Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2013, 11:38 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Also,

Originally Posted by Justtony
Chase
1) United Explorer Personal ~60k UA (even with deval i think it s worth on econ class)
2) Chase Hyatt (for future use since no hotels in spain)
3) Chase Business card UA Explorer ? 50k UA
This might be too aggressive for Chase. Instead of Hyatt, think about the Club Carlson card. You have no USBank anywhere and the BOGO benefit is pretty incredible.

Amex (already have 3 amex cc's, 1 amex charge)
1) Either upgrade Amex Hilton to surpass for 60k hilton or apply for AMex Surpass seperately
Do you have the upgrade offer yet? Thought you had to have the card for at least a year... if you do, that's a far better option, since there shouldn't be a credit pull.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:54 pm

just a quick update , i finalized my booking and tickets are issued !! wow i couldn't have imagined this yesterday but ITS done !!

I guess the US miles came useful , as for some reason i thought it would take more miles.

now i can plan my trip and churn some cards for hotels...i'll do some research and see which cards will get that done...we'll be there for 7 nights ! first time in Hawaii we are existed

thanks for everyone who helped out with the ideas....love FT !
Old Nov 9, 2013, 7:29 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jordandawg05
just a quick update , i finalized my booking and tickets are issued !! wow i couldn't have imagined this yesterday but ITS done !!

I guess the US miles came useful , as for some reason i thought it would take more miles.

now i can plan my trip and churn some cards for hotels...i'll do some research and see which cards will get that done...we'll be there for 7 nights ! first time in Hawaii we are existed

thanks for everyone who helped out with the ideas....love FT !
And remember to rent a car! You can usually do cheapest through UR Mall, weirdly... They have some great rates for Hawaii constantly!
Old Nov 9, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Anybody with similar standing as me?

Current cards:

Citi Preferred (originally Citi Dividend- no sign up bonus) since 2004
Capital One Quicksilver (originally Household Gold) since 2004
Citi Forward (originally Citi MTVU) since 2005
Discover It (originally Discover More) since 2009
Chase Ink Bold since 7/2013
Discover It since 11/2013

Haven't closed any card during the past 12 months. During the last 13-24 months, I closed Chase CSP, Citi Premier, Chase Freedom, Amex Blue and Gap Visa.

Considering to apply for:

Chase Hyatt
Chase Ink Plus
Citi Preferred
Barclay Arrival

Creditkarma score: 778

Leaning towards 3 out of those 4 (I feel 4 is too many). Which one would you rule out?
How are my chances of getting approved for both the Hyatt and Ink Plus considering that my Ink Bold is still relatively new?

Last edited by hightide; Nov 9, 2013 at 10:43 am
Old Nov 9, 2013, 11:35 am

I'm looking for advice on my next churn. It's been 90 days since my last.
My credit score is 740+ with all three credit bureaus.

These are the cards I currently have:
Chase Ink Bold
Chase Ink Plus
Chase United Personal
Chase Priority Club
Barclay US Airways
US Bank Club Carlson
Amex SPG Personal
Amex SPG Business
Amex Hilton Surpass
Citi Thankyou Rewards
Citi AA Platinum Visa
CitiBusiness AA Mastercard
Bank of America Hawaiian Airlines
Bank of Hawaii Hawaiian Airlines

These are my wife and my total balances.
AA 300k
Delta 400k
United 500k
US Air 35k

Ultimate Rewards 160k

SPG 170k
Club Carlson 150k
Priority Club 400k

I was thinking of doing the following for my next churn:
Barclay Arrival 40k (Transunion)
Chase British Airways 100k (Experian)
Chase United Business 50k (Experian)

Can you recommend another two I can add? Can you still get more than one AA card? I don't have any from Equifax. Thanks.

Last edited by rtraveler; Nov 9, 2013 at 2:30 pm
Old Nov 9, 2013, 12:00 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by hightide
Chase Hyatt
Chase Ink Plus
Citi Preferred
Barclay Arrival
[...] Which one would you rule out?
All else being equal, force yourself to quantify ($) the signup bonus for each then decide that way.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
All else being equal, force yourself to quantify ($) the signup bonus for each then decide that way.
You are right, thank you!

