Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2013, 5:40 pm

Programs: Plat IHG, Marriott Rewards Silver, CSP, Ink Bold, USDM, *Wood Gold, AA, Club Carl
It's hard to say no to SPG...if you are going to being staying at their properties then I would say yes given the current best offer. If strictly for airline miles I would say go with a co-branded card dependant on your primary carrier.

Originally Posted by midnightinharlem
Thanks vodkashine. Should I bother getting the SPG?
Old Aug 7, 2013, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by x712xdamx
App-O-Rama day success!!

5 of 5 approved,

4. US Air Barclays Mastercard - 35k miles first purchase (my 3rd!)
Pending, called, answered questions. Approved

Congrats.
For those getting the 3rd US Airways card. Can you supply some data, such as time between last apps and when pending what answers were given.
My wife got turned down for 3 rd card, she waited 6.5 mts between apps and got pending, called to say need for separate spending but rejected for still having a card open.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by midnightinharlem
Thanks FlightNurse and aglasgow. I've read through the various threads on the SPG card, but can't figure out where the real value comes from. I don't stay in many hotels (and thereby get more than 1 point/dollar), so I'd only be getting 1 point/dollar on most of my purchases, right? Given my desired rewards would be in the form of miles/flights on United and US Air, I'm not sure the card makes sense for me. On United, the transfer ratio hurts me, and on US Air, this ends up getting me 1.25 points/dollar, right?

Most of my spending is on restaurants and travel.
The transfer of the SPG points to multi airlines is huge, and when you transfer 20K, at one time you get a 5K bonus. I don't think any of the bloggers leave home without their SPG card...
Old Aug 8, 2013, 10:04 pm

Question Next churn advice? Planning RT flight February 2014, NYC -> Maui, HI (first post!)

Hi all! Long time on-looker, first-time posting!

I'm planning a trip to Hawaii for a friend's wedding in February 2014 (flying out of NYC).

I'm also trying to save and earn miles for a one-way flight to Australia/New Zealand for late 2014. From there I will be visiting some other countries too - Thailand, China, Malaysia, etc - over the course of a year (2015) or more. So I need to keep that in mind when I decide whether to purchase tickets with miles or out of pocket for Hawaii.

What's the best way to do this without screwing myself over when it comes time for my big trip (or when it comes time to purchase the flights to HI)?

About my finances- I don't make a lot of money (po' grad student here). I usually churn only 2 cards at once, or 1 at a time and use a lot of tricks to meet minimum spend if its a big amount (like right now I'm just working on finishing up the $5000 min for Chase Ink Bold 60,000 points). And, from what I can see, the least expensive RT flights to Maui, HI right now are approximately $800. Would rather not spend that if it makes sense to cover the cost with miles.

Here's my miles breakdown:
  • 2,212 - Delta Airline Miles (these are leftover from a family account - my father owns the card)
  • 1,150 - United Mileage Plus Miles (I've started building these through eRewards and other programs, but I DO NOT have a United card yet)
  • 45,152 - Ultimate Rewards Points (w/ Chase Sapphire Preferred, will have this card at least through next March)
  • 69,366 - Ultimate Rewards Points (Chase Ink Bold, meeting minimum spend on this by September I will have earned this amount plus a bit more, figure over 70,000)
  • 40,164 - US Airways Dividend Miles (Barclays card) <-- will merge and become AA before end of year
  • 0 - Hawaiin miles (I do not have their signature card, but I've been considering building these through eRewards in the coming months too - worth it?)

TOTAL MILES = 158044

Thanks for your advice in advance!
Old Aug 8, 2013, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Sounds like you'll have enough UR points to get a roundtrip between NYC and Hawaii with UA miles.

As for the year-long trip to Oceania and Asia, take a look at AA's distance-based "Explorer" award. (There's a thread about it in the FT AA forum.) It might be the best deal for such an extended trip.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Sounds like you'll have enough UR points to get a roundtrip between NYC and Hawaii with UA miles.

As for the year-long trip to Oceania and Asia, take a look at AA's distance-based "Explorer" award. (There's a thread about it in the FT AA forum.) It might be the best deal for such an extended trip.
Agreed with AA, you may want to start churning the various AA cards now though, since you have along way to go.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:39 am

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
you can get to hnl from ewr for as cheap as 40k united miles..so i think your good there...your in worser position for your hotel stays...if you think 800$ per flight from east coast to hnl is expensive then you best be starting to save up some hotel pts
Old Aug 9, 2013, 5:40 am

If I were you, I would use the UR points for the trip to Maui, and the Chase Bold UR points for the OW to NZ. From there if you're going to be travelling around Asia for awhile, check out airasia.com for extremely crazy cheap asia flights. Obviously they are economy and you pay extra for every little thing, but if you just want to get around it can't be beat for out of pocket. Happy travels! Court
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, CC Gold, SPG Gold, AA Exec Platinum
Need some assitance as I'm still new and just been reading through numerous threads.

Upcoming Trip: Planning to travel to Italy/Asia early to mid next year
Current Cards/App dates
1. Capital One (2006)
2. Discover CB (2010)
3. Amex Blue (2010)
4. Macy's Amex (2010)
5. Amex Platinum (3/2013)
6. Chase SP (3/2013)
7. Chase Freedom (7/2013)
8. Chase Business Ink Plus (7/2013 Pending incorpation of my business)
9. Amex Hilton HHnors (7/2013)
10. Citi HHonors Visa Signature (7/2013 Not approved due to many inquries)

My FAKO scores:
Credit Karma - 803
Credit Sesame - 720
Quizzle - 666
Experian - 700s

Is it too early to do an application for the below? Looking to freeze experian as i have 8-9 inquiries this yr with them and non on transunion.

