Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2013, 1:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP
The LAN card looked interesting to me, I've wanted an Alaska card and hope to get a WN CP next spring. So I pulled the trigger on an iffy little AOR looking for cards number 16, 17 and 18 so far in 2013. 1-15 are all still open - 2 Chase personal, 1 Chase business, 5 Citi personal, 2 Barclays personal, 3 AMEX personal, 2 AMEX Business. Results:

Chase Southwest Plus approved after easy phone call, credit moved from the United card that I will hit 25K spending on with my next AP. Now I just need another 50K offer in February or so for the business card. I was a little worried about this one because I was denied for the United business card back in July.

B of A Alaska card with $100 statement credit to offset annual fee: instant approval, 10+K CL.

US Bank LAN card 40K after first purchase, 10K more after 5K purchase: pending. I really don't care which way that one goes.

Call me happy!

Last edited by KennyBSAT; Oct 14, 2013 at 6:58 pm
Old Oct 14, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Delete duplicate
Old Oct 14, 2013, 6:56 pm

I just completed minimum spending on my last churn, and I am itching. I was thinking of lying low until Feb 2014, but I'm not sure.

How long should I wait until my next Churn? Here's my history:

Oct 2010: Citi Forward (1st card), CapOne Secured (closed Sep 2011)
Apr 2011: CapOne Journey Rewards, AMEX Green (closed Mar 2012), Chase Amazon, FIA AMEX
Nov 2011: Citi Diamond Preferred, Chase Freedom
Apr 2012: Barclays US Airways, Citi TK Premier (closed Mar 2013), AMEX Delta Skymiles (closed Jun 2013)
Aug 2012: Chase Priority Club, AMEX Hilton, BoA Virgin AMEX (closed Jun 2013)
Mar 2013: USBank Club Carlson, AMEX Gold, Citi AA AMEX, Chase Ink Bold
Jul 2013: Chase A-Tran, AMEX BCP, BoA Cash Rewards, Citi AA Visa

Cards to close due to AF: AMEX Gold (Mar 2014), Citi AA AMEX (Mar 2014), Chase Ink Bold (Mar 2014)

Going forward here are the cards I really want from each issuer:
1) Chase Ritz-Carlton (70k pts), Chase Business United Airlines (50k miles)
2) Citi: No good offers, best I can see is 30k TYP from Citi TY Preferred
3) AMEX: No good offers. I can't qualify for the Skymiles ongoing promo, since my last Skymiles card ended in Jun 2013. I can't qualify for AMEX charge cards promo as I have an existing one. Business skymiles or MR cards would be my best shot, but I haven't seen any good deals within reasonable spend (less than $3k).
4) BoA Virgin MC (50k miles).
5) Barclays and USBank I have some ideas, but these are tough ones, so writing them off for now....

The problem right now is that I have no good (>50k pts) from Citi and AMEX. Also with my increased churn frequency (which would make 3 times this year), I'm thinking of laying low till Jan/Feb 2014.

Comments anyone? Wait for better offers from Citi and AMEX?
Old Oct 15, 2013, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
I just completed minimum spending on my last churn, and I am itching. I was thinking of lying low until Feb 2014, but I'm not sure.

How long should I wait until my next Churn?
Have you read this thread some, your questions have been answered.

Here is a hint.... This is a Marathon not a sprint....
Old Oct 16, 2013, 11:36 am

I want to get the CP on SW in early 2014, so I am in the process of applying for the business and personal Chase Plus cards. I applied for the business version this morning and was approved after calling the application status line. My question is should I apply for the personal version today or wait until tomorrow? Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:03 pm

Update: I got antsy and went ahead and applied for the personal Plus and was instantly approved!

So to recap, I applied for the business Plus this morning (first business cc ever), received a "pending" response, called the application status line and was approved after talking to a rep. Then this afternoon, I applied for the personal Plus and was instantly approved. I was surprised that I was automatically approved on the second one considering that I had to call in this morning and it was my second application of the day. Looking forward to the CP next year!
Old Oct 16, 2013, 6:04 pm

Programs: BA, AA, United
my app-o-rama for today.

