Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2012, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Happy
You mean now Citi works like Chase, that a new card would automatically show up in the cardholder's online account?

Last I know, Citi would not even let you add a new card without first activate it. Surely one has to have card in hand before one can activate it.

Or you actually mean you have gotten the AMEX card and have activated it / add it to your existing Citi user id / log in?
I do not have the card yet. After I was approved, I got a screen with several options,one of them being to set up an online account,which I did. The Visa screen on the other browser gave the same options,but said if I had already set up an account,to wait until I received the card to add it.

When I checked it today, the last 4 digits of the Amex card was listed there.

I do not have an existing Citi user ID.

Update. I received both cards today and easily activated online and added the VISA to the user ID I had previously set up when applying for the Amex.

Last edited by freeflyin; Jun 18, 2012 at 10:52 am Reason: update
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA Gold, SPG Plat
Anyone done the two browser trick application for Visa & Amex in the recent week(s)?

New citi member, about to consider doing this and wanted to make sure the deal is still active (Since the application pages for both cards don't state the 50k points for each of them)
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:21 pm

I applied June 7th, received both the Visa and Amex card yesterday (June 14th). Confirmed the offer on each, which is the offer listed in the first post.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: many
Hey Happy,
Could you PM or reference that one post of making sure when you cancel that not only the account is actually cancelled, but the internal account also gets cancelled.
Thanks.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pcharles
Hey Happy,
Could you PM or reference that one post of making sure when you cancel that not only the account is actually cancelled, but the internal account also gets cancelled.
Thanks.
This is more related to the business card because it has both the Corporate Account (the one has its number online but you do not get a physical card) and the Employee card which IS the physical card you got.

Both accounts have to be properly closed for Citi's internal system to treat the account being closed. The sure way to make sure that is to request a written confirmation which they dont normally send, but if it is requested, they would send it. The letter would be the proof that the CSR has done a thorough job to close both accounts. If you dont get a letter 2 weeks after you request it at cancellation, you know your account is not properly closed.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 7:28 pm

Citi ever approve card but deny miles bonus?

Applied for AMEX and VISA on June 11 using 2 browsers and the links in post #1. Was approved for both after separate on-line chats in which the agents asked a couple questions, then said I was approved. I asked for a confirmation of the bonus and they both confirmed the 50K miles after $3k in 4 months.

My question is: does Citi ever approve these applications, send you the cards, but then after you make the required spend, deny the miles bonus because of a history of churning these miles bonus cards, or for a recent cancellation of an AA card? (I cancelled the AMEX in March after having it for more than 18 months. The chat agent did make mention of my recent cancellation of the same card I was now applying for again.) Or deny the miles because the application was made after the supposed end of the offer, even though the link was still alive? Or is it safe to assume that since I was approved for the card, I will get the miles if I meet the spending requirements?

Last edited by dalemccl; Jun 15, 2012 at 7:54 pm
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by dalemccl
Applied for AMEX and VISA on June 11 using 2 browsers and the links in post #1. Was approved for both after separate on-line chats in which the agents asked a couple questions, then said I was approved. I asked for a confirmation of the bonus and they both confirmed the 50K miles after $3k in 4 months.

My question is: does Citi ever approve these applications, send you the cards, but then after you make the required spend, deny the miles bonus because of a history of churning these miles bonus cards, or for a recent cancellation of an AA card?...[/I]
Everything I've read (in numerous threads) points to Citi telling you up-front whether or not you'll be getting a bonus (unlike what Chase often does). If you've been approved and CSRs confirmed you're good to go.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 5:14 am

Programs: many
This is more related to the business card because it has both the Corporate Account (the one has its number online but you do not get a physical card) and the Employee card which IS the physical card you got.

Both accounts have to be properly closed for Citi's internal system to treat the account being closed. The sure way to make sure that is to request a written confirmation which they dont normally send, but if it is requested, they would send it. The letter would be the proof that the CSR has done a thorough job to close both accounts. If you dont get a letter 2 weeks after you request it at cancellation, you know your account is not properly closed.
Thanks Happy, that's what I was looking for.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 7:10 am

Has anyone who used the two browser trick had any problems with their bonus 50k AA miles posting?
My visa AA card posted my spend 3k and the bonus 50k a few days later after my statement closed and I paid. The Amex one I spent 3k for the 50k bonus has closed on 6/10 and I still havent recvd anything yet.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by snugglening
Has anyone who used the two browser trick had any problems with their bonus 50k AA miles posting?
My visa AA card posted my spend 3k and the bonus 50k a few days later after my statement closed and I paid. The Amex one I spent 3k for the 50k bonus has closed on 6/10 and I still havent recvd anything yet.
Did you check you Cici AA card statements online (or maybe you got them in the mail the time you read this)? Look there first to see if they credit you the 50k on each. It's a two-step process, and without looking at both steps (when it the second step doesn't work), you can't tell where the problem is.

