Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
SUMMARY OF EVENTS Click links for details

Thursday 2 April
Welcome Drinks 19:00-20:00, Bar Fizz Grand Hyatt Fukuoka followed by Yatai food stalls, craft beer excursion, cherry blossom viewing
Late arrivals can meet at the GH reception at 21:00.

Friday 3 April
Half-day trip to Dazaifu (not organised)
Official Do Dinner - Yanagimachi Ikkokudō Haruyoshi-ten, 19:00-22:00

Saturday 4 April
Day Trip to Nagasaki Depart Hakata 07:54 (Kamome #7, Platform 4), Return Nagasaki 17:20 (Kamome #38) – arrive Hakata 19:14

Sunday-Monday 5-6 April
Post-do trip to Kurokawa Onsen
Lunch, day trip to Kumamoto, etc. for those still in Fukuoka

Planning to attend Welcome Drinks – Thursday, April 2, 7PM~8PM, Bar Fizz, Grand Hyatt Fukuoka
NewbieRunner
greendx
kpcs
kpc+1
Awesom Andy
JY1024 (arriving FUK @ 9:35PM, but will get to GH ASAP)
kirkwoodj (arr FUK 8pm)
lili (arriving FUK @ 9:35PM, GH)
BOB W (arriving FUK @ NH249 at 12:25 PM)
beckoa (arriving FUK @ NH249 at 12:25 PM)
ClaudiSTR (50% chance for 7 pm, but sure after arriving at 8:05pm at FUK)
DENchick
iris30
ParanoiaTX (arriving FUK 18:30 on OZ136)
ParanoiaTX+1 (arriving FUK 18:30 on OZ136)
Moomba
nme7
gvdIAD (arriving FUK @ 20:05 on NH2145)
nomadic.relief (arriving FUK @ 12:25 on NH249)
upup&away(arriving by train,Thursday, April 02 (16:39)
ZFW-ATC
Henwurst
The_Wrath_of_Khan - I'll be there as soon as the 1800 Hawks game is over.
Sykes (going to the Baseball game with The_Wrath_of_Khan, so will arrive at the end)
El_Duderito+1

Planning to trip to Dazaifu
(Unorganized - link up information)
Awesom Andy
restlessinRNO
JY1024
kirkwoodj
BOB W
beckoa
ClaudiSTR
pfbloom
lynnevt
DENchick
lili
iris30
Moomba
Sykes
violist got rained on too much this morning
nomadic.relief
upup&away
ZFW-ATC
nme7
O Sora
Henwurst
The_Wrath_of_Khan
El_Duderito+1

Do Dinner - Friday, April 3, 7:00PM
See post #3 for confirmed attendees.

Planning to join Day Trip to Nagasaki – Saturday, April 4, Depart Hakata 7:54AM
NewbieRunner
greendx
kpc
kpc+1
serfty
Awesom Andy
restlessinRNO
JY1024
kirkwoodj
lili
BOB W
beckoa
ClaudiSTR
DENchick
iris30
Moomba
Sykes (50/50 on going)
gvdIAD
nomadic.relief (assuming I'm capable of waking up early enough!)
upup&away
ZFW-ATC
El_Duderito+1
BigRedBears+1
nme7
O Sora
Henwurst

A summary of the events may be found in post #2.

This event also has a Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/JapanDo2015/ if you are interested in the event and enjoy a bit more social interaction with fellow attendees / organizers, feel free to join in.
Print Wikipost

Japan Do #3 - The FUK Do - April 3-5, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2015, 6:50 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Registered for the dinner, found the Hilton sold out so am
probably taking advantage of the kindness of a friend who
is at the GH.

Looking forward.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by violist
Registered for the dinner, found the Hilton sold out so am
probably taking advantage of the kindness of a friend who
is at the GH.

Looking forward.
Glad you can join on short notice! ^ I keep re-checking Hilton for any rate changes, sold out for weeks!
Old Mar 21, 2015, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I was planning to do a mattress run and have been holding several single night bookings at the HR and the Hilton.

However, looking closely at the event timings, this becomes onerous - want a leisurely weekend rather than rushing around with bags, storing them etc. . So I will be staying at the Hilton Friday through Monday.

As a result I have two one-night bookings at the Hyatt Regency that I can pass to any who will use them.

They are:

Sat. 4th-5th April: Club Twin ¥20,200
Sun. 5th-6th April: Double Room ¥11,500

These both have 48 hour cancellation policies.

If any would like to take these bookings over, please PM me ASAP.

Last edited by serfty; Mar 21, 2015 at 10:11 pm
Old Mar 21, 2015, 9:30 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Where to purchase/exchange a Northern Kyushu Rail Pass

Hakata Station Ticketing counters (Midori no madoguchi or みどりの窓口 - look for the logo)

Counter #1, adjacent to Central Ticket Gate
Business hours - 4:30 - 0:10 (Foreign language services available 8:30 - 21:30)

A pass may also be purchased/exchanged at the JR Kyushu Travel Agency (JR九州旅行博多支店) located diagonally opposite the central ticket office marked on this map. Business hours are 9:30 - 19:00 Monday-Friday, with shorter hours on Saturdays and Sundays.

