Reload this Page >

Chicago Seminars Oct 12-14, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago Seminars Oct 12-14, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2012, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Originally Posted by DougDons
Anyone have thoughts on which is the better SPG property to stay at nearby the event, the Westin NW or the Sheraton Suites Elk Grove?

Not sure if either offers a shuttle to the event, but if they don't and anyone wants to split a cab let me know.
The Sheraton Suites are next to the overflow hotel. Nice rooms with a sofabed in the living room. Would be a good private option for "room sharers".
Old Sep 5, 2012, 6:16 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by PatMike
The Sheraton Suites are next to the overflow hotel. Nice rooms with a sofabed in the living room. Would be a good private option for "room sharers".
That is Sheraton Chicago O'Hare. The Elk Grove Location is not near airport: http://www.sheratonsuiteselkgrove.com/.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:10 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
We Need Volunteers

First off, thanks to all of you that volunteer to help with this years seminar. It is an all volunteer event and any excess proceeds are donated to charity at the end of the accounting.

Here is where we need help:

•Set Up. We’ll start setting up sponsor tables and building the easels for the display boards around 3PM on Friday afternoon. Contact Rick on FT by PM to Frugal Travel Guy if you can assist there.

•Registration: We need four individuals on Friday from say 6 to 10PM to help Howie with registration and four more on Saturday morning from 7 to 8:30 AM. Contact Howie by email.

•We need Michigan Apples — “to and fro” brought a terrific selection of Wisconsin apples last year and its time for some Michigan ones this year. If you are driving from Michigan for the seminars and can pick up about 8 bushels of different varieties that would be greatly appreciated. Send a private message on FlyerTalk to Frugal Travel Guy and of course we will be paying for the apples. Thanks

•Balima and legalalien have volunteered to be our local Chicago contacts and help with the purchase of local materials and getting the logos on to the display boards. Howie will be in contact as he has the logos. Would each of you touch base with the ThePointsGuy to see if he needs any help with the Saturday night cocktail event? PM on FT should work.

•Skiadcock is running the charity raffle again and she needs volunteers. You may contact her by PM on FlyerTalk at skiadcock to offer assistance with this very important job. Thanks.

•DLouise37 is again handling the projectors and set up of the PowerPoint presentations. I believe we have an assistant for him this year but if you can lend a hand there, I know he would appreciate the backup. Dlouise37 by FT PM for that one.

•Speakers Please get your PowerPoint presentations to Howie before the event begins.

•Sponsors: Make sure Howie has your logo if he doesn’t already!

•Attention All Bloggers: One of the seminars is Ask the Bloggers and you are all welcome. I’ll need your name, blog name, and email address asap if you will be in attendance and want face time with your readers. I’m sure some of the questions will be quite interesting. As I don’t know how many will be there the format is still up in the air at this time. Get to me as soon as possible so I can get a head count. [email protected] will work for that one.

To all those attending and volunteering, thank you for making your event another success. Lots to learn, people to meet and fun to be had. If I missed anything send me a PM on FT at Frugal Travel Guy
Old Sep 17, 2012, 3:40 pm

Location: AA Gold/Million Miler,DL dirt,UA1K/Million Miler;Honors Silver,Marriott Gold;Avis Preferred,Hertz Prez Circle, Nat'l Exec Elite
"•Registration: We need four individuals on Friday from say 6 to 10PM to help Howie with registration and four more on Saturday morning from 7 to 8:30 AM. Contact Howie by email." Who is Howie and what is his/her's email?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP
im a morning person, happy to help sat at 7am,how do i contact 'howie'
Old Sep 19, 2012, 1:46 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by rustyr
"•Registration: We need four individuals on Friday from say 6 to 10PM to help Howie with registration and four more on Saturday morning from 7 to 8:30 AM. Contact Howie by email." Who is Howie and what is his/her's email?
Try:

[email protected]

Howie is a male.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 7:49 am

Priority Club Bonus Promotion Codes
In preparation for our stay at the host hotel or other Priority Club hotels in the area, I did a blog post about the Priority Club bonus point promotions with the four digit codes. Here is the link. http://frugaltravellawyer.com/2012/0...ts-chicago-do/ Please let me know if there are other codes to add to the list.
Looking forward to seeing everyone next month!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
A relative in Chicago--it turns out--is having an anniversary on Friday. So i decided to spend some time in the city, hence a few questions for our local Chicago friends.

1. Arriving on Thursday morning and staying (probably) at Four Points downtown till Friday afternoon. I know there is an M line (?) into the city, is it a viable option? If not how much is a cab?

