Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2013, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by personia
I am shooting for a minimum of 120,000 points in the next three months to redeem for two business class round trip tickets with United from DTW - ATH next spring/summer.

I have a credit score around 750, can support a maximum of $10,000 CC spend in 3 months, and have the following cards already:

AMEX SPG Personal 25k
AMEX SPG Business 30k
Citi AA Personal 50k

I am considering the following cards:

Chase Sapphire Preferred 40k
Chase Ink/Bold 50k
United Explorer 50K

However, if there is a better way to rack up 120,000 points to redeem on United, I am open to suggestions!

Please help!
Not sure if Chase will approve 3 cards in a short time... especially if don't have an established relationship with them.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 8:49 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Would like to start churning around December and be able to do it every so often. I just began getting into CC/MS/etc in July of this year, so I'd like some tips with my limited income and current needs/cards.

Currently:
Chase Freedom (11/12)
CSP (5/13)
Chase Hyatt (6/13)
AMEX BCP (6/13)

Income: ~$21k (FT law student/work at firm PT) + help from parents

I believe I've hit my internal limit with Chase ($15k), so I'd like to stay away... Plus I don't really see a card to have unless it's the Ink series.

Have Costa Rica booked on Hyatt points in May and would like to get a card that I can book my flights with via the signup bonuses. Need to fly through UA or AA, so I was thinking SPG or AA cards (need 30k points).

Possibly looking to book another trip for December 2014 or definitely after the bar in August 2015 (Asia). I have currently 53k in UR points, and will most likely going straight through Hyatt (I travel often) so flights are the only issue again.

Any upfront tips or cards I should target? Have no cards from Cap1 or Citi. Obviously my income is what hinders me, but I hope I can make it work!

Experian: 731
Credit Sesame: 732
Credit Karma: 750
Util: 0-4% depending on if I let a card report a balance or not...
Old Oct 19, 2013, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Call the recon line and see what they say, no one on this board can answer your question....
Actually, if you read the thread, someone (not you, of course) did.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by healthnut
Would like to start churning around December and be able to do it every so often. I just began getting into CC/MS/etc in July of this year, so I'd like some tips with my limited income and current needs/cards.

I believe I've hit my internal limit with Chase ($15k), so I'd like to stay away...

Have Costa Rica booked on Hyatt points in May and would like to get a card that I can book my flights with via the signup bonuses. Need to fly through UA or AA, so I was thinking SPG or AA cards (need 30k points)

Any upfront tips or cards I should target? Have no cards from Cap1 or Citi. Obviously my income is what hinders me, but I hope I can make it work!
Definitely get a Citi AA card, and I'd go for one Barclays as well. But for Costa Rica, if you are starting within 450 miles of Houston or 650 miles of Miami, ANA or BA miles transferrred from AMEX BRG have the lowest cost at 22K or 24K.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by JWEMTX
Not sure if Chase will approve 3 cards in a short time... especially if don't have an established relationship with them.
I was approved for a CSP the first week of Sept. Applied for the 50k UA card and the 80k IHG card on Thursday (10/17) and was approved for both even though I had to call in to the fraud dept to verify it was me. Never had a Chase card in my life before and never banked with Chase before.

Just a data point.

Probably not the best route to go, but just wanted to say it's possible.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 11:14 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by healthnut
Have Costa Rica booked on Hyatt points in May and would like to get a card that I can book my flights with via the signup bonuses. Need to fly through UA or AA, so I was thinking SPG or AA cards (need 30k points).
Also think about booking UA flights using US miles. Options there would be the US card for 35k and/or the SPG card transferring to US 1:1 plus the 25k transfer bonus.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 12:45 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Also think about booking UA flights using US miles. Options there would be the US card for 35k and/or the SPG card transferring to US 1:1 plus the 25k transfer bonus.
I've never thought about this! (I always forget to check the alliance partners!) US site is not working for me right now, but will check the amount of point needed as soon as I can!
Old Oct 19, 2013, 5:54 pm

I need some advice for applying for multiple credit cards. (crosspost)

Currently have: Chase SP, AMEX Spg (just authorized user on husband's account), Wells Fargo CC (stopped using because points redemption is horrible), and a Citi Thank You (not premium) regular card (authorized user on husband's account).

