Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:30 pm

Managed to get 12/16 cards between my wife and I (Amex hates me and Citi sucks!). Halfway through the promotion spend already. Will end up with 160k UR points, $1200 in cash, ~150k CC points, 60k US Air and some other goodies by the time I'm done.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by philemer
Are you saying BofH is owned by BofA of that FIA is owned by BofA?
Okay just to clarify. I'm saying that FIA is owned by BofA, not that they own BofH. So if someone didn't like BofA or had concerns with them, they probably wouldn't want to conduct business with FIA..since they are one in the same.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 10:10 pm

Wow, how do you do so much spending? Enjoy your trip with these points!!
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
The general rule for Chase is only 2 cards per AoR, so might want to branch out. Look at the SPG from Amex, for every 20k you transfer, you get 5k, so a 20% bonus isn't bad. Check our their transfer partners before you apply though.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by texasguy77
Okay just to clarify. I'm saying that FIA is owned by BofA, not that they own BofH. So if someone didn't like BofA or had concerns with them, they probably wouldn't want to conduct business with FIA..since they are one in the same.
But the profits that BOH makes from their CC don't go to BOA. That's my only concern. It's stupid, but yeah, that's what I do.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 2:48 pm

App Spree Help

I Have Chase Explorer and recently received:

Amex Starwood
Amex Gold
BA Chase
AA Citi
USAir Barclays

Given those inquiries, should i take a break or is there a card I should consider adding to the list at this time? Going for signing up bonuses of course and I (with a lot of my wife's help) can meet most spend requirements.

Thanks!
Old Mar 21, 2013, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Define recently, opening dates for all of them would be helpful.

BTW, should be in the Credit Card forum.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:01 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Originally Posted by PainCorp
BTW, should be in the Credit Card forum.
...and now it is.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
...and now it is.
mia FTW! ^
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Why not get the same cards for your wife?

I've been getting cards for my wife and I for the past 15 months or so (ever since she got her green card) with no apparent ill effects. Our respective credit scores might be down 5-10 points or so. I'll trade that off against close to a million points we got last year!
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by redtop43
Why not get the same cards for your wife?

I've been getting cards for my wife and I for the past 15 months or so (ever since she got her green card) with no apparent ill effects. Our respective credit scores might be down 5-10 points or so. I'll trade that off against close to a million points we got last year!
I think OP meant he could meet minimum spend if he added his wife as an AU, which might mean that he wouldn't be able to meet spend if it was doubled.

Granted, OP could look into Manufactured Spend, as it can be a big help.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 7:44 pm

Thanks for the help. All opened within last 30 days. Just wanted to know which, if any, new card should I consider next considering signup bonus and my existing lines of credit/ recent inquiries. Credit score is 780.

Also, new cards for my wife would be a completely different topic that I am not looking to explore at this time. To make it easy, just assume spend is not an issue. Trying to herd cats to original question.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 7:48 pm

can I ask a newb question here?

I did a similiar apporama in phases over the last 9 months and met all the spend and now getting ready to cancel several of the cards.

How long after the cards are cancelled before I would be safe to try and churn the same cards again?

Which cards should I cancel that would allow the fastest turnaround?

Recommendations / education are greatly appreciated. Cards in the drawer with bonuses collected include

Citi AA cards *2 personal, 1 biz - keep 1 for free luggage? 150k
Chase United MP - keep for free luggage? 50k
Chase Bold 55k
Chase Ink 55k
Chase British Air - keep to keep points current over time? 50k
Chase Sapphire Preferred - already cancelled 40k
Amex SPG 50k
Barclays US Air 35k
Delta Amex - keep for free luggage? 50k
Amex Business biz Platinum - keep for lounge access? targeted 75k for gold then +25k for upgrade = 100k

primary interested in airline tickets-AA and UA are best for us. got a family of 5 to move around 2x every summer and trying to build up excess miles for trip to Australia/NZ in 3 years

thanks

Last edited by g8trgr8t; Mar 21, 2013 at 7:55 pm
Old Mar 21, 2013, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Do you have a trip in mind? Do you have a goal we can help you reach? Without any of that, it's kind of hard to suggest a card over another one.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 8:33 pm
Suspended

I'm trying to be nicer with my responses (you're welcome, phil), so I'm going to ignore your first two questions, as those can easily be answered by searching in the thread related to the cards.

As for your question about keeping the cards for the free luggage, do you travel enough to justify it? If you would be spending more than $100 on luggage a year, per airline, keep it, if not, I wouldn't. This really qualifies for the Amex Platinum too.

The Barclays' US Air I plan on keeping just for the 10k bonus miles on my anniversary, so keep that bonus in mind.

As for which cards you want to keep, CSP and SPG are the two that people usually keep. I see you have an Ink Bold and an "Ink," is that the Plus, Classic, or Cash? It might be worth getting the MC version of CSP, getting the sign on bonus for that one, and keeping it long term. Then downgrade the Ink Plus, or whichever one you want to a Classic, which has no AF, then transferring the UR points to the CSP which you can then transfer to a partner at a decent rate. Doing this will get you bonuses for travel, gas, food, office, internet, tv, phone, etc between both of them, working wisely could make the UR points add up quickly.

Since you want AA and UA miles, keep in mine that you can transfer 1:1 to UA, and 1:1 to BA, which is better for redemption on AA since they are distance based, you'll end up saving miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.