Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by jatink129
You won't have any luck Chase, Amex or Citi.
Atleast I didn't.
They'll keep at it, claiming that the system won't allow them to pull a different bureau and that you'll have to give them the PIN.

BoA (Virgin Atlantic card) will pull anything else you tell them to pull.
Thanks for the info. Very disappointing to hear though. Oh well.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:38 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
I've heard of people who've had luck with getting CITI to pull TU, but that was in CA and not here.

I've only ever seen Citi and Amex and Chase pull EX for us here in CT (and MA).
Old Aug 10, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
AOR advice

I'm planning an AOR and want to run my plan by the experts:

Existing cards:
Amex: PRG, BGR, BCP
Chase: Freedom (PC from CSP), United, Ink Plus
Citi: Forward, TY Premier, AA Visa, AA Amex, Dividend, AA Biz
BoA: 1-2-3
Barclays: USAir, NFL, Priceline

Inquiries in last 6 months / 12 months / 24 months:
EQ 1/2/5
EX 2/4/7
TU 0/2/5

Thinking about applying to:

Amex: SPG (30K)
Chase: Priority Club / IHG (80K)
Citi: AA Visa (50K), possibly another AA Visa or Hilton the following week

Questions:
1. Can I apply for both personal and business versions of SPG? Even with 3 existing Amex cards? If not, which should I do on this go-round?
2. Is it easy to get Ink Bold if you already have Ink Plus? I do not have a "real" business.
3. The Arrival and the United biz card are tempting, but I've seen so many reports of declines I'm leaning against trying. What's the experience on those 2?
4. I've tried churning the USAir card once and was declined. Does anyone have experience with getting approved for a 2nd card on 2nd try? I still have my 1st open because it provides the 5K discount on awards and the 10K anniversary bonus.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 5:41 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by saacman5033
I wouldn't bet on any availability on Hawaiian out of NYC. Potential to do the same thing on Alaska flights though.
how much you want to bet? i am seeing multiple days next june with as many as 5 F seats
Old Aug 10, 2013, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by dukerau
Questions:
1. Can I apply for both personal and business versions of SPG? Even with 3 existing Amex cards? If not, which should I do on this go-round?
2. Is it easy to get Ink Bold if you already have Ink Plus? I do not have a "real" business.
3. The Arrival and the United biz card are tempting, but I've seen so many reports of declines I'm leaning against trying. What's the experience on those 2?
4. I've tried churning the USAir card once and was declined. Does anyone have experience with getting approved for a 2nd card on 2nd try? I still have my 1st open because it provides the 5K discount on awards and the 10K anniversary bonus.
1. Amex will let you have 4 credit cards. Personal or Business, makes no difference but not more than 4. Charge cards are not counted.
Also, apply for both on the same day, you might just get lucky and get your credit pulls combined, but one will be denied automatically...That card will then get approved later on on it's own or by calling recon in a few days.

2. Depending on how long it's been since your last AOR and how much credit Chase is willing to extend to you, you might just get auto-approved for it. If you don't, you can always say that you need it for the ability to transfer points to partner hotels and airlines.

3. You'll have to read the respective threads and go back about 10 pages or so to get the current status of applications.

4. How long has it been? If it's been more than 6 months and you've put a lot of spend on it, you may just get auto-approved or you may be able to talk them into giving it to you by saying you need it for separate expenditures. Again, I'm not the authority here so you'd be best helped by reading the thread.

