Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who we all are

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2013, 3:23 pm

Hey guys,

Nice to meet you all :-)
Just signed up tho I've been visiting this forum many times before and used it for so many things... And for so many decisions about hotels, flights and credit cards!

This is probably my time to join in and give some of my experience and knowledge as well...

Hope it'll be a great journey!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:18 pm

Hello my name is Shannon and I'm excited about being on this site.I have miles on Delta, United and American that I have never used. My goal is to visit the eight states and three continents I haven't visited in the next 2 years plus have fun playing the miles game.

Last edited by Jenbel; Jan 21, 2013 at 10:36 pm
Old Jan 22, 2013, 5:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
Originally Posted by bri9man
Hi Folks:

New gig with 75 percent travel and I need to relocate in the next 9 months to a hub that is between the Rockies and the Mississippi.

Any advice? Where is a good place to live?
DEN would be my choice
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:08 am

Hello all,

Been reading these forums for a while as they are supremely helpful, and now decided to post. I am in my mid twenties and have already done a lot of traveling in my day. Now, however, I am about to start a job that will have me traveling to a different major us city every month for around 20 days at a time. I have been searching for threads discussing the best ideas for extended business travel to no avail.

So since my company is going to be reimbursing me for these extensive stays I may as well rack up hotel rewards points. My question would be what are some good ideas for how to go about this? Pick one and stick with it? Mix it up so I will be a high level member at different chains? My apologies if this isn't the correct place to ask, and if not just point me in the right direction and I'll be on my way.

Thanks!
BIH
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:38 am

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
That is a valid question:

My advise is to find the chain you like best, and achieve its top level (often 50 or 75 nights). In fact, most will let you do it via a "challenge". For example stay 15 days within a 45 day period and they will give you Platinum.

I would sign up for one for each of the next few months:

Marriott
Hilton
Starwood

Once you are premier in each of them. Compare what you get out of each.

Once you know what you like, pick one for the next year as your primary and make sure you achieve the needed nights. Then either stick with it, or maximize your next choice.

I myself stick with a single one and maximize the nights and points. Will help down the road for Lifetime status. Other have different strategies.

Originally Posted by bearsinheat
Hello all,

Been reading these forums for a while as they are supremely helpful, and now decided to post. I am in my mid twenties and have already done a lot of traveling in my day. Now, however, I am about to start a job that will have me traveling to a different major us city every month for around 20 days at a time. I have been searching for threads discussing the best ideas for extended business travel to no avail.

So since my company is going to be reimbursing me for these extensive stays I may as well rack up hotel rewards points. My question would be what are some good ideas for how to go about this? Pick one and stick with it? Mix it up so I will be a high level member at different chains? My apologies if this isn't the correct place to ask, and if not just point me in the right direction and I'll be on my way.

Thanks!
BIH
Old Jan 25, 2013, 6:24 am

Programs: www.jeffsetter.com
Talking Hello World!

Long time reader, first time poster. Thought I would just throw a bit about me out there to anyone who wants to listen.

I am a thirty something small business owner (Internet Marketing) who has been studying the points game extensively since early 2011. Before then, I was foolish with my points and willy nilly with finding value. A lot has changed through reading Gary, Lucky, Points Guy, Frequent Miler and Darius (among other greats).

I started my own blog after getting back from my honeymoon late 2012. My focus is on both my experiences and commentary on programs coming out/changes. My goal isn't to break news, but rather to share news that is important to me and my readers.

Biggest problem right now is that I don't have a lot of readers. I know that takes time, so hopefully participating in these forums will help me get some good contacts. I also hope to start attending seminars to meet people IRL.

One of the unique things that I can bring to the table in my blog will be my point of view. I am an Internet Marketer/web programmer by trade, so I will often have opinions from the perspective of the business doing the promotion than others might.
Nice to meet you all!

Jeff

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Jan 25, 2013 at 12:48 pm
Old Jan 26, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Hi all. I stumbled across this forum when looking for advise on gaining BA Tier Points but seems like a lively place. Slightly disturbed to see you organising a meet at a bar here in Jersey where I occasionally DJ in the evenings! :-)

My wife and I recently discovered the joys of the LGW lounge so have made a point of getting some good priced Business Class flights - such as JER-LGW-PSA-LGW-JER for just under £600 between us. Very happy with that and hope the sale returns soon.

I'm currently on the look out for 80TPs at decent value to get my BA Silver card. Yes it could just be LGW and back but would prefer something more fun!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Jeffsetter
Long time reader, first time poster. Thought I would just throw a bit about me out there to anyone who wants to listen.

