Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by sktnyc
I applied for Amex Business Gold Rewards card and Amex Personal Platinum card last year. I have already canceled the Gold card and I will be canceling the platinum card next month (before the AF hits). Can anyone please tell me if I am eligible for any other Membership Rewards card?
Assuming you are in the U.S., each application has its own very well spelled out rules. Typically, you can get the same card any time 12 months or more after you cancel, and a different card (Plat rather than gold or vice versa) 90 days after you cancel. Business and personal are separate, so you should be able to get a business plat now or soon, and a personal Gold next spring. Be sure to use private browsing sessions for these and all apps, and do not sign in to AMEX during the application.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 5:53 am

I would probably focus my manufactured spend on the Chase cards, and get those points transferred to Hyatt. Pick Oahu, Maui or Kauai and use those points happily. To get to the islands, focus on AA. You can get the flights straight from Dallas, just up the road. Fly directly to Maui or HNL from dallas. If you have to divert through LAX or other airport, adding a hop to another island might require 5K extra points. also, inter-island flights are just 5K points from AA or UA. Using standard MS techniques, that is just $40 a flight, much cheaper than the $80-100 regular price. Note that UA island hops will jump to 6K points early next year.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by eltex
I would probably focus my manufactured spend on the Chase cards, and get those points transferred to Hyatt. Pick Oahu, Maui or Kauai and use those points happily. To get to the islands, focus on AA. You can get the flights straight from Dallas, just up the road. Fly directly to Maui or HNL from dallas. If you have to divert through LAX or other airport, adding a hop to another island might require 5K extra points. also, inter-island flights are just 5K points from AA or UA. Using standard MS techniques, that is just $40 a flight, much cheaper than the $80-100 regular price. Note that UA island hops will jump to 6K points early next year.
i looked on AA and it doesn't seem i can get directly to Maui from IAH/HOU for 100k points , thats why i am thinking ( if i don't go through the SW cards) to get two citi cards and route through LAX, SAN, SFO as i currently see business/ Economy saver awards to the west coast..i just need to coordinate with BA/AA flight from west coast to Hawaii...

so it seems right now is either two citi or two southwest cards...the thing with the SW cards is through chase and i think am at the max of my credit line with chase and that would leave me to try with my wife's credit but as i stated she has thin file so i MAY try to get her one or two cards max...she applied for freedom about 6 months ago and got denied cause of the thin credit...that's why i went with BOA cash back and discover IT to build her up. if i go through chase for the SW cards, i can try to go for the two cards on my ssn but i have a feeling i may (if i can switch credit around) to get one personal....i looked on the SW site and i could probably get a one "get a way" rate for two for 50k points to west coast..if i do that i won't get the companion pass but at this time i just want to figure out how to get to the islands

thanks for the help so far !
Old Nov 7, 2013, 8:31 am

Programs: AS MVP
Another option for air would be to get the AMEX BRG and Barclays Lufthansa cards, transfer the AMEX points to AC or ANA and book on United with no surcharges for 43(ANA) or 45K(AC) roundtrip, and book a second ticket on the same flights with 40K LH miles, also no surcharges. This is probably the best option if seats are available on UA and you want to avoid Chase. Or simply do one of those and use your 40K USAir miles for the second ticket.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 9:29 am

Also read this thread, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...solidated.html

I got some great ideas there for an award redemption for 4 people
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
Another option for air would be to get the AMEX BRG and Barclays Lufthansa cards, transfer the AMEX points to AC or ANA and book on United with no surcharges for 43(ANA) or 45K(AC) roundtrip, and book a second ticket on the same flights with 40K LH miles, also no surcharges. This is probably the best option if seats are available on UA and you want to avoid Chase. Or simply do one of those and use your 40K USAir miles for the second ticket.
OK i am hyped up !!! i NEED 6k United/UR points and i'll be done !
i looked on united and there is an award flight with the dates we want and i reserved a ticket with the US miles..now i am short 6k to book the one on United so i think i may have to purchase them for 200 dollar and pray the ticket is not gone...

any other ideas how to get 6k points fast other than buying them?
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by jordandawg05
Manufacture some spend at Staples or OD with your Chase Ink for 5x bonus?
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:38 pm

OK i am hyped up !!! i NEED 6k United/UR points and i'll be done !
i looked on united and there is an award flight with the dates we want and i reserved a ticket with the US miles..now i am short 6k to book the one on United so i think i may have to purchase them for 200 dollar and pray the ticket is not gone...

do you have a bluebird account?
or a walmart close.

make it easy:

go to cvs and buy $5k in vanilla reload. load $1k VR per day over 5 days on your bluebird and pay bills with it or whatever
for the other $1k, just buy visa mc at cvs or riteaid or wherever. buy a 1k money order with it. deposit in bank
$6 UR manufactured for cost of $40 in VR fees + $10 MC fees + $0.70 for money order. $50.70 for $6k UR
of course if you do not have a bluebird you can just buy $6k in money orders with 6k visa mc gc. I would not buy more than $2k of money orders at 1 walmart per day. if you are like me you can hit 3 different walmarts in one round trip along with 3 different banks of your chain

edit:
I went the non-OD/staples method since those are not by me.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:58 pm

next churn - trip to hawaii

I went ahead and bought the miles ...I didn't want to manufacture as I wanted to get the miles and seal the deal ...I also went ahead and bought one way out of iah to ogg and now waiting for the miles to post to buy the second leg back and then call US air to redeem miles on the ticket I have on hold.

