Who we all are

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who we all are

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2012, 3:29 pm

Tanzania Visa

Hello, I am new to Flyertalk and love the site. I am traveling to TZ in the end of January 2013 for a month of medical aid work. I then want to travel for fun to South Africa (leave from SA to come home to San Francisco). I cannot get ahold of the TZ embassy and need to know if I will be able to get a volunteer visa at TZ airport even if I will only have a one way ticket?!
Thanks!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 9:30 pm

Programs: QF Plat OWE / VA Plat
Hi all,

I've been a reader for the last 24 months or so—and have learned so much from this community—but thought it was time I started interacting.

Not sure how active I can be over the next few years, as to fess up I'm just moving to undergrad studies after high school, starting my LLB in 2013 here in Sydney.

However, I have been pretty lucky through my childhood to do a lot of flying—plenty of miles having one parent living in the UK for a couple of years—as well as a stack of travel between Australia, Europe, the US and Asia. I picked up early on a love of aviation so I'm glad to have found a group who share my love of flying.

I look forward to taking on a more active role.

Tom
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by alcasey
Hello, I am new to Flyertalk and love the site. I am traveling to TZ in the end of January 2013 for a month of medical aid work. I then want to travel for fun to South Africa (leave from SA to come home to San Francisco). I cannot get ahold of the TZ embassy and need to know if I will be able to get a volunteer visa at TZ airport even if I will only have a one way ticket?!
You should ask this in our Africa forum, but yes you can purchase a visa on arrival at Dar, assuming you are traveling on a US passport.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:26 am

Intro: Main emphasis on effects of Sandy in Canada

Hi! I'm Ms. Girrish and I'm from India. This is my 1st post to FlyerTalk. As of now, my main intention is to discuss ab't the impact of Sandy in Canada, as I have my Dear ones there....
Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:15 am

Boomer, not over the hill, just a good view. Still grafting at 66 (Equitable Life) still missing the ID 90s when youngest was BA cabin crew, happy days.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:05 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Welcome !

Originally Posted by dciandy
.. who told me employees were hopeful they found a real CEO (to quote said pilot, "The last 10 guys were all finance guys, but this guy is an airline guy.")
Lord knows the current UA/CO CEO is not an airline guy.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 9:01 pm

skyrider1877

Hello!! I'm new to Flyertalk and hoping to learn things and hopefully contribute. I love to travel, read, scrapbooking and jigsaw puzzles. I am retired and for the most part have no schedule.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 4:45 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver, IHG - Platinum
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker but having spent so long learning I figured it's time to start contributing and put a little back. I live about 15 miles from London Gatwick which is very handy as I travel a lot with business but nearly entirely on Uk Domestic routes choosing BA whenever possible. In addition to my travel I also spend a lot time in IHG hotels and have made the heady heights of the Platinum tier.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 8:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by skyrider1877
Hello!! I'm new to Flyertalk and hoping to learn things and hopefully contribute. I love to travel, read, scrapbooking and jigsaw puzzles. I am retired and for the most part have no schedule.
Welcome, skyrider1877! Hope to see more of you around the forums!
Old Nov 4, 2012, 8:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by dunnster
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker but having spent so long learning I figured it's time to start contributing and put a little back. I live about 15 miles from London Gatwick which is very handy as I travel a lot with business but nearly entirely on Uk Domestic routes choosing BA whenever possible. In addition to my travel I also spend a lot time in IHG hotels and have made the heady heights of the Platinum tier.

Welcome to FT, dunnster!

Look forward to your future contributions!
Old Nov 4, 2012, 9:54 pm

Hello dunnster,

Welcome to FT......hope you enjoy your stay!!
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: Delta, United, American, Norwegian, Southwest, Frontier, Bonvoy
Introducing myself: Maybe not a typical member

Hi, I’m Linda, a 66-year-old retired computer programmer and semi-professional actress. When I was working I did fly for business but not too often, average 2-3 times a year (hence the screen name). In retirement I fly for pleasure, between 2 and 5 times a year. I belong to all the main domestic reward programs and over the years I’ve managed to score at least a dozen free trips just by being careful never to let miles expire, and using the credit card offers. I’ve never bothered to save enough for non-economy awards, it wasn’t cost-effective for me. And I’ve never even tried for any elite status - I still book travel by cost and connection value and if I get miles that’s just gravy.

However I have had some fairly unique flying experiences in my life:
Traveled what I believe is still the longest route in the world: New York to Johannesburg.
Flown in teeny airplanes in Alaska (the smallest held just 4 people besides the pilot).
In my younger days as an Air Force wife, I rode along on a day-long training flight in a KC-135 tanker - got to sit in the pilot’s seat for about 5 minutes - got to be in the boom pod while it was refueling an SR-71 in the air.

I’ve also traveled to all 7 continents (including the one which has no commercial air service) and all 50 states.

A few years ago I decided to make and maintain a list of all airports I’ve flown into, out of, or through.
I’m up to 89 now and hope to live long enough to hit 100. I will add one new one later this year (Nairobi).

I use FlyerTalk when I need an expert opinion on a travel question, and also dip into it just for entertainment. I enjoy the “war stories” and get some useful advice on subjects I hadn’t even thought about. I do have some “peeves” about FT itself (is there a thread for this?):

People writing their posts almost entirely in jargon, acronyms and airport codes. Seriously, couldn’t you type the name of the place just as quickly as you hit the Caps Lock to use all those initials? I have to think about translating everything just to know what you’re talking about. Even road warriors don’t have ALL the airport codes memorized!

People bragging about their elite status and whining that their status doesn’t get them as much preferential treatment as they would like. And referring to economy class as “steerage”.

Happy flying, everyone!
Old Nov 6, 2012, 7:38 am

Hey there, I am a 35 years old freelance Project Management Consultant specialized in Outsourcing, Carve Outs, Mergers & Acquisitions. I travel most of the time for my customers and T&T projects world wide. My wife was born in Venezuela and we fly regularly to CCS and then by car to Maracay. Have a great day!

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Nov 6, 2012 at 8:17 pm Reason: deleted spam portion of post
Old Nov 9, 2012, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA MP / *A Silver
Smile introducing myself!

Hi everyone!

As a long-time reader, I decided it was at last time to join ft, not least of which because I have a few pressing questions about an upcoming trip with my gf.

Great to be a part of this awesome community of fellow travelers and airplane nuts!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 6:49 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Welcome !!:-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.