Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2013, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by 12939
This kind of thing needs to stop.

Your credit report is none of your employers business, with the odd exception for those working in the financial industry. For everyone else, it is a private matter.

So what if someone has a poor credit history? It does not mean they cannot do their job. Policies like this endanger the job prospects of millions.
I don't know that poor credit will automatically disqualify a prospective employee for non-financial jobs. Rather, the credit report provides just one more datapoint on the applicant.

It isn't just employers using credit reports as part of hiring criteria, insurance companies also use them when calculating premiums (at least in the USA).
Old Dec 24, 2013, 12:25 am

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA
Originally Posted by 12939
This kind of thing needs to stop.

Your credit report is none of your employers business, with the odd exception for those working in the financial industry. For everyone else, it is a private matter.

So what if someone has a poor credit history? It does not mean they cannot do their job. Policies like this endanger the job prospects of millions.
The type of job that I do requires solid financial history. I am part of a team in charge of large database systems and poor judgement is a factor that is considered. That plus criminal background checks. You don't want someone but with a clean record to handle confidential data. Companies have to protect themselves.

Some senior execs jobs require interviews of friends and neighbors as part of the vetting process.

Pros and cons about this issue. This is why we need to educate young kids to avoid criminal records or make bad financial decisions

Gossip: lots of execs played the real estate marked and were burned by bad property investments. And lots of bankruptcies out there
Old Dec 24, 2013, 3:54 am

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I've had full credit checks before regarding employment, however as others have said it really should only be a concern in areas of the financial industry. The reasoning typically is they don't want to see you owe some outrageous sum in debt that will make it more tempting to embezzle funds. Some government jobs are also the case for security reasons. Overall inquiries don't matter; they want to see a total sum owed, to whom, and types of debt.

If you're not directly having any kind of financial responsibility in the job I would have a serious discussion with the recruiter as to what/how each part of the credit report will be used prior to blindly signing the authorization form.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by TheChallenge
I've had full credit checks before regarding employment, however as others have said it really should only be a concern in areas of the financial industry. The reasoning typically is they don't want to see you owe some outrageous sum in debt that will make it more tempting to embezzle funds. Some government jobs are also the case for security reasons. Overall inquiries don't matter; they want to see a total sum owed, to whom, and types of debt.

If you're not directly having any kind of financial responsibility in the job I would have a serious discussion with the recruiter as to what/how each part of the credit report will be used prior to blindly signing the authorization form.
If you owe "some outrageous amount of money" then you might be more likely to steal whatever product your employer has, whether it's a bank, a garage, a computer manufacturer, or whatever. Right?
Old Dec 24, 2013, 11:00 am

Update on my 1st AOR after my original where I applied for 12 cards:

BOA Virgin - Instant
US Bank Club Carlson Business - approved after reconsideration and freezing ARS & IDA
Citi Hilton Visa - Instant
Chase Hyatt - Instant
Amex Starwoods Business - Instant
Barclays US Air - Instant
Old Dec 24, 2013, 4:01 pm

AOR 2 advice....

Appreciate the expert advice...

So my wifes annual fees are due in Jan and would like to run another AOR on same time I cancel her accounts. Following is what she has and want to cancel.

1. Chase United explorer (need to cancel)
2. Citi AA Visa (need to cancel)
3. Citi AA Amex (need to cancel)
4. Chase Ink Bus (not planning to cancel)
5. Chase Freedom (she shares a card with me)

Could someone please advice which cards should I look into? get further rewards....I am mainly interested in Airline miles....

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 8:52 pm

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
If you owe "some outrageous amount of money" then you might be more likely to steal whatever product your employer has, whether it's a bank, a garage, a computer manufacturer, or whatever. Right?
True. However, it's much easier and more damaging to walk away with a duffle bag full of cash or send a wire transfer of company funds to a personal overseas account if you have signature authority versus loading up your SUV with computer hardware. I don't know about what you drive, but it'd take quite a few car loads of MacBooks to equal one duffel bag of 100's.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by woow14610
Appreciate the expert advice...

So my wifes annual fees are due in Jan and would like to run another AOR on same time I cancel her accounts. Following is what she has and want to cancel.

1. Chase United explorer (need to cancel)
2. Citi AA Visa (need to cancel)
3. Citi AA Amex (need to cancel)
4. Chase Ink Bus (not planning to cancel)
5. Chase Freedom (she shares a card with me)

Could someone please advice which cards should I look into? get further rewards....I am mainly interested in Airline miles....

Thanks in advance.
Citi AA Biz -50K
Barclaycard US Airways - 35K
Chase Airtran - 32 credits - 2 RTs
Barclaycard Frontier - 40K
Barclaycard Arrival (hey $400 is $400)
Chase Sapphire Preferred 40K (transfer)
Chase Ink Bold 50K (transfer)
BoA Virgin Atlantic 50K
Old Dec 24, 2013, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by mnscout
Citi AA Biz -50K
Chase Airtran - 32 credits - 2 RTs
Barclaycard Frontier - 40K
BoA Virgin Atlantic 50K
Thank you so much. Could you please clarify what is Transfer means? Also since my wife already have AA personal cards and planning to cancel in this round will that effect her approval for the business cards?

Thanks,
Old Dec 25, 2013, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mnscout
Citi AA Biz -50K
Chase Airtran - 32 credits - 2 RTsBarclaycard Frontier - 40K
BoA Virgin Atlantic 50K
I thought chase stopped the Airtran card, it's not on thier site, this would be have been a sweet card to get, it was one of my next cards..
Old Dec 25, 2013, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by TheChallenge
True. However, it's much easier and more damaging to walk away with a duffle bag full of cash or send a wire transfer of company funds to a personal overseas account if you have signature authority versus loading up your SUV with computer hardware. I don't know about what you drive, but it'd take quite a few car loads of MacBooks to equal one duffel bag of 100's.
Keep in mind, you can steal from a company without actually removing something from a shelf. Proprietary information, source code, clients lists, etc., can all be very valuable, and the temptation to sell those might be higher if the applicant is in financial trouble.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 7:24 am

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
http://money.cnn.com/2013/12/17/pf/e...cks/index.html

Sum: Sen. Warren (MA) with others sponsoring a bill to keep credit information out of job hiring decisions.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 7:49 am

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/airtran/32quicklinks
Looks like it might still exist

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I thought chase stopped the Airtran card, it's not on thier site, this would be have been a sweet card to get, it was one of my next cards..
Old Dec 25, 2013, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Keep in mind, you can steal from a company without actually removing something from a shelf. Proprietary information, source code, clients lists, etc., can all be very valuable, and the temptation to sell those might be higher if the applicant is in financial trouble.
Yes, I am very aware that any asset of value could potentially be walked off with physical or not. However, since cash is typically the asset that's the most liquid, portable, desirable, and non traceable, it's always going to warrant additional scrutiny.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
There is no way to use these AirTran credits with the southwest companion pass is there? I did a search and it looks like the answer is no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.