Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2012, 7:48 am
Formerly known as MLW20

Programs: AA LT GOLD, Delta, UA/Continental & many others
Originally Posted by loheiman
Found an advertised deal on their site: 50k miles after 2.5k spend w/in 4 months + 2 admiral club passes. Not quite as good as the 50k after 3k spend + $100 credit but at least it's advertised and therefore more defendable in case there are issues. Found it just my googling "citi aa 50k"

http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc...C39D5D1817583C
Sounds like a pretty decent deal considering what is being offered currently!
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dave_SEA
Has anyone had experience applying for a card without a US Social Secuirty number?

My parents fly AA regulalrly, and want to get this card to save on baggage fees.
Originally Posted by Bored_Russian
add them as authorized users to your account
And that will help them save on their baggage fees how???

The way you save on your baggage fees (without status) is to have a Citi AA card linked to your frequent flyer number.

An authorized user doesn't get this! The authorized user card is stil tied to the same AA frequent flyer number as the original card, and there's no way to change that. So it helps not a single bit with baggage on tickets bought and flown by the authorized user.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Found an advertised deal on their site: 50k miles after 2.5k spend w/in 4 months + 2 admiral club passes. Not quite as good as the 50k after 3k spend + $100 credit but at least it's advertised and therefore more defendable in case there are issues. Found it just my googling "citi aa 50k"

And the point is?

This is an expired offer with dead app pages!

Did you actually try the app links? This offer was already posted in this thread before, but for a while it's been giving "system error" messages when you click on the app links. (Pick a card, any card!)

You can find all sorts of expired offers that don't work by googling this way. So you have to try the app links in each to know if it really works.

(You can also find a mix of current and expired offers by trying all the websites from away1.citicards.com to away9.citicards.com, travel1.citicards.com to travel9.citicards.com, fly1.citicards.com to fly9.citicards.com, and miles1.citicards.com through miles9.citicards.com, but again you'll have to filter out the ones which are so expired that the links to apply no longer work.)

If you look carefully at the URL, you'll notice it has "Aug/2011" in it! That gives you a clue as to when it dates from...

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 4, 2012 at 1:33 pm Reason: added awayN,travelN,flyN,milesN sites info
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Zombie link of Landing Page ONLY, with expiration October 2011 (you can see it in the detailed footnotes, also the link bears an Aug 2011 date code). It would not even produce an App page.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
anyone have any luck getting the $100 credit for the Amex version when buying AA gift cards recently?
Old Jul 4, 2012, 7:22 pm

Does anyone know what happens if you do the double browser trick for the AA-Amex & Mastercard AND also apply for another Citi Card such as the Diamond Preferred?
Old Jul 4, 2012, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CashRevert
Does anyone know what happens if you do the double browser trick for the AA-Amex & Mastercard AND also apply for another Citi Card such as the Diamond Preferred?
The 3rd one is automatically declined.

You may want to understand better the rules of Citi card application that have been mentioned many many many times on this thread and the old thread referred to in Post 1 of this thread.

Rule Number 1, Citi only allows 2 applications of any kind every 60(65) days.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by CashRevert
See recent discussion at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...l#post18866927 & posts following.

Welcome to FT!
Old Jul 5, 2012, 1:21 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by geclub1
Any links you can share?
Sorry, no link. It was a mailed promo with an already partly-filled application.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 11:06 am

Statement Credit

My wife applied on 7/2 and got to Step 5 but was deferred, called in today and the recording said she was approved. She first got this card a year ago for 75K, since closed.

We need to buy some tickets on BA that should cost ~$100-150. Will the statement credit cover that if it is purchased through AA.com? I do not specifically recall reading any personal anecdotes and searched the thread unsuccessfully. Anyone have any luck with anything along those lines?

Many thanks!

Ike
p.s. I'll have her ask the CSR when activating the card if nobody knows.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 11:32 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by Happy
The 3rd one is automatically declined.

You may want to understand better the rules of Citi card application that have been mentioned many many many times on this thread and the old thread referred to in Post 1 of this thread.

Rule Number 1, Citi only allows 2 applications of any kind every 60(65) days.
The reality is though this is not a rule that you or I can find written down anywhere. Citi is the biggest YMMV player in the whole space, and things evolve over time. You used to be able to get 3 even 4 cards in one day with them.

So when I did my last app-o-rama, I decided to try get 3. Not because I thought I would, but because I thought there was some chance things will have changed. And they hadn't, and I got a decline on the third app after two instant approvals. I can live with the extra inquiry, and while what you are saying is correct, if nobody ever tries it every now and then we'll never find out if things loosen up....
Old Jul 5, 2012, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
The reality is though this is not a rule that you or I can find written down anywhere. Citi is the biggest YMMV player in the whole space, and things evolve over time. You used to be able to get 3 even 4 cards in one day with them.

