Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2013, 9:10 am

JM thanks for the info, what about those that report being PRG members for a few months then seeing offers to upgrade to Plat in their AMEX inboxes (SM), I assume that is still ok ?

Originally Posted by jmdeng
If you have the PRG, you won't be able to get the bonus on the regular consumer Amex Plat (until you've closed the PRG account for 12 months). MB Plat will still be fine as well as Biz Plat, however.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 9:11 am

Thanks JJ, much appreciated

Originally Posted by jjmiller69
I would change 1 of the Amex from me to her. Her's has 2 Chase cards which should be ok. Lots of good choices, I try to use the CSP and Freedom card together which you did.
I try not to tell people what cards to get seeing you know if you'll be needing Hotels, air miles or cash back. So you do what's best for you.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 9:14 am

Funtrain, I fear I may have stopped my targetted offers coming. Let me explain. For those that arent aware there is a cool iOS app called PaperKarma that once you scan (using your iOS camera) your junk mail will unsubscribe you. This has been real effective and back when I last got an offer I was not in the market for AMEX so scanned it, here comes the …………………….doh moment !

So with that said not sure if it makes sense to apply for what I want now or just start 1 AMEX (say SPG or BCP) and that way hope to get back on the list ?

So lesson learned, PaperKarma is real good for those that haven't tried it, for those wanting offers, maybe too good

WC

Originally Posted by funtrainsf
Anyone considering the AMEX Plat should wait until they come out with their 100K AR points offers. They come around every now and then. I got it in January and they have gone a LONG way.

Just a small suggestion unless you really want it NOW (which is understandable with the lounge access).
Old Aug 16, 2013, 9:21 am

Programs: all, none, somewhere in between
So my advice is to apply in the morning, on a business day.

• Some reconsideration dept's close at 5pm Eastern (Barclay's at least does).
  • Inquiries post overnight. I called Barclay's first thing this morning and they brought up all my recent applications as reason for denial. (Applications were yesterday around CoB)
  • If you call in the morning, you don't just have time for a single reconsideration call, you have time for a few, all prior to when miles post. Better safe than sorry!

Personally, I don't think day of the week would matter as long as you do it earlier in the day, since inquiries post overnight.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: all, none, somewhere in between
Originally Posted by dublin487
thanks! was just contemplating the exact same thing - tomorrow morning it is (barclays will be my trickiest too)! Sorry you learned the hard way though
^ thanks! I was kinda shocked... I assumed that if time of day mattered some blogger or FTer would have posted something, somewhere...
Old Aug 16, 2013, 9:31 am

Programs: AA (EXP), HH (Diamond), SPG (Platinum), HGP (Diamond), National Car (Exec Elite)
Much of the AMEX offers aren't targeted. If you even follow one travel blogger or frequent these forums, you'll know when any REAL NICE Amex (or other cc offers) come up. Everyone posts it, but you HAVE to jump on it.

Back in January I had gotten wind (through a blogger I think) of the Amex 100K Plat offer and jumped on it within seconds. The offer disappeared pretty quick after I got approved. Also, the offer came around 2 months after my original AOR where I have gotten SPG.

Originally Posted by Wildcatz1
Funtrain, I fear I may have stopped my targetted offers coming. Let me explain. For those that arent aware there is a cool iOS app called PaperKarma that once you scan (using your iOS camera) your junk mail will unsubscribe you. This has been real effective and back when I last got an offer I was not in the market for AMEX so scanned it, here comes the …………………….doh moment !

So with that said not sure if it makes sense to apply for what I want now or just start 1 AMEX (say SPG or BCP) and that way hope to get back on the list ?

So lesson learned, PaperKarma is real good for those that haven't tried it, for those wanting offers, maybe too good

WC
Old Aug 16, 2013, 10:14 am

How long should I wait between chase apps? I applied for 3 cards and a bunch of others about 3 months ago. Is it too soon to apply for more chase cards?
Old Aug 16, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
I think AORs on the same day or even seconds doesn't really prevent the bank to see the other inquiries. I've done AOR within seconds of each other and the agent on a recon call has told me before of all the other inquiries they see from that same day from other banks.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime PE, Hilton Dia, WN CP, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by frudd38
I think AORs on the same day or even seconds doesn't really prevent the bank to see the other inquiries. I've done AOR within seconds of each other and the agent on a recon call has told me before of all the other inquiries they see from that same day from other banks.
helpful info. Thanks
Old Aug 16, 2013, 6:13 pm

I'm not sure this is universal. I typically do mine on the same day, and when I call reconsideration, there's never a mention of my other apps from different banks (same bank apps, is another story). Of course, that's not to say they can't see them.

Still, one of the benefits of same day (or within seconds) apps is if you're doing multiples from the same bank. Then there's a good chance that those same bank apps will only show up as one hard pull. The negative though is that you're more likely to have to call reconsideration to get your apps through.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
I believe you're all overthinking this.

The moment you hit the submit button (or perhaps a second later depending on your connection) the inquiry hits the credit bureau. It's done, and it's completely irrelevant when you submit the application: on Sun, at 5PM, 5AM, Monday morning, Saturday night or during the lunar eclipse--the next lender from your AOR list or rather their computers will see that hit and act accordingly. It doesn't matter how fast you are or if you apply from several computers at the same time. I know there are different theories and each has their adepts, but honestly, I'm yet to experience the advantages of AORing timed to a certain day or a certain moment or see any non-anectodal evidence to that effect.

Having said that, what I have personally experienced were no hard inquiries when there were supposed to be some, or an inquiry hitting a credit bureau that was frozen at the moment. I don't know how to explain those quirks but they have happened. So I guess, when things like that happen, people tend to look for some logical explanations and/or try to make those peculiarities work in their favor.

As to reconsideration calls--what's the rush? Why not give the lender a chance to review your application on their own timeline? I very rarely receive instant approvals nowadays, so during my last AOR I decided to experiment. I decided not to call for reconsideration before their own process ran its course. Guess what: got every single card I'd applied for. Chase reduced my credit line on one of the cards (on their own ) in order to open me a new account. Yes, it took some time, but on the other hand I saved tons of time not making those calls or obsessing over nothing. Just saying...
Old Aug 16, 2013, 10:53 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by chookshook
How long should I wait between chase apps? I applied for 3 cards and a bunch of others about 3 months ago. Is it too soon to apply for more chase cards?
91 days. You should be safe. Chase reconsideration phone line is easiest to deal with.

Here's numbers you need to call if rejected.

http://www.thepointscollector.com/20...-worth-a-shot/
Old Aug 16, 2013, 11:06 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
+1. I painfully learned this when I put amex as my last app. This year I was more careful and sequenced it with bureau and issuer quirkiness.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Exactly. The reason why it makes sense to run AOR in one day is not that they "won't see you" but to give yourself more time between the apps. It's harder if you apply for 1-2 cards every week.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pinguy
I've read the past five months of this thread and still have a question.

Some AoR's seem to be completed in one day. Others write they take up to a month to do an AoR?When I Google App-O-Rama outside FT, various sites indicate it should be done within a day to hide the multiple hard pulls.

What's typical? One day? Couple days? One week?

Thanks
One day... Just as google has stated, to hide the multi hits... The time one would do it over a month is with current state of citi CC's with the aavantage cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.