Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2013, 7:03 pm

Programs: United, UR, AA, USAirways, AirTran, JetBlue, SPG, Hilton
First AoR Complete!

Just completed my first ever AoR! Thank you all for everything!

1) Chase United Explorer Personal (55k) - had to call
2) Chase United Explorer Business (50k) - had to call
3) Citi AA Visa (50k) -instant
4) Amex SPG (30k) -instant
5) Barclays Us Airways MC (35k) -instant

Will apply for 2nd Citi AA in 8 days.

Was thinking of going for one more before the day is over - maybe I'm getting too greedy . Really want the CSP but don't want to risk it with Chase since I have an Ink Plus with them as well as a no-fee United.

Any sage advice?
Old Aug 22, 2013, 7:23 pm

You won't get three chase cards in one day. I would hold off on the CSP.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by sound48
I had a couple questions about order as well. Applying for:

Barclays Arrival
SPG Business
United Business
Alaska Airlines
Citi 50K Visa (second will be a week later)

I'm planning on applying on Barclays first, suggestions on order otherwise?
I've seen the 25, 30, and 40k Alaskan offers. How churnable are they? Trying to decide which one to go for and only have 1 BOA card (Hawaiian Airlines) and not much history with them.

Thanks
Barclay's first then Chase United Business since these are the top 2 most sensitive to inquiries IMO. The remaining lenders are much more lenient so the order of those three doesn't matter much but do SPG, AS and Citi last. Not sure on the churnability of AS I assume they are very churnable from what I gather maybe someone else can confirm.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I had a couple questions about order as well. Applying for:

Barclays Arrival
SPG Business
United Business
Alaska Airlines
Citi 50K Visa (second will be a week later)

I'm planning on applying on Barclays first, suggestions on order otherwise?
I've seen the 25, 30, and 40k Alaskan offers. How churnable are they? Trying to decide which one to go for and only have 1 BOA card (Hawaiian Airlines) and not much history with them.

Thanks
I don't think there is really an order, except for the US Bank card, they don't like us Churners.. In regards to "history" as long as you have no recent late payments, and a credit score greater than 700 you wont have a problem.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 9:31 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ladoo420
Just completed my first ever AoR! Thank you all for everything!

1) Chase United Explorer Personal (55k) - had to call
2) Chase United Explorer Business (50k) - had to call
3) Citi AA Visa (50k) -instant
4) Amex SPG (30k) -instant
5) Barclays Us Airways MC (35k) -instant

Will apply for 2nd Citi AA in 8 days.

Was thinking of going for one more before the day is over - maybe I'm getting too greedy . Really want the CSP but don't want to risk it with Chase since I have an Ink Plus with them as well as a no-fee United.

Any sage advice?

Planning a churn very similar to yours, except I already have the US Airways. Gonna wait a few months for another one.

Any reason you did the United biz and personal in the same day? I already have a Freedom, CSP, and Ink Bold so I'm not sure if I want to do both of those cards. Was deciding between the personal and biz, although I'm leaning towards the personal with a bonus of 5,000 for the authorized user.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 9:54 am

Programs: United, UR, AA, USAirways, AirTran, JetBlue, SPG, Hilton
Thanks sound48 - decided to add the CSP to my next AoR in 3-4 months. I did apply for the Amex HHonors since I had already applied to the SPG, thought I'd see if it'd be just one inquiry - that's pending as expected.

Originally Posted by whatmakes
Planning a churn very similar to yours, except I already have the US Airways. Gonna wait a few months for another one.

Any reason you did the United biz and personal in the same day? I already have a Freedom, CSP, and Ink Bold so I'm not sure if I want to do both of those cards. Was deciding between the personal and biz, although I'm leaning towards the personal with a bonus of 5,000 for the authorized user.
I was initially going to go for the CSP but since I was going to convert them to United miles anyway thought I'd go for the bigger bonus upfront ... plus I knew I had a good history and a lot of legitimate spend w/ Chase since 2007 (way before I knew what an AoR was!). It was definitely a gamble imo but paid off. I think you'll be able to find the 55k (personal) and 50k (biz) bonuses throughout the year so to be safe, since you have a few Chase cards already, I'd grab the personal first. I believe it also has better purchase protection. ^
Old Aug 23, 2013, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Well I got three chase cards in my last AOR, CSP, United and IHG... I think three is max.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA EXP, US Platinum, VA Gold, Starwood Platinum 75, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Can someone help me w AOR advice? Looking to get the following:

AA Citi Platinum Select Visa 50k
Some Business AA Visa/MC (recommendations welcomed) 50k
Club Carlson Visa
Best DL Offer w MQMs (recommendations welcomed)
Old Aug 23, 2013, 1:19 pm

If you apply for the Club Carlson card, do it first. From everything I've read, they're the hardest to get approval for. The Delta cards require 60k and 50k in spend to get the full amount of MQMs. Are you comfortable spending that much in a year?
Old Aug 23, 2013, 1:21 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA EXP, US Platinum, VA Gold, Starwood Platinum 75, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Somewhat comfortable, but not for this calendar year given only 4 months.

