobby, getting some rewards for our spend etc we can start doing more. Travel would be domestic and International Europe (UK, France, Germany). Ok with Economy or Premium Economy flights on Domestic but would like Business or above on International. Trying to set ourselves up with best options as I know fuel surcharges etc can be a large amount.

As with everyone here, trying to find the best cards to maximize the opportunities, allow for the nice perks like upgrades etc and stretch your dollar.

Thanks for advice, feedback, comments

WC
Old Aug 15, 2013, 7:41 pm

Programs: Plat IHG, Marriott Rewards Silver, CSP, Ink Bold, USDM, *Wood Gold, AA, Club Carl
Until proven otherwise...I've come to the conclusion that Barclays recon agents are commissioned on card app denials.
Originally Posted by PainCorp
The probability is that calling Recon with Barclays won't make a difference.

I've had success, but the vast majority of experiences don't end in our favor.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:54 pm

Hi, I plan to do my first app o rama soon. These are the cards I'm applying for. Discover IT, Barclays Arrival, Saphire Preferred, Us bank cash+, Charles schwab checking account ( heard it requires a hard pull.. ) , and a bluebird card. What is the best order to apply for these cards ? In terms of which ones are harder to be approved for ? etc.. Is it too much for the first app o rama, will it hurt my credit score too much? I recently had one hard pull on Equifax last week for cli .

My equifax score is 780, AAoA is 3 years, utilization is 7% .
Old Aug 15, 2013, 9:05 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by anonymous4a
Hi, I plan to do my first app o rama soon. These are the cards I'm applying for. Discover IT, Barclays Arrival, Saphire Preferred, Us bank cash+, Charles schwab checking account ( heard it requires a hard pull.. ) , and a bluebird card. What is the best order to apply for these cards ? In terms of which ones are harder to be approved for ? etc.. Is it too much for the first app o rama, will it hurt my credit score too much? I recently had one hard pull on Equifax last week for cli .

My equifax score is 780, AAoA is 3 years, utilization is 7% .
Barclays and US Bank can be hard, they look at how many previous pulls you have. Discover? CSP should be fine. Schwab and Bluebird no problem in fact Bluebird won't have a pull.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 9:11 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by Wildcatz1
Like many others I am new to this and this thread has been awesome so far. With that said I am consider mine and the spouses first ever set of apps (app-o-rama style that is). I was wondering what your thoughts are on the selections below:

ME
AMEX SPG - for great redemption partner flexibility and liking their property portfolio
AMEX BCP - Groceries to $6k
AMEX PRG - Groceries above the $6k plus airlines not on branded card. Thinking about complimenting with a plat maybe even MB Plat after holding for a few months.
CHASE CSP - Dining out

HER
CHASE FREEDOM - 5% categories through year
UNITED MILEAGE EXPLORER - International Flights
BARCLAYCARD ARRIVAL - 2x plus the 10% redemption bonus for flexible travel and primarily (I assume this is the right thought) domestic travel as better than region to region points.

Last either Citi AA or Chase Hyatt

Will need to review finally to ensure minimum spend can be met on all but that is the plan so far.

With regards to where do we go or travel to today, the answer is currently we don't do much travel at all. We are hoping by finally getting into this hobby, getting some rewards for our spend etc we can start doing more. Travel would be domestic and International Europe (UK, France, Germany). Ok with Economy or Premium Economy flights on Domestic but would like Business or above on International. Trying to set ourselves up with best options as I know fuel surcharges etc can be a large amount.

As with everyone here, trying to find the best cards to maximize the opportunities, allow for the nice perks like upgrades etc and stretch your dollar.

Thanks for advice, feedback, comments

WC
I would change 1 of the Amex from me to her. Her's has 2 Chase cards which should be ok. Lots of good choices, I try to use the CSP and Freedom card together which you did.
I try not to tell people what cards to get seeing you know if you'll be needing Hotels, air miles or cash back. So you do what's best for you.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by pinguy
I also forgot to list my wife just applied for her first card in her life and got a Chase UA 50k card. Just arrived in the mail today. However, that is under her name and I'm not listed on it.
Doesn't this card give an additional 5K for authorized users? If so, time to add? (note, not joint user but authorized user)
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Wildcatz1
If you have the PRG, you won't be able to get the bonus on the regular consumer Amex Plat (until you've closed the PRG account for 12 months). MB Plat will still be fine as well as Biz Plat, however.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold

DW and I want to travel domestically and Internationally and stay in hotels. We have been flying UA since I have lifetime status and get upgrades a bunch but open to others. We have been staying at Hiltons but open to others.

