Chicago Seminars Oct 12-14, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago Seminars Oct 12-14, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2012, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, AA Lifetime Gold
I am booked at the ORD Hilton. What would be the best way for me to get to the venue?
Old Aug 31, 2012, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by Brahmin
I am booked at the ORD Hilton. What would be the best way for me to get to the venue?
Walk outside to the O'Hare Shuttle Center and take the host hotel's shuttle.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by poptarts
I'm looking for Saturday evening dinner suggestions for me and my teenage daugther. Wish list: (1) Accessible by short cab ride, airport shuttle, or within walking distance of overflow hotel and (2) "local" cuisine.

If others would like to join us for dinner, let me know.

Thanks!
Originally Posted by legalalien
There are two famous Chicago pizza places nearby: Giordano's and Gino's East. Both are just down the road on Higgins, about 1 - 1.5 miles. Might not qualify as "easy walking distance" in the middle of October, but doable, and the hotel shuttle might be able to take you there.
You would have to check if this is doable via the hotel shuttle. But IMO, Lou Malnati's completely toasts Giordano's and Gino's for deep dish pizza.

http://www.loumalnatis.com/Locations/Details.aspx?ID=8

It is about 3 or 4 miles NW on Higgins Rd from your hotel.

poptarts, I'm sure my wife and I could be convinced to give you a ride (and join you for dinner).

Last edited by cheltzel; Aug 31, 2012 at 6:19 pm
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by cheltzel
You would have to check if this is doable via the hotel shuttle. But IMO, Lou Malnati's completely toasts Giordano's and Gino's for deep dish pizza.
Let's just say, that's debatable.

Though I shall not be judgmental and let the guests of the city pick. Either place is more 'local' than many other choices in the area.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 5:42 am

Let's just say, that's debatable.

Though I shall not be judgmental and let the guests of the city pick. Either place is more 'local' than many other choices in the area.
To all the readers of the thread, be forewarned ... the "best" Chicago style deep dish pizza is a discussion here that is often approached with near religious intensity
Old Sep 1, 2012, 4:01 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by cheltzel
To all the readers of the thread, be forewarned ... the "best" Chicago style deep dish pizza is a discussion here that is often approached with near religious intensity
Since "best" is always subjective and since this is the thread for the CHI Seminars, maybe you can continue the "best deep dish pizza in Chicago" discussion on Dining Buzz forum
Old Sep 2, 2012, 2:39 pm

SPG Properties close by

Anyone have thoughts on which is the better SPG property to stay at nearby the event, the Westin NW or the Sheraton Suites Elk Grove?

Not sure if either offers a shuttle to the event, but if they don't and anyone wants to split a cab let me know.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DougDons
Anyone have thoughts on which is the better SPG property to stay at nearby the event, the Westin NW or the Sheraton Suites Elk Grove?

Not sure if either offers a shuttle to the event, but if they don't and anyone wants to split a cab let me know.
Unfortunately, no shuttles. I'm contemplating staying at the Sheraton Suites for 3,000 points on Saturday. It is closer than Westin according to the map, but then I'm mindful of real travel time and costs that can be an entirely different matter. Anyone local know how much a cab fare would be between those two properties?
Old Sep 4, 2012, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by mnscout
Unfortunately, no shuttles. I'm contemplating staying at the Sheraton Suites for 3,000 points on Saturday. It is closer than Westin according to the map, but then I'm mindful of real travel time and costs that can be an entirely different matter. Anyone local know how much a cab fare would be between those two properties?
Shouldn't be more than $12-$15 (plus extra pax and tolls, if any). Remember that this is a suburban area. You cannot flag a cab down; you or the hotel must call for one.

I use American Taxi (http://www.americantaxi.com/, (847) 253-4411) or 303 Taxi (http://www.303taxi.com/index.aspx, (847) 303-0303), but I imagine both hotels have their preferred companies, too.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 8:01 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Shouldn't be more than $12-$15 (plus extra pax and tolls, if any). Remember that this is a suburban area. You cannot flag a cab down; you or the hotel must call for one.

I use American Taxi (http://www.americantaxi.com/, (847) 253-4411) or 303 Taxi (http://www.303taxi.com/index.aspx, (847) 303-0303), but I imagine both hotels have their preferred companies, too.
The good news is that at both properties there's almost always at least one taxi from these companies waiting for a fare. And if not the hotel can usually get one there within 15 minutes. Going the other way I'm sure both companies will figure out that the host hotel will be a good source of business for evening fares.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 9:58 am

+1 to legalalien on the two cab companies.

I live in the NW suburbs of Chicago and these are the two main cab companies for the area.

Both are large and have excellent reputations. I personally use American Taxi, but that is just a personal preference. I am sure there are lots of folks in my area that swear by 303 as well.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 10:29 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
UA Discount Code

United has provided discount pricing for those flying in to attend Chicago Seminars 2012!

Here are the highlights:
1. Discounts vary by booking class and whether origin is domestic or international:
Domestic 13% F, J , Y | 8% C, A ,B, M, E, U, H | 5% D, Z, P, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, N
International 13% F, A, J , C, Y, B, M, E, U, H | 8% D, Z, P, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, N
2. Travel to/from ORD between 10/9/2012 and 10/17/2012.
3. Book/ticket via United.com.
4. Under offer code enter "ZNMN536026"
Sorry but discounts do not apply to tickets already issued.

Let me know if you have questions, comments or problems and I'll do what I can to assist.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: UA-Gold AA-Gold, Marriott Lifetime Tit. Elite
Just remembered I signed-up for this...getting excited!!
Old Sep 4, 2012, 12:56 pm

SFO-ORD Down to $237 w/UA Discount Code

If you haven't yet bought you ticket for Chicago Seminars 2012, live in the Bay Area and can extend your stay in the Windy City thru Tue - 10/16, then thanks to Virgin America's fare sale you can get your ticket today (9/4) only on United for only $237 RT!

Currently showing UA 734 SFO/ORD 0559/1209 752 and UA 1715 SFO/ORD 0938/1557 738 on Fri -10/12 as available with returns on TUE - 10/16 on almost every flight ORD/SFO although a few flights have only a handful of seats left (departure time / # seats left - * if many seats): 0605/*, 0705/*, 0818/4, 0921/4, 11055/3, 1222/*, 1318/7, 1533/*, 1939/* and 2045/*.

Book on United.com and use Offer Code = "ZNMN536026".

Last edited by LinBros; Sep 4, 2012 at 4:05 pm Reason: Forgot to include offer code.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks all for the taxi answers. I guess it's better than I thought.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.