Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2013, 7:38 pm

Which Chase UA are you talking about? I thought the only one active now is only giving 30K?

Originally Posted by nep301
The citi two browser method seems dead now. However, you should apply for the Chase UA for 50k miles. Since it is a personal and not a business card, i think it should be approved.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
Originally Posted by punjabi2
Which Chase UA are you talking about? I thought the only one active now is only giving 30K?
per what i have read - it still works.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA, SW, AA
Originally Posted by arsenalman
They denied my app. They said the business was not open for too long (1 1/2 years).
I wonder if i should even apply for the Saphire now?
Can i do the 2 browser thing now for the Citi AA? i dont think so right
Oh wow I never heard them giving out such an excuse for denying. Call back and talk to another rep.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 11:41 am

RESULTS of APP-O-Rama

Hi all,

So I ended up applying for 5 cards: Chase United MileagePlus, Chase Sapphire Preferred World Mastercard, US Air Barclays Card, Citi AAdvantage Gold, and Citi AAdvantage Platinum. Results:

1) MileagePlus: Approved, $17k limit
2) Sapphire MasterCard: Pending (called and was told I was denied)
3) US Air: Approved, $2k
4) Citi Gold: Approved, $25k
5) Citi Platinum: Pending

I called Chase about the Sapphire MasterCard and was told that the Visa (which I have) and the MasterCard are considered the same product, but that she could transfer me to someone who can convert the Visa into a Mastercard. I think my only prayer of getting the bonus from the MC will be if I call back and CANCEL my Visa to get the Mastercard. I'm waiting til my statement hits on the 13th so I can transfer ALL my UR points to United before I call and try to cancel my Visa for the MasterCard. I'll let you know the results!

As to the Citi Platinum, I applied for that and the Gold on the same day. I've heard you can only apply for one Citi personal card per day, so I'm guessing I was denied, but I'll call the consideration line on Monday and plead my case. Any suggestions for when I call?

Thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2013, 1:58 pm

Programs: All of them!
Originally Posted by arsenalman
From what i have read, Citi cards are the hardest to use manufactured spending on, but i dont think the min spending is too high. As for going for trips, we are in no hurry. I would like to go whenever i could find flights etc, so in no hurry.
You can buy VRs at CVS with Citi just fine and manufacture spend that way. I haven't tried AP, loading the Target Amex, or buying Visa GCs at retail stores, but I suspect those would work too. The only issue with Citi is purchases at a financial institution, such as buying Amex GCs with BigCrumbs. Any purchase from a financial institution is automatically a cash advance with Citi. If you are worried about accidentally getting charged fees, you can ask Citi to set your cash advance limit to $0. They will do it, and then any such transaction would just be declined.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 2:40 pm

Looking for First AOR Advice

My wife and I are planning a trip to Argentina in Nov/Dec and maybe a shorter trip to Europe this summer. We prefer to fly in coach to use less miles.

That said we both just unsuccessfully tried the 2 browser trick (I was approved for the Amex and she was approved for the Visa) with 50,000 miles. Anyway, I’m hoping to get some advice on my first AOR. I have asked a few people and got totally different answers so i'm just confused as to which approach is best and was hoping to get some advice to help me choose.

Advice 1:
Me:
50k BA (for intra-Europe)
50k Amex PRG
55k Chase United

Wife:
50k Amex PRG
40k Chase Sapphire Preferred
40k US Airways

2nd round
Me:
Citi Biz AA
Chase Sapphire Preferred
US Airways MC
BofA Alaska

Wife:
Chase United
Citi AA Biz
US Airways MC
BofA Alaska

Advice 2:
Chase Ink Bold (both of us)
Chase Sapphire Preferred (both of us)
Starwood Amex (both of us)

My current balances are as follows:
AAdvantage - 30K + 50K more from the AMEX (I hit the minimum spend on the first day)
US Airways - 40K
Wife has 50k AAdvantage from the platinum card.

My current cards are the AMEX HHonors Surpass, Citi AAdvantage Amex (just got the card and already hit the minimum) and the Chase Marriott Visa Card. I got the Marriott card in December 2012 and have hit the minimum. My wife has the Capital one Venture card (this is our primary card). I had the Chase US Airways card but just canceled it. I got the card in October and canceled it in February so I can reapply in May or so.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
The 2 browser trick has been dead for quite some time.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by PainCorp
The 2 browser trick has been dead for quite some time.
Yeah, I found out a bit late. Any advice on which strategy below would be best? Thanks
Old Mar 9, 2013, 6:31 pm
Suspended

You should have done the Platinum first, you're probably going to get stuck with 30k AA miles instead of 50k.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
Originally Posted by Lemma
You can buy VRs at CVS with Citi just fine and manufacture spend that way. I haven't tried AP, loading the Target Amex, or buying Visa GCs at retail stores, but I suspect those would work too. The only issue with Citi is purchases at a financial institution, such as buying Amex GCs with BigCrumbs. Any purchase from a financial institution is automatically a cash advance with Citi. If you are worried about accidentally getting charged fees, you can ask Citi to set your cash advance limit to $0. They will do it, and then any such transaction would just be declined.
Good idea. I will call them once i get the card.
Thanks
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:32 am

Good point, except that there was no offer page for the platinum. People said it was 50k but I really don't trust those situations, so I went for the "sure" 30k. Anyone have any experience calling Citi reconsideration line? Any suggestions for me? It'd be really nice to have both cards, since the only reason I spend $89 on the US Airways card was because I wanted a critical mass of AA miles....

Thanks!
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:26 pm

Odd Churn Results

Last card was 91 days ago (Chase BA Visa) and only got 1.

Club Carlson - Instant Approval
AMEX Gold - Instant Approval
AMEX Delta - Instant Approval
Chase Southwest - Deferred
Chase Sapphire - Deferred

I thought once I was approved for the Club Carlson I was golden - you think the BA Visa is what caused the Chase deferments? (I have charged about 20k on the BA Visa since I've had it.

Btw - any Citi offers worth getting today? I didn't really see any
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Since you're in DFW, the AA cards would be a major one. I think you can only do one Citi app/day now though, haven't looked lately.

Edit: Maybe a Barclays' US Air card for an easy 35k miles that should become AA miles by the end of the year.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:43 pm

This isn't odd. Unless your SW card is the biz card, you will get denied for one of your Chase apps because you applied for two personals. Otherwise you'll need to call reconsideration because Chase automatically denies a second card application on the same day.

Check out the Citi HHonors Reserve Card if you don't already have and like to stay in Hilton hotels.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 9:20 pm

Not unusual for Chase to "defer" if you apply for 2 at a time. Did you try to call the reconsideration line? I always call right away and sometimes they will need to move credit from another card to get it approved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.