UA - 60,000 miles (earning 5,000 - 10,000 each month)
HHonors - 575,000 points
SW - 115,000 points (after next statement close)

5. Including the two Chase cards above, I'll apply for SPG, Biz Amex, BH and Citi AA. All will allow me to build my UA and HHonors accounts except the Citi AA. The Citi AA is just too good to pass up! Am I missing anything?

Thanks is advance for your help.
Citi is an easy way of getting 100K miles each in a very short amount of time. These should be on your list. You should go after the SPG personal and Biz cards. In regards to BH, why, for some reason they aren't offering anything right now. One thing to remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint, so pace yourself on you AOR's..
Old Aug 16, 2013, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jmdeng
Doesn't this card give an additional 5K for authorized users? If so, time to add? (note, not joint user but authorized user)
Yes.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 6:43 am

Programs: AA (EXP), HH (Diamond), SPG (Platinum), HGP (Diamond), National Car (Exec Elite)
Anyone considering the AMEX Plat should wait until they come out with their 100K AR points offers. They come around every now and then. I got it in January and they have gone a LONG way.

Just a small suggestion unless you really want it NOW (which is understandable with the lounge access).
Old Aug 16, 2013, 6:56 am

Programs: UA Lifetime PE, Hilton Dia, WN CP, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by jmdeng
Yes. I had added my name while filling out the online app then realized if I added it later, I would get 5k miles
Old Aug 16, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: UA Lifetime PE, Hilton Dia, WN CP, Hyatt Plat
How many calendar days in a typical AoR?

I've read the past five months of this thread and still have a question.

Some AoR's seem to be completed in one day. Others write they take up to a month to do an AoR?

When I Google App-O-Rama outside FT, various sites indicate it should be done within a day to hide the multiple hard pulls.

What's typical? One day? Couple days? One week?

Thanks
Old Aug 16, 2013, 9:00 am

Programs: AA (EXP), HH (Diamond), SPG (Platinum), HGP (Diamond), National Car (Exec Elite)
While I've only done a couple of AOR's, I do them all in one day.

Credit Sesame (credit monitoring service) tells me the next day of all the hard pulls on Experian. I figure this justifies my decision to do AOR in one day since the pulls immediately show up and may have to explain if I spread them out.

But that is just me.

I've read the past five months of this thread and still have a question.

Some AoR's seem to be completed in one day. Others write they take up to a month to do an AoR?

When I Google App-O-Rama outside FT, various sites indicate it should be done within a day to hide the multiple hard pulls.

What's typical? One day? Couple days? One week?

Thanks
Old Aug 16, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by jmj8778
… Does this matter? Is it fine to do an app-o-rama now or should I wait for tomorrow morning?
Originally Posted by jmj8778
… The answer is yes! …
My apologies, I’m completely confused. It’s uncertain if “yes” is the answer to the first question or the second question. If it’s the answer to the first question would you please be so kind as to expound upon the answer. If it’s the answer to the second question, which is actually 2 questions, please tell us if it’s the answer to the first half or the second half. Thank you very much.

I realize that we can assume what you meant, but we all know what happens when you assume …

(This is actually exemplary of a classic obnoxious answer to a simple question. Question: Is it raining outside or is it sunny? Answer: Yes. The question has been answered and may very well have been answered accurately but the answer provides little or no useful information. Try it one in a while, answer any question with an “or” in the middle of 2 questions with “yes” or “no”. You’ll get some very interesting responses. Many people will simply assume your reply is confirmatory of what they want the answer to be. Others will give a funny look. Others will get downright annoyed. Sorry for the thread creep. )

Thanks again.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 9:07 am

What about day of week ?

Does day of week matter, Friday today and thinking of applying for some ?

Thanks

WC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.