Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2013, 5:39 pm
c2d

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, HHonors, Avis et al.
Massive AoR Massive Success!

Just got off the phone with Chase Business recon line.

Happy to report that I convinced them to re-open the denied Ink Bold and approve it

I did have to explain at length on why I needed 2 business cards. They moved $5k from my CSP and approved it for a $5k CL (even though this is a charge card, there is a soft limit). So, as a data point -- yes it is possible (not easy) to get 1 personal and 2 business cards from Chase on same day, especially if you get a kind, receptive analyst.

Score card:
Approvals: 10/10
Total NEW credit line: $128,500 (not counting Amex gold no-pre-set limit)
Total points: 505,000

Total minimum spend: $17500 in 4 months.
Total 1st year fees (net): $146 (after $150 credit from Citi Amex).
Total hard pulls: Don't know yet; Will update this in a few days.

Thanks again everyone.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 5:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
That's a lot of money to spend in 4 months.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 5:48 pm
c2d

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, HHonors, Avis et al.
Originally Posted by PainCorp
That's a lot of money to spend in 4 months.
Agreed. I wouldn't have normally been able to manage that much in 4 months. But, I do have a plan for that (otherwise wouldn't have applied in the first place). I have to pay ~$10k in taxes in April (still have to figure this one out), one international trip coming up next month, a bunch of medical bills to be paid, and finally one big family summer vacation too. That is why I decided to go all in right on my first AoR.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by PainCorp
with CSP you can transfer UR points to SWA at 1:1. You can also do a transfer between Chase accounts, so if you have to Ink Bold -> CSP -> Southwest. Not sure if this would count towards the companion pass though, haven't looked into it too much.
The transfers from CSP don't count towards CP.

Originally Posted by c2d
when does the 3-month timer start? Is it day of application or day of card activation?
I generally assume it starts when I get approved. It's the most conservative. Maybe somebody else can chime in on this though: On some of my cards, charges sit as pending for 2-4 days before posting. Does the "amount spent" include pending charges? Might make a huge difference if you're approaching that deadline.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by c2d
when does the 3-month timer start? Is it day of application or day of card activation?
Congrats on the haul!

I recently opened a Chase SW Business Plus Card and when I asked whether it was application date or activation date, they said application date (or did they say Approve date? Hmmm). In any case, the one thing that took me off guard was that they said "well, it's not actually 3 months, but really 103 days". Since I wasn't planning on going over 90 days, I didn't press further. Anyone else get told this?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by jmdeng
Congrats on the haul!

I recently opened a Chase SW Business Plus Card and when I asked whether it was application date or activation date, they said application date (or did they say Approve date? Hmmm). In any case, the one thing that took me off guard was that they said "well, it's not actually 3 months, but really 103 days". Since I wasn't planning on going over 90 days, I didn't press further. Anyone else get told this?
Yes, now that you mention it. I was activating a card while driving, so i wasn't really listening to what she said, but now that you mention it she did say 103 days.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:25 pm

Programs: hilton gold,hyatt
Originally Posted by jatink129
And when was your brother denied? and was it for the same reason?

Because a lot of people are under the misconception that
"Pre-approved" = "Instant Approval"
It doesn't.

They will STILL pull your credit report and you still have a chance of getting denied.
What's the expiration date on that pre-approved offer? If you have a month or so on there, then wait till the end before applying. Let some time pass between this recent denial and a new application.
finally pulled the trigger and applied on monday via phone and got approved
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:43 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by newbieflyer1
finally pulled the trigger and applied on monday via phone and got approved
Excellent. Congratulations. ^
Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:43 pm

Has anyone been able to churn the Hyatt Cad and get the 2 free nights again ? If so how long after closing your first card did you apply and did you open a new Hyatt Gold Passport account or use the same one as the first time you got the card ?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by c2d
Agreed. I wouldn't have normally been able to manage that much in 4 months. But, I do have a plan for that (otherwise wouldn't have applied in the first place). I have to pay ~$10k in taxes in April (still have to figure this one out), one international trip coming up next month, a bunch of medical bills to be paid, and finally one big family summer vacation too. That is why I decided to go all in right on my first AoR.
Another issue you have is that you're going to want to get the additional $6K spent on the SW cards as soon as possible, though I guess that can wait until after the rest is complete. But you may need the CP for that summer vacation. Props to you though!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:05 pm

Programs: Southwest RR , AA
Simply Wowww!! the best AoR i have seen till date. And 505,000 points from just the signup bonus , and if you count the points from minimum spend it will be close to 550 ,000. All the best meeting the spend .

Score card:
Approvals: 10/10
Total NEW credit line: $128,500 (not counting Amex gold no-pre-set limit)
Total points: 505,000

Total minimum spend: $17500 in 4 months.
Total 1st year fees (net): $146 (after $150 credit from Citi Amex).
Old Feb 22, 2013, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by c2d
Thanks, but that's why I've listed one platinum + 1 gold combo that people have had success with in the past 2 weeks.

Thanks for these useful tips! I am worried about pushing it with Chase too, so I'll save the Ink Bold for last. Anyone else with previous experience doing 3 chase apps?
My first AOR I got the sapphire preferred, southwest personal and ink bold. I think you'll be fine.

EDIT: Yup, looks like you were fine haha. Good job I am definitely going to be following about 6 of your choices my next churn.

Last edited by Mike5889; Feb 22, 2013 at 9:50 am
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:35 am

Ladies and Gentlemen of FT, I have just completed my 1st AoR. Thanks to all the great posts and comments!

Here's my report:

Feb 2013 AOR (ACTUAL) -- 6 cards in 1 day! (didn't want to go crazy with my first AOR):

1. Amex Premier Rewards Gold (50k MR) - spend $1000 in 3 months, annual fee waived first year.

2. Chase SW RR Plus (personal, 50k) - spend $2000 in 3 months, $69 fee. Approved for 25K.
3. Chase SW RR Plus (business, 50k) - spend $2000 in 3 months, $99 fee. Approved after 1 call @ $5000 limit. They moved 5000 from personal card, so now that has 20K limit.

(Spending another 6000 on cards 2 &3 will get companion pass valid till Dec 2014)

4. Citi Select AAdvantage Amex (50k) - spend $3000 in 4 months --> is this correct? From link in million miles, option2. Annual fee waived first year.

5. Citi "Gold" AAdvantage MC (30k) - spend $750 in 4 months

6. Barclay's US Air MC (35k) - After first purchase. Annual fee waived first year.

Score card:
Approvals: 6/6
Total NEW credit line: $65,500 (not counting Amex gold no-pre-set limit)
Total points: 265,000.

Total minimum spend: $8750 in 4 months
Total 1st year fees (net): $18 (after $150 credit from Citi Amex).
-----

I have to admit, this is getting addicting. This AOR was in my wife's name. I am already thinking of doing under my name in 2-3 months after meeting the minimum spend on this one.

Should I push my luck and sign up my wife for couple more cards, or should call it quit for this round.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:39 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
props nice one
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:40 am

Thanks caGALINDO!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.