Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
SUMMARY OF EVENTS Click links for details

Thursday 2 April
Welcome Drinks 19:00-20:00, Bar Fizz Grand Hyatt Fukuoka followed by Yatai food stalls, craft beer excursion, cherry blossom viewing
Late arrivals can meet at the GH reception at 21:00.

Friday 3 April
Half-day trip to Dazaifu (not organised)
Official Do Dinner - Yanagimachi Ikkokudō Haruyoshi-ten, 19:00-22:00

Saturday 4 April
Day Trip to Nagasaki Depart Hakata 07:54 (Kamome #7, Platform 4), Return Nagasaki 17:20 (Kamome #38) – arrive Hakata 19:14

Sunday-Monday 5-6 April
Post-do trip to Kurokawa Onsen
Lunch, day trip to Kumamoto, etc. for those still in Fukuoka

Planning to attend Welcome Drinks – Thursday, April 2, 7PM~8PM, Bar Fizz, Grand Hyatt Fukuoka
NewbieRunner
greendx
kpcs
kpc+1
Awesom Andy
JY1024 (arriving FUK @ 9:35PM, but will get to GH ASAP)
kirkwoodj (arr FUK 8pm)
lili (arriving FUK @ 9:35PM, GH)
BOB W (arriving FUK @ NH249 at 12:25 PM)
beckoa (arriving FUK @ NH249 at 12:25 PM)
ClaudiSTR (50% chance for 7 pm, but sure after arriving at 8:05pm at FUK)
DENchick
iris30
ParanoiaTX (arriving FUK 18:30 on OZ136)
ParanoiaTX+1 (arriving FUK 18:30 on OZ136)
Moomba
nme7
gvdIAD (arriving FUK @ 20:05 on NH2145)
nomadic.relief (arriving FUK @ 12:25 on NH249)
upup&away(arriving by train,Thursday, April 02 (16:39)
ZFW-ATC
Henwurst
The_Wrath_of_Khan - I'll be there as soon as the 1800 Hawks game is over.
Sykes (going to the Baseball game with The_Wrath_of_Khan, so will arrive at the end)
El_Duderito+1

Planning to trip to Dazaifu
(Unorganized - link up information)
Awesom Andy
restlessinRNO
JY1024
kirkwoodj
BOB W
beckoa
ClaudiSTR
pfbloom
lynnevt
DENchick
lili
iris30
Moomba
Sykes
violist got rained on too much this morning
nomadic.relief
upup&away
ZFW-ATC
nme7
O Sora
Henwurst
The_Wrath_of_Khan
El_Duderito+1

Do Dinner - Friday, April 3, 7:00PM
See post #3 for confirmed attendees.

Planning to join Day Trip to Nagasaki – Saturday, April 4, Depart Hakata 7:54AM
NewbieRunner
greendx
kpc
kpc+1
serfty
Awesom Andy
restlessinRNO
JY1024
kirkwoodj
lili
BOB W
beckoa
ClaudiSTR
DENchick
iris30
Moomba
Sykes (50/50 on going)
gvdIAD
nomadic.relief (assuming I'm capable of waking up early enough!)
upup&away
ZFW-ATC
El_Duderito+1
BigRedBears+1
nme7
O Sora
Henwurst

A summary of the events may be found in post #2.

This event also has a Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/JapanDo2015/ if you are interested in the event and enjoy a bit more social interaction with fellow attendees / organizers, feel free to join in.
Print Wikipost

Japan Do #3 - The FUK Do - April 3-5, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2015, 3:48 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by beckoa
Thanks for the heads up. Was looking at one from JAL that was similar- but required OW to/from Japan and this does not.
JAL's 'Welcome to Japan Fare' does not require OW to/from Japan but is more expensive and you need to fly a minimum of two sectors. ANA's 'Experience Japan Fare' is a very good value but non-refundable.

However ANA offers a 787 on the HND-FUK route!
But it will be the sardine class (3-3-3) in coach.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
ANA's 'Experience Japan Fare' is a very good value but non-refundable.

