Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2013, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by llbad
Possibly get the barclay arrival card? ...
Just an idea
Thanks for the feedback. I thought about the Arrival but don't think the sign-up bonus is worth it. What I really should have done was apply for the 50k Luthansa offer, but that expired just a few days ago. Oh well.

I'm thinking of just sticking with these 3 approvals since Barclays doesn't like it when people open a lot of new accounts.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by bribro
Thanks for the feedback. I thought about the Arrival but don't think the sign-up bonus is worth it. What I really should have done was apply for the 50k Luthansa offer, but that expired just a few days ago. Oh well.

I'm thinking of just sticking with these 3 approvals since Barclays doesn't like it when people open a lot of new accounts.
I'm envious of your salary and the ability to churn 5k spend cards without MS
Old Dec 19, 2013, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime PE, Hilton Dia, WN CP, Hyatt Plat
Well, damn. You snooze you lose.
50k deal with AS is active again. just applied 90 minutes ago and was approved
Old Dec 19, 2013, 6:53 pm

I am planning an AOR for later today or tomorrow, since I want to take advantage of the 50k AS offer before it goes away.

Current Cards (store cards not included):

• J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k unreported CL - 4/2012)
  • Chase Freedom MC ($25k CL - 4/2012 - PCed from CSP Visa)
  • Chase Freedom Visa ($25k CL - 5/2012)
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa ($25k CL - 6/2013 - PCed to CSP MC for EMV)
  • Chase Ink Bold (11/2012)
  • Chase Ink Plus ($25k CL - 7/2013)
  • Chase MPE ($25k CL - 2/2013)
  • AmEx Blue Sky ($25k CL – 7/2012)
  • AmEx SPG Personal ($25k CL - 8/2013)
  • AmEx SPG Business ($25k CL - 8/2013)
  • Citi Dividend MC ($50k CL - 1/2005)

FICO should be right around 780. No late payments or derogs. Hard Inquiries (trailing 12 months): EX: 5, EQ: 4, TU: 2. Last inquiry was from 8/23/2013 from AmEx for the 30k SPG offers.

Tentative Plan (in order):
  1. BofA : Alaska Airlines 50k (EX)
  2. Barclays: US Airways Premier World 35k (TU)
  3. Citi: AA Plat Personal 50k or Business 50k (EX)

Annual income is ~$500k. Any feedback on the order of applications? Or any other cards that I should consider, particularly from lenders that might only pull EQ or TU? My business is a sole proprietorship (consulting side-business with little documentation behind it). If I apply for the Citi AA Business card will they seek verification of the business or give me a hard time?

I am pretty OCD (as you can probably tell from my fairly uniform credit limits) and am only interested in sign-up bonuses that yield >$500 in value. Not looking to clutter things up just for a $100 bonus from Discover or anything like that.

Thanks for any feedback!
I would add the Chase British Airways @ 100,000 miles after $22,000 spend. Breaks down like this: 50,000 miles after $2000 spend. 25,000 miles after another $10,000 spend. Another 25,000 miles if you spend another $10,000 within the first year. With your natural spend, that won't be an issue. Their Avios program is great for short haul domestic USA flights although some have an issue with their fuel charges.

Last edited by pinguy; Dec 19, 2013 at 7:06 pm
Old Dec 19, 2013, 7:02 pm

I am planning an AOR for later today or tomorrow, since I want to take advantage of the 50k AS offer before it goes away.

Current Cards (store cards not included):

• J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k unreported CL - 4/2012)
  • Chase Freedom MC ($25k CL - 4/2012 - PCed from CSP Visa)
  • Chase Freedom Visa ($25k CL - 5/2012)
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa ($25k CL - 6/2013 - PCed to CSP MC for EMV)
  • Chase Ink Bold (11/2012)
  • Chase Ink Plus ($25k CL - 7/2013)
  • Chase MPE ($25k CL - 2/2013)
  • AmEx Blue Sky ($25k CL – 7/2012)
  • AmEx SPG Personal ($25k CL - 8/2013)
  • AmEx SPG Business ($25k CL - 8/2013)
  • Citi Dividend MC ($50k CL - 1/2005)

FICO should be right around 780. No late payments or derogs. Hard Inquiries (trailing 12 months): EX: 5, EQ: 4, TU: 2. Last inquiry was from 8/23/2013 from AmEx for the 30k SPG offers.

