Reload this Page >

Who we all are

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who we all are

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2012, 1:20 pm

I am a compliance officer that travels to Europe and other international destinations. I live near Dallas Tx and mostly travel by AA. I have 8 international flights this year and will probably have as many or more next year. My job is to make sure that our manufacturing meets or exceeds federal, state, and local regulations. I am constantly reading regulations and spreading the word on change as it happens. Great Job. Love to travel too.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 1:34 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by uswardj
I am a compliance officer that travels to Europe and other international destinations. I live near Dallas Tx and mostly travel by AA. I have 8 international flights this year and will probably have as many or more next year. My job is to make sure that our manufacturing meets or exceeds federal, state, and local regulations. I am constantly reading regulations and spreading the word on change as it happens. Great Job. Love to travel too.
Welcome aboard! :-) Those eVIPs for int'l flights at any fare class are great, aren't they? That was the main thing that got me to jump from being a UA 1K over to AA executive platinum.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jbhuh
Hoping to get to a few new places as a family esp. the Caribbean somewhere, Italy & the Olympics in Rio!
Getting to Rio will be the least of your worries. Accommodation (think double Carnaval & Reveillon prices) will be your biggest cost although we'll have a better idea after the World Cup in 2014
Old Nov 22, 2012, 9:33 pm

My 1st Post. Up we go. Wish me luck--I will certainly need it. Seeking info for an upcoming trip. Hope I find the right section to post in. This is a big forum!
Old Nov 23, 2012, 8:42 am

Programs: AC KL AF
Intro

I am bowled over by the travel experiences of members of this forum and know I will spend many happy hours catching up on them. I have been flying since 1965 (LPL-ORK on a Cambrian Viscount as an Unaccompanied Minor) on a wide variety of airlines and aircraft in much of the world. While my experience certainly includes some luxurious trips up front (or at the back in the propeller era) and I get just as much of a kick out of rougher flying experiences - LPL to AMS in a Dan Air Ambassador is one of my fondest memories, or from YWG to MSP in a DC-3.
I think that flying coach today is a much more mundane experience than it used to be, aircraft are much more generic. I was fortunate to fly in almost every type of aircraft from the early jet and turboprop era including Comets, Caravelles, 707s and DC-8s. I never tire of flying, and I make the most of any opportunity, and if this means having a total strangers only centimeters away from me so be it. Unfortunately my work does not allow me to travel as much as I would like, and I don't gather enough points to fly in the style that I would like very often. Flying seemed to be easier in the days when the public were less aware and amazing deals have always been available. I also recall when dressing well and being pleasant to airport staff often resulted in an upgrade.
I love any travel and travel by ship and unusual trains also appeals tremendously. As for hotels I am much pickier these days, and while I would 'slum' it on almost any airline or aircraft I won't do the same with hotels.
I feel that many members of this forum are kindred spirits. I will never get blase about flying, and certainly not luxury travel. The postings that appeal most are those by forum members who are truly delighted by any experience and admit when they are bowled over by the amazing facilities that are available at the higher end of today's market, and realize that such travel is a privilege, but who will equally enjoy travelling Y.
I live in the country close to Ottawa, Canada and work for the government - retirement is getting closer and after an extended absence for health reasons realize I am not ready for that yet. Travel is my life and if I could would do it on an continuous basis. However that is not feasible so I enjoy my home and its beautiful surroundings with my partner (also an avid traveller and aviation buff) and two dogs.
Within a couple of years I am hoping that a RTW in at least J Class will become a reality for us and I am sure that membership of this forum will assist in that goal. While I am sure most of you are streets ahead with regard to what's available today, I have great recollection and many tales of how it used to be and I hope to share some of that knowledge with those that appreciate such things.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:13 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
First post. I post a lot on Australian Frequent Flyer and decided I would join FT since I have a US trip coming up and wanted to share and use the collective expertise here.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: United Premier Gold 1 MM
Hi! I have mostly been a lurker on Flyertalk and I decided to be more active lately. I was born in the Philippines. I grew up and currently live in Chicago, IL. I work in a nonprofit coalition helping immigrants and refugees integrate to US mainstream society. I also teach part-time at Loyola University of Chicago Graduate School of Social Work. I recently fly to the Philippines and Asia regularly for my international philanthropy projects there. I enjoy reading all the posts at Flyertalk and at times I had taken advantage of the mileage runs posted. I hope I could contribute to the Flyertalk community.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 8:55 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, DL Gold, SWA A-List Preferred
Formally joined flyertalk today 11/16/12

i just formally joined this community, I have been a lurker without logging in for a while. I have benefited a lot from the discussions and tips, I thought I should step up and contribute. Thanks for all the opinions here.

Joe
Old Nov 26, 2012, 8:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Congrats & Welcome!!

Cheers.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:51 pm

Welcome to the community
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:37 pm

Programs: Too many

Welcome! It's a wealth of information!
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:22 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum
Welcome to FT!
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:27 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Welcome. Now just post away
Old Nov 27, 2012, 5:11 am

Congrats and welcome aboard.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, National Exec, WN A/CP
Just realized that I have been a member here for over 10 years and don't visit as often as I should. I'm looking to change that now along with a few other positives in my life!

I'm a lurker living in TPA and having grown up all over the world. I went to 15 schools before graduating from high school including some time in London, Saudi Arabia (Yanbu) and Nicosia Cyprus (boarding school).

I travel a little for work but always within Florida as I work for a firm with only state wide locations. It helps to satisfy my craving to travel and gets me home to my own bed at night. I supplement that with frequent weekend trips with the family as we all love to stay in hotels. Two words, "Towel Service".

Mrs. Jonnychoc works in relocation and has an IATA card so we get to take advantage of Travel Agents rates as often as we can. It has spoiled our son already but worth it in my eyes!

Looking forward to the Secret Santa this year and getting to know everyone a little better! I've already received so much help and guidance that I'm looking to repay and pay forward what I can as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.