I am a thirty something small business owner (Internet Marketing) who has been studying the points game extensively since early 2011. Before then, I was foolish with my points and willy nilly with finding value. A lot has changed through reading Gary, Lucky, Points Guy, Frequent Miler and Darius (among other greats).

I started my own blog after getting back from my honeymoon late 2012. My focus is on both my experiences and commentary on programs coming out/changes. My goal isn't to break news, but rather to share news that is important to me and my readers.

Biggest problem right now is that I don't have a lot of readers. I know that takes time, so hopefully participating in these forums will help me get some good contacts. I also hope to start attending seminars to meet people IRL.

One of the unique things that I can bring to the table in my blog will be my point of view. I am an Internet Marketer/web programmer by trade, so I will often have opinions from the perspective of the business doing the promotion than others might.
Nice to meet you all!

Jeff
Welcome and nice handle ahaha!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:28 am

Is there a forum for travel planners?

I work for a non-profit organization where travel planning is tacked on as one of my additional duties (my main job is to manage and coordinate projects). We have a relatively small group of people who travel (probably about 25 who travel 3 or 4 times a year, and a rotating group of maybe 30 - 40 who travel once a year. Almost all of them are going to conferences, so I need to register them, book their flights, and book them at the host hotels.

This is my first job in which I have to do travel planning and I've been totally winging it this whole time. When I started, the person who had been doing it previously was allowed to use a travel agency, but in an attempt to cut down on expenses, I was told we were no longer allowed to use them. I find that it can be extremely time consuming and frustrating to make these arrangements, particularly because during heavy travel season, it really takes away from time I have to do my regular duties.

I would love to talk to others who are in this type of situation where we can share tips/ideas/ways to make things more efficient. I found one forum posting where there was a discussion about creating a travel planners forum but if one was created, I haven't found it (yet). From looking around, it seems like there's a lot to take in so I think it will be educational either way.

Thanks!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 5:01 pm

Programs: Somewhere in my wallet
Hi everyone, great forum here. I was a habitual poster on Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree, until they virtually bulldozed the place over the holidays. I'm an itinerant contract attorney in my late 30s. Began travel as a shoestring backpacker almost twenty years ago, now have graduated to more of a flashpacker traveler.

I once spent 36 hours in Paris - de Gaulle, aka the ninth circle of hell.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Teamstone
That is a valid question:

My advise is to find the chain you like best, and achieve its top level (often 50 or 75 nights). In fact, most will let you do it via a "challenge". For example stay 15 days within a 45 day period and they will give you Platinum.

I would sign up for one for each of the next few months:

Marriott
Hilton
Starwood

Once you are premier in each of them. Compare what you get out of each.

Once you know what you like, pick one for the next year as your primary and make sure you achieve the needed nights. Then either stick with it, or maximize your next choice.

I myself stick with a single one and maximize the nights and points. Will help down the road for Lifetime status. Other have different strategies.

Very good advice. I would also recommend getting at least 1 or 2 credit cards that will help build points. I have a Marriott Visa, Chase Sapphire Pref, Amex Platinum, (as well as some others) that help me build as many points as I can when I travel.

Pat
Old Jan 29, 2013, 1:27 am

Programs: Recovered UA 1k, IHG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Alaska gold75
Hi. I am a frequent lurker trying to turn over a new leaf and join in a little more.

I quit my secure but painful Denver job to hit the road and work freelance in healthcare around the western states. Since I started travelling last June I went platinum with two hotel chains and an airline.

I make a lot of short regional hops on those fun crj's and embraers and spend a lot of time hanging out at the RCC in Denver. Always looking for someone to hang out with. Happy to sponsor a guest or two.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 8:05 am

Programs: BAEC, IHG Plat Amb, Le Club Accor Plat.
Hello All. Finally joined having lurked for about a week. Already gaining so much valuable information.

Steve
Old Jan 29, 2013, 4:57 pm

I'm 24 living in nj with my wife. love travelling while living on a student budget. I do odd jobs on the side to bring in a couple of extra bucks.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 1:49 pm

hi all,
i'm a 50-yr old hospital director in Plano, TX.; married, 1 daughter, 2 dogs; enjoy reading the blog and forum this site brings. i've learned a lot just by reading posts.
i started collecting miles in 2012 and have enough to book business class for 2 from round trip DFW-MNL for a June trip - yahoo!
having fun as i go along. cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.