So hopefully the miles post today I'll be n very good shape for flights and then I can plan for hotel and sign up for few cards . This is better than I expected since i was able to use current miles and points which leaves me to focus on hotel points ..well be there for 7 nights .

Thanks so far !
Old Nov 8, 2013, 4:43 am

I went ahead and bought the miles ...I didn't want to manufacture as I wanted to get the miles and seal the deal ...I also went ahead and bought one way out of iah to ogg and now waiting for the miles to post to buy the second leg back and then call US air to redeem miles on the ticket I have on hold.

So hopefully the miles post today I'll be n very good shape for flights and then I can plan for hotel and sign up for few cards . This is better than I expected since i was able to use current miles and points which leaves me to focus on hotel points ..well be there for 7 nights .

Thanks so far !
awesome! have fun.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 6:14 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat
Data points for multiple US Bank card apps

I scanned FT and saw some reports of waiting 1 year between US Bank card apps but want to collect specific 2013 datapoints.

I got the US Bank Club Carlson personal (for the second night free perk).
Applied Aug 10th as part of 5 card churn (spread across multiple banks).
US Bank had the hardest reconsideration calls (3 total). Got approval and subsequently I froze ARS and IDA credit agencies.

Been 92 days since last application date.
I want the US Bank Avianca/Taca Lifemiles card.

1) data points for shortest time between US Bank card approvals.
2) do the (best number) days start from application, approval, or activation of card?
3) Still Transunion pull?

Thanks.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by aeneas3
awesome! have fun.
it'll be awesome if the points post though so i can book my flight back
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, CC Gold, SPG Gold, AA Exec Platinum
Originally Posted by Justtony
Need some assitance as I'm still new and just been reading through numerous threads.

Upcoming Trip: Planning to travel to Italy/Asia early to mid next year
Current Cards/App dates
1. Capital One (2006)
2. Discover CB (2010)
3. Amex Blue (2010)
4. Macy's Amex (2010)
5. Amex Platinum (3/2013)
6. Chase SP (3/2013)
7. Chase Freedom (7/2013)
8. Chase Business Ink Plus (7/2013 Pending incorpation of my business)
9. Amex Hilton HHnors (7/2013)
10. Citi HHonors Visa Signature (7/2013 Not approved due to many inquries)

My FAKO scores:
Credit Karma - 803
Credit Sesame - 720
Quizzle - 666
Experian - 700s

Is it too early to do an application for the below? Looking to freeze experian as i have 8-9 inquiries this yr with them and non on transunion.

AMEX
1) SPG Personal (30K SPG)
2) SPG business

BARCLAY
3) UsAir Personal (35K US)
4) USAir Biz (25K US)

& Possibly
USBANK
5) Club Carlson Biz (85K CC)
6) Club Carlson Personal (85K CC)

Any suggestions? Is it too soon from my July apps? I know amex pulls experian, barclay is transunion so i should be ok there. Not sure about US bank. I'm located in NYC btw.
So..Planning to do first big app-o-rama and would like some insight. I ended up doing a mini one in late August for 1) Barclays Arrival 2) Barclays US Airways 3) Amex SPG Personal; but plan to do a large one at the end of November.

I'm planning to go to Spain in July 2014 and would like enough points for economy for my gf and self. Possibly a quick trip to HK in Mar 2014 depending on whether i find a deal or not. Here is what I intend to apply for:

Chase
1) United Explorer Personal ~60k UA (even with deval i think it s worth on econ class)
2) Chase Hyatt (for future use since no hotels in spain)
3) Chase Business card UA Explorer ? 50k UA

Citi
1) Citi AAdvantage personal
2) Citi HHonors Reserve
3) Citi Hhonors VIsa Sig

Bank of America
1) Virgin Atlantic Card (For Hilton points) based in NY so maybe not since experian pull

Amex (already have 3 amex cc's, 1 amex charge)
1) Either upgrade Amex Hilton to surpass for 60k hilton or apply for AMex Surpass seperately
2) Amex PRG?

May be too aggressive since i already have 2 transunion pulls, and ~6 experian pulls. I may back off on Citi since I currently have no relationship and not do the business app on Chase.

Any pointers or other options out there? at this point i would value airline.

Current Balance:
UA - 55k
US Airways - 36k
UR - 26k
MR - 14k
SPG - 15k; 35k when I meet spend
Hilton - 55k
Barclay - 44k
Old Nov 8, 2013, 11:26 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Justtony
Citi
1) Citi AAdvantage personal
2) Citi HHonors Reserve
3) Citi Hhonors VIsa Sig
Read up in the Citi AA thread. Max 1 Citi card in a day; 2 in 60 days.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 11:32 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, CC Gold, SPG Gold, AA Exec Platinum
Thanks was planning to spread the 2nd a week+. I guess the 3rd will go with the next app in 2014

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.