Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
SUMMARY OF EVENTS Click links for details

Thursday 2 April
Welcome Drinks 19:00-20:00, Bar Fizz Grand Hyatt Fukuoka followed by Yatai food stalls, craft beer excursion, cherry blossom viewing
Late arrivals can meet at the GH reception at 21:00.

Friday 3 April
Half-day trip to Dazaifu (not organised)
Official Do Dinner - Yanagimachi Ikkokudō Haruyoshi-ten, 19:00-22:00

Saturday 4 April
Day Trip to Nagasaki Depart Hakata 07:54 (Kamome #7, Platform 4), Return Nagasaki 17:20 (Kamome #38) – arrive Hakata 19:14

Sunday-Monday 5-6 April
Post-do trip to Kurokawa Onsen
Lunch, day trip to Kumamoto, etc. for those still in Fukuoka

Planning to attend Welcome Drinks – Thursday, April 2, 7PM~8PM, Bar Fizz, Grand Hyatt Fukuoka
NewbieRunner
greendx
kpcs
kpc+1
Awesom Andy
JY1024 (arriving FUK @ 9:35PM, but will get to GH ASAP)
kirkwoodj (arr FUK 8pm)
lili (arriving FUK @ 9:35PM, GH)
BOB W (arriving FUK @ NH249 at 12:25 PM)
beckoa (arriving FUK @ NH249 at 12:25 PM)
ClaudiSTR (50% chance for 7 pm, but sure after arriving at 8:05pm at FUK)
DENchick
iris30
ParanoiaTX (arriving FUK 18:30 on OZ136)
ParanoiaTX+1 (arriving FUK 18:30 on OZ136)
Moomba
nme7
gvdIAD (arriving FUK @ 20:05 on NH2145)
nomadic.relief (arriving FUK @ 12:25 on NH249)
upup&away(arriving by train,Thursday, April 02 (16:39)
ZFW-ATC
Henwurst
The_Wrath_of_Khan - I'll be there as soon as the 1800 Hawks game is over.
Sykes (going to the Baseball game with The_Wrath_of_Khan, so will arrive at the end)
El_Duderito+1

Planning to trip to Dazaifu
(Unorganized - link up information)
Awesom Andy
restlessinRNO
JY1024
kirkwoodj
BOB W
beckoa
ClaudiSTR
pfbloom
lynnevt
DENchick
lili
iris30
Moomba
Sykes
violist got rained on too much this morning
nomadic.relief
upup&away
ZFW-ATC
nme7
O Sora
Henwurst
The_Wrath_of_Khan
El_Duderito+1

Do Dinner - Friday, April 3, 7:00PM
See post #3 for confirmed attendees.

Planning to join Day Trip to Nagasaki – Saturday, April 4, Depart Hakata 7:54AM
NewbieRunner
greendx
kpc
kpc+1
serfty
Awesom Andy
restlessinRNO
JY1024
kirkwoodj
lili
BOB W
beckoa
ClaudiSTR
DENchick
iris30
Moomba
Sykes (50/50 on going)
gvdIAD
nomadic.relief (assuming I'm capable of waking up early enough!)
upup&away
ZFW-ATC
El_Duderito+1
BigRedBears+1
nme7
O Sora
Henwurst

A summary of the events may be found in post #2.

This event also has a Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/JapanDo2015/ if you are interested in the event and enjoy a bit more social interaction with fellow attendees / organizers, feel free to join in.
Print Wikipost

Japan Do #3 - The FUK Do - April 3-5, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2015, 7:04 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ClaudiSTR
Very nice train from Nishitetsu Futsukaichi station to Dazaifu.
It's only for 7 minutes but you can choose between: Academic achievement, Good health and longevity, Good luck charm, Easy baby delivery , Safety of the family, or Love knot.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
There is one through 'Tabito' train from Nishitetsu Fukuoka (Tenjin) to Dazaifu in the morning but during the rest of the day these carriages run a shuttle service between Futsukaichi and Dazaifu which only takes 5-7 minutes. It may still be worth timing our trip to ride on this train at least in one direction.
What time is the 'Tabito' return to Tenjin in the afternoon?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 3:52 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by serfty
What time is the 'Tabito' return to Tenjin in the afternoon?
It doesn't as far as I can see. If you check the timetable the last 'Tabito' arrives at Futsukaichi station at 15:20 on weekdays and 16:50 at weekends and on holidays. It must travel to Tenjin in the morning but not as an advertised passenger service. Some Googling in Japanese found that the train spends the night at Nishitetsu's maintenance base south of Futsukaichi.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 12:17 am

Programs: QF WP
It's only for 7 minutes but you can choose between: Academic achievement, Good health and longevity, Good luck charm, Easy baby delivery , Safety of the family, or Love knot.
Or for the more "greedy" ones among us, you can get out of bed early and catch the 9.46am direct service from Tenjin. You'll get a full 27 mins to increase your luck.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
Or for the more "greedy" ones among us, you can get out of bed early and catch the 9.46am direct service from Tenjin. You'll get a full 27 mins to increase your luck.
Or for the more "thrifty" ones among us with a Northern Kyushu Rail Pass, you can use the rail pass to travel from Hakata to (JR) Futsukaichi, walk 10 minutes to Nishitetsu Futsukaichi station to catch 'Tabito' and save 250 yen each way

Japan Guide
Old Mar 13, 2015, 3:34 am

Due to the high demand for the welcome dinner, we have been able to rent the entire restaurant! We have increased the number of tickets available, so if you weren't able to purchase yours before, please do so now!

