Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2012, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by nolimit186
I signed up initially for the $2k/40k then 10k because I was afraid I might not be able to make the 3k spends on both cards in less than 3 months. But I just had a big expense that came up and I’m regretting not doing the $3k for 50k deal. Could I secure message a CSR online and ask them to match me for the $3k for 50k deal?
AFAIK, it is hard to change offers with Citi. However there is no harm in trying.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 3:18 pm

when do you get or how long does it take to get the companion certificate?
Old Apr 9, 2012, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nolimit186
I signed up initially for the $2k/40k then 10k because I was afraid I might not be able to make the 3k spends on both cards in less than 3 months. But I just had a big expense that came up and I’m regretting not doing the $3k for 50k deal. Could I secure message a CSR online and ask them to match me for the $3k for 50k deal?
You might have better luck calling the reconsideration or retention dept. Those folks have more power than the front line CSRs. Unlike Chase, Citi's SMs seem to be pretty weak - they normally could only confirm things that are already in place. Anything else they would refer you to call.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 4:29 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold
I just got denied a business card in my latest round of applications for "already hav[ing] the maximum number of accounts that can be issued to an individual." Called reconsideration to get an explanation and see if I couldn't get that reversed. I don't have a current CitiBiz AA card open, did get one last April, closed around October last year.

Rep initially said I already had a card, thus I couldn't get another one. Even after recognizing that it was a closed card, wouldn't budge. Spoke to a supervisor, explained that their systems now recognize if you've had the card in the past? This wasn't an issue when I got the card last year, even though I had to go through a similar process to get the approval.

So I wonder now if Citi's wised up to the biz card churning as well, since he specifically stated to me the reason I was being denied and the clause was in there was because people had opened and closed accounts to get the bonus multiple times. He also referenced that the "system" had caught the application and didn't let it go through. Some (disturbing) food for thought.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by y2chen
-----------------------------------------------------
So I wonder now if Citi's wised up to the biz card churning as well, since he specifically stated to me the reason I was being denied and the clause was in there was because people had opened and closed accounts to get the bonus multiple times. He also referenced that the "system" had caught the application and didn't let it go through. Some (disturbing) food for thought.
I got my last AA business card a couple of months ago and had gotten a few more in the past. In some ways I think this development is good for me. Citi always asks me for filling the IRS form and then checks my CR twice. It takes at least 2-3 months and then they give me a whopping CL of $ 1 K. This is even though I have no other open biz card with them and my personal CL with Citi is in $$$$$. IMHO major PITA to meet the spend requirement.

I guess it is time to move to other opportunities .
Old Apr 9, 2012, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by saacman5033

1. $150 statement credit for the first eligible AA purchase made within 12 months of cardmembership, 50k miles after $3,000 in purchases within the first 4 months, 2 AC passes

Links:

Visa (Personal): https://www.citicards.com/cards/acq/...&screenID=3001
Amex (Personal): https://www.citicards.com/cards/acq/...&screenID=3033
Visa (Business): https://www.citicards.com/cards/acq/...&screenID=3006
i was wondering if anyone can confirm that the offer for this card is valid. im planning to use the 2 browser trick and gettin both the amex and visa. i dont want to sign up for this offer and get approved and not get the 50k miles and esp the $150 credit statement.

also i was just approved for the united mileage plus card, will that effect my in any way of getting these card?

thanks in advance.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 7:49 pm

Programs: many
Last week I signed up for the biz version, 50/2/150 for $3k and was approved. Card arrived today, activated and offer verified for the second time (once upon approval as well). Spend will be met tomorrow morning. Nice easy 50k.

Questions: Phone rep said a seperate acct number will be generated that is different from the card acct number - after the first statement generates. The new number is what you use for online acct management. Having never had a citi biz acct, is this all the norm?

Can the acct for online management be set up sooner, will simply calling in to a different rep after the computer has a chance to wrap up the activation overnight?

Thanks.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 7:59 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt Diamond Member, Club Calrson Silver, AA, Hilton Gold, BA
Originally Posted by pcharles
Last week I signed up for the biz version, 50/2/150 for $3k and was approved. Card arrived today, activated and offer verified for the second time (once upon approval as well). Spend