Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

BEWARE- CO Crew caught on video falsely accusing ELITE of Federal Crime

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BEWARE- CO Crew caught on video falsely accusing ELITE of Federal Crime

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2007, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP-1MM, SPG Gld, HH Silver, Skymiles, Marriott Silver, Hyatt GP Plat , CO Peon, Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
is ambien's effect truly this bad? is it any worse than that from tylenol pm or other OTCs that just make you drowsy?

cheers.
I used to take it until there were two occastions within a week of each other where one I woke up in a different set of pajamas than I went to bed in and another I awoke in my car in my garage. So yes it does truly does effect some people in a bad way.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

not to beat a dead horse but

i made sure to get everyone on tape (or disc The main guy is caught red-handed (on disc
Old Jan 3, 2007, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by Million(s) Miler
let alone lurk. I don't enjoy these types of things because so many people are just mean and want to pick an on-line fight.
I don't believe anyone is being mean and no one is trying to pick a fight. Like you, many of use fly hundreds of thousands of miles each year. Your experience is so far beyond what I have gone through on either Continental or American, that skepticism is a natural reaction.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 7:45 pm

The story is plausible, the crew is human and might mistaken your behavior for something more than it was, but they aren't here to write their side of the story and so we have to take yours at face value.

There are protocols in place for these situations and I'm not at liberty to disclose them; due to possible security concerns. What you have described isn't consistent with our standard operating procedures. Consequently, until you are willing to post the recorded incident, I am thinking there is much more than you are remembering or telling.

When you decide to go "public" with more details (i.e. "YouTube")...I'd be less likely to side with the "crew". While it is noble to let CO have first crack, it is highly suspect. Why even post here? Why not wait until CO has been given the opportunity to respond? What were you hoping to read from the "regulars"?

FWIW, many of my colleagues also take the drug you are describing and the side effects are unacceptable to me (most don't recall the behaviors they exhibit and those that do are often inaccurate in their recall). I know of one crew member who took the ambien while commuting home and exhibited behaviors so erratic, the company suspend their "flight" benefits.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 8:12 pm

Programs: *
One issue highighted by this case (regardless of the various views held regarding its veracity, accuracy or otherwise) is the finality of the crews in making decsions on 'threats' to the airplane. In the post 9/11 era the crew have assumed absolute power over the consumer when in the aeroplane with the consumer having absolutely no access to (non-crew) adjudication and unfortunately, as with any other type of power, absolute power corrupts and some misuse it.

Often when incidents like this start, there is no going back (by the crew) as to go back is an admission by the crew that they got it wrong. I have witnesed a few such occasions where a trivial 'misunderstanding' between an FA and pax mushrooms into acusations that the pax is threat to the aircraft and will be deplaned if he/she does not do whatever the crew insists (I have seen 2 such deplanings where the pax insisted they were right and maintained the FA had behaved inapropriately).

While we need security in the air, there must be rigid guidelines for staff on how to implement security protocols and severe disciplinary measures for staff found to abuse this power. Regardless of the circumstances in this case, it is unlikely that the OP would be flying a CO plane the next dy if he truly attempted to gain access to the cockpit - regadless of the influence of ambien.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
1. I still don't get it. The tape records what happened after they asked you to leave the plane. But clearly there was some reason they asked you to leave in the first place. I'm not saying you did anything wrong, but they must have thought something - rather than coming up with something out of the clear blue. For our benefit, can you think of anything that might have triggered this - and going potty isn't the reason, on Ambien or not?

2. My wife occasionally take Ambien at home. No odd behavior, but the few times I've taken it (and then only 5mg), I've found the effect too long lasting - even after getting up in the morning. BTW, what dose did you take? I've been using 10mg of Sonata for the occasional night I have trouble getting to sleep, when waking in the middle of the night and not being able to get back to sleep, and for red-eye flights. It is only active about 4 hours so you can take it later or not knocked out after only sleeping 4 hours on a flight.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 8:20 pm

Programs: CO Platt,Hilton Dmnd,Marriott Platt,Hertz Presidents Circle,Avis Preferred Select
And to think, I was going to start a thread concerning the average number of peanuts in a CO snack bag versus a WN snack bag. (I actually had someone in line tell me the stats once, based on a monthly session between he and his frequent flyer friends once a month. I told him about Flyertalk and that they were certifiable enough to join this website).

