Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2012, 7:30 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Yesterday I helped my sister sign up for both Visa and AMEX for her and her husband through the links in the first post. Both applications went through approved for her hubby, but for her the Visa was approved but the AMEX said 'decision pending, you'll hear in 7 to 10 days'. I told her to call in today to see what questions they had for her, but when she called they told her that they didn't need any further info, and that she'd receive her response in the mail in 7-10 days just like the website had said.

Has anyone else gotten a similar response when calling in for a 'decision pending' application?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by srodr
Yesterday I helped my sister sign up for both Visa and AMEX for her and her husband through the links in the first post. Both applications went through approved for her hubby, but for her the Visa was approved but the AMEX said 'decision pending, you'll hear in 7 to 10 days'. I told her to call in today to see what questions they had for her, but when she called they told her that they didn't need any further info, and that she'd receive her response in the mail in 7-10 days just like the website had said.

Has anyone else gotten a similar response when calling in for a 'decision pending' application?
Probably means it will be/was declined and they'll provide notice of why via mail.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 7:25 am

I signed up on Monday for visa and American express. I had the American express a few weeks over 18 months ago. It was canceled 9 months ago. Today received email that I'm not eligible for new customer status.

Had pending for Visa as well and am waiting for decision.

In regards to taking the inquiry hit for American express, has anyone been able to get them to reconsider and either product change the request, or get approved without the bonus. I'm interested in either scenario so I'm not wasting a hard.

Thanks all
Old Jun 20, 2012, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by madwad123
I signed up on Monday for visa and American express. I had the American express a few weeks over 18 months ago. It was canceled 9 months ago. Today received email that I'm not eligible for new customer status.

If you're DQ'd for the Amex, I'd be utterly astonished if they don't reject your Visa app as well.

Don't feel bad. I got dinged on a similar re-up just past 18 mos.; decided to fish a different spot for a while, and after coming back 26 mos. since the last successful app I got both Visa & Amex.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In regards to taking the inquiry hit for American express, has anyone been able to get them to reconsider and either product change the request, or get approved without the bonus. I'm interested in either scenario so I'm not wasting a hard.

Thanks all
Slim to no chance to get them issue the card w/o bonus as Citi does not have mechanism to monitor that - Citi chose to keep the gate shut if you are deemed first timer in its system.

As for changing the application for another card, you can call and try for that but given the inflexibility of Citi, it may be just a futile attempt. Though all it wastes more is your time and may be some added aggravation. Nothing material would lose anyway, so why not give it a try and report back?

The past few months data has been the lapse is lengthened to 20+ more months for the majority of folks - therefore only those who dont worry about a ding on their reports should try for their luck at the shorter mark... as a very minority of people got very lucky and succeeded at the 12 to 15 months mark - so you never know. Just so that before one tries, one needs to evaluate the odd and do so accordingly.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 3:47 pm

I received my cards Monday and activated them yesterday. I verified the welcome offer of 50k miles with 3k spend in 4 months and $100 statement credit after first eligible AA purchase on both Visa and Amex.

On Visa they confirmed 1 companion certificate as well while on Amex they declined quoting that it is only for Executive members now. Weird!

I have a question guys. I have quickly scanned this thread and I think one of the easiest ways I found for getting the statement credit is AA gift cards purchased from AA.com. If I do that, could I use these gift cards to pay either a telephone agent booking fee or any other fees/surcharges when I am booking an award travel? Also, do these gift cards have an expiry date?

Originally Posted by SeattleMariner56
A quick data point - I also applied for personal Visa and Amex yesterday using the links from post 1 and was instantly approved for Visa. For Amex had to chat to an agent who asked for my cell phone no. I have not confirmed my bonus yet, would do it at the time of activation.

Also, the link # 2 under Expiration Date of April 30, 2012 is no longer working. I tried it several times over the last couple of days. Looks like it really expired
Old Jun 20, 2012, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
I wouldn't worry too much about the companion certificate. Usually the fare code that is required to qualify for the companion ticket is over twice the cost of a discount economy fare.

Also, I remember a post a while back saying the companion ticket expires on June 30, 2012, anyway. The original offer for the card itself was supposed to expire several months ago. So I think there was originally a few months to use the companion ticket, and June 30 was the end of that time frame. At least the important parts of the offer - the 50k miles and $100 credit are still good for now!

I received my cards Monday and activated them yesterday. I verified the welcome offer of 50k miles with 3k spend in 4 months and $100 statement credit after first eligible AA purchase on both Visa and Amex.

On Visa they confirmed 1 companion certificate as well while on Amex they declined quoting that it is only for Executive members now. Weird!