Tentative Plan (in order):
  1. BofA : Alaska Airlines 50k (EX)
  2. Barclays: US Airways Premier World 35k (TU)
  3. Citi: AA Plat Personal 50k or Business 50k (EX)

Annual income is ~$500k. Any feedback on the order of applications? Or any other cards that I should consider, particularly from lenders that might only pull EQ or TU? My business is a sole proprietorship (consulting side-business with little documentation behind it). If I apply for the Citi AA Business card will they seek verification of the business or give me a hard time?

I am pretty OCD (as you can probably tell from my fairly uniform credit limits) and am only interested in sign-up bonuses that yield >$500 in value. Not looking to clutter things up just for a $100 bonus from Discover or anything like that.

Thanks for any feedback!
My wife is in a similar situation as you. Her income is mid six figures but it's from a closed S Corp where she is not actually an employee. She owns it and just writes checks to herself. She also owns stock in the seven figure range. However, this meant nothing to the Citi folks since she didn't have a pay check! We went round and round with three recon folks and a supervisor before they finally approved her for a card. They kept saying to me (I was calling on her behalf), "but she has no regular paycheck." I offered to fax in tax returns and bank and investment statements but they didn't want them.

Ah, hello? Clue phone. It's for you Citi.

Last edited by pinguy; Dec 19, 2013 at 7:07 pm
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pinguy
My wife is in a similar situation as you. Her income is mid six figures but it's from a closed S Corp where she is not actually an employee. She owns it and just writes checks to herself. She also owns stock in the seven figure range. However, this meant nothing to the Citi folks since she didn't have a pay check! We went round and round with three recon folks and a supervisor before they finally approved her for a card. They kept saying to me (I was calling on her behalf), "but she has no regular paycheck." I offered to fax in tax returns and bank and investment statements but they didn't want them.

Ah, hello? Clue phone. It's for you Citi.
The problem is, that her income is all on paper, nothing is liquid, my grand mother had the same issue.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 8:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
The problem is, that her income is all on paper, nothing is liquid, my grand mother had the same issue.
Not to mention the potential legal issues of just writing a check to yourself from a company without a paper record. Setting herself up as a Board Member or something to get a paycheck might help in these situations.

Oh jeez, I used the word "legal," on FT, here it comes!
Old Dec 20, 2013, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by PainCorp

Oh jeez, I used the word "legal," on FT, here it comes!
OK, now go sit in the corner and chant the mantra, "I will not speak of legal on FT"
Old Dec 20, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: United, UR, AA, USAirways, AirTran, JetBlue, SPG, Hilton

So I have four total chase cards: three from this past June (Ink Plus Biz) and August (UA Explorer and UA Explorer Biz) and one from 2005 (UA Mileageplus).

I really want to go after the SW companion pass (Biz and Personal) AND the British Airways 100k offer before they expire. That would be 3 Chase cards at once as part of a larger AoR that includes BoA AS, Citi Biz, and an Amex. My last (first) AoR was end of August so approx 4 months ago. Should I attempt going for all three or just stick with the two SW cards?

CL with Chase is $65k+ across 4 cards
CreditKarma: 731
CreditSesame: 719 (was 780+ in November but due to MS utilization skyrocketed - needless to say I've paid off all balances for the past statement)

Thanks for all your help! )
Old Dec 20, 2013, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by pinguy
50k deal with AS is active again. just applied 90 minutes ago and was approved
Anyone have a link to the FT thread for this card?
Old Dec 20, 2013, 11:29 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by wholeinone04
Anyone have a link to the FT thread for this card?
Just realized it's dead.. I think if you check some CC blogs, there are links floating around.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ladoo420
Should I attempt going for all three or just stick with the two SW cards?

Thanks for all your help! )
Sigh..... This is a marathon not a sprint. The Chase BA 100K card comes around once a year. So not to worry if you don't get it this time. The SW cards come and go all year long with the 50K offer, as well as the AS card. I was part of the, "OMG, I must get these cards NOW, before they go away" now I know I'll just wait it out. My last AOR was in July, I wont be doing it again until Feb. When I go it, I'll only get three cards.. The Marriot Card, The Fairmount Card, and the Club Carlson Card. This will give me enough nights in muti hotels for our trip to Europe.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 9:21 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Sigh..... This is a marathon not a sprint.
Amen.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:01 am
wcj

Church and legal....What's next....obamacare, lol?
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: AS MVP
Sigh..... This is a marathon not a sprint.
+1. And then once you get that, you will be in a position to sprint when needed. Deals like this past summer when Citi opened the door for rapid-fire churning and 75-100K AMEX deals are worth throwing away the plan and jumping on, but that will only be possible if you haven't been going full speed up to that point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.