Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:47 pm

Don't have an exact location in mind as of now but probably will be traveling to Europe and South America. Trying to hold off on going for the Hyatt until I know where I'm going in an attempt to maximize the 2 free nights.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by luckyace
Don't have an exact location in mind as of now but probably will be traveling to Europe and South America. Trying to hold off on going for the Hyatt until I know where I'm going in an attempt to maximize the 2 free nights.
That's my plan as well. I know you wanted hotel points, but are you good on airline points? With the impending AA/US and WN/AirTran mergers, it's really easy to double dip, or even triple dip, in the case of AA for some easy miles.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:55 pm

Yea. I have a family member that works for the airlines so miles are never a problem.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by luckyace
Yea. I have a family member that works for the airlines so miles are never a problem.
Well that works. Do you have the CSP? You can convert that to a bunch of stuff. There's also an offer for 50k MR points on a Amex Premiere Gold. You can transfer those 1:1 to many programs.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:30 am

Generally, my wife just wants me to "handle it" so I use her name when I call. It's not an obviously female name but you'd think that the gender of the card holder would be available to the CSR. Not to mention the "Mrs." in the application (though, nowadays, it's "Dr.").

If she's at home I'll just have her verify her info to the CSR and pass the phone over to me.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by PainCorp
Do the two Citi cards for 80k (50k and 30k) I think the spending is $3,750 in 3-4 months. If you can add a business card that would bring you to 130k, but also increase your spending.
Which 2 Citi cards are you referring to?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 1:54 am
Suspended

The Platinum and the Gold.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 4:26 am

Programs: Work in progress.
So here's what I've kind of decided on, and where it will leave me:

Chase SWA Premiere/Plus (only one, preferably Premiere)
  • 50,000 WN points
  • $2k in 3 months
Chase AirTran
  • 32 A+ Credits (~38,400 WN points)
  • 2 Business upgrades
  • $2k in 3 months
American Express Premiere Gold
  • 50,000 MR points
  • $1k in 3 months
Citi AA Gold
  • 30,000 AA miles
  • $750 in 4 months

Total Haul: ~174,200
Spend: $6,000 in first 3 months, $750 in fourth month.

And here is where it will leave my once everything is transferred into it's final destination, this includes spending:

United: ~100,000 (CSP & MP Explorer)
AA: ~125,000 (Citi AA Plat, US Air, Citi AA Gold, Once merger is complete)
WN: ~92,000 (Premiere and Air Tran, Once merger is complete)
Virgin America: 20,001 (hehe)
Hilton: 270,000 (Citi Hilton Gold, Amex Hilton, Hawaiian, MR*)
Total: ~607,000 miles/points

*Amex MR transfers 1:1 to Hawaiian, which then transfers 1:2 to Hilton, versus a straight 1:1.5 for Amex -> Hilton, netting 100k Hilton points for $1k in spend.
^^ That's a decent AOR... Good Luck!
And as Philemer said, there's no limit to the number of Chase cards you can get. Worst case scenario? You just move credit...that NEVER fails! I currently have 6 Chase cards (was just approved for the CSP)
Old Feb 26, 2013, 4:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jatink129
^^ That's a decent AOR... Good Luck!
And as Philemer said, there's no limit to the number of Chase cards you can get. Worst case scenario? You just move credit...that NEVER fails! I currently have 6 Chase cards (was just approved for the CSP)
Good to know. I have a total CL of a little over 20k with Chase, so 4 cards shouldn't be hard.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by punjabi2
Good to know there are folks who are willing to help newbies ^^
The way I see it, I'm still a newbie And everybody was a newbie once.

And as an old man once said "Help shall always be given to those who ask for it"
Old Feb 26, 2013, 4:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jatink129
The way I see it, I'm still a newbie And everybody was a newbie once.

And as an old man once said "Help shall always be given to those who ask for it"
If only we were at Hogwarts....

I really wish I had looked at the Amex Premiere Gold before, that's an easy 100k Hilton points, in theory. Someone just needs to test it out.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 4:48 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I run into this consistently in a hundred contexts, since I handle almost all the "administrative" stuff in our marriage.

It does seem bizarre that I could just as easily have a female co-worker call, feed her the security information, then say "Now please talk to my husband about this." It sounds like your wife is just as reluctant to deal with this stuff as mine. However, we do go to though the rote of me calling, saying "My wife would like me to handle this, I will put her on the phone so she can give you permission" then handing her the phone for a minute.

Amex allows me to be an "account manager" on her accounts, so we usually don't have an issue with them, although I don't know if that applies to cards we haven't been approved for.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 5:18 am

If only we were at Hogwarts....

I really wish I had looked at the Amex Premiere Gold before, that's an easy 100k Hilton points, in theory. Someone just needs to test it out.
Haha...I was wondering if someone would get the reference.

I really want to get it too...BUT it wasn't available when I did my AOR and now it's too late...After 5 more inquiries on EX (including a Hilton Amex), there's no way I'm going to get this card.
Plus, I already have the Business Platinum so that makes arguing my case even tougher.
What do you think? Any ideas?

And...MR points have gotten very valuable (atleast to me) ever since you can get saver suite redemption via KrisFlyer for 160k. That's what I'm saving towards. Some day.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 5:59 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
same problem with my partner.. she doesnt want to call at all
Old Feb 26, 2013, 6:04 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by punjabi2:20316863
I have done that too, but sometimes wife just doesn't want to talk

Originally Posted by jerry305
Shouldn't be a problem if she introduces herself, answers verification security questions, then hands it off to you.
+1 this is the way it should be done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.