Are there any good Skymiles offers for threshold spend to get MQMs? Most I'm seeing is 5k Plat, 10k Reserve, both w mediocre RDMs too.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA, TY
I'm slightly torn so I'm hoping for some guidance.

A little background...
CSP: 3/2013
Amex Blue: 7/2012
United Mileage Plus: 5/12

Currently have the following cards in my wallet
Chase UA Explorer, CSP and UA MP (no AF)
Citi Foward
Amex Blue

I'm looking for some hotel cards so I was eyeing Club Carlson and SPG. Would like to churn Citi AA as well along with obtaining the Chase Ink.

I understand that CC is the hardest to get but I'm really hesitant to send my info to them even via certified mail. Is it worth the trouble to block it or should I just give the application a shot?

FICO: 740-750s
AAoA: 6 plus years
No late payments.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD
I've been trying to reduce my EX credit pulls (5 within the past year, 5 more that won't fall off til next summer); as a result, I tried applying for the Citi Hilton Reserve with an EX credit freeze; any way to recon my way into having them pull EQ or TU? Probably impossible, but figured I'd ask anyways.

On a related note, I also tried an Amex 2BM and failed due to the "fraud block" if you send 2 apps in 1 day. I froze my EX after I found out the 2nd app got blocked, since I don't want an additional credit pull (aware that Amex won't pull a different bureau). My question is, can they use the same info on the first pull to approve the 2nd application?
Old Aug 23, 2013, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by psychoandy
I've been trying to reduce my EX credit pulls (5 within the past year, 5 more that won't fall off til next summer); as a result, I tried applying for the Citi Hilton Reserve with an EX credit freeze; any way to recon my way into having them pull EQ or TU? Probably impossible, but figured I'd ask anyways.

On a related note, I also tried an Amex 2BM and failed due to the "fraud block" if you send 2 apps in 1 day. I froze my EX after I found out the 2nd app got blocked, since I don't want an additional credit pull (aware that Amex won't pull a different bureau). My question is, can they use the same info on the first pull to approve the 2nd application?
Citi and Amex, as a general rule, won't pull anything other than the original choice.

Amex MAY approve you without a second pull, but don't count on it. What will most likely happen is an auto-decline and request for a PIN. If you don't want to take another pull, just ignore the request.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 9:46 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by gloreglabert
Citi and Amex, as a general rule, won't pull anything other than the original choice.

Amex MAY approve you without a second pull, but don't count on it. What will most likely happen is an auto-decline and request for a PIN. If you don't want to take another pull, just ignore the request.
[emphasis mine]

Just wondering what you mean there? Do you mean that after providing the PIN, and letting the pull go through, Amex has pulled the report ONCE AGAIN, for a total of two times, on some people?
Old Aug 23, 2013, 9:52 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by cristenen
I'm slightly torn so I'm hoping for some guidance.

A little background...
CSP: 3/2013
Amex Blue: 7/2012
United Mileage Plus: 5/12

Currently have the following cards in my wallet
Chase UA Explorer, CSP and UA MP (no AF)
Citi Foward
Amex Blue

I'm looking for some hotel cards so I was eyeing Club Carlson and SPG. Would like to churn Citi AA as well along with obtaining the Chase Ink.

I understand that CC is the hardest to get but I'm really hesitant to send my info to them even via certified mail. Is it worth the trouble to block it or should I just give the application a shot?

FICO: 740-750s
AAoA: 6 plus years
No late payments.
My two cents.

I was approved for the Club Carlson card before I even knew what ARS and IDA was. But having said that, I would highly advise you to freeze them. Why take the chance?

As to the security, a LOT of us (including me,after the fact) have done it and we've had our reports blocked no problem at all.

And if (based on what you wrote) the CSP card is the last Chase card that you got, then you have a good chance of getting the Ink. You can easily block ARS and IDA and then do a mini-AOR with Citi AA, Club Carlson, SPG and Chase Ink.
If you're feeling bold,(and assuming that the AMEX Blue is the only other AMEX card you have) you could even throw in a SPG business app in there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.