But it will be the sardine class (3-3-3) in coach.
Neither Beck or myself would ever be considered sardines. If aisle seats were available we would probably be OK. I would rather pay the J fare even for this short flight rather than be sardined in.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 2:38 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by BOB W
Neither Beck or myself would ever be considered sardines. If aisle seats were available we would probably be OK. I would rather pay the J fare even for this short flight rather than be sardined in.
You shouldn't have any difficulty getting aisle seats if you book now. There's no J but F which will set you back 280 USD. The Shinkansen (Nozomi) Green Cars (First Class) will cost a little less and take a little over 5 hours from Tokyo to Hakata.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 8, 2015 at 2:47 pm
Old Mar 8, 2015, 4:21 pm

You shouldn't have any difficulty getting aisle seats if you book now. There's no J but F which will set you back 280 USD. The Shinkansen (Nozomi) Green Cars (First Class) will cost a little less and take a little over 5 hours from Tokyo to Hakata.
280 USD gets me a fight ANC-ADQ on a Q400, so 280 USD is OK by me. So few 787's are flying domestic that it will be a very long time before I am in one unless it is on this trip.

787 F= 2 birds, 1 stone
Old Mar 8, 2015, 4:37 pm

280 USD gets me a fight ANC-ADQ on a Q400, so 280 USD is OK by me. So few 787's are flying domestic that it will be a very long time before I am in one unless it is on this trip.

787 F= 2 birds, 1 stone
On April 2 Premium Class (F) on 78P/789 are available on NH243, NH247, NH249, NH255, NH257, NH263 and NH265 as far as I can see.

Meal service schedule

If possible try and get on a flight marked 'Premium Gozen' for a better meal

than a flight marked 'Premium Sabo' (an 'afternoon tea' flight).

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 8, 2015 at 4:44 pm
Old Mar 8, 2015, 4:41 pm

On April 2 Premium Class (F) on 78P/789 are available on NH243, NH247, NH249, NH255, NH257, NH263 and NH265 as far as I can see.
Thank you for the advice. ^^

I will get with Beck tonight and work out the details. More to follow. Looks like NH249 is the latest morning flight on a 78P. The next one is not until 5 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:45 pm

When I try to book the flight, I am directed to the Japan section of ANA. There they want a local (starting with 0) phone number, which I do not have. Is there a work around?
Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:59 pm

When I try to book the flight, I am directed to the Japan section of ANA. There they want a local (starting with 0) phone number, which I do not have. Is there a work around?
They'll never call you anyway. Just put the phone number of your hotel in Tokyo or your US or cell phone number (or part of it).
Old Mar 8, 2015, 10:36 pm

They'll never call you anyway. Just put the phone number of your hotel in Tokyo or your US or cell phone number (or part of it).
I am coming up with $419. Where is the $289 fare?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:04 am

Go to www.ana.co.jp, search for Haneda-Fukuoka in Premium Class on April 2. I can see Premium Fare at 50,390 yen (417 USD) and Premium Tokuwari at 35,490 yen (294 USD) on NH249. A slightly cheaper Premium Tokuwari on NH265 at 33,890 yen (280 USD) should give you an evening meal.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:57 pm

2015 Japan Do Dinner Registration

The organizers of Japan Do 2015 are happy to announce that registration for the Do Dinner on Friday, April 3 is now open. The cost is $65, which includes a set course served family style and all-you-can-drink alcohol and soft drinks for three hours. This will be the only event during the Do which requires registration and prepayment. Please see the following event page on Eventbrite for more information.

FUK Do 2015 Friday Dinner

VENUE
Yanagimachi Ikkokudō Haruyoshi-ten (柳町一刻堂春吉店)
3-15-30 Haruyoshi, Chūō-ku, Fukuoka-shi (福岡市中央区春吉3-15-30)
Map
How to get there from the Grand Hyatt or Tenjin-minami (Daimaru Department Store)

COST
The ticket will cost US $65 per person including an 8-course dinner, all you can drink for 3 hours and Eventbrite fee.

