Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2012, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Happy
All AAdvantage cards now have priority boarding and first checked bag free.
Even the lowly Citi Gold AAdvantage Visa?

How about an authorized user with her name on a card?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richarddd
Even the lowly Citi Gold AAdvantage Visa?

How about an authorized user with her name on a card?
The "Select" or "Platinum" version enjoys the benefit. Those carry $95 annual fee (went up from $85 to $95 when new benefits announced.) The letter I got from Citi informing the new benefits do not mention Gold.

Is the Gold version a downgraded one that does not carry fee? That is not a public offer but only at retention? If no annual fee I am afraid there is no such benefits.

The benefits supposedly are associated to the primary card because it is associated to the primary cardholder's AAdvantage number but data points in AA forum suggested the bennies also extended to authorized user on occasions. No guarantee though as it is not entitled as the primary cardholder.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 21, 2012 at 10:48 am
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jeanie
I wouldn't worry too much about the companion certificate. Usually the fare code that is required to qualify for the companion ticket is over twice the cost of a discount economy fare.

Also, I remember a post a while back saying the companion ticket expires on June 30, 2012, anyway. The original offer for the card itself was supposed to expire several months ago. So I think there was originally a few months to use the companion ticket, and June 30 was the end of that time frame. At least the important parts of the offer - the 50k miles and $100 credit are still good for now!
We have the 40K $1K spend Mastercard version and got the companion cert that expires on June 30. We picked this version because it is a MC (dont want an AMEX) and the spend is only $1K instead of $3K.

The companion cert of this offer actually has no restriction on fare class, in the sense that it includes even the lowest, deep discount classes so it is good to use in almost any scenario.

The unfortunate part is, the cert expires on June 30 as you pointed out because the original offer expired Dec 31 2011 - Cert is good for 6 months from the offer expiration hence the June 30 date. I have one and have gone round and round with both AA and Citi so far have no conclusion / solution on this topic. You have to call a specific dept to book and said dept insists the cert expires on June 30 AND therefore all travel MUST complete by June 30. SM Citi to ask for a new cert got a negative response claiming this is a special offer that cannot be extended.

Called the number at the back of the card and was told the booking must be made by June 30 but travel can be later. Told the CSR this was NOT AA's info showing in its system, since AA is the airline which issues the ticket, what should a Citicard customer go about this? CSR went to check and came back adamantly said 4! supervisors informed her the booking must be by June 30 but can travel later... She said at the time of booking, I could call Citi and they would then have a conference call into AAdvantage to resolve this issue...

We dont really care for the companion cert because it is only good to travel in lower 48, which we have no plan to do any domestic travel. Besides it can only be used by telephone booking on both the primary and the companion - that is $50 telephone booking fee right there. However for those who can use it, you have about 9 days left to try to use it by calling Citicard first and explain that AA would not let you book travel beyond June 30 and see if you can get anything done thru the Citi/AAdvantage conference call. Good Luck.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdben
If you are worried about spend requirement, consider that the United MP 65K is really 50K + 5K bonus for supplementary card + 10K bonus for $25,000 spend by Dec 31st (not 12 months after opening.) With Citi, you can choose 40K MC with $1000 spend, or the more expensive spends for 50K bonus; but you are getting 2 x 40K or 1 x 40K + 1 x 50K, for 80-100K vs. 50K only with United MP. If you are really spend constrained the best option is the Chase BA card by applying via the link offer that appears when you "pretend" to buy a flight at BA.com US web site: 50K first use + 50K anniversary (100K BA Avios) with $75 annual fee (2 years though required) but ZERO minimum spend.
Good suggestion though I am not sure there are 2 MC 40K $1K offer. Are you referring to an MC and an AMEX?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:44 am

Does buying AA miles on the site count, too? (as a qualifying AA purchase?)

I'm also guessing not because it goes thru points.com.

