Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2013, 6:59 pm

Programs: I like them all
Originally Posted by slider34

I have great credit but I still feel like a school boy when I hit submit waiting for that great "approved" message. Also expecting for this to all come to a stop some day and me having to actually pay for travel someday too.
School boy this way as well!
Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PainCorp
^

I'd rather lose 5k miles than give the bloggers more money.
Interesting! I will gladly give the bloggers more money from someone else's pocket for 5K extra miles. Yeah, I'm that unscrupulous.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mnscout
Interesting! I will gladly give the bloggers more money from someone else's pocket for 5K extra miles. Yeah, I'm that unscrupulous.
Take a look at MilesBuzz!, still agree?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:09 pm

s attending um ann arbor in fall, it's about $300rt from ny. He'll need three trips per year, we'll be up at least once per year, so that's $1200/year or $5k over the course of four years. I'd like to use ff miles for the trips, not sure what the best cards are for this goal.

six months ago signed up for and have met min spend:
us banc - carlson premier and business
chase - ink bold, ba avios 100K offer (earned ticket + companion)
citi - premier thank you

I have about $12k of business spend coming up.

ideas? tia!
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:15 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by baller4ever85
Wow I just read all 58 pages and I wanted to use miles t
Originally Posted by GuySmylie
Ok read through most this thread, but still have some questions.

Hey, welcome to Flyertalk both of you!

It's so great to see such informed first posts-- I snipped off most of them, but they surely showed that you learned a lot from reading the thread. The knowledge here is tremendous, and the benefits, enormous.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by quietdesperation
s attending um ann arbor in fall, it's about $300rt from ny. He'll need three trips per year, we'll be up at least once per year, so that's $1200/year or $5k over the course of four years. I'd like to use ff miles for the trips, not sure what the best cards are for this goal.

six months ago signed up for and have met min spend:
us banc - carlson premier and business
chase - ink bold, ba avios 100K offer (earned ticket + companion)
citi - premier thank you

I have about $12k of business spend coming up.

ideas? tia!
Where you flying from? however, $300 ticket really isn't worth using FF points.... Southwest Cards personnel and Business card will be ending the 50K each.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
There are links for a 50K Citi AA cards here on FT, if you and your wife each get one, plus the business cards each, that is 90K each.
Very valuable info! I just wanted to add that instead of the Citi business cards, they can wait the 8 days and apply for the exact same 50K Visa to get 100,000 each. That gives them an extra 20,000 together. AND 65 days later, (if the city gravy train is still flowing) they can do it again for another 100,000 each. I have mostly been reading the Citi Forum lately.. Can ya tell? Haha.

BTW, I just got engaged! SOOO im starting to work a little harder on that plan.. Free honeymoon? YES please!
Old Aug 5, 2013, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by hmmurdock
Personally I'd rather (and did) sign up for the 35K US Airways ($89 fee waived), which can be found on FT on the special credit offers thread. 5K extra miles for $89 just doesn't make sense to me.
does the no annual fee version come with free 10k miles every anniversary?
Old Aug 5, 2013, 9:33 am

if I apply for one AX Biz card and one personal card in one day, will the hard pulls be combined? Thanks
Old Aug 5, 2013, 2:34 pm

Hi, new member here. Just wanted some expert advice since I am new to this game.

Background info: Got my first secured credit card at 18 in 2008. My creditkarma score is at 770-780, and didn't seem to be affected at all since my apporama(says I have only 2 hard credit pulls?) I'm single, male, 23 with a stable job and have no trouble at all hitting ANY spend requirement for any cards. Do not plan on making any major purchases anytime soon, (other than a used car with no financing)

My first ever app-o-rama was done over the span of about one month(July 2013), and consisted of:

CSP
Chase Marriott (instant)
Chase Priority Club (instant)
Citibank Gold (instant)
Citibank Plat (instant)
Barclays Arrival (denied: already sufficient credit)

Should I have applied for more? This being my first rodeo I had no idea how many I should have shot for.
Previous to this, the only applications I had were for both chase southwest cards in July 2012 and was instantly approved.

