Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
SUMMARY OF EVENTS Click links for details

Thursday 2 April
Welcome Drinks 19:00-20:00, Bar Fizz Grand Hyatt Fukuoka followed by Yatai food stalls, craft beer excursion, cherry blossom viewing
Late arrivals can meet at the GH reception at 21:00.

Friday 3 April
Half-day trip to Dazaifu (not organised)
Official Do Dinner - Yanagimachi Ikkokudō Haruyoshi-ten, 19:00-22:00

Saturday 4 April
Day Trip to Nagasaki Depart Hakata 07:54 (Kamome #7, Platform 4), Return Nagasaki 17:20 (Kamome #38) – arrive Hakata 19:14

Sunday-Monday 5-6 April
Post-do trip to Kurokawa Onsen
Lunch, day trip to Kumamoto, etc. for those still in Fukuoka

Planning to attend Welcome Drinks – Thursday, April 2, 7PM~8PM, Bar Fizz, Grand Hyatt Fukuoka
NewbieRunner
greendx
kpcs
kpc+1
Awesom Andy
JY1024 (arriving FUK @ 9:35PM, but will get to GH ASAP)
kirkwoodj (arr FUK 8pm)
lili (arriving FUK @ 9:35PM, GH)
BOB W (arriving FUK @ NH249 at 12:25 PM)
beckoa (arriving FUK @ NH249 at 12:25 PM)
ClaudiSTR (50% chance for 7 pm, but sure after arriving at 8:05pm at FUK)
DENchick
iris30
ParanoiaTX (arriving FUK 18:30 on OZ136)
ParanoiaTX+1 (arriving FUK 18:30 on OZ136)
Moomba
nme7
gvdIAD (arriving FUK @ 20:05 on NH2145)
nomadic.relief (arriving FUK @ 12:25 on NH249)
upup&away(arriving by train,Thursday, April 02 (16:39)
ZFW-ATC
Henwurst
The_Wrath_of_Khan - I'll be there as soon as the 1800 Hawks game is over.
Sykes (going to the Baseball game with The_Wrath_of_Khan, so will arrive at the end)
El_Duderito+1

Planning to trip to Dazaifu
(Unorganized - link up information)
Awesom Andy
restlessinRNO
JY1024
kirkwoodj
BOB W
beckoa
ClaudiSTR
pfbloom
lynnevt
DENchick
lili
iris30
Moomba
Sykes
violist got rained on too much this morning
nomadic.relief
upup&away
ZFW-ATC
nme7
O Sora
Henwurst
The_Wrath_of_Khan
El_Duderito+1

Do Dinner - Friday, April 3, 7:00PM
See post #3 for confirmed attendees.

Planning to join Day Trip to Nagasaki – Saturday, April 4, Depart Hakata 7:54AM
NewbieRunner
greendx
kpc
kpc+1
serfty
Awesom Andy
restlessinRNO
JY1024
kirkwoodj
lili
BOB W
beckoa
ClaudiSTR
DENchick
iris30
Moomba
Sykes (50/50 on going)
gvdIAD
nomadic.relief (assuming I'm capable of waking up early enough!)
upup&away
ZFW-ATC
El_Duderito+1
BigRedBears+1
nme7
O Sora
Henwurst

A summary of the events may be found in post #2.

This event also has a Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/JapanDo2015/ if you are interested in the event and enjoy a bit more social interaction with fellow attendees / organizers, feel free to join in.
Print Wikipost

Japan Do #3 - The FUK Do - April 3-5, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2015, 10:09 pm

Programs: QF WP
To be different/difficult, I am going to make a suggestion for Yamagata.

Looks like an interesting area with:
  • Sacred mountains and temples
  • Onsens
  • Ski resort (still open in late March)
  • Volcanic crater

Access is via shinkansen from Tokyo, takes roughly 2¾ hours - the JR East pass would give us 5 (flexible) days of travel around the area and it's also useable for those who want to spend a couple of days in Tokyo as well.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Awesom Andy

• Onsens
  • Volcanic crater

Access is via shinkansen from Tokyo, takes roughly 2¾ hours - the JR East pass would give us 5 (flexible) days of travel around the area and it's also useable for those who want to spend a couple of days in Tokyo as well.
Interesting idea, looks like a great option! ^^
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: LH Sen, UA 1K, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platin Ambassador

• Onsens
  • Volcanic crater

This suggestion is not bad, the area seems to be interesting.

But I'm personally afraid of travelling so close to Fukushima, where the nuclear power plant exploded a few years ago. The region might still be contaminated.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by ClaudiSTR

But I'm personally afraid of travelling so close to Fukushima, where the nuclear power plant exploded a few years ago. The region might still be contaminated.
Then you sat too close to me at the DO. I got quite close to the reactor after it "exploded" just within the 30km limits. I might be contaminated!
Old Apr 11, 2015, 2:17 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Thanks to everyone who attended Japan Do 3 to make it such a great success. ^ Dos aren't Dos without attendees and it was great to see so many familiar and new faces. I'm sure we all agree the Izakaya Dinner was the highlight of the Do which was attended by all 37 participants. It must be a record. @:-) Thank you armagebedar for selecting the venue and for the legendary Do quiz. After we selected the restaurant (which happened to be my favourite among the shortlist of three) I found it was not just somewhere we could arrange an eight-course dinner with all you can drink for three hours but a place local people chose to go for evenings out.