AMEX
1) SPG Personal (30K SPG)
2) SPG business

BARCLAY
3) UsAir Personal (35K US)
4) USAir Biz (25K US)

& Possibly
USBANK
5) Club Carlson Biz (85K CC)
6) Club Carlson Personal (85K CC)

Any suggestions? Is it too soon from my July apps? I know amex pulls experian, barclay is transunion so i should be ok there. Not sure about US bank. I'm located in NYC btw.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by pushthelimit
Hi, new member here. Just wanted some expert advice since I am new to this game.

Background info: Got my first secured credit card at 18 in 2008. My creditkarma score is at 770-780, and didn't seem to be affected at all since my apporama(says I have only 2 hard credit pulls?) I'm single, male, 23 with a stable job and have no trouble at all hitting ANY spend requirement for any cards. Do not plan on making any major purchases anytime soon, (other than a used car with no financing)

My first ever app-o-rama was done over the span of about one month(July 2013), and consisted of:

CSP
Chase Marriott (instant)
Chase Priority Club (instant)
Citibank Gold (instant)
Citibank Plat (instant)
Barclays Arrival (denied: already sufficient credit)

Should I have applied for more? This being my first rodeo I had no idea how many I should have shot for.
Previous to this, the only applications I had were for both chase southwest cards in July 2012 and was instantly approved.

My current credit cards:
Chase Freedom
CS
CSP
Southwest plus personal
Southwest plus business
Amex Blue Student
Chase Marriott
Chase Priority Club
Citibank AA Gold
Citibank AA Plat
Barclays NFL
Nordstrom Bank CC

My questions are:
Should I be canceling any of my cards? Specifically, my Barclays and chase southwest cards? I assume this is the reason why I was denied the Barclays Arrival card. I decided not to call recon due to reading about other members getting denied for the same reason.
The next cards I want are the Chase Hyatt card, Amex SPG, Citibank Business AA, Barclays Arrival, and the remaining two chase southwest cards. How long should I wait until I apply for these cards?
I'm concerned about the Hyatt and southwest cards because I just had three instant approvals from chase and now hold 7!!! chase cards, with about 80k limit between them all.

My goals are mainly AA miles, SW rapid rewards points, and UR points. I do travel to Vegas 2-3x a year, and the main reasons for the hotel cards are to get free stays on the strip.

Thank you for all your help.
Try to do you AOR all in one day, two days at most unless certain requirements prohibit this. Do not cancel your cards just to get rid of them. Use them as leverage when opening a new card - offer to move credit, offer to cancel as semi-last resort or when annual fee is due. In this case, call Barclays recon and offer to cancel NFL card for the Arrival approval.

Why do you want more SW cards? Have you looked into the companion pass thing yet?

Check the Citi AA thread for current churnable offers.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Justtony
Need some assitance as I'm still new and just been reading through numerous threads.

Upcoming Trip: Planning to travel to Italy/Asia early to mid next year
Current Cards/App dates
1. Capital One (2006)
2. Discover CB (2010)
3. Amex Blue (2010)
4. Macy's Amex (2010)
5. Amex Platinum (3/2013)
6. Chase SP (3/2013)
7. Chase Freedom (7/2013)
8. Chase Business Ink Plus (7/2013 Pending incorpation of my business)
9. Amex Hilton HHnors (7/2013)
10. Citi HHonors Visa Signature (7/2013 Not approved due to many inquries)

My FAKO scores:
Credit Karma - 803
Credit Sesame - 720
Quizzle - 666
Experian - 700s

Is it too early to do an application for the below? Looking to freeze experian as i have 8-9 inquiries this yr with them and non on transunion.

AMEX
1) SPG Personal (30K SPG)
2) SPG business

BARCLAY
3) UsAir Personal (35K US)
4) USAir Biz (25K US)

& Possibly
USBANK
5) Club Carlson Biz (85K CC)
6) Club Carlson Personal (85K CC)

Any suggestions? Is it too soon from my July apps? I know amex pulls experian, barclay is transunion so i should be ok there. Not sure about US bank. I'm located in NYC btw.
IMO, yes it is too soon. 90 days is the general rule of thumb. Barclays looks at recent apps and inquisitions (yes, I used that word). US Bank is quite hardcore and looks back 6 months at apps and open accounts. You will likely not be approved.

If you can't hold off, go for the two Amex cards as I would consider that fairly easy to get in your case. Then hold off for a few months.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 7:39 pm

AoR with Credit Freeze?

Thinking of doing a small AoR with a recently applied credit freeze on my Experian report. I have about 8 recent hard pulls on my Experian (within 6 months), ZERO on EQ and one on TU (barclays). Apparently in my area (massachusetts), most lenders pull EX.

My question is, which banks if any are AoR friendly? Meaning, if I apply and they do try to pull Experian, which will kindly pull a different credit bureau upon request (if any)?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 8:08 pm

Programs: A few
you can also transfer your UR points to Korean Air, only 30k to HNL in economy or 60k in First on Hawaiian airlines
Old Aug 9, 2013, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
you can also transfer your UR points to Korean Air, only 30k to HNL in economy or 60k in First on Hawaiian airlines
I wouldn't bet on any availability on Hawaiian out of NYC. Potential to do the same thing on Alaska flights though.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 8:49 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
You won't have any luck Chase, Amex or Citi.
Atleast I didn't.
They'll keep at it, claiming that the system won't allow them to pull a different bureau and that you'll have to give them the PIN.

BoA (Virgin Atlantic card) will pull anything else you tell them to pull.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.