Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2013, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Continental, Emirates, BA, Virgin Atlantic, US Airways
Originally Posted by PainCorp
I used the link there, and they have confirmed the bonus to me.

Where we're going, we don't need roads/landing pages!
Hmmm - ok then I am going to pull the trigger - thanks

You applied and then called the CSR to confirm the bonus and spend req?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 8:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by floyd777
Hmmm - ok then I am going to pull the trigger - thanks

You applied and then called the CSR to confirm the bonus and spend req?
I secure message, so I have it in writing. But you can also confirm when you activate.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 8:41 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Get Alaska Visa card so that you can get 2for1 for you to get there.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:02 pm
AAL

Originally Posted by JakeW
We’ve already got enough Alaska pts. to cover flights, and use companion passes for everyone.
If you are referring to the companion pass through the Bank of America Alaska Airlines Visa, it is only valid on a paid ticket. If you use miles to get a ticket, you can't use a companion pass to get a second ticket.

You might be better off finding a condo through VRBO, which will cut down on meal expenses, than to stay in upscale hotels with pricey restaurants, parking and resort fees, etc. (Then you could use your SPG Amex points for miles for the flights.)

I tried to use hotel points for a Maui trip in November, and finally decided it was actually better to just pay for a condo.

With the Chase Hyatt card, you'll get two separate Hyatt certificates for one night each, so I'd think that you could use them for 2 rooms on the same night, but I'd recommend confirming with Hyatt.

Chase also has a Fairmont card with 2 free nights, but I wasn't able to get the nights that I needed at the Fairmont in Maui in November, so I don't know if you'd have much luck in February -- and it's not in Kaanapali.

Last edited by AAL; Feb 26, 2013 at 11:25 pm
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by geclub1
Get Alaska Visa card so that you can get 2for1 for you to get there.
We've already got the Alaska cards and enough miles to get there. Flights are covered, just looking for a way to make the hotel situation happen.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:05 pm
Suspended

You can add 2x Hilton Reserver for 2 nights in any Hilton, other than that it seems like you know pretty much what you want.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by AAL
If you are referring to the companion pass through the Bank of America Alaska Airlines Visa, it is only valid on a paid ticket. If you use miles to get a ticket, you can't use a companion pass to get a second ticket.
Sorry, yes, I meant that some are going to split cost on a paid/companion pass situation, and we're getting there on miles.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by PainCorp
You can add 2x Hilton Reserver for 2 nights in any Hilton, other than that it seems like you know pretty much what you want.
I looked into the Hilton, but didn't see any properties in Maui in the area I'd like to stay. Otherwise I'd definitely go for it!

The $180 out of pocket per night is a bummer, and I'm wondering if there's a way to accelerate points earning for SPG or even UR to get enough to just stay at the Westin in 3 rooms (336,000 SPG pts. for 7 nights, probably a LOT more for UR)?

Either that, or another location that others might know of in the area that accepts points that I can earn from CC bonuses?

Obviously, I want the Holy Grail of everything on points just using cards, but I know it may not be a possibility. But I could trade off for "least out of pocket" if there are any more tricks I can use here?

Thanks again for the replies!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by AAL

You might be better off finding a condo through VRBO, which will cut down on meal expenses, than to stay in upscale hotels with pricey restaurants, parking and resort fees, etc. (Then you could use your SPG Amex points for miles for the flights.)

I tried to use hotel points for a Maui trip in November, and finally decided it was actually better to just pay for a condo.

With the Chase Hyatt card, you'll get two separate Hyatt certificates for one night each, so I'd think that you could use them for 2 rooms on the same night, but I'd recommend confirming with Hyatt.

Chase also has a Fairmont card with 2 free nights, but I wasn't able to get the nights that I needed at the Fairmont in Maui in November, so I don't know if you'd have much luck in February -- and it's not in Kaanapali.
Sweet! Thanks for the heads up. VBRO is the other option I'm competing with. My mother-in-law has been living on that site, and has found some awesome deals, I was just seeing if I could make it happen for cheaper using points. But you're right, everything is going to be more expensive on a resort, and once you include the $180 per night, resort fees, gratuity, etc, might just be worth it to use VBRO and save the points for flights/car rental.

Honestly, if even one more person could churn, it would make the process MUCH simpler. But alas, 'tis not our lot.

I'm still open for suggestions, but will continue to price compare with VBRO. Thanks AAL!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:47 pm
Suspended

I looked into the Hilton, but didn't see any properties in Maui in the area I'd like to stay. Otherwise I'd definitely go for it!