I have a question guys. I have quickly scanned this thread and I think one of the easiest ways I found for getting the statement credit is AA gift cards purchased from AA.com. If I do that, could I use these gift cards to pay either a telephone agent booking fee or any other fees/surcharges when I am booking an award travel? Also, do these gift cards have an expiry date?
Old Jun 20, 2012, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by jeanie
Also, I remember a post a while back saying the companion ticket expires on June 30, 2012, anyway. The original offer for the card itself was supposed to expire several months ago. So I think there was originally a few months to use the companion ticket, and June 30 was the end of that time frame. At least the important parts of the offer - the 50k miles and $100 credit are still good for now!
I'm new to this game. I know you said that the offer was supposed to expire a few months back but is still working. Based on everyone's best guess, how long do you think this will be around? Have there been other offers like this frequently in that past?

I'm trying to determine what to do for my next card: I'm toying around with doing the United Mileage Plus Visa (and try to get the bump to 65k) or the Citi two browser trick. I know the Citi is more miles but I am not 100% positive I could meet the spend requirements for both.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by jeanie
I wouldn't worry too much about the companion certificate. Usually the fare code that is required to qualify for the companion ticket is over twice the cost of a discount economy fare.

Thanks for the information!
Old Jun 20, 2012, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Merice107
I'm new to this game. I know you said that the offer was supposed to expire a few months back but is still working. Based on everyone's best guess, how long do you think this will be around? Have there been other offers like this frequently in that past?
A similar question was asked some time back. Look at the following posts #1233 and #1245. Hope it helps...

Originally Posted by transistorized
Hi, I am mulling between applying for the 100k offer now, or waiting for the 150k offer to come back. Does anyone know if the 150k offer was just a one-time thing? If not, any idea if it might be back anytime soon? Thanks
Originally Posted by sdsearch
It was offered about once, so no, no one can guess intelligently. (Obviously, anyone, including you, can guess randomly, but what use is that?)

By "about once", I mean, it may have gone away temporarily and come back (there's too many offers that did that for me to keep straight which ones they were), but basically there was a period of months during which it was available, and never before, and never yet since. (Similar, except even further back, for the 100+100 before that.)

Gosh, most of us are even wondering if 50+50 will come back (all we know about that's 50+50 right now is expired offers that for now continue to work, but eventually they stop working, so that's why we're looking to see if there's even going to be another non-expired 50+50).

2010/2011 was a very unusual period for offers, probably tied to the very unusual economy. Now that the economy seems to be slowly coming back in the US, who knows what that'll do to offers?

(BA came back with another 100k offer, but jacked the annual fee way up. C1 came back with another 100k = $1000 offer, but changed it so that only a tiny fraction of people could qualify for it, compared to their first one. I don't view these as necessarily hopeful signs for the CC offer party of 2010/2011 continuing...)
Old Jun 20, 2012, 7:04 pm

Thanks for the information!
Agreed. This info has helped me as well. Thumbs up!
Old Jun 20, 2012, 9:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite; SPG Platinum; MR Gold
Originally Posted by Merice107

I'm trying to determine what to do for my next card: I'm toying around with doing the United Mileage Plus Visa (and try to get the bump to 65k) or the Citi two browser trick. I know the Citi is more miles but I am not 100% positive I could meet the spend requirements for both.
If you are worried about spend requirement, consider that the United MP 65K is really 50K + 5K bonus for supplementary card + 10K bonus for $25,000 spend by Dec 31st (not 12 months after opening.) With Citi, you can choose 40K MC with $1000 spend, or the more expensive spends for 50K bonus; but you are getting 2 x 40K or 1 x 40K + 1 x 50K, for 80-100K vs. 50K only with United MP. If you are really spend constrained the best option is the Chase BA card by applying via the link offer that appears when you "pretend" to buy a flight at BA.com US web site: 50K first use + 50K anniversary (100K BA Avios) with $75 annual fee (2 years though required) but ZERO minimum spend.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:13 am

Does anyone know if purchasing the AA luggage tags on aa.com count towards the "qualifying" AA purchase for the statement credits?

I'm guessing not because it goes thru some third party website.

Is that the general rule for the qualifying AA purchase? Must it be purchase thru something that says aa.com, and not a third-party site?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 9:02 am

Found out today I was approved for Visa signature Platinum AA card. I guess it's very product specific. Last time I did these apps I did AMEX and business.

Thanks guys for replies.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 9:39 am

If I have a Citi gold aadvantage visa card (not signature), can I get the Visa Platinum Select Signature card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.