Chicago Seminars Oct 12-14, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago Seminars Oct 12-14, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Looking forward to seeing everyone in Chicago.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Finally sold out!

Scallping time! I know that those 20 entries that I bought will come in handy, start ebaying them, craigslist, bartering, muahh haha! Offers accepted! PM me!

just kidding!

I learned my lesson from the first CHI DO when I found out too late and missed out, so this time around bought it early!

Looking forward to meet new people and make new friends and learn new things.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by Delta Points
Looks Like I owe two you a beer. But i will buy all 3 of you one since the sold out day is TODAY! - Rene
Woo Hoo

Mr. Balima and I forgot we even entered the pool. Feels good on a hot day
Old Jul 25, 2012, 3:09 am

Programs: WN A-list, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Plat
Got one of the last 5! Excited to attend for a third year in a row!
Old Jul 29, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: UA GS
Dang. I just tried to register on Friday and noticed that it had sold out...

Let me know if anyone has a ticket they wish to sell!
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by tipitai
Dang. I just tried to register on Friday and noticed that it had sold out...

Let me know if anyone has a ticket they wish to sell!
Me too! I tried booking a ticket and it said sold out. But, apparently more tickets magically became available again. And, also it seems that people who bought tickets and cannot use them are not able to resell them from what I understand. Does anyone have one I can buy?...and one that tipitai can buy
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Me too! I tried booking a ticket and it said sold out. But, apparently more tickets magically became available again. And, also it seems that people who bought tickets and cannot use them are not able to resell them from what I understand. Does anyone have one I can buy?...and one that tipitai can buy
There are no transfers and no refunds, not even for reasons that, frankly, any conference with any humanity would permit.

Note that Eventbrite permits refunds and transfers if the conference organizers do, so this falls squarely on the organizers.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by deirdre
There are no transfers and no refunds, not even for reasons that, frankly, any conference with any humanity would permit.

Note that Eventbrite permits refunds and transfers if the conference organizers do, so this falls squarely on the organizers.
Policy's pretty much been the same since year 1 if I recall. Given this is a volunteer-organized event, they can pretty much set the rules whichever way they want. And they've always been up front about it - not like they surprised anyone at the last minute.

Cheers.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 7:03 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by deirdre
yes it does.

I'm not defending the organizers but pointing out that Flyertalk has a certain small % of folks (pieces of crap in my opinion) who would buy a ticket to this event, sign up for events, with the sole purpose of reselling the ticket for a profit/miles/points.

Perhaps if language re: switching of tickets was installed, such as
1) one transfer per FTer, not annual, but only a one time ever (so someone couldn't transfer on a yearly basis, they get one out and that's it)
2) transfer must be for face value, no increase
3) person taking on ticket must attend the same classes that the original person signed up for

etc etc.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 7:49 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
I think the problem is that refunds/changes etc will require too much hands-on management from the organizers (2 guys, so the plural barely sneaks in!) who are already very busy. They can't avoid dealing with the hotel, catering, speakers, 500 attendees, etc., so avoiding extra work is understandable. Of course, we all think our case is unique and constitutes a very small request, but you can imagine if changes were permitted there will be dozens upon dozens of requests.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by aktchi
I think the problem is that refunds/changes etc will require too much hands-on management from the organizers (2 guys, so the plural barely sneaks in!) who are already very busy. They can't avoid dealing with the hotel, catering, speakers, 500 attendees, etc., so avoiding extra work is understandable. Of course, we all think our case is unique and constitutes a very small request, but you can imagine if changes were permitted there will be dozens upon dozens of requests.
if rules were established upfront about exchanges, there wouldn't be a need for the organizers to be invovled with an exchange@:-)
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:50 pm

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Points Break Alert - Crowne Plaza, Northbrook, IL

The new, just announced, Priority Club Points Break includes the Crowne Plaza in Northbrook, IL, which is about a 10 minute drive from the Holiday Inn Elk Grove Village conference site. I just booked this Crowne Plaza for 5000 points per night for the two nights. Seeing as you can buy points (if you don't already have them) for .7¢ (seven tenths of a cent) that works out to $35 per night for a $100 per night room.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by rubesl
The new, just announced, Priority Club Points Break includes the Crowne Plaza in Northbrook, IL, which is about a 10 minute drive from the Holiday Inn Elk Grove Village conference site. I just booked this Crowne Plaza for 5000 points per night for the two nights. Seeing as you can buy points (if you don't already have them) for .7¢ (seven tenths of a cent) that works out to $35 per night for a $100 per night room.
very cool, a pointbreaks rate that actually work for someone !!^
Old Jul 31, 2012, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
It might be nice if someone were unable to come, they could give back their ticket (no refund of fee) and the organizers could sell again = more money for charity.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
yI'm not defending the organizers but pointing out that Flyertalk has a certain small % of folks (pieces of crap in my opinion) who would buy a ticket to this event, sign up for events, with the sole purpose of reselling the ticket for a profit/miles/points.

Perhaps if language re: switching of tickets was installed, such as
1) one transfer per FTer, not annual, but only a one time ever (so someone couldn't transfer on a yearly basis, they get one out and that's it)
2) transfer must be for face value, no increase
3) person taking on ticket must attend the same classes that the original person signed up for
Exactly how I'd do it, and I think Eventbrite already has support for that much.

Originally Posted by aktchi
If it were a direct "no other changes" transfer that's done through Eventbrite's mechanism, and then one said "no transfers within X days of event" (where X is probably 30, 45, or 60), that would be easier for all attendees.

Originally Posted by smitty06
It might be nice if someone were unable to come, they could give back their ticket (no refund of fee) and the organizers could sell again = more money for charity.
This would also be good with the caveats above.

I'm not going, but it does pain me to know that there is one person out there who can't go because I bought my ticket early.

I'm likely not the only person; if there's 5-10% of us, then that's a significant amount of expense for catering that'll go unused, and money raised where there's no value to the time the speakers are putting in for those bodies who aren't there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.