Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2013, 2:56 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I'm fairly new to churning as well, but I see room for you to obtain:

Citi AA (as mentioned), which would give you 50k each towards flights to Europe, as well as the Alaska card, which would give you 25k each towards flights to Europe that you can use with AA.

That would net you with 150k points to use on AA flights.

You could also both grab the BOA US Airway MC for 30k each (no min. spend required). Although, you can only use points for roundtrip tickets, so I'm not sure how that would help your Europe trip...
Old Oct 22, 2013, 3:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Kimpton Inner Circle
I'd definitely go for the Citi AA cards while the 50k links are still around, as they have been up and down over the past few months.

Europe has a lot of Club Carlson properties so that is a good option, but freeze your IDA and ARS reports prior to the applications as explained in this thread. It's tough to get approved with more than a few open accounts.

The Hyatt is a great option as well, I'd go for them as your Chase personal application.

I'd consider the Ink Bold or Plus cards at 50k UR points each. You can apply using your social security number and don't need any previous income, just the intent to start some sort of business. I own a rental property and had just started renting it out a few months prior to applying for Ink cards and AMEX Business Gold when the bonus was at 75K. If you want any more details you can PM me or search the forums on exactly what questions the CSR will ask during reconsideration if your application isn't immediately approved. This would open up more UR points to consolidate with your CSP account, leading to more United and Hyatt transfers.

Good luck!
Old Oct 22, 2013, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by healthnut

Citi AA (as mentioned), which would give you 50k each towards flights to Europe, as well as the Alaska card, which would give you 25k each towards flights to Europe that you can use with AA.

You could also both grab the BOA US Airway MC for 30k each (no min. spend required). Although, you can only use points for roundtrip tickets, so I'm not sure how that would help your Europe trip...
There's no such thing as a BOA US Airways MC. You mean Barclay's?
Old Oct 22, 2013, 6:53 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM

Careful with the math here - while it is mathematically correct that you will have a combined 150K AA miles, you will actually only have 100K + 50K miles which doesn't buy you as much ticket for two as 75K +75K.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 8:07 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Thank you both! You've helped me. I guess the most important use of the Alaska miles is a saver award for a one-way trip, but yes I'm sorry I wasn't most specific about them being in different programs.

I tend to grab the best sign-up bonuses and then make it work into my trips! Definitely not for everyone, and no extensive planning, but it works for me!
Old Oct 23, 2013, 4:03 pm

My wife got a targetted offer for the 100k amex platinum. That seems like not worth passing up, so perhaps it's time to consider an app-o-rama to get the most from the credit dings.

We Value: generally valuable points for eventual redemption, a 2nd companion pass would be nice.

Thoughts:
Southwest Personal and Biz for companion pass.
Usair Barclays & Citi AA to make the most of possible changes following the merger

Others suggestions?
Old Oct 23, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat., BFD
Do the Barclay's first...

Originally Posted by oshelef
My wife got a targetted offer for the 100k amex platinum. That seems like not worth passing up, so perhaps it's time to consider an app-o-rama to get the most from the credit dings.

We Value: generally valuable points for eventual redemption, a 2nd companion pass would be nice.

Thoughts:
Southwest Personal and Biz for companion pass.
Usair Barclays & Citi AA to make the most of possible changes following the merger

Others suggestions?
Based on what's been reported in the USAir Barclay's Mastercard threads, you should do the Barclay's first, and if you need to call the reconsideration line do that before you apply to the others. On recon. line they have been pulling reports from EX and EQ in addition to their usual TU. There have been reports of denials if they see hits from other apps.

The SW cards are a good deal right now and I really like having the Amex Plat.

Good luck!