So - are gift cards really the only way to meet the statement credit criteria, without actually having to set foot on an AA airplane to buy a can of beer?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:47 am

Good suggestion though I am not sure there are 2 MC 40K $1K offer. Are you referring to an MC and an AMEX?
Where's the Citi MC 40k $1k offer?

The aadvantage gold visa is free with a citigold account. I don't know what it's annual fee would be if it weren't tied to a citigold account.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by PanHam
Does buying AA miles on the site count, too?

So - are gift cards really the only way to meet the statement credit criteria, without actually having to set foot on an AA airplane to buy a can of beer?
I paid for 6 AA tix for my friends for a bachelor party in Nawlins (they reimbursed me later on ). My bro sis and myself have 2 cards each. We all recived $100 off when we used our cards. So if you know someone that needs to fly AA that might work for you. Now I have a extra $600 on me which I will spend on the bachelor party. (Yes I know its wrong of me not to give them back the $100 off but we can probably drink it away in about 3hrs.)
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:49 am

@:-)

I suppose you could buy a refundable ticket, check in online, pay a checked-bag fee, and then get a refund of the ticket.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does buying AA miles on the site count, too? (as a qualifying AA purchase?)

You have 12 months to meet that requirement so unless you really want to get the credit right away, you can take care of this in months to come. Otherwise, the AA gift card would pretty much be your only option if you dont fly AA in near future. (Purchases that AA is listed as the Merchant, such as AA tickets, Admiral Club Membership, Upgrade, and onboard purchase other than duty-free goods - are listed as eligible on the flyer I have in file.)
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by snugglening
I paid for 6 AA tix for my friends for a bachelor party in Nawlins (they reimbursed me later on ). My bro sis and myself have 2 cards each. We all recived $100 off when we used our cards. So if you know someone that needs to fly AA that might work for you. Now I have a extra $600 on me which I will spend on the bachelor party. (Yes I know its wrong of me not to give them back the $100 off but we can probably drink it away in about 3hrs.)
Originally Posted by beltway

I suppose you could buy a refundable ticket, check in online, pay a checked-bag fee, and then get a refund of the ticket.
You have 12 months to meet that requirement so unless you really want to get the credit right away, you can take care of this in months to come. Otherwise, the AA gift card would be your only option if you dont fly AA in near future.
Thanks for all these replies, folks! These are really helpful.

Happy - I forgot it was 12 months. Thanks for the reminder. ^
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The "Select" version enjoys the benefit. Those carry $95 annual fee (went up from $85 to $95 when new benefits announced.)

Is the Gold version a downgraded one that does not carry fee? If so, no such benefits.
THe problem is that depending on the exact card, it may not actually say "Select" anywhere on the card, even though it may a "Select" card!

The Citi AA cards that officially* do not carry an annual fee are called Bronze, not Gold. (You may be able to waive annual fees, even for multiple years, through signup and retention offers, but that's not the same thing as the card officially not having an annual fee.)

IIRC, Gold relates to a lower credit limit, fewer MC/Visa benefits (AA-unrelated benefits, such as insurances and such), etc. Before these new benefits were announced, it had the same earning (1 mile per $ on all purchases) as Signature cards.

(Note "Select" is Citi / AA terminology. Visa terminology for the level above Gold is Signature, and MC terminology for the level above Gold is Platinum.)

Since one of the new "Select" benefits is earning 2 miles on AA purchases, I guess if you have time, and if you make AA purchases often enough, the simple way of figuring out if your card has the new benefits is to what you earn on AA purchases now. But for those who need an answer more quickly, or those who rarely make AA purchases, that may not help.

And given the nature of all answers gotten from customer service agents, I don't know whether you can get a trustworthy answer by calling Citi CS and asking "is my card a Select card"! (I don't know what the alternate to a "Select" card is in Citi / AA terminolgy, since "Select" is not part of the Gold vs Signature Visa or Gold vs Platinum MC terminology!)

