Chicago Seminars Oct 12-14, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago Seminars Oct 12-14, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2012, 2:52 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
I am late in arranging my flight details due to possible medical issues but I have the "all" clear from my Doctors in attending the Seminars. Under normal circumstances, I would have reserved the host hotel right away but with so much uncertainity on my medical, I just reserved the conference before it got sold out, booked refundable hotel/car reservations and see where the "chips" fall. Lucky for me, they "fell" in the right direction!! ^

I used 12.5K AA miles for SNA-ORD and I am booked on the 6PM Friday Oct 12 evening flight. (the only coach saver award available on Friday 10/12 from LAX airports). I like the SNA airport with the nice Admiral's club. I will try to standby for the Friday morning flights to ORD.

For the return, no decent AA/UA saver inventory until Tuesday (Oct 16) so I bought a DL ticket ORD-LGB. (I know the following question will arise "why fly DL when I am AA Plat?). The ticket was $100 cheaper ($140ai!!) and DL goes into my closest airport (LGB) and I live only 2.5 miles from there so wife can easily pickup me up from there. I also got a late afternoon Monday flight and I need to top off my DL account for an award so that is one way I can do it.

For the hotel, I am staying at the Crowne Plaza Northbrook on the 5K/night Pointsbreak special ^ and I got a nice deal on the Hertz rental car. ($52ai for 3 days at ORD--more taxes than base rate w/ a nice coupon ). If I am successful in getting my daytime standby flights, I can rent for alot less at the nearby Hertz HLE and return @ORD. ^

Bottom line: I am glad I can go to the Chicago Seminars!! I am looking forward to seeing everybody and learning new things. Being there for the 3rd time, I know there will be some great new things the speakers will discuss! I will not look the same because I lost well over 100 lbs and please bear with me in conversations as I am speech impared due to my December 2011 head/neck surgery.

Last edited by chemist661; Sep 29, 2012 at 3:00 pm Reason: add to "bottom line.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 3:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
chemist661, glad you've been given the 'all clear'! I'm sure everyone will understand/bear with you re: speech & we look forward to seeing the 'new you' (100lb weight loss).

BTW - you can just show me by fingers how many charity raffle tickets you want to buy

Cheers.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
I've semi-finalized my stay in Chicago. My hotels are:

10/11-10/12: Four Points Chicago.
10/12-10/13: Holiday Inn Elk Grove.
10/13-10/15: Sheraton Suites Elk Grove.

Barring any unforeseen, I'm renting a car on the 12th for the duration. So for those of you folks who're also staying at the Sheraton Suites, I'll be happy to give you a ride to and from the home hotel. Seats as you can imagine are limited, so send your PMs to "reserve"--first come, first served, you know...

A shout-out to the organizers. If you need another volunteer AFTER the closing on Sunday, let me know. My flight is not until Monday, 5PM, so I'll be happy to help rather than sit at the hotel getting drunk.

Cheers,
Andy
Old Sep 30, 2012, 9:22 am

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt Diamond
Saturday night room available at Host hotel

A sure sign that credit card churning and other activities are starting to take a toll on my organizational abilities: I booked the hotel right when registration opened, early enough to get one of the "executive" rooms, but it looks like I didn't circle back after the actual registration opened for the seminars. Duh!!

So, I have a room for the seminars, but can't actually go to the seminars. (I'm kicking myself!)

At any rate, I saw earlier posts of folks looking to share rooms. I have a 2 bed executive room for Saturday night. Since I'm local, I may drive out for drinks at the hotel bar (and to take appropriate knocks on my obvious poor organization skills) but I'm unlikely to stay at the hotel.

If any of you smart enough to register are still looking for a place to crash on Sat night, PM me to discuss.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 9:52 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by CubsGirl
I booked the hotel right when registration opened, early enough to get one of the "executive" rooms, but it looks like I didn't circle back after the actual registration opened for the seminars. Duh!!
In my experience of organizing events for FlyerTalk members, there are always a few people who confirm their attendance — only to find that they are unable to attend for whatever reason, especially as the event dates get closer.

Before you release your room reservation to someone else, contact one of the organizers and find out if this indeed has happened. The worst that will happen is they deny your request...
Old Sep 30, 2012, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver
Less than two weeks away

Less than two weeks away now! This will be my first conference like this. I'm very excited to learn as much as I can and meet good people. See you at Hot Doug's for some duck fat fries!
Old Oct 1, 2012, 8:17 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Folks with rooms get first shot. Don't see that being time limited

Good luck

Cheers

Originally Posted by thegrailer
Same procedure as last year in that those of us in the Host hotel will be in line for event tickets when sales start, ie, if I don't beat the crowd or am out of FT touch for a week or so, I'll still be able to buy a ticket based on my Host hotel reservation.