FUK Do 2015 Friday Dinner

Thanks to armagebedar for organising the dinner. ^
Old Mar 13, 2015, 4:39 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

That's nice... Probably also good for the few unsuspecting innocent bystanders that were looking for a nice quite dinner.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Due to the high demand for the welcome dinner, we have been able to rent the entire restaurant! We have increased the number of tickets available, so if you weren't able to purchase yours before, please do so now!

FUK Do 2015 Friday Dinner

Thanks to armagebedar for organising the dinner. ^
Nice! Now we just hafta find the place!
Old Mar 13, 2015, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
That's nice... Probably also good for the few unsuspecting innocent bystanders that were looking for a nice quite dinner.
A nice quite dinner? Or perhaps a quiet dinner?

If the latter you probably haven't been to any FT Dos, especially Japan Dos.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 4:18 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Haha... Better proofread when posting from my phone...
And a first time for everything :-).
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:49 pm

Programs: QF WP
Or for the more "thrifty" ones among us with a Northern Kyushu Rail Pass, you can use the rail pass to travel from Hakata to (JR) Futsukaichi, walk 10 minutes to Nishitetsu Futsukaichi station to catch 'Tabito' and save 250 yen each way

Japan Guide
I'm staying next to Hakata so it's actually quicker for me this way. There's a rapid (departure ~15 mins earlier than at Tenjin) that I can catch which will have me arriving Nishitetsu Futsukaichi pretty much the same time as the main group so if anyone wants to take this alternative route as well, we can form a "thrifty" sub-group.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 6:09 am

Walking from the Grand Hyatt Fukuoka to Yanagimachi Ikkokudō Haruyoshi-ten

Walking from the Grand Hyatt Fukuoka to Yanagimachi Ikkokudō Haruyoshi-ten
(All images from Google Maps and Google Street View)

Leave the GH, cross the street and cross the small bridge towards the river

Follow the footpath along the river

Turn left and cross the bridge

At the other end of the bridge turn left (pedestrian shortcut)

You will find the 5th Hotel East on the left and the 5th Hotel West on the right

Just before a 7-Eleven convenience store turn right onto a one-way street against the traffic

You will see the Ikkokudō entrance on the left

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 14, 2015 at 7:53 am
Old Mar 14, 2015, 6:37 am

Walking from Daimaru Department Store to Yanagimachi Ikkokudō Haruyoshi-ten

Walking from Daimaru Department Store (Tenjin-minami) to Yanagimachi Ikkokudō Haruyoshi-ten
(All images from Google Maps and Google Street View)

Start on the corner of Daimaru Department Store, Tenjin-minami

Walk along the southern side of Daimaru Department Store (away from Mitsukoshi Department Store)

Cross the street and walk a few blocks until you see a Lawson convenient store on the right

Turn right immediately after the Lawson convenience store

Walk until you see MyStays Hotel on the left

Turn left on the corner of MyStays Hotel

You will come to the entrance of Ikkokudō on the right

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 14, 2015 at 7:52 am
Old Mar 14, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
A nice quite dinner? Or perhaps a quiet dinner?

If the latter you probably haven't been to any FT Dos, especially Japan Dos.
I had dinner many, many years ago with the Vice President of Makita USA at that time, (a power tool company we deal with) at a very high end Japanese restaurant in Anchorage. At the beginning of the dinner, Kasa Nishikawa announced that it was the custom at dinner to never let the cup of the person on your right go empty. He ordered Sake, which I had never had before and which I quickly grew very fond of. Needless to say, it was a very memorable dinner, although it lasted for several hours and most of us were in no shape to drive home.

I assume this is truly the custom, correct?
Old Mar 15, 2015, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by BOB W
I had dinner many, many years ago with the Vice President of Makita USA at that time, (a power tool company we deal with) at a very high end Japanese restaurant in Anchorage. At the beginning of the dinner, Kasa Nishikawa announced that it was the custom at dinner to never let the cup of the person on your right go empty. He ordered Sake, which I had never had before and which I quickly grew very fond of. Needless to say, it was a very memorable dinner, although it lasted for several hours and most of us were in no shape to drive home.

I assume this is truly the custom, correct?
How to Pour a Drink in Japan

In a more formal setting it is the host's responsibility to ensure the guests' cups don't go empty. In a setting like the one you describe (usually female) servers will do this on behalf of the host. What the Vice President suggested sounds like an innovative twist to the tradition but still in keeping with the custom of not pouring your own drink.

Forget the custom for an all-you-can-drink session at an izakaya! What you need is the ability to draw the servers' attention and to order your own drinks preferably in Japanese! (Bīru or beeru instead of beer!) Study the drinks menu I posted earlier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.