If the statement shows the 50k earned but aa.com doesn't, then it's a rpoblem with Citi sending it to AA.

If the satement doesn't show the 50k earned, it's a problem solely at the Citi end, and you need to contact Citi to see if you can figure out what happened.

Many of us have had various problems (doulbe AA miles not working at first, $100/$150 credit for AA spend not working at first) with the Amex that we didn't hae with the Visa, so the Amex is known for being more problematic with singup offer issue posting.

Also, some people suggest that if your 3k was completed too close to the statement close, that perhaps it may take an extra statement for the 50k to post. How soon before the 6/10 Amex statement close did you cross 3k spend? (I did it with quite a bit of margin of time before the statement close, so I have no personal expereience with how it works if you cross the spend threshold right before the statement closes.)
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Did you check you Cici AA card statements online (or maybe you got them in the mail the time you read this)? Look there first to see if they credit you the 50k on each. It's a two-step process, and without looking at both steps (when it the second step doesn't work), you can't tell where the problem is.

If the statement shows the 50k earned but aa.com doesn't, then it's a rpoblem with Citi sending it to AA.

If the satement doesn't show the 50k earned, it's a problem solely at the Citi end, and you need to contact Citi to see if you can figure out what happened.

Many of us have had various problems (doulbe AA miles not working at first, $100/$150 credit for AA spend not working at first) with the Amex that we didn't hae with the Visa, so the Amex is known for being more problematic with singup offer issue posting.

Also, some people suggest that if your 3k was completed too close to the statement close, that perhaps it may take an extra statement for the 50k to post. How soon before the 6/10 Amex statement close did you cross 3k spend? (I did it with quite a bit of margin of time before the statement close, so I have no personal expereience with how it works if you cross the spend threshold right before the statement closes.)
I crossed it about 2 days after my card arrived in my possession. Ill check my statements. Thank you for the detailed answer.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:37 am

My question is: does Citi ever approve these applications, send you the cards, but then after you make the required spend, deny the miles bonus because of a history of churning these miles bonus cards, or for a recent cancellation of an AA card? (I cancelled the AMEX in March after having it for more than 18 months. The chat agent did make mention of my recent cancellation of the same card I was now applying for again.) Or deny the miles because the application was made after the supposed end of the offer, even though the link was still alive? Or is it safe to assume that since I was approved for the card, I will get the miles if I meet the spending requirements?
Originally Posted by garkman
Everything I've read (in numerous threads) points to Citi telling you up-front whether or not you'll be getting a bonus (unlike what Chase often does). If you've been approved and CSRs confirmed you're good to go.
Thanks, garkman - that's good to know. One thing that raised my concern is the lack of any mention of bonus miles in the application screens nor in the literature that comes with the card, so it would be hard to prove I applied only on the basis of expecting bonus miles. But if I recall correctly from past experience, the lack of mention of bonus miles is normal.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by snugglening
I crossed it about 2 days after my card arrived in my possession. Ill check my statements. Thank you for the detailed answer.
The 2 days related to the date of charge or date of POSTING?

If the posting date is on the date of statement close, you are cutting it too close.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, garkman - that's good to know. One thing that raised my concern is the lack of any mention of bonus miles in the application screens nor in the literature that comes with the card, so it would be hard to prove I applied only on the basis of expecting bonus miles. But if I recall correctly from past experience, the lack of mention of bonus miles is normal.
You already knew the answer to your own question before you asked....

Citi never mentions bonus either on the application screen or on the material that sent with your new card.

There are literally THOUSANDS of people doing this, you can be rest assured that as long as you receive the Physical cards and meet the spend requirement based on the T&Cs, your bonus from Citi would post automatically as long as your AA membership number is correctly associated with the card.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:49 pm

The 2 days related to the date of charge or date of POSTING?

If the posting date is on the date of statement close, you are cutting it too close.
Hmm looks like they waved my membership fee for the statement 5/15 and I crossed the threshold on 5/21 same day as my card arrived so I guess I was mistaken and I have to wait for the next billing statement which should be around the corner. Weirdly I remember Citi showing my next statement would be 6/10.. Oh well as I long as I get my miles and hopefully my $100 flight credit....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.