I applied for Chase SP and Chase United the same day at the end of August this year. They wouldn't give me both since "i had no established relationship with them" yet, so I chose the CSP.

Is it too soon to apply for 4 or 5 credit cards? And since I don't have history with that many places should I ramp up slowly? Have had the wells fargo cc for 8 years, citi for 3 years, amex for 8 years (had blue sky prior).

Really want the Chase Ink and to try for the southwest companion pass, but from reading threads it seems like I'd be better off waiting until 90 days from the last app. So looking at the AMEX Biz Gold, Club Carlson, Citi Hilton. Planning to eventually do my own SPG card, but figured I would wait until next summer when they over 30k again, since we have over 120K points with them right now anyway.

Main travel goals are to get to southeast asia every year and possible another international flight every other year for a family of four in business or better. It seems like collecting points that can be transferred to united is my best bet since SFO is my airport.

I would love any advice.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
They don't have a citi card, and since Citi has a lot of AA cards with 50K that is a way to go too.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 8:51 am

I have a question about my next move if anyone has some advice.

I currently have the following:
CSP
Ink Plus
Amex Gold PW (got a targeted offer of 50k MR with 1k spend, could not pass it up)
Barclay Arrival
Citi Simplicity for a BT
Cap One non-rewards card, don't really use but have a BT on it as well
The question - I have a Citi diamond preferred "easy deals" card. Worst card ever. It has darn near 20k as a limit. It's basically taking up a ton of space/credit I could use for actual rewards cards from Citi, no balance on it.

So, given the last card, can/should I go to Citi and see if they can convert it to something with a rewards promo? Or should I call and cancel it, then apply for something else? I'm at a point that I've had about 5 new cards in 3 months so I don't want to do a whole lot right now. I got declined for the ClubCarlson card due to inquiries and I am taking that as a sign that I need to cool it for a bit. So, any advice on what to do about the crappy Citi card with a 20k limit? I don't want to cut off that much credit since my utilization will get hurt, but I feel like I'm leaving something on the table if I just leave it open. Any ideas appreciated, sorry if this has been covered already. I'm still pretty green with a lot of this.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 9:32 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by meadows6
I need some advice for applying for multiple credit cards. (crosspost)

Currently have: Chase SP, AMEX Spg (just authorized user on husband's account), Wells Fargo CC (stopped using because points redemption is horrible), and a Citi Thank You (not premium) regular card (authorized user on husband's account).

I applied for Chase SP and Chase United the same day at the end of August this year. They wouldn't give me both since "i had no established relationship with them" yet, so I chose the CSP.

Main travel goals are to get to southeast asia every year and possible another international flight every other year for a family of four in business or better. It seems like collecting points that can be transferred to united is my best bet since SFO is my airport.

I would love any advice.
First off, if you want to travel with 4 people in business class to SE Asia every year, you will have to focus your miles earning strategy on your goals. There are some threads dotting around the forum on redeeming for families, it can be tricky to get all the seats on one plane/one program. So you need an awful lot of points for this.

There's no point in willy nilly signing up for bonuses that won't get you where you want to go. Newbies often end up with random points balances here and there, not enough to get them where they want to go. If you're moving 4 people around, you have to be even more strategic. Can your spouse sign up for cards, too?

I"m not hugely familiar with the possible routing out of SFO to SE Asia with points, but at least you are starting in a left coast city with many options.

So start by looking up your desired destination on Wikipedia. Then see who flies there and what alliance they are in. Working backwards, figure out which alliance, then which cards transfer to that airline.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
First off, if you want to travel with 4 people in business class to SE Asia every year, you will have to focus your miles earning strategy on your goals. There are some threads dotting around the forum on redeeming for families, it can be tricky to get all the seats on one plane/one program. So you need an awful lot of points for this.