Cheers -
Originally Posted by thegrailer
Ingy

Have to bump this since I've not seen a reply.

Cheers -
Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
Last year we had plenty of room so really no need this year to advance notice hotel guests. But we will give them first shot somehow. According to the hotel, none of you guys left an email address with them???
Originally Posted by CubsGirl
A sure sign that credit card churning and other activities are starting to take a toll on my organizational abilities: I booked the hotel right when registration opened, early enough to get one of the "executive" rooms, but it looks like I didn't circle back after the actual registration opened for the seminars. Duh!!

So, I have a room for the seminars, but can't actually go to the seminars. (I'm kicking myself!)

At any rate, I saw earlier posts of folks looking to share rooms. I have a 2 bed executive room for Saturday night. Since I'm local, I may drive out for drinks at the hotel bar (and to take appropriate knocks on my obvious poor organization skills) but I'm unlikely to stay at the hotel.

If any of you smart enough to register are still looking for a place to crash on Sat night, PM me to discuss.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 8:33 pm

If anyone cannot go, I would be more than happy to buy his/her seminar ticket.

Just found out I have to be in Chicago on Monday, Oct 15th so might as well fly in a bit earlier.

Also, if anyone wants to grab a beer in Chicago that weekend, shoot me PM
Old Oct 1, 2012, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, AA Lifetime Gold
I negotiated a discount code with Avis for the seminar.

xxxxx

The Avis Worldwide Discount (AWD) Number is D012196 .
Please advise your attendees to use this AWD number when calling Avis directly at 1-800-331-1600 to receive the best car rental rates available or you may advise them to reserve their cars online by using the following link.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 7:59 am

Location: AA Gold/Million Miler,DL dirt,UA1K/Million Miler;Honors Silver,Marriott Gold;Avis Preferred,Hertz Prez Circle, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mnscout
I've semi-finalized my stay in Chicago. My hotels are:

10/11-10/12: Four Points Chicago.
10/12-10/13: Holiday Inn Elk Grove.
10/13-10/15: Sheraton Suites Elk Grove.

Barring any unforeseen, I'm renting a car on the 12th for the duration. So for those of you folks who're also staying at the Sheraton Suites, I'll be happy to give you a ride to and from the home hotel. Seats as you can imagine are limited, so send your PMs to "reserve"--first come, first served, you know...

A shout-out to the organizers. If you need another volunteer AFTER the closing on Sunday, let me know. My flight is not until Monday, 5PM, so I'll be happy to help rather than sit at the hotel getting drunk.

Cheers,
Andy
Just got email from Sheraton listing the Elk Grove Stes starpick rates for $70 either Fri/Sat nites if that helps you or anyone out.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by yesletsski
Priority Club Bonus Promotion Codes
In preparation for our stay at the host hotel or other Priority Club hotels in the area, I did a blog post about the Priority Club bonus point promotions with the four digit codes. Here is the link. http://frugaltravellawyer.com/2012/0...ts-chicago-do/ Please let me know if there are other codes to add to the list.
Looking forward to seeing everyone next month!
Thanks for the reminder and the detailed post. I was able to register for a bunch.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:52 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rustyr
Just got email from Sheraton listing the Elk Grove Stes starpick rates for $70 either Fri/Sat nites if that helps you or anyone out.
YourRoomKey.com is offering attendees free signup to their members only website which offer the Sheraton Suites Elk Grove for $69 plus tax any night(s) WED - 10/10 thru TUE - 10/16. Simply email [email protected] and respond to the followup email requesting your contact information. Be sure to note the referral from Chicago Seminars 2012 to expedite your membership approval.

Also have great rates near ORD at the Hyatt, Crowne Plaza, Hilton, Residence Inn and Doubletree which returning attendees have already booked.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Anyone need a room at the HOST hotel? I got one ;-)

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/deltap...day-inn-hotel/

Also, I know others have talked about it, but make sure you have your promo codes in to get max points

Last edited by Renes Points; Oct 4, 2012 at 6:09 am
Old Oct 4, 2012, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Gold
Hello,

Newbie here but very much looking forward to seminar. I live in downtown Chicago and will be commuting out; I think at least one person asked if anyone else lived downtown. PM if you want to discuss carpooling. Also, I work across the street from Hot Doug's and can see the front door from my window. Can potentially provide a wait time check if anyone wants it on Friday (although usually by Oct the lines are not too bad anymore). Thanks.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Anyone staying at the Sheraton Elk Grove...shoot me an email, perhaps we can ride together to/from the hotel Friday (not sure if there is a free shuttle within a mile or two like other hotels).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.