Remember to take your passport with you.

Purchase/exchange is also possible at TISCO Travel Information Center, 1st Floor Fukuoka Airport International Terminal (Arrival Lobby).

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 22, 2015 at 3:38 am
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:40 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum
Regretfully I am not able to attend this year's Do. For a while I have suspected this would be the case and, while disappointed, I already look forward to next year's event. Have fun everyone!

Last edited by chchkiwi; Mar 22, 2015 at 4:36 am Reason: Clarity
Old Mar 22, 2015, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by chchkiwi
Regretfully I am not able to attend this year's Do. I have suspected this would be the case and, while disappointed, I already look forward to next year's event. Have fun everyone!

Hope to catch up at Oz(kiwi)Fest...
Old Mar 22, 2015, 5:31 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Northern Kyushu Rail Pass FAQ

Do I need a 3-day or 5-day pass?
If you are going to Nagasaki on Saturday, get a 3-day pass even if you don't plan to go on another trip on JR. It will be cheaper to buy a 3-day pass than to pay for the day trip separately. You can also use the pass to go to Kumamoto and back on Thursday, Friday or Sunday if you are still around. Hakata-Kumamoto takes 33-50 minutes depending on the train and costs 4,610 yen each way!

If you are going to Nagasaki and Kurokawa Onsen, a 3-day pass is fine (and a very good value) if you are returning to Fukuoka on Monday or flying out from Kumamoto on Tuesday. If you are travelling Kumamoto-Fukuoka on Tuesday, a 5-day pass is still a good value.

Can I buy or exchange a pass on Thursday but have the pass activated on Saturday?
Yes, you can buy or exchange a pass in advance to be activated later. As soon as you exchange your voucher or buy a pass you can reserve seats.

Are seat reservations needed or can I just take unassigned seats?
For the day trip to Nagasaki seat reservations are optional. For the trip to Kurokawa Onsen seat reservations are mandatory on the train we plan to catch (Yufuin-no-Mori #1). A seat reservation is free if you hold a rail pass.

Should I buy/exchange a pass at the airport or at Hakata Station?
TISCO Travel Information Center at Fukuoka Airport is in the International Terminal which is separate from the Domestic Terminal. Buy/exchange a pass at Hakata Station unless you are arriving on an international flight.

Can I buy a Northern Kyushu Rail Pass and reserve seats for a friend?
No, each person must present him/herself to buy or exchange a rail pass. Seat reservations might be possible if you take all the passes with you but you should probably reserve seats when you purchase or exchange your rail pass anyway. Remember to take your passport with you.

Should I buy a voucher before leaving for Japan or buy a pass once I get there?
Since you will have to exchange a voucher for a pass once you arrive in Kyushu it does not seem to make sense to buy a voucher in advance. However, I followed the ACP Rail link on the JR Kyushu Rail Pass website and was pleasantly surprised it was sightly cheaper to buy a voucher online (thanks to exchange rate fluctuations) than to wait until I'm in Fukuoka. Since I could pay in my local currency I won't have to pay any forex charge to my credit card company.

Can I travel on Shinkansen trains with my Northern Kyushu Rail Pass?
Yes, you can travel on any Kyushu Shinkansen train (Mizuho, Sakura, Tsubame) between Hakata and Kumamoto. The pass cannot be used for the portion between Hakata and Kokura.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 22, 2015 at 9:33 am
Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: UA 2MM
NewbieRunner - Thank you for your excellent Northern Kyushu Rail Pass advice.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:25 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Regretfully I am not able to attend this year's Do. For a while I have suspected this would be the case and, while disappointed, I already look forward to next year's event. Have fun everyone!
I'm sorry to hear you will not be able to attend.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: AA Advantage; Marriot; Hyatt
I have not posted on here in a long time, but I like to come and read things every now and then, especially before a trip. I live in Fukuoka, so I was excited to see this event. I just signed up for the dinner on Friday. I can't make Saturday's events, but I would love to go to the onsen!!
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:49 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

You are in the perfect spot then to give us day by day cherry blossom reports once they start opening? :-).
Old Mar 22, 2015, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by serfty

Hope to catch up at Oz(kiwi)Fest...
Absolutely and looking forward to it. Enjoy you time in Japan.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 5:45 pm

Do Dinner update

We now have 36 people registered and confirmed for the Do Dinner on Friday, 3rd April. When the organizers started planning the dinner we were wondering if we could fill a private room for 24 people! Due to the high demand we have been able to rent the entire restaurant for 3 hours!

We will be served a set multi-course dinner. If you have any dietary restrictions please contact armagebedar by PM before the end of this week so we can make arrangements with the restaurant.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
Very sorry you can't join us. I think of you every time I peel a banana like a monkey!
Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:58 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Absolutely and looking forward to it. Enjoy you time in Japan.
We'll catch up in Paihia

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Purchase/exchange is also possible at TISCO Travel Information Center, 1st Floor Fukuoka Airport International Terminal (Arrival Lobby).
Thanks for confirming that. As we are arriving in Fuk early in the morning (0835 on Thurs), we'll head here first to sort out our train tickets^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.