So when I did my last app-o-rama, I decided to try get 3. Not because I thought I would, but because I thought there was some chance things will have changed. And they hadn't, and I got a decline on the third app after two instant approvals. I can live with the extra inquiry, and while what you are saying is correct, if nobody ever tries it every now and then we'll never find out if things loosen up....
There is never a written rule. It is a conclusion derived from deduction thru empirical data. Heck, if the banks laid out every rule in writing, things would be much easier, wouldn't it?

As for your statement underlined above, all I can say is, it never happens within my small circle of FT friends who shared data long before CC sign up bonuses are being touted by every blogger under the sun and the main stream media also gets into action. If you were able to do that, then you are truly special in Citi's eyes.

I have been doing Citi cards since 2006 together with a handful of FTer friends. There was not a single time anyone of us could get pass 3rd app with Citi as you described. FWIW, at least a person in our little group was able to reach LT PLT largely via AAdvantage cards, WITHOUT any of the spend tricks such as TC, coins, GCs etc etc because at the time the spend requirement was only $200 - $250 - $750 but of course the bonus was only 20 to 25K. Said person had experimented enough times as well as everyone in the group - the conclusion was, and has been, 2 app every 60 days but one should not cut the 60 days to the dot as it could backfire badly when Citi's system had a sick day or two in that 60 days span. Better to pad it to 65 days and better to do 2 at the same time instead of one every 30 days - the latter was actually a touted practice by someone named Candyman or CandymanJim. You may still find his "How To" thread in the Credit Card forum when at one point in 2008 or 2009 was still a STICKY. About a year after this "How To" STICKY, Citi put in place the "first time only" practice and actually enforced it. And CandymanJim was wondering why?! LOL.

As for nobody tries - I can tell you an FTer just tried it earlier this year exactly because he did not mind to have an extra inquiry and he knew his first 2 would sail thru. The outcome has confirmed that nothing has changed.

We certainly would welcome your input should you try again and succeed - that would confirm a policy change.

What I would really want to see the policy change (back to the old days) is for Citi to start re-allocate credit lines again, not just a new card opening but at anytime you request, or at least at account close. Citi took away that ability and still not put it back, always cited the "new regulations" - what a BS as Chase now is back to full swing in reallocating CL just like the old days.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 5, 2012 at 3:51 pm
Old Jul 5, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: A few
Happy -

Maybe my memory is serving me wrong given what you are saying. I am certainly very familiar with CandymanJim and the prior sticky thread and the subsequent end of the world thread.

My memory comes from Frugal Travel Guy so hopefully Rick will see this and chime in. I remember back in the day it was Rick's original blog that got me into this crazy game with his list of top deals and the Citicard churning was the number one. I am absolutely sure Rick was saying he'd get three cards at a time (two personal and one business) and had either had isolated cases or other people reporting four (two personal two biz)

Are you out there Rick?

I will have to dig back into my own records to see if I ever got three at once. This was back in the 25k sign up days.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 5:17 pm

Applied for the $100 credit, two admirals club passes, 50k miles (40k for $2k + 10k after $5k), 2 miles/$ on AA link

confirmed with email CSR, but no mention of $100 credit???
Old Jul 5, 2012, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Happy -

Maybe my memory is serving me wrong given what you are saying. I am certainly very familiar with CandymanJim and the prior sticky thread and the subsequent end of the world thread.

My memory comes from Frugal Travel Guy so hopefully Rick will see this and chime in. I remember back in the day it was Rick's original blog that got me into this crazy game with his list of top deals and the Citicard churning was the number one. I am absolutely sure Rick was saying he'd get three cards at a time (two personal and one business) and had either had isolated cases or other people reporting four (two personal two biz)

Are you out there Rick?

I will have to dig back into my own records to see if I ever got three at once. This was back in the 25k sign up days.
There are certainly threads from back then (2006? 2005?) that would talk about that, but FT's search makes them a bit hard to find. For example, it's biased toward searching for newer posts, and I see no way to specify to search only 2006 or whatever year.

However, in browsing around, I did find posts in threads in the Credit Cards forum from years ago where are posting on FT (no need to find offisite blogs) about getting two personal and two business at the same time. I'm not sure how many people there were.

Originally Posted by Happy
I have been doing Citi cards since 2006 together with a handful of FTer friends. There was not a single time anyone of us could get pass 3rd app with Citi as you described.
Well, that's the thing, I know nothing about your small group from back then, I only know about what was posted publicly on FT. And, though it's hard (because of FT's search limitations), it can be found today, since all those threads from 2005 and 2006 still exist, if only they can be found.

However, just to clarify: It was indeed apparently only a small subset of people that Citi "really liked" or whatever who were able to ever go beyond the 2 at a time limit. And even those people later reported they had been lowered to 2 at a time just like us mere mortals had always been limited to.

What is unclear to me, without finding all those old posts, is whether 3 at a time ever really meant 3 personal, or whether all examples of 3 or 4 at a time were limited to 2 personal and then 1 or 2 business.

(We talk about business cards being on a separate clock of 90 days now. But apparently, long ago, business cards and personal cards were so separate that the 2 every 60 days limit applied to each of them separately, at least for some people, rather than combined.)

I have to admit I'm hazy on business cards since I've never applied for them.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 5, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.