The $180 out of pocket per night is a bummer, and I'm wondering if there's a way to accelerate points earning for SPG or even UR to get enough to just stay at the Westin in 3 rooms (336,000 SPG pts. for 7 nights, probably a LOT more for UR)?

Either that, or another location that others might know of in the area that accepts points that I can earn from CC bonuses?

Obviously, I want the Holy Grail of everything on points just using cards, but I know it may not be a possibility. But I could trade off for "least out of pocket" if there are any more tricks I can use here?

Thanks again for the replies!
A current approximate tally of how many points you have that you can use for hotels would help, and how much you would prefer to spend per night out of pocket.

Honestly, if even one more person could churn, it would make the process MUCH simpler. But alas, 'tis not our lot.

I'm still open for suggestions, but will continue to price compare with VBRO. Thanks AAL!
Take a look at the manufactured spending forum under Miles Buzz! It might help you get some additional spending.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:05 am

Sure thing!

Alaska Miles - 68,288 (soon to be 93,288 with our next churn)

CSP - 43,299

SPG - 13,619 (soon to be 30,000 in March)

I'd like to spend $100 a night at most for hotel, and nothing out of pocket for car rental. The flights will be through Alaska, and we'd arrange using a companion pass with a full ticket price split between those who can't churn, and the other flights would be on points.

I don't know the exact number, but my mom has enough Alaska pts. to cover her flight, and possibly one more. We'll use our Alaska pts. for our (2) flight tickets.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:31 am
Suspended

I know you said you're good on airline points, but let me throw something random out there.

It's Mrs. JakeW's 50th, right? Splurge, get first class tickets! Get the AA, UA, or HA cards, you can get more than enough for a one way ticket in first if you get a card from each airlines (2 from HA). A first class flight on UA to OGG from LAX is 40k points (37.5k on AA and 40k on HA) if you can get a saver ticket, which shouldn't be hard.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:35 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Sure thing!

Alaska Miles - 68,288 (soon to be 93,288 with our next churn)

CSP - 43,299

SPG - 13,619 (soon to be 30,000 in March)

I'd like to spend $100 a night at most for hotel, and nothing out of pocket for car rental. The flights will be through Alaska, and we'd arrange using a companion pass with a full ticket price split between those who can't churn, and the other flights would be on points.

I don't know the exact number, but my mom has enough Alaska pts. to cover her flight, and possibly one more. We'll use our Alaska pts. for our (2) flight tickets.
Have you thought about staying in a timeshare? There are inexpensive ones on Maui offerings through Tugs/Redweek and an offer of take tour and get a great price on a unit (Marriott )
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:38 am

Credit Card Churn Challenge: Maui for 6 adults. Best ideas?

We stayed at the Honua Kai resort near Kaanapali for 5 nights using AA miles for hotel. I don't remember the exact amount of miles, but it was very reasonable (they fluctuate). We were given a huge 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, full kitchen, balcony, etc. It was new and gorgeous! The pool is amazing, great restaurant onsite, right on beach. We saved money on food too (they also have grills by the pool/beach).

We have also used AA miles for cars at times when out of pocket $ was tight.

I will stay at HK again when we are there for sure. Also stayed at Fairmont using 2 free night certs, so that could be an option as well. It gives you a good sampling of 2 very different Maui beaches.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 6:14 am

Also, I forgot to mention that there is a weird glitch with the AAdvantage site when booking hotels (I have noticed this in past years, and it seems to be the case now when I just checked). I put in 4 nights in Feb 2014 and it came back with close to 50K per night. Then I signed in to my account, clicked through to the actual room/booking and it went down to 118,000 total for all of the nights.

I remember that happened before (we have used AA several times to book hotels when the deals were right).

Originally Posted by jandmmom
We stayed at the Honua Kai resort near Kaanapali for 5 nights using AA miles for hotel. I don't remember the exact amount of miles, but it was very reasonable (they fluctuate). We were given a huge 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, full kitchen, balcony, etc. It was new and gorgeous! The pool is amazing, great restaurant onsite, right on beach. We saved money on food too (they also have grills by the pool/beach).

We have also used AA miles for cars at times when out of pocket $ was tight.

I will stay at HK again when we are there for sure. Also stayed at Fairmont using 2 free night certs, so that could be an option as well. It gives you a good sampling of 2 very different Maui beaches.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.