My current credit cards:
Chase Freedom
CS
CSP
Southwest plus personal
Southwest plus business
Amex Blue Student
Chase Marriott
Chase Priority Club
Citibank AA Gold
Citibank AA Plat
Barclays NFL
Nordstrom Bank CC

My questions are:
Should I be canceling any of my cards? Specifically, my Barclays and chase southwest cards? I assume this is the reason why I was denied the Barclays Arrival card. I decided not to call recon due to reading about other members getting denied for the same reason.
The next cards I want are the Chase Hyatt card, Amex SPG, Citibank Business AA, Barclays Arrival, and the remaining two chase southwest cards. How long should I wait until I apply for these cards?
I'm concerned about the Hyatt and southwest cards because I just had three instant approvals from chase and now hold 7!!! chase cards, with about 80k limit between them all.

My goals are mainly AA miles, SW rapid rewards points, and UR points. I do travel to Vegas 2-3x a year, and the main reasons for the hotel cards are to get free stays on the strip.

Thank you for all your help.

Last edited by pushthelimit; Aug 5, 2013 at 2:48 pm
Old Aug 5, 2013, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pushthelimit
Hi, new member here. Just wanted some expert advice since I am new to this game.

My first ever app-o-rama was done over the span of about one month(July 2013), and consisted of:

CSP
Chase Marriott (instant)
Chase Priority Club (instant)
Citibank Gold (instant)
Citibank Plat (instant)
Barclays Arrival (denied: already sufficient credit)

My current credit cards:
Chase Freedom
CS
CSP
Southwest plus personal
Southwest plus business
Amex Blue Student
Chase Marriott
Chase Priority Club
Citibank AA Gold
Citibank AA Plat
Barclays NFL
Nordstrom Bank CC

My goals are mainly AA miles, SW rapid rewards points, and UR points. I do travel to Vegas 2-3x a year, and the main reasons for the hotel cards are to get free stays on the strip.

Thank you for all your help.
If AA, SW and UR points are your goal then stick to those cards. To be honest using points in Vegas is a waste, rates are cheap. Currently there aren't many hotel from the major chains in vegas, I know Hilton or was it Marriot just got on the strip, but to be honest I can find great rates and not burn them in vegas. If you haven't been reading FT boards on credit cards, I suggest you do this before blindly playing this game. As I have pointed this out to many people this game is a marathon, not a sprint...
Old Aug 6, 2013, 2:22 am

What's easier to get approved: Citi AA or SPG amex? Want to get both,
but not sure which one I should get first. Got one Chase and one Citi AA
yesterday, want to wait 8 days and get those two, any advise?
Got two cards (one Chase and one Barclays) at then end of May, nothing
earlier this year.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Big_Foot
What's easier to get approved: Citi AA or SPG amex? Want to get both,
but not sure which one I should get first. Got one Chase and one Citi AA
yesterday, want to wait 8 days and get those two, any advise?
Got two cards (one Chase and one Barclays) at then end of May, nothing
earlier this year.
Since the citi AA cards are churnable, I was say that the AMEX card would be tougher.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:26 am

Just got instantly approved for following

a) Barclays US Air - 35000 (churn)
2)Citi AA - 50000 (churn)
3)Amex SPG - 30000 (first)
4)Chase IHG - 80000 (first)

Deferred for these

a) Chase Southwest Biz (first) -50000
b)Barclays Arrival (first) - 400

Still thinking

a) Chase Mariott - 50,000 mainly because I dint want to weaken the chance of SW biz being accepted and also the 70000 link for mariott did not work for me

Not planning to call recon.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ftbargain
Just got instantly approved for following

a) Barclays US Air - 35000 (churn)
2)Citi AA - 50000 (churn)
3)Amex SPG - 30000 (first)
4)Chase IHG - 80000 (first)

Deferred for these

a) Chase Southwest Biz (first) -50000
b)Barclays Arrival (first) - 400

Still thinking

a) Chase Mariott - 50,000 mainly because I dint want to weaken the chance of SW biz being accepted and also the 70000 link for mariott did not work for me

Not planning to call recon.
Nice haul...

The SW cards are ending today for the 50K, just FYI, but I would assume it will be back again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.