There's no point in willy nilly signing up for bonuses that won't get you where you want to go. Newbies often end up with random points balances here and there, not enough to get them where they want to go. If you're moving 4 people around, you have to be even more strategic. Can your spouse sign up for cards, too?

I"m not hugely familiar with the possible routing out of SFO to SE Asia with points, but at least you are starting in a left coast city with many options.

So start by looking up your desired destination on Wikipedia. Then see who flies there and what alliance they are in. Working backwards, figure out which alliance, then which cards transfer to that airline.
I definitely understand that. My husband can also sign up for cards. We flew united business this past summer and are flying united again (only economy plus) this coming april. So i know if I get cards with points that can be transferred to United that helps. I've read that Korean Air has a lot of award availability, but I don't know much about them. The good thing is, I can plan trips far in advance. But you're absolutely right, there's no point in collecting miles for an airline that, although it has service to seoul from sfo, it's impossible to find four seats in business.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 12:00 am

chase limit

Originally Posted by JWEMTX
Signed wife up for business and personal SW cards..bus was approved, but personal needed call...was told she applied for AirTran 28 days before the 2 apps and their limit was only 2 cards in 30 days...since the call was after the 30 day limit, she reallocated some credit, resubmitted and approved her...2 more years of companion pass here we come.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by trvtec
I
The question - I have a Citi diamond preferred "easy deals" card. Worst card ever. It has darn near 20k as a limit. It's basically taking up a ton of space/credit I could use for actual rewards cards from Citi, no balance on it.
Call and ask to change to a forward (5X TYP on restaurants, bookstores incl amazon, and movies). They may not give it to you, then ask for Dividend (5% on rotating categories, max 5% spend of $6K per year - a little nicer than Freedom/Discover in that you aren't locked to 1.5K per quarter but can hit one quarter for the full annual amount). Otherwise just sock drawer it (one or two charges per year) and be willing to re-allocate the line with future apps.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 12:41 pm

AOR Advice - Details Inside

Hello,

Was wondering if I could get some guidance on doing an AOR. To this point, I've been dabbling at credit card sign up bonuses, but I've been signing up as they come along, rather than focusing on targetting specific programs and specific cards and churning them.

My currently open accounts:

AMEXL
AMEX BCP (opened approx 1 year ago)
Amex Blue (opened 2008)

BOA:
BankAmericard Cash Rewards Signature Visa (converted from old Schwab Card) (Opened March 2010)

Barclays:
Priceline Visa (Opened 11/2012)
NFL Card (Opened 9/2012)

Chase:
CSP (Opened 9/2013)
Southwest Personal (Opened 6/2013) - got companion pass through end of 2014
Flexible Rewards (Oldest card - Opened 9/2005)
Slate (Opened 8/2012)

Citi:
Forward (Opened 11/2007)
TY Preferred Mastercard (used for MS) (Opened 4/2013)

Discover:
Platinum (Opened 1/2011)

NFCU:
Mastercard Platinum (Opened 7/2011)
Visa Signature Flagship Rewards (Opened 10/2013)

Recently closed cards:
Amex PRG (5/2013)
Amex SPG (8/2011)
Chase Southwest Business (9/2013) - Companion Pass
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer (1/2013)
Chase Freedom (12/2012)
Chase AARP (12/2012)
Citi TYP Visa (12/2012)
Citizens Bank (4/2013)

I live in the northeast (Boston, Providence airports). I have the southwest companion pass, so domestic flights are already taken care of.

Goals are trips and hotels in Europe. Going to France in September 2014 for a honeymoon (using united miles to fly coach from mine and fiancee's CSP cards).

Thinking of applying to:
Chase Hyatt (2 free nights would be huge in Nice or Paris) - potentiall for myself and fiancee, but both of have gotten CSP in the last 3 months
Club Carlson (fiancee - I got denied for too many recent inquiries about a montha go)
Citi AA (both me and fiancee)
SPG (both me and fiancee - it's been 2 years+ since I had mine)

No legitimiate business, so business cards are a bit of a stretch.

What am I missing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.