Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago Seminars Oct 12-14, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2012, 5:45 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
That would have been a great photo though!

Cheers.
Here is a photo that was online.

https://twitter.com/amykstanton/stat.../photo/1/large
Old Oct 15, 2012, 5:52 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by mhnadel
My flight had just about every issue imaginable, starting with the weather, followed by crew issues, and a mechanical. Total delay was about 7 hours.

Maybe next year should have a session on dealing with irrops?
There is no need for a session.

Do what I did — plan to leave the next day, as I originally planned. I had absolutely no hassles today — not even through the airport security checkpoint. I even secured an upgrade.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 6:20 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Southwest
Many thanks to The Frugal Travel Guy, The Points Guy, Frequent Miler, and all the other great people who shared such wonderful information at my first Chicago Seminars. It was a little overwhelming to see the energy in the FlyerTalk community. Hopefully, I'll be able to contribute something back in the future!

And I hope everyone gets a good night's sleep tonight. We got back to DEN at around 1:40 AM last night!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 6:28 pm

Programs: united, american, alaska
Originally Posted by Canarsie

Do what I did — plan to leave the next day, as I originally planned. I had absolutely no hassles today — not even through the airport security checkpoint. I even secured an upgrade.
Some of us have actual obligations in life. My henchmen and minions are no longer permitted to represent me in certain capacities after that incident in 2006.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA, UA

But what if the severe weather happened the day after? Then those taking your suggestion would run into problems.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 9:08 pm

Thank you everyone for such an awesome event! (I had to leave early but did win a raffle! Thanks for letting me know!)
Old Oct 15, 2012, 9:39 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by austin_res
But what if the severe weather happened the day after? Then those taking your suggestion would run into problems.
That is easy...

...then you leave the day before.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 6:52 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
That is easy...

I tell everyone going on a flight to clear their work schedule for at least the next 1/2 day after their intended arrival date back home. One never knows when a bump will appear & I am one that wants to be able to take full advantage if/when a bump appears.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 7:03 am

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by austin_res
That is easy...

My thoughts exactly! That's what I did and it worked out quite well.

(I even had the privilege of sitting two seats over from Blue Skye on ORD-PIT, which neither of us realized until I was gathering my things to disembark and she said, "Hi, Hans." which was rather startling as I had not met her before. I did have some warning as I had overheard her telling her seatmate that she reads travel forums and that there are people out there that fly just to get status, thus was going to ask her if she was an FTer, but in the rush of gathering my things, it slipped my mind.)

Now if only I could learn to schedule my talks as easily as my flights, in order to avoid tornadoes, things would be easier on me. I do believe the tornado was actually my fault, as I'm from Kansas and tornadoes seem to be following me around. I just moved a few months ago from Kansas to NW PA and we had two tornadoes in the first month after I arrived. Now the ORD DO...
Old Oct 16, 2012, 5:53 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
I had the pleasure of sitting next to Blue Skye from SIN-HKG a couple of years ago. We were both mileage running and ran into each other. She is one of the nicest ladies you will ever meet.

Originally Posted by HansGolden
My thoughts exactly! That's what I did and it worked out quite well.

(I even had the privilege of sitting two seats over from Blue Skye on ORD-PIT, which neither of us realized until I was gathering my things to disembark and she said, "Hi, Hans." which was rather startling as I had not met her before. I did have some warning as I had overheard her telling her seatmate that she reads travel forums and that there are people out there that fly just to get status, thus was going to ask her if she was an FTer, but in the rush of gathering my things, it slipped my mind.)

Now if only I could learn to schedule my talks as easily as my flights, in order to avoid tornadoes, things would be easier on me. I do believe the tornado was actually my fault, as I'm from Kansas and tornadoes seem to be following me around. I just moved a few months ago from Kansas to NW PA and we had two tornadoes in the first month after I arrived. Now the ORD DO...

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Oct 16, 2012 at 6:05 pm Reason: corrected spelling of "meat" to meet
Old Oct 16, 2012, 6:03 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
I tell everyone going on a flight to clear their work schedule for at least the next 1/2 day after their intended arrival date back home. One never knows when a bump will appear & I am one that wants to be able to take full advantage if/when a bump appears.
I hear you. I have been retired now for a few years....first thing I do is check if they need volunteers...

My luck, in 13 years I had the pleasure of just two bumps...when I was working years ago, they were looking for volunteers when I Had to be on the job !

I think there is a conspiracy there, the supermarket line I am in is always the slowest with some one ahead crops up with an issue !!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: LatinPass MM, HH Diamond, NW Platinum, Delta DM MM, SPG
That is easy...

Old Oct 16, 2012, 8:07 pm

Tollway info that might be useful in future

After I bolted past the door guard at the HI, I drove to the airport at 2:50 PM and was thankful that there was not a traffic jam (on the Tollroad). Unfortunately the toll both was not manned and only received coins. Those coins in the bottom of my case from Thailand and Singapore did not work ... so I blasted through expecting to be rammed by a police car. I asked what it would cost me when the rental place got the bill and they said go online to Il Tollways and you can pay by credit card as long as it does not go past 7 days. After all these years wasting so much time paying cash for tolls (duh) I could have blasted through and paid later. There is a need to note the toll both locations to document online. So in the future using that amex gc I got from bigcrumbs to pay the toll online will get points vs using cash! I do need to research the vanilla card to see if I can get exponential points out of this ... (yes I know it was only $13.50 cash for the total weekend).

Before I get blasted for paying for a car ... I "had" to go check on my rental property and visit the property manager in Central Illinois ...
Old Oct 16, 2012, 8:41 pm

After attending Frequent Miler's session I wanted to run out into the Tornado and end it all as I am a Platinum with Delta ... Then I missed my flight from MEM-AUS and was looking forward to sleeping in the airport as it was due to a weather delay. When I walked up to the rebooking desk the AUS gate agent heard my name and came over to apologize because she could not get the flight to wait long enough. As I then discussed my morning flight options commenting on sleeping in the airport I was told that as a Platinum they were taking care of me with a room at the Marriott with 3 meal vouchers. The 5 people at the rebooking desk were all extremely helpful and appreciative. My difficult experience ended in getting a great Marriott meal (and POINTS) while watching Sunday Night FB and a very good night's sleep at no cost.

As a Platinum with 1,289,000 miles in my account I am attached to Delta. I stay Platinum at my own expense every year in order to have the benefits when I or my friends fly. The only time I have unpleasant times on delta is when I get bumped to economy because all of the Diamond Medallions. The Platinum desk treats me like a king.

Yes Delta miles are devalued and etc. but Delta does treat the Platinum and Diamond Elites well.

I am considering the status match to AA ... but as I live in AUS I always thought it would be a long painful crawl from zip status to glory on AA.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 1:03 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Chicago Seminars 2013 The Dates are Set

Im pleased to announce that the fourth edition of the Chicago Seminars will take place October 11-13, 2013 at the Holiday Inn Elk Grove Village, Illinois.

Registration will begin in March or April of 2013. Mark your calendars, PM or email me your suggestions and proposed speaker and seminar topics.

See you next year

Rick, Brian, Sharon, Cliff, Howie and the entire Volunteer Team

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.