Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:50 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by SquarePeg
Unless things have changed very recently, most mortgage companies/banks will do a second credit pull right before closing. I would wait until after closing to do your mega apporama.
Originally Posted by 9Benua
^ Wait until the mortgage close before doing your apporama
Thanks for the heads up. Shouldn't be an issue to wait until the refi closes.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by rambo
I would recommend adding 2 more cards to you AOR from the list below

USB - Club carlson - I am from CA and I got equifax pull
Barclays arrival - Usually TU pull
BOA cards - Virgin Atlantic - 50K offer or Alaska air - 25K - 40K offer

BOA/Chase/Citi pulled Experion for me.
So if you choose to apply for BOA card, apply for this last.

I recently did a AOR and was approved for 5 of 7.
I was wondering why you were suggesting the two BofA cards. Since I'm currently not a member of those frequent flyer clubs, would it be diluting miles away from my UA and AA accounts?
Old Oct 30, 2013, 9:22 am

There was a guy on FWF who was chasing 0% offers to fund his stock portfolio (not a choice I would make) that did something in the high teens to low twenties. I forget the total number, some one would mention an offer and he added it to the list. His conversion rate wasn't that great, especially since he was rolling over balances he already had (and thus had high utilization which impacted his score).

You taking on all 11 yourself or splitting with the spouse?
Old Oct 30, 2013, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by wholelottamiles
Would like some advice about applying for Hilton HHonors no fee Amex card after having gotten the Jetblue Amex card in January and Starwood SPG Amex personal in May. My score has dipped to 705 on Credit Sesame. I was going to lay low for another couple of months but I have some Hilton stays coming up.

Credit Sesame is nonsense. Go for it. The worst that happens is they say no. After 12 months you may get an upgrade offer as well. HHonors points are gutted for top properties, but the devaluation wasn't as rough if you need a random night at a hampton inn or something.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 9:29 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by wholelottamiles
This is what I thought but I'm reading it can hurt approval, that's
my concern. So I can learn from this that it wouldn't necessarily,
probably won't, reduce my score but my goal is approval.
That is an important and reasonable concern. Keep in mind it's usually only within a single lender. So 15k from BoA would generally only affect BoA approvals and many banks will let you reallocate existing credit line from one of their own cards to overturn a denial. (not sure about BoA)
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
When I first started out I applied for something like 12 or 13. This was in 2007, before all the blogs started, and I didn't know about FT. I just applied until I got denied. IMO, do as many as you can meet the min spend on.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:49 am

How bad is the hit to your credit score when you're applying to that many cards at once?
Old Oct 30, 2013, 9:31 pm

Nice. Love the courage OP! I don't have the bal....

I'm happy with 11 since Feb.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 4:55 pm

This would be just for me. Spouse will do some more Min spend really is a non-issue in this day and age of MS where I can generate $20k spend a month with very little effort. Some of the cards on my list are there purely for MS purposes as opposed to upfront bonuses (WF 5% cashback and TD Ameritrade 5% rewards), and some are just good keeper cards I've not yet got round to getting (PenFed travel rewards, Fidelity Amex), along with some of the big sign up ones.

I have 13 lined up and think I will get at least 11 of them.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 9:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
This would be just for me. Spouse will do some more Min spend really is a non-issue in this day and age of MS where I can generate $20k spend a month with very little effort. Some of the cards on my list are there purely for MS purposes as opposed to upfront bonuses (WF 5% cashback and TD Ameritrade 5% rewards), and some are just good keeper cards I've not yet got round to getting (PenFed travel rewards, Fidelity Amex), along with some of the big sign up ones.

10-12 sounds about right to me after a 6 month break. +1 on waiting until after the refi closes and funds. The fact that you have signed the papers at the title company or wherever you close does not mean it's all done. When you hear the fat lady singing your old lender has been paid you can fire up the AOR.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 11:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA
Originally Posted by ma91pmh

Do you repeat and recycle? How do you decide on what to apply?

Trying to learn the trade from the masters!!
Old Nov 4, 2013, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by lacuadra
Do you repeat and recycle? How do you decide on what to apply?

Trying to learn the trade from the masters!!
It all depends on the card and the purpose really. Some cards in my wallet are just simple keepers. Like the much maligned Discover card, which both my wife and I have and manage to get some good cashback bonuses for. In this batch I am looking to get the Fidelity Amex and PenFed travel rewards as keeper cards. Keeper cards for me offer some good standing benefits and have no annual fees (or at the very least I know I can get the fees waived)

For the rest it depends on specific cards and churn cycles. With Chase and Amex I try to get a card once, keep it for a year then close. Then the following year I let my spouse get it. Then the year after I can usually get it again with the sign up bonus. This pattern works well for Chase and Amex. If cards are more churnable than that, like Bank of America, then I will just add them into the cycle on any given round.

My usual cycle has been 6-7 cards per quarter. But with some time on the bench I want to make up for lost ground
Old Nov 4, 2013, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
10-12 sounds about right to me after a 6 month break. +1 on waiting until after the refi closes and funds. The fact that you have signed the papers at the title company or wherever you close does not mean it's all done. When you hear the fat lady singing your old lender has been paid you can fire up the AOR.
thanks for the feedback. my last two refi's nothing was pulled after the initial three bureau pull, but for sure i can see the sense in making sure it's funded as anything can of course go wrong until then. saving a few hundred per month is more than i am going to earn through any single app-o-rama
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime PE, Hilton Dia, WN CP, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by gofarhaveacigar

BoA Alaska Airlines (although 25k AS miles doesn't seem really worth it for the hard pull?)
Don't forget that Alaska miles are worth more than most other airlines. A domestic coach ticket on AS starts at 15k.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:56 pm

Just Curious, Since bumpage was mentioned. Does anyone pay for bumpage just for AORs? I have 10 hards on my TU. 2 Fresh, 3 that are 7 months old, and 5 that are 13 months old. Would anyone pay for bumpage, or not worry about it since half are over a year? - I won't be doing another AOR for at least 5-6 months. But I'd like to get another US Bank on my next round if possible.
(for KY Chase, Barclay, US Bank, Etc all pull TU).
I wouldn't say i have a thin file, but my oldest card is 6 years, and avg age is probably under 2 years

Note for US Bank:
If you haven't already, be sure to put a freeze on those pesky additional agencies or there is almost no chance of being approved for US Bank if you're a churner. ( IDA / ARS )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.