AAmlgm8r
Old Oct 24, 2013, 2:41 am

Data point:

Portfolio going into AOR:
21 Cards
Amex (6): DL Gold Bus, BRG, MB Plat, HH, PRG, SPG
BOA (3): AA. AA Bis.
Barclay (2): Luft, USA
Cap One (1): GM
Chase (4): Disney, Sapph, UA (Bus), Ink Plus
Citi (3): AA, AA Bus, HH Reserve,
FIA (1): Fidelity 529
TD Bank (1): Business rewards

Recent (2013 - 12):
Feb 14 (1): Barclay USA
Feb 25 (1) Amex PRG
March 28 (3): Citi AA, AA Bus, Chase Sapph
May 3 (1): Amex MB Plat
June 26 (5): BOA AA, personal and bus, Barclay Luft, Chase UA Bus, Citi Hilt Res
July 21 (1): Amex HH

AOR Oct 25 (4 for 4):
BOA Virgin Atlantic: Denied (too many recent apps), immediate call to recon, approved
Citi Hilton Signature: Approved
Chase BA: Pending, immediate call to recon, approved
Chase Ink Classic: Pending, immediate call to recon, approved

I think I'll give it a rest for a while!

Last edited by MrMoonlight; Oct 25, 2013 at 3:36 am
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:39 am

Thank you both! You've helped me. I guess the most important use of the Alaska miles is a saver award for a one-way trip, but yes I'm sorry I wasn't most specific about them being in different programs.

I tend to grab the best sign-up bonuses and then make it work into my trips! Definitely not for everyone, and no extensive planning, but it works for me!
Just out of curiosity... why did you close the Chase Freedom?
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:27 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by djtsukasa
Just out of curiosity... why did you close the Chase Freedom?

?? I didn't! Where did I talk about a Freedom?
Old Oct 25, 2013, 12:13 am

Hello guys,

I am interested in doing my next AOR, and I asked this before but I have a new question. I currently have:

5 Chase cards (2 ink, SP, freedom, explorer personal)
3 Amex (Plat, SPG, and Cash Card)
1 Fidelity 2x Amex card

I want to do these cards next:

1) Chase British Airways Visa Signature
2) 2 Southwest cards (biz and personal)
3) Amex PRG and SPG biz
4) USBank Club Carlson and Flex premier

So:

1) I want to do a 3BM on chase - which will be 2 pulls, but some said it is really dangerous at this point. Should I just stick with the 2 new SW or go for the BA as well?
2) What is better to do the USBank cards online or at the bank itself, after I open the premier bank account to raise the flex points by 0.5?
3) Any other cards I am missing out on???

Thanks!
Old Oct 25, 2013, 6:06 am

Reason I had cancelled the Freedom card is it was fairly new, and Chase was reluctant to approve me for the United Card, and wanted to close one of my other accounts. Since the Freedom was my newest ones that didn't have a balance (I had a BT on Slate at the time), I closed Freedom.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by raccah
Hello guys,

I am interested in doing my next AOR, and I asked this before but I have a
1) I want to do a 3BM on chase - which will be 2 pulls, but some said it is really dangerous at this point. Should I just stick with the 2 new SW or go for the BA as well?
2) What is better to do the USBank cards online or at the bank itself, after I open the premier bank account to raise the flex points by 0.5?
3) Any other cards I am missing out on???

Thanks!
What is your goal for all of these points and cards, I'm sure you got asked this question last time....
Old Oct 25, 2013, 9:37 am

The goal is to get points that I can use to fly. The SW points are for LA trips and the free companion for 2014 and 2015. The BA would be for short trips. The Amex are just for more hotel points and 3x flight card. The US Bank is for points at hotels and trips as well.

The question is will a 3BM be dangerous with Chase or should I stick with a 2BM?

Also, what is the best way to get a US Bank card - in the bank or online???
Old Oct 25, 2013, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by raccah
The goal is to get points that I can use to fly. The SW points are for LA trips and the free companion for 2014 and 2015. The BA would be for short trips. The Amex are just for more hotel points and 3x flight card. The US Bank is for points at hotels and trips as well.

The question is will a 3BM be dangerous with Chase or should I stick with a 2BM?

Also, what is the best way to get a US Bank card - in the bank or online???
US Bank is the toughest bank card to get, and with the amount of cards you have, it is tough to say, I usually tell people that the US Card should be one of the first cards to get, because if they see you have mutli CC's they usually do not like that.

When it comes to your other questions it's hard to answer, I just remind people this hobby is a marathon and not a sprint. I usually get the cards for the sign up bonus's, by two go to cards at CSP and SPG..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.