Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago Seminars Oct 12-14, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2012, 1:58 pm
Formerly known as iahsumr

Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
Sharon, Just put 40 euros in my wallet. Can't think of a better place to use them.

Mommy: SquareUp????? Must be some new fangled computer thingy
Ha ha. I think there are a few different ones, but it attaches to an iPhone and folks swipe their cards. I don't have one, but I see them used all the time by small business, charity events, etc.... I believe it is free to get and then they charge a percent per swipe (2.75%). So you lose some, but you may get much more in the end. Just a thought!

https://squareup.com/
Old Oct 10, 2012, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Mommy Points
Look forward to seeing everyone in Chicago in the next 48 hours or so! Someone please tell me it is no longer ragweed season in Chicago. That will be reason enough to escape TX for a few days! Save travels everyone.

Rick, does no one have SquareUp for raffle purchases/donations? Might be an idea for next year so that everyone can use their favorite credit card of the month. I bet it would boost raffle purchases!
Weather is 55/43 on Fri, 70/58 on Sat (and raining), 62/44 on Sun (and raining).

Actually Howie & I discussed this summer using the square thing, but we needed to sort some logistics given he'd be pretty busy with his other activities and I don't have an iphone. I dropped the ball on getting back to him to sort out logistics as I was swamped w/ some real-life work. And there's no way in hades I dare ask a couple days in advance when he & Rick are smack dab in the middle of the overall seminar logistics.

BTW - I thought it would be an interesting experiment to try in one regard. The past 2 years people said oh I'd donate more if I could put it on a credit card. I thought if we had set up this year for cc's, we'd find out if they really did donate more We can try it for next year; experiment to be continued...

So bring those $$ (US/Canadian/Australian), Euros & GPBs!

Cheers.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 3:09 pm
Formerly known as iahsumr

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

BTW - I thought it would be an interesting experiment to try in one regard. The past 2 years people said oh I'd donate more if I could put it on a credit card. I thought if we had set up this year for cc's, we'd find out if they really did donate more We can try it for next year; experiment to be continued...

So bring those $$ (US/Canadian/Australian), Euros & GPBs!

Cheers.
They introduced it on the last MegaDo and I believe very much saw an increase in raffle sales. I'm sure other factors played in as well, but I'd bet a prepaid Amex that your sales would increase!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Mommy Points
They introduced it on the last MegaDo and I believe very much saw an increase in raffle sales. I'm sure other factors played in as well, but I'd bet a prepaid Amex that your sales would increase!
When I was in charge of SMD2 charity raffle, we raised quite a bit of $$. I attribute that to a couple hundred people being enclosed in a narrow aluminum tube & an open bar (and of course my persuasion/cajoling skills) . I'm sure adding in a cc plus narrow tube & open bar would help even more!

One of the things Howie & I discussed in the summer was doing it either via square on-site or some other method in advance, so that when people picked up their badge at check-in they'd also get their raffle tickets & there'd be a star on their badge so we'd know that they had already donated (not that that would stop me from asking if they wanted to donate a bit more more now that they were on-site ). It was really trying to sort out which method to use & figure out the logistic that I was supposed to f/u w/ Howie on, and by the time I realized it a few days ago I didn't want to put an extra burden on him or Rick.

If by chance we can figure out something on the fly, great. But if not, then we'll do it next year. So folks, don't forget to bring $$/E/GBP.

Cheers.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 4:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold; Delta
Hi all! This will be my first DO, and am excited to learn and contribute when I can.

Two quick questions: is the dress code business casual? And am I allowed to take notes on a laptop computer? I'm happy to bring a notebook if electronics aren't allowed.

Thanks!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
Originally Posted by jjcfdx
Hi all! This will be my first DO, and am excited to learn and contribute when I can.

Two quick questions: is the dress code business casual? And am I allowed to take notes on a laptop computer? I'm happy to bring a notebook if electronics aren't allowed.

Thanks!
The dress code is casual casual.

I would recommend bringing a laptop to take notes. Lots of folks do.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Bring some moola!

Hi there! As everyone starts packing, just a reminder to bring some $$ (US, Canadian, Australia), Euros or Great Britain Pounds for the charity raffle. We want to raise lots of $$ for 3 great charities!!
If only you were taking Bahraini Dinars
Old Oct 10, 2012, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by CDKing
I'm thinking Zloty and Rubles!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by CDKing
As long as it's not Burmese Kyat. Exchange rates are tricky.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Bring some moola!
Sharon,

How can those of us not attending get in on the action? No. Not that action.
Anyone want to spot me a $20? I'll mail you a check immediately. I trust you.

Dan
Old Oct 11, 2012, 6:41 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by legalalien
As long as it's not Burmese Kyat. Exchange rates are tricky.

Originally Posted by dhammer53
Sharon,

Dan
+1 Dan, my question as well.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 8:56 am

Sunday Run

If anyone wants to go for a run on Sunday morning, drop me a message here or at [email protected] There's a nice park with running trails not too far from the hotel. We can set time, pace, and distance based on who's interested. Nothing serious, but it'll be a nice chance to get some fresh air.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 9:19 am

Sharon,

Dan
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie

+1 Dan, my question as well.
Let me think about this & talk to FrugalTravelGuy when he lands in Chicago today. Traditionally we've had a must be present to win or give your tickets to someone else to check if you've won if your flight leaves early, but I think we might be willing to sort something out. On the one hand it makes sense to keep it to those actually attending; on the other this is also for charity. I'll talk to FTG later today & post what we've decided.

Cheers.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 9:50 am

Programs: Hilton Gold; Delta
Originally Posted by smitty06
The dress code is casual casual.

I would recommend bringing a laptop to take notes. Lots of folks do.
Great - thanks, Smitty!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: AA ExP
Good, I'll make sure you get your tickets! (I may or may not wait to see which ones win before I decide which ones belong to you. )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.