Meanwhile, while we've been told that Select cards with the new benefit will be having their annual fee raised to $95, this appears to be happening slowly, and it appears that some people who have cards (from years before) that now have the new benefits are still getting $85 annual fee charges right now. So you can't even necessarily tell whether you card has the new benefits just from the annual fee bill either!
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richarddd
Where's the Citi MC 40k $1k offer?

The aadvantage gold visa is free with a citigold account. I don't know what it's annual fee would be if it weren't tied to a citigold account.
In this case the AAdvantage Gold Visa is not a public offer as well as carries no fee - I believe it is not eligible for the enhanced benefits especially if you do not receive any mailing from Citi on such matter.

The MC 40K $1K offer is found on this forum - I found it thru search but hadn't saved the link. Offer had officially expired last year but the link was still working in early March.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 21, 2012 at 11:16 am
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With due respect on your taking the time and efforts to write an extensive explanation, I believe a very simply rule to check if you are entitled to such benefit, is whether your card carries a fee or not. There is no need to go into the length to distinguish what is what because in all practical purposes, such distinguish does not matter to most people. All it adds to the mix is more unnecessary complexity that has very little practical value. A lot of times plain common sense would work much better and the concept much easier to grasp.

Another way to find out is, if your card is eligible, you would have received mailing from Citi informing you the new benefits (and the new annual fee) by now. In fact the one I downgraded in March but the bronze was not issued until May 19 still received such mailing as obviously the mailing was based on records on file before the May 19 date.

We have one is coming up for renewal and the annual fee should be billed next week. The retention offer rendered last month was $95. Will see if we make $10 on it or not.

The Gold version is a side benefit, no fee card, coming with CitiGold account the poster said. (I am well aware of the Bronze - currently have such lying somewhere because the rep threatened to take back my retention offer of statement credit should I cancel, but would let me keep the credit should I downgrade. Fine with me to pocket $85 with a bronze card that would not see the daylight.)

Originally Posted by sdsearch
THe problem is that depending on the exact card, it may not actually say "Select" anywhere on the card, even though it may a "Select" card!

The Citi AA cards that officially* do not carry an annual fee are called Bronze, not Gold. (You may be able to waive annual fees, even for multiple years, through signup and retention offers, but that's not the same thing as the card officially not having an annual fee.)

IIRC, Gold relates to a lower credit limit, fewer MC/Visa benefits (AA-unrelated benefits, such as insurances and such), etc. Before these new benefits were announced, it had the same earning (1 mile per $ on all purchases) as Signature cards.

(Note "Select" is Citi / AA terminology. Visa terminology for the level above Gold is Signature, and MC terminology for the level above Gold is Platinum.)

Since one of the new "Select" benefits is earning 2 miles on AA purchases, I guess if you have time, and if you make AA purchases often enough, the simple way of figuring out if your card has the new benefits is to what you earn on AA purchases now. But for those who need an answer more quickly, or those who rarely make AA purchases, that may not help.

And given the nature of all answers gotten from customer service agents, I don't know whether you can get a trustworthy answer by calling Citi CS and asking "is my card a Select card"! (I don't know what the alternate to a "Select" card is in Citi / AA terminolgy, since "Select" is not part of the Gold vs Signature Visa or Gold vs Platinum MC terminology!)

Meanwhile, while we've been told that Select cards with the new benefit will be having their annual fee raised to $95, this appears to be happening slowly, and it appears that some people who have cards (from years before) that now have the new benefits are still getting $85 annual fee charges right now. So you can't even necessarily tell whether you card has the new benefits just from the annual fee bill either!

Last edited by Happy; Jun 21, 2012 at 11:18 am
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:21 am

The MC 40K $1K offer is found on this forum - I found it thru search but hadn't saved the link. Offer had officially expired last year but the link was still working in early March.
Here's the link http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc...110117174856:s

It doesn't list priority boarding, $100 AA, etc. so the offers in the OP may be better for those benefits.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway

The refund of the ticket is no hassle. The refund of the checked bag fee may take some effort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.