2. Want to spend a day sightseeing. Never been to Chicago, so what to see?

3. Going for a banquet to Wheeling on Friday night, so considering renting a car for the rest of the weekend (I'm leaving on Monday). Am I overreacting? How much would a taxi be from downtown to Wheeling and from there to our hotel?

4. What's the best (domestic) lounge at ORD that sells passes?

Thanks and please feel free to share your other Chicago tips too. Thanks.

Last edited by mnscout; Sep 27, 2012 at 12:17 am
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by mnscout
A relative in Chicago--it turns out--is having an anniversary on Friday. So i decided to spend some time in the city, hence a few questions for our local Chicago friends.

1. Arriving on Thursday morning and staying (probably) at Four Points downtown till Friday afternoon. I know there is an M line (?) into the city, is it a viable option? If not how much is a cab?

2. Want to spend a day sightseeing. Never been to Chicago, so what to see?

3. Going for a banquet to Wheeling on Friday night, so considering renting a car for the rest of the weekend (I'm leaving on Monday). Am I overreacting? How much would a taxi be from downtown to Wheeling and from there to our hotel?

4. What's the best (domestic) lounge at ORD that sells passes?

Thanks and please feel free to share your other Chicago tips too. Thanks.
1. The Blue line. You get it at Terminal 2 at ORD & it takes you into the city. Think it's $2.50. Certainly viable. Cabs can be up to $50 depending on traffic.

2. See the Chicago forum. Lots of suggestions there. A FTer recently did the boat architecture tour & that gets good reviews, but again the Chicago forum will have a plethora of suggestions/recommendations.

3. Define "best" & also whether you'd have access airside. Can't remember if you can go from T1 to T3 airside (although I think you can). Some of the lounges only have 1-time pass, not 1-day pass. Often they're $35-50. What are you hoping to get from the lounge to justify the cost?

4. It will be cheaper to get a car for the weekend than it will be to cab it to/from Wheeling and hotel (and you'll get points depending on which car rental agency you use).

Cheers.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
1. The Blue line. You get it at Terminal 2 at ORD & it takes you into the city. Think it's $2.50. Certainly viable. Cabs can be up to $50 depending on traffic.

2. See the Chicago forum. Lots of suggestions there. A FTer recently did the boat architecture tour & that gets good reviews, but again the Chicago forum will have a plethora of suggestions/recommendations.

3. Define "best" & also whether you'd have access airside. Can't remember if you can go from T1 to T3 airside (although I think you can). Some of the lounges only have 1-time pass, not 1-day pass. Often they're $35-50. What are you hoping to get from the lounge to justify the cost?

4. It will be cheaper to get a car for the weekend than it will be to cab it to/from Wheeling and hotel (and you'll get points depending on which car rental agency you use).

Cheers.
Thanks for your suggestions, Sharon. Will certainly check the Chicago forum, but don't think the architectural tour is for me. As a first-time visitor with a very limited time, I'm thinking more of a bus or walking tour if anything.

Regarding the lounge, I have a Skyguide membership, so money is not an issue. I was thinking about a lounge with real food (my flight is around 5:30PM). Thanks.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for your suggestions, Sharon. Will certainly check the Chicago forum, but don't think the architectural tour is for me. As a first-time visitor with a very limited time, I'm thinking more of a bus or walking tour if anything.

Regarding the lounge, I have a Skyguide membership, so money is not an issue. I was thinking about a lounge with real food (my flight is around 5:30PM). Thanks.
The FTer who did the boat architecture tour was a 1st time visitor & had the same amount of time available as you. She thought it was worthwhile. I'm not saying you have to do it, but it's something to consider. Again, Chicago forum will give you a # of ideas.

A domestic US lounge & "real food" is a contradiction in terms

Cheers.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: united, american, alaska
Having done the boat tour and recommended it to others, I think it would give you a good overview. But if it is more your thing, the same architectural society does do walking tours.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
The best things to do in Chicago depend on your preferences.
1)If you like tourist things-go to Navy Pier, walk the Mag Mile, do the observation deck at Willis Tower
2) If you are a foodie- go to Hot Dougs for casual food or Alinea for some super upscale cuisine.
3) bookworm?- check out Frank Lloyd Wright Robie House or Oak Park walking tour
4) Like to chill - Go to Kingston Mines and Green Mill for some excellent live music.

There is much to do, so if you can be more specific, that would be helpful.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 7:04 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by smitty06
The best things to do in Chicago depend on your preferences.
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
2. See the Chicago forum. Lots of suggestions there.

(bolding mine) AGREED !!!!
-
Old Sep 28, 2012, 4:14 pm

Decided to go for that boat architectural tour and whatever walking tour I'll be able to squeeze in in a day. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.