Just got approved for Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard.

Have kept trying to go to the Chase Hyatt App with the $50 statement credit, but kept on getting "Sorry, we're experiencing technical difficulties and were unable to complete your request."

Still debating between the last two as they are equal in terms of spend and bonus ratio.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 7:06 am

Nervous

Was finally able to reach the Hyatt app page after changing my browser from explorer to chrome. I'm shocked to get a CL of 25k! That's by far my highest CL ever.

The third card I decided to apply for was Citi Preferred. Got the under review 5-7 business days. I'm nervous now
Don't dare to try Chase Ink Plus as I just got approved for a high limit on a Chase card and already have a pretty recent Chase Ink Bold.

Last edited by hightide; Nov 11, 2013 at 12:10 am Reason: edited "citi" to "chase"
Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hightide
The third card I decided to apply for was Citi Preferred. Got the under review 5-7 business days. I'm nervous now
Don't dare to try Citi Ink Plus as I just got approved for a high limit on a Chase card and already have a pretty recent Citi Ink Bold.
How come I haven't heard about them are they like the Chase Ink Bold and Ink Plus cards?
Old Nov 11, 2013, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
How come I haven't heard about them are they like the Chase Ink Bold and Ink Plus cards?
Sorry, I meant Chase, not Citi.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 8:02 am

New message encountered on today's AOR. Successfully applied and received Barclays Lufthansa World MC, Chase BA, SPG Personal. Then I applied for Citi AAdvantage. After submitting ap, got the following message:

"A system error has caused a delay in processing your application. Please try again later"

Does this mean to call recon line and ask for decision? Or that ap process itself did not go through and I need to re-submit? Has anyone else gotten this response? Spouses ap in October got an approval screen with CL right away.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by healthnut
And remember to rent a car! You can usually do cheapest through UR Mall, weirdly... They have some great rates for Hawaii constantly!
cool, i'll have to check UR mall ! oh i didn't even think car rental yet !! i guess i need to add that to the list of expenses and plan for it. i guess the international places i visited i didn't dare to drive but i guess maybe its feasible in Hawaii this time around.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 8:58 am

Wanted to post my AoR experience today. It totally sucked at 2 out of 4.

Discover - Approved, it's my first card
Chase Business - Approved after closing 1 personal card and transferring credit limit to new business card
AMEX Business - Declined, and I couldn't get to a reasonable recon CSR
Barclays - Fugh em...

I'm thinking of applying for a Citi Business mail offer I received later today... but 2 out of 4 has been my worst AoR ever!!!

A major complaint is that I have too many open cards, even though I have a perfect payment history and less than 5% utilization every month... so it seems that at this "advanced" level, some of the usual advice like having many cards does not apply.

In particular, having too many open cards (e.g. 15 for my case) is being seen as bad. In light of this, I am thinking of canceling some of my older cards, and closing cards at the 9mth mark as opposed to waiting for the full 12mth.

From now to the end of the year, I'm planning on cancelling 1 from Barclays that has an AF (hitting Apr 2014), 1 from CapOne which is a toy card from the beginning, 1 from AMEX that has an AF (hitting Mar 2014), 1 from Citi that has an AF (hitting Mar 2014) I know this will result in a lower AoA of open cards and lower overall credit limit, but it seems that I have no choice.

Has anyone had to intentionally cancel cards before the next app, so that you have less number of accounts open?

Last edited by Rommie2k6; Nov 11, 2013 at 9:31 am
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by roneyc
"A system error has caused a delay in processing your application. Please try again later"

Does this mean to call recon line and ask for decision? Or that ap process itself did not go through and I need to re-submit? Has anyone else gotten this response? Spouses ap in October got an approval screen with CL right away.
Update: Called recon and they said it truly was technical error. Rep approved during call for $15.5k CL.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 2:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Looking to apply for US Bank's Club Carlson Premier card, as well as Barclay's Arrival card (in addition to 3 others). Since I know both US Bank and Barclays are sensitive to multiple inquiries, which of these should I apply for first? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by dajoip; Nov 11, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.