Weather could have been better but several convenience stores did very well selling plastic umbrellas to FTers. Hands up whoever managed to take one home. According to a Japanese website those from Seven-11 are the best.

Numerous photos were posted in real time on Facebook during the Do, but it's a shame those not on Facebook or did not attend the Do cannot see our photos. If you have photos to share please post in this thread or post the link where they can be found. I'll start a collection of links in post #5.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Apr 11, 2015 at 4:53 am Reason: grammar
Old Apr 11, 2015, 4:07 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
My one big regret was not being able to talk with everyone who came for more than a little bit -- but given this was my first Do where I was properly on vacation and not working during the day, I quite enjoyed myself If any of you are ever passing through Tokyo, please do let me know and I would be happy to meet up for dinner or drinks!

As far as the date and location of next year's Do, we will work that out and post a new thread as soon as it's decided. Sapporo, Okinawa, Osaka, Kyoto, and even Yamagata all sound like interesting options!
Old Apr 11, 2015, 4:57 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
You guys need to have some fun also!
Old Apr 13, 2015, 6:22 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.

Looks like an interesting area with:Sacred mountains and temples
Onsens
Ski resort (still open in late March)
Volcanic crater

I'll second Andy's suggestion of the Yamagata area. I've seen pictures of the mountains and they look spectacular! Also looks as if many side trips would be available.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 7:04 pm

Thanks so much to organizers of FUK DO! It was great to meet everyone and unexpectedly run into a FTer from my hometown, whom I randomly met in Ireland.

My 2.40 JPY re: Osaka or Sapporo DO ideas. I spent 2 days in Sapporo and 4 days in Osaka/Kyoto/Nara/Kobe area after Fukuoka/Nagasaki. I've also been to greater Osaka before.

Sapporo DO: I got a feeling there is not much to do in Sapporo unless you either like a) to ski or b) to eat. Sapporo felt very small, but due to it's cold climate it has one of the most developed entertainment districts. Which means tons of amazing food, craft beer (I found Cantillon in 2 different locations, including a liquor store, kid you not!), and bustling punk rock scene.

I was supposed to go skiing in Niseko (2 hours from Sapporo, gets 9-16m of snow each year), but as anyone who was willing to listen would know , I hurt my shoulder and had to re-route. This is how I stumbled upon FUK DO in the first place. Anyway, we can do SKI DO for few days.

There are some hot springs around Sapporo too, but ones I found were not super impressive. It might have been a wrong place (entirely possible).

Food-wise, it was nothing but excellent, but also somewhat pricy comparing to Fukuoka, Nagasaki, Hiroshima, etc.

---

Osaka DO: If people have not been to Kansai region, I would strongly strongly suggest to pick Osaka/Kyoto/Nara/Kobe for next year. Kyoto/Nara has amazing amount of history and old school spirit. There are tons of places to eat in Osaka, not mentioning famous Kobe beef. And there are excellent sake breweries in Kobe and Kyoto.

---
Old Apr 13, 2015, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by ClaudiSTR

ClaudiSTR, it probably will not alloy your fears, but based on my research, area around Sendai/Fukushima is going back to normal. Basically, you need to worry about radioactive Cesium which has long half-life. But even farmers who live in the region are allowed to plant and grow rice (after removing top layer of the soil).

Besides, I've lived half of my life near Chernobyl. Since you sat across the table from me at DO dinner, you probably got all exposure you will ever need
Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I have finally loaded my photos up to my Flickr account.

They are in two albums.

The first is the wash out day in Dazaifu & the DO Dinner

https://www.flickr.com/photos/realmo...7651569251390/

The second is the day trip to Nagasaki.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/realmo...7651540897407/
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:53 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by Moomba
I have finally loaded my photos up to my Flickr account.
Thanks for the excellent photos. I should perhaps add that these photos are featured in the last two installments of Moomba's RTW trip report: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...aa-f-cx-f.html
Old Apr 18, 2015, 1:14 pm

The wife of the owner of Ikkokudō, the venue of the Do Dinner, has a blog and our dinner was indirectly mentioned in her post on 4 April. Here is a rough translation and some photos.

I've learned that the whole of the Annex was booked by a group of 37 guests last night.
The space normally divided into four rooms was turned into one large area for 25 guests by removing the sliding doors.

The chairs by the counter were also removed to create a space behind for 12 guests.

37 guests in all.
They had to be seated in separate areas but everything went without a hitch.

It must have been an unusual event (not to mention the guests!) for her to post such a comment. In another blog post she mentions rice balls (onigiri) wrapped in bamboo-shoot skins as something they used to serve but don't serve very often in recent years.

Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:23 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
Thanks to NewbieRunner and armagebedar for organizing this. Thanks to everybody for great conversations and a great time.
I hope to see you again at the NUE DO!
Old Apr 26, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by Moomba
Those are very nice photographs Moomba. Thank you for posting them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.