Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2013, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by farwest101
Unless you're playing the game wrong, every churner SHOULD BE "high risk" based on the number of inquiries you get.

Go read up on what items are important to your credit score. Inquiries aren't that big of a deal (unless you are USBank or Barclays)
IF people would stop trying to get every CC within a year then they wouldn't have to worry about being "high risk" this game is a marathon...
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
IF people would stop trying to get every CC within a year then they wouldn't have to worry about being "high risk" this game is a marathon...
Meh. Go look at how few inquiries gets you into the "high risk" category. Even marathon types would be deemed high risk.

And why is this a marathon? I can assure you there are many sprinters around here - world class sprinters...and they've been in the game a long time.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP
Back in the day of rapid churning for Citi AA bonuses I would get at least four inquiries a month without a problem.

Last edited by LoneTree; Dec 31, 2013 at 11:34 am
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Desher
Amex Blue Everyday 4/16/2008
Chase SP 7/6/2013
Chase Ink 7/6/2013
Amex Business Gold 7/19/2013
Amex SPG 8/13/2013
Amex Business SPG 8/29/2013
Chase Ink Bold 9/17/2013
Do you have an excellent credit score or an legitimate business? Is it not difficult to get multiple business cards from AMEX like that within a month? Especially without ever having to call a recon line...
Old Dec 31, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I am looking at the next application(s) to make for myself & my husband.

I would like to either get some more miles usable on Delta flights- but am limited by the fact that DH & I both currently have Delta AMEX cards- or a general "travel cash back" card. AA & DL are the only airlines that fly out of our small town market, and we have plenty of AA miles right now.

So far, I've looked at the possibilities of:
-Alaska Airlines cards (a decent 40K bonus, but fee is not waived for the first yera)
-Barclay Arrival Card (bonus good for $400 worth of travel with $1K spend)
-Chase Sapphire Preferred/Ink/Bold (one of them)- I would be using this as cash back rather than miles transfer- came across a bonus of 50,000 points/$625 to spend on travel for a $3k spend

There's three of us right now, so if I'm accruing an "alternate" currency to use for Delta flights, I would hope to get at least three saver flights out of it (i.e. if I went the Alaska route I would apply for both the personal & business card).

Are there other cards I should look at?
Old Dec 31, 2013, 7:43 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by ArmyFlyer05
Brand new here, but I have been reading a ton the last week.

Did an AOR this week, previously we were using our USAA MC for all spending and 2 Chase SW cards for our personal spending. New cards:

Amex Everyday Preferred
Amex Delta Gold: 100k Seattle offer
Amex Plat: 50k reward points
Chase Freedom: 20k
Chase Marriott Premier - 70k
Chase United Club Card - Fee waived
I also added a free military Chase Checking account

Wife got the Chase SP w/45k

I want to dump one of my Chase Southwest cards which will free up 16,800 in CL with Chase.

Any thoughts on what I should target for the next AOR? I am thinking AMEX SPG, the Chase SP for myself, and dumping the Marriott for Ritz card. Our current spending plan is to put our everyday purchases on the Freedom card, travel and dining on the Chase SP, and I am using the United Card for my personal spending.

I need to caveat that I don't pay fees at AMEX with the SCRA for military. Thanks for any help.
Hi ArmyFlyer... welcome to FT and thanks for serving! My suggestions are to make sure that your new cards are focused in a direction. When I help people get started, my first question is "where do you want to go?" . Then we tailor the AOR to focus on a family of points or an alliance.

Going back and forth to Oklahoma requires a very different plan than going to Rio. Many of us have limited time to travel and, if you have "orphaned points" it can be hard to use them up prudently.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by farwest101
Meh. Go look at how few inquiries gets you into the "high risk" category. Even marathon types would be deemed high risk.

And why is this a marathon? I can assure you there are many sprinters around here - world class sprinters...and they've been in the game a long time.
Times have changed and CC companies are changing how they veiw app's, look at US Bank, perfect example... Citi keeps changing the way they play the game.

I noticed that some of the world class sprinters have had issues lately when going after CC, becasue of the high inquire's. I just don't get why people have to go after 5 to 7 card each time? My last one was July, and I have gotten enough miles/points for our trips this year 2014.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LoneTree
Back in the day of rapid churning for Citi AA bonuses I would get at least four inquiries a month without a problem.
This past summer, Citi opened the flood gate and I was one of them that took full advantage of them (between myself and husband 400K,) that is a competely different story. My next full AOR is late Feb, any only three cards are on that one.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 8:51 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Times have changed and CC companies are changing how they veiw app's, look at US Bank, perfect example... Citi keeps changing the way they play the game.

I noticed that some of the world class sprinters have had issues lately when going after CC, becasue of the high inquire's. I just don't get why people have to go after 5 to 7 card each time? My last one was July, and I have gotten enough miles/points for our trips this year 2014.
I'm with ya, Flight Nurse... I just finished an AOR of a whopping 2 cards! Ha ha.. I added the Starwood program to my roster, but essentially, I'm in good shape. 4 trips on the books (2 domestic, 2 international) in the next 6 months. I can't fit any more travel into my schedule. I don't want a bunch of stray points here and there.

