FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive
Old Aug 15, 2013, 5:43 pm
jmdeng

Originally Posted by pinguy
1. I believe I should close the Wells cc since they don't do affiliates. But I'm not sure how that will affect my credit since the account is almost 20 years old. Should I close?
Assuming no annual fee, this card is mainly helping you by increasing your average credit age. If you close it, you won't lose this weight right away, but in 7-10 years, you'll see a dip in your age when the account falls off your report. Only reason I can think to close is if the sum of your credit lines far exceed your income.

2. Is the SteinMart store card affecting my ability to get new cc's? Not sure if I should close it.
3. I believe I should keep the Chase Slate open, even though it gets no perks, so I can use it to move CL around. Agree?
In general, if your card has no annual fees, then you should keep it open.

4. For my first AoR, I'm thinking about Chase Saphire AND Chase UA 50k but concerned this will bring me up to five cards with Chase (one is biz). Do you think that's a problem? I've read some have issues going beyond four cards while others have no problem.
It's always YMMV. I have 7 Chase cards (3 are biz). The bigger hurdle in your history might be your recent Chase apps (from August). But more likely than not, the worst you will get is a PENDING approval in which case you should call reconsideration and ask them if you can help expedite the process, and then give reasonable reasons for wanting these two cards. If they're still hesitant, you offer up your other Chase credit lines for transfer and worst case, offer to close a Chase card that you don't need anymore. I'll be more than 9 times out of 10 a person with your history will get these two cards (btw, I assume you are talking about the Chase Sapphire PREFERRED card)

5. Including the two Chase cards above, I'll apply for SPG, Biz Amex, BH and Citi AA. All will allow me to build my UA and HHonors accounts except the Citi AA. The Citi AA is just too good to pass up! Am I missing anything?
Which Biz Amex? And for some reason the BH card escapes me. Other cards to consider include any of the Amex Platinum cards that can get you at least 50K Membership rewards points (I believe the Mercedes Benz flavor is the only one available at this time?). Big annual fee, but the perks can easily outshine them ($200 airline credit, Priority Pass, Global Entry, just to name the big ones) and if you keep it less than a year, you'll get part of your fee back. Chase Ink (Bold or Plus) and the United Biz are others that can net you over 50K United miles after the spending is complete. But of course, there's no need to get these all at once. That's what next quarter is for. =)

Good luck.