Applied in this order:
Clubcarlson - Approved online
Barclay Arrival - approved online
Chase CSP - Called chase and got credit reallocated
BOA virgin atlantic - approved online
BOA Alaska airlines - called and they approved
Citi Business Mastercard - rejected because I already have the card
Citi Hilton - app being reviewed
Old Oct 18, 2013, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Chase Southwest Business Card - denied. said I have applied for 5 cards in last 6 months, even though the just gave me $35k line on a personal card the day before. I told them they could transfer some of that $35k to a business line, but no dice.

i should still hit CP next year, but will take most of the year versus 1 month.

in retrospect, I should have applied for business first then personal.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 7:06 pm

I have applied for 5 cards in the last 6 months too, but 2 biz / 3 pers. The last was an AmEx a little over a month ago. At the time, I was told (along with acceptance) that my score was 784.

Been following this thread and thought I'd try a mini-app--2 SWA Chase (1 biz / 1 pers) and the regular Citi HHonors today. Nothing special, but things that would help me and my family.

I somewhat expected to get waitlisted by both Chases, or at least the biz, but was somewhat stunned to get rejected by Citi--my first app with them in 2 years.

What did I do wrong, other than maybe having too many pulls? (There was also a mortgage refi in there 3 months ago, come to think of it.) Kind of feel like a putz.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by AveApostle
I have applied for 5 cards in the last 6 months too, but 2 biz / 3 pers. The last was an AmEx a little over a month ago. At the time, I was told (along with acceptance) that my score was 784.

Been following this thread and thought I'd try a mini-app--2 SWA Chase (1 biz / 1 pers) and the regular Citi HHonors today. Nothing special, but things that would help me and my family.

I somewhat expected to get waitlisted by both Chases, or at least the biz, but was somewhat stunned to get rejected by Citi--my first app with them in 2 years.

What did I do wrong, other than maybe having too many pulls? (There was also a mortgage refi in there 3 months ago, come to think of it.) Kind of feel like a putz.
When I submitted my HHonors app Monday it was "denial" on the final screen. I'm not sure if they have separate language for "denial" vs. "pending" but I got a call from a Citi rep today telling me the app was approved.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 7:32 pm

I am shooting for a minimum of 120,000 points in the next three months to redeem for two business class round trip tickets with United from DTW - ATH next spring/summer.

I have a credit score around 750, can support a maximum of $10,000 CC spend in 3 months, and have the following cards already:

AMEX SPG Personal 25k
AMEX SPG Business 30k
Citi AA Personal 50k

I am considering the following cards:

Chase Sapphire Preferred 40k
Chase Ink/Bold 50k
United Explorer 50K

However, if there is a better way to rack up 120,000 points to redeem on United, I am open to suggestions!

Please help!
Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Slickw
When I submitted my HHonors app Monday it was "denial" on the final screen. I'm not sure if they have separate language for "denial" vs. "pending" but I got a call from a Citi rep today telling me the app was approved.
Thank you. Thanks very much. I don't know why it mattered/s so much to me...like when one of my teams loses, that kind of gut punch.

So let's hope, that upon further review...
Old Oct 18, 2013, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AveApostle
Call the recon line and see what they say, no one on this board can answer your question....
Old Oct 19, 2013, 12:20 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by personia
I am shooting for a minimum of 120,000 points in the next three months to redeem for two business class round trip tickets with United from DTW - ATH next spring/summer.

I have a credit score around 750, can support a maximum of $10,000 CC spend in 3 months, and have the following cards already:

AMEX SPG Personal 25k
AMEX SPG Business 30k
Citi AA Personal 50k

I am considering the following cards:

Chase Sapphire Preferred 40k
Chase Ink/Bold 50k
United Explorer 50K

However, if there is a better way to rack up 120,000 points to redeem on United, I am open to suggestions!

Please help!
Don't think so. It's a good plan, except that it will cost you 100K for one ticket.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by mnscout
Don't think so. It's a good plan, except that it will cost you 100K for one ticket.
Thanks for your response!

You're right. I was only looking at one way flights It looks like there are some Saver Economy flights that would be 60,000 round trip. Do you think this is feasible?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.