Last edited by Facevalue; Jan 3, 2007 at 8:25 pm
Old Jan 3, 2007, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by hughw
1. I still don't get it. The tape records what happened after they asked you to leave the plane. But clearly there was some reason they asked you to leave in the first place. I'm not saying you did anything wrong, but they must have thought something - rather than coming up with something out of the clear blue. For our benefit, can you think of anything that might have triggered this - and going potty isn't the reason, on Ambien or not?

2. My wife occasionally take Ambien at home. No odd behavior, but the few times I've taken it (and then only 5mg), I've found the effect too long lasting - even after getting up in the morning. BTW, what dose did you take? I've been using 10mg of Sonata for the occasional night I have trouble getting to sleep, when waking in the middle of the night and not being able to get back to sleep, and for red-eye flights. It is only active about 4 hours so you can take it later or not knocked out after only sleeping 4 hours on a flight.
Is it possible the effects are lacking in the "home" setting due to it being ....home? When you combine the stress of everyday living, traveling and altitude (which influences people consuming alcohol on-board).

Just wondering....also know that side effects don't happen to everyone.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 8:22 pm
Suspended

When do we get to see the video???
Old Jan 3, 2007, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA/DL plat to AA
I did hear the airlines pay people to stay on these sites and defend their airline.
Kinda paranoid...
Old Jan 3, 2007, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Out of couriosity, why are all you on this site? I thought these forums were to vent. I did hear the airlines pay people to stay on these sites and defend their airline.
Welcome to Flyertalk.

As to the quote above, you are sadly misinformed - Flyertalk is not all about venting about airline employee-caused injustices; it is primarily about points and miles. Loyalty programs, like NonePass, err, OnePass.

While I'm not certain, many companies have inspired websites along the lines of www.untied.com that are really designed for customer venting. Perhaps www.continentalsucks.com is what you're thinking of.

I'm confused about how the video exonerates completely exonerates you and brands the employees liars.

Maybe I'll be able to figure it out once you post the video. Sorry to hear about your troubling experiences.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by million(s) miler
never claimed to even have known about this site
let alone lurk. I don't enjoy these types of things because so many people are just mean and want to pick an on-line fight.
Just a wild guess here... Did the folks at fodors.com tell you to come to FT to post this story? That it was THE place to rant? [

It really is about points & miles - not complaints.

BTW - I nominate this for the thread of the day
Old Jan 3, 2007, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ani90
One issue highighted by this case (regardless of the various views held regarding its veracity, accuracy or otherwise) is the finality of the crews in making decsions on 'threats' to the airplane. In the post 9/11 era the crew have assumed absolute power over the consumer when in the aeroplane with the consumer having absolutely no access to (non-crew) adjudication and unfortunately, as with any other type of power, absolute power corrupts and some misuse it.
It's my understanding that the captain has always had the authority to decide who or what goes onto his or her plane. Maybe they're exercising that authority more frequently, but I believe they've always had it.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FWAAA
While I'm not certain, many companies have inspired websites along the lines of www.untied.com that are really designed for customer venting. Perhaps www.continentalsucks.com is what you're thinking of.
FWIW, that continentalsucks domain is owned by Continental--at least it's registered to Continental Airlines, Inc. I was searching for domain names and found this defensive play by CO.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 9:24 pm

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
Yep. It will knock you out quickly and generally keep you in a very sleepy state for six or seven hours. Which is why it is a godsend on lengthy redeye flights. ^
For me it's benadryl...two of those and you could roll a grenade down the aisle and I wouldn't wake up. One flight I had injured my back and was bedridden for the last two days of m business trip. I was on oxycodone and that wore off quickly so I supplemented it with hard loquir to get to sleep. Once on teh plane I doped myself up to the limits of what I thought was safe and told the FA that I was in excruciating back pain, had taken some way-powerful painkillers and that I would likely be unresponsive when we landed. The purser was brought over who made sure I was OK to travel and then said they would keep an eye on me. Apparently I was making some odd noises during my sleep and because I had let them know ahead of time they explained to nearby pax who were somewhat concerned and everything turned out fine. Found out about it from the guy across the aisle who told me I was the IFE that trip.

Bottom line, TELL the FAs you are going to take one of these...just in case you wake up in a purple haze and say or do something stupid. They will appreciate the honesty and you will appreciate their willingness to help ESPECIALLY on CO.

Continental. This is MY airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.