But, here it is already Jan 1 (Happy New Year to all) and I've got some bonuses to hit: AA for the 100 bucks, UA for the 10K extra, PRG for the 15K extra, BA for the Companion pass, which has more value now that the other programs have devalued.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Hi ArmyFlyer... welcome to FT and thanks for serving! My suggestions are to make sure that your new cards are focused in a direction. When I help people get started, my first question is "where do you want to go?" . Then we tailor the AOR to focus on a family of points or an alliance.

Going back and forth to Oklahoma requires a very different plan than going to Rio. Many of us have limited time to travel and, if you have "orphaned points" it can be hard to use them up prudently.
Thanks! My wife and I do a fair bit of travel on our own, at least once a month with one to two international trips a year. I get pretty good hotel rates with my military discount so our goal is to utilize points for air travel. We are putting the majority of our spending on the CSP and freedom cards, groceries on the AMEX preferred. The remaining cards I got mainly for their additional benefits. We are going to Bali in May and looking at the Maldives or Bora Bora in the fall.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:51 pm

Mixed results:

US Air - instant approval.
Cap1 venture 50k - pending.
Wells Fargo 5% cashback - pending.
United 50k - instant approval.

Does calling Cap1 and WF work? Before or after receiving the official letters?

I was most worried about the US Air and not expecting problems with the others.

Last edited by itchyfeet123; Jan 3, 2014 at 10:57 pm
Old Jan 6, 2014, 3:11 pm

I posted a couple of days ago that I did four apps in the weekend. Instant approval for United Explorer and US Air, pending for Cap1 Venture and and Wells Fargo 5%. I have credit monitoring set up and got an instant alert that Barclay's had pulled my score, and an email this morning that Chase had pulled at the time of the app. But no sign that Cap 1 or WF have pulled.

Any clues as to what that means? My thoughts are either 1) the reason my application was pending was because Cap1 and WF couldn't do a pull somehow, or 2) the pulls are hidden until a decision is made, which seems unlikely.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 3:17 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by itchyfeet123
My thoughts are either 1) the reason my application was pending was because Cap1 and WF couldn't do a pull somehow, or 2) the pulls are hidden until a decision is made, which seems unlikely.
I'm going to vote for 3) there's a backlog in their system and the pull won't happen until they're actually ready to evaluate your app.

Keep us updated.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by itchyfeet123
I posted a couple of days ago that I did four apps in the weekend. Instant approval for United Explorer and US Air, pending for Cap1 Venture and and Wells Fargo 5%. I have credit monitoring set up and got an instant alert that Barclay's had pulled my score, and an email this morning that Chase had pulled at the time of the app. But no sign that Cap 1 or WF have pulled.

Any clues as to what that means? My thoughts are either 1) the reason my application was pending was because Cap1 and WF couldn't do a pull somehow, or 2) the pulls are hidden until a decision is made, which seems unlikely.
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
I'm going to vote for 3) there's a backlog in their system and the pull won't happen until they're actually ready to evaluate your app.

Keep us updated.
Update:
Called Capital One. They asked for income verification, which I've now sent.

Called Wells Fargo. Denied for not being a permanent US resident. (At the rate my dissertation is going, I'll probably be here permanently, sigh).

Any recommendations for another 5% uncapped cashback card?
Old Feb 9, 2014, 8:29 pm

Hi guys, wana bring this thread back from a few months back...we are a GO for hawaii and now need hotels...7 nights total ! can't wait.

so need some solid help on hotel now and i would appreciate everyone as usual to get us there hopefully with as less $ as we can.
a little background, mainly i would be churning and wife won't as much ( little history) so maybe can shoot for a lower hotel card that can help the situation.

I was thinking of getting hyatt with chase for two nights ( will have to fight them since i have 5 cards with them too but i can drop my marriot which can be fine)

Hilton? how many can i get and churn between now and July? i know amex has two hilton cards and citi has some too...what timeline should i shoot for on which cards ? i think if my memory servers the hilton we likes in waeila was 90k hilton honor points per night.

I do have 17+ SPG points, so i can use them for a one nigher at the sheraton seems nice. I would like to save those if possible two get it to 20k so i can transfer to an airline but i do have those on hand.

previously someone mention VA card for both of us? but i think that offer is dead or low ( too slow to react, back a few months i was concentrated on my Thailand trip in Dec ! ).

is it possible with hyatt and HH to cover 7 nights? again my wife won't churn due to lack of history. Also i prefere not to hit chase for other cards other than Hyatt cause i am pretty maxed out ( i got ink, marriot, ihg, freedom and sapphire pref). I do have 22k UR points too...so that might be another Hyatt night.

also a point, we don't mind paying some cash, pref less than 1k. if we do have to book like 3 nights and get the 4th free kinda of thing and i have to pay for one night that is acceptable for us. BUT again we rather get stuff FREE right FTers?

oh , i was thinking of another SPG card? maybe from my wifes ssn? that would be another 30k? and maybe a business one for me? that would give us total of close to 80k spg points. We have GOLD hilton and SPG.

any suggestions , ideas , i am all ears.

thanks !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.