Cheers.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
how much you want to bet? i am seeing multiple days next june with as many as 5 F seats
For FEB 2014? Sorry though, I should have clarified I was talking about flying in Y as that's what OP can afford for now. And finding Y availability on HA from JFK using any partner's miles is nearly impossible no matter how far in advance the booking.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 6:16 pm

1. Amex will let you have 4 credit cards. Personal or Business, makes no difference but not more than 4. Charge cards are not counted.
To be clear, since I have the personal and biz golds (PRG and BGR) and a Blue, I only have 1 non-charge Amex, so I can get 3 more, right?
Old Aug 10, 2013, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by saacman5033
For FEB 2014? Sorry though, I should have clarified I was talking about flying in Y as that's what OP can afford for now. And finding Y availability on HA from JFK using any partner's miles is nearly impossible no matter how far in advance the booking.
ah yes my bad, apologies
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:13 pm

To be clear, since I have the personal and biz golds (PRG and BGR) and a Blue, I only have 1 non-charge Amex, so I can get 3 more, right?
I may be misunderstanding you, but I think you're confusing charge cards and credit cards that have annual fees. AmEx still issues charge cards. Those cards are not counted towards your limit of 4.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:19 pm

1. ... Also, apply for both on the same day, you might just get lucky and get your credit pulls combined, but one will be denied automatically...That card will then get approved later on on it's own or by calling recon in a few days.
Just to clarify: is that (one getting denied, then approved) true because he already has 3 AmEx cards, or is that how it works for anyone who applies for 2 AmEx cards on the same day?

I'm thinking about doing a mini AOR in a few days, with the AA 50k mile card and both SPG cards. I was going to use 3 browsers and submit them all at the same time. Would I still most likely have automatic denial, followed by later approval (or having to call reconsideration)? Thanks.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by benjiem1
I may be misunderstanding you, but I think you're confusing charge cards and credit cards that have annual fees. AmEx still issues charge cards. Those cards are not counted towards your limit of 4.
Right. Since PRG and BGR are charge cards, I assume they do not count towards the limit of 4, so I can get 3 more Amex cards?
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:59 pm

Looks like there's plenty of availability with UA miles for the month of Feb, save V-Day weekend. Seems like an easy choice, 40K for the flight is 2 cpm. Your other UR points can get you to OZ/NZ one-way, but as others have said, the AA explorer award might be a better option for you, and it's possible the US->AA merger will happen quickly enough that your 40K miles can get you closer to the miles you'd need to get that. If it were me, I would use UA miles to book the flight to HI and start applying for AA cards.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by benjiem1
Just to clarify: is that (one getting denied, then approved) true because he already has 3 AmEx cards, or is that how it works for anyone who applies for 2 AmEx cards on the same day?

I'm thinking about doing a mini AOR in a few days, with the AA 50k mile card and both SPG cards. I was going to use 3 browsers and submit them all at the same time. Would I still most likely have automatic denial, followed by later approval (or having to call reconsideration)? Thanks.
That's just how it works for Amex cards. They won't approve you for both on the same day. And then the second just auto-approves itself a few days later or you can call recon for it.

The AA card doesn't really play into whether or not you'll be approved for the SPG. So you could apply for the SPG and then apply for the AA 5 minutes later. Or the other way around. Makes no difference.

As to whether you'll be auto-approved for the 2nd SPG later on or if you'll have to call recon, I really can't tell you. It depends on a LOT of factors.

Right. Since PRG and BGR are charge cards, I assume they do not count towards the limit of 4, so I can get 3 more Amex cards?
Theoretically, yes.
Practically, no. Amex won't even approve two cards in one day...much less approving three cards.

The second card either through recon or automatically will only get approved 4-5 days later. A third card would not be easy to explain to recon.

Unless if you were just asking generally...In which case the answer is a simple Yes.
Cheers.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 5:24 am

And if the OP wants to build their AA account quickly it seems the Citi cards are churnable once again and should be possible to build a decent balance quite quickly.

See the excellent thread wiki:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ost-first.html
Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:43 am

Theoretically, yes.
Practically, no. Amex won't even approve two cards in one day...much less approving three cards.

The second card either through recon or automatically will only get approved 4-5 days later. A third card would not be easy to explain to recon.

Unless if you were just asking generally...In which case the answer is a simple Yes.
Cheers.
Yep, I was asking more generally. I will be applying for at most 2 at this time. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.