FOOD
Appetizers (3 varieties)
Assorted sashimi (5 pieces)
Seasonal main dishes (4 varieties to include fried, grilled/broiled, steamed and stewed dishes)
Rice cooked in earthen pot
Soup
Dessert

DRINKS
Draught beer
Bottled beer (Kirin Lager, Asahi Super Dry)
Cocktail (Cassis, Peachtree, Dita)
Umeshu (on the rocks or with soda)
Sake (served hot, cold or served with grilled fish fin)
Chilled sake (Michisakari)
Shōchū (Kurokirishima sweet potato, Hakusui barley)
Liquor (Whiskey, Bourbon)
Wine (red or white by the glass)
Soft drinks (oolong tea, ginger ale, cola, orange/apple/grapefruit/pineapple juice, non-alcoholic drinks)

PAYMENT/REFUND
Refunds will only be provided if at least 24 hours notice is provided to the organizers by email. No shows will forfeit their payment. No payment will be accepted on the day of the event. Only fully prepaid, registered participants will be allowed entry to the event. Payments will only be accepted via Eventbrite.

DIETARY REQUIREMENTS
Please inform the event organizers at the time of purchase if you have any dietary restrictions. While we will do our best to accommodate you, please understand that most Japanese food contains meat and/or fish products. we cannot guarantee that the food served is 100% meat/fish free.

Due to the high demand for the welcome dinner, we have been able to rent the entire restaurant! We have increased the number of tickets available, so be sure and order your ticket today. We look forward to seeing you there!

FUK Do 2015 organizers
(armagebedar, NewbieRunner, SQ421, and penegal)

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 14, 2015 at 7:59 am
Old Mar 9, 2015, 11:02 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Attendance is limited to 20 -- so be sure and order your ticket today to secure your place! We look forward to seeing you there!
I'm very grateful for all the hard unpaid work the organisers have done, and have signed up (x2) for the dinner. Given that there are 40 people who said they are definitely coming to Fuk, a number of people are not going to be at the dinner which is a shame...I highly suspect that this is the limitation from the restauarnt...there are a number of people I'm looking forward to catch up with at Fuk, and the dinner, and it looks like alot won't be able to make it. Just a comment so no reply needed or expected
Old Mar 9, 2015, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by kpc
I'm very grateful for all the hard unpaid work the organisers have done, and have signed up (x2) for the dinner. Given that there are 40 people who said they are definitely coming to Fuk, a number of people are not going to be at the dinner which is a shame...I highly suspect that this is the limitation from the restauarnt...there are a number of people I'm looking forward to catch up with at Fuk, and the dinner, and it looks like alot won't be able to make it. Just a comment so no reply needed or expected
Although there are 40 (actually 41 including a +1) names on the list, not everybody has 'confirmed' their attendance by participating in the thread recently. We have counted those who appear to have booked flights and/or accommodation carefully and thought the number might be sufficient. The restaurant actually has more seats but in a separate area. I've just contacted armagebedar who is adding more seats. ^

The Do organisers have secured seats so 20 does not include them. It's great so many people want to come to the Do Dinner after last year when we had to cancel some seats at the restaurant.

Let's see what will happen! And don't ask what I'm doing this time of the morning.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 9, 2015 at 11:48 pm
Old Mar 10, 2015, 12:01 am

The izakaya where the Do Dinner will be held is reported to be almost impossible to find! The area is apparently a former red-light district with narrow streets with few landmarks but I will try and post pictorial guides on how to get there when I've sorted out Google Street View images.

It's also been suggested that groups of people might walk together to the restaurant - one group meeting at the Grand Hyatt and another in Minami-Tenjin by the Daimaru Department Store. It should be a 10-15 minute walk. You can also take the 100-yen bus to Haruyoshi (春吉) or Haruyoshi-bashi (春吉橋) and walk 3-5 minutes to the restaurant.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 2:10 am

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Dinner ticket paid! Now if I can just find a hotel vacancy anywhere in Fukuoka....

I missed last year's Japan Do, due to then +1 that did not want to go. Well I am not missing out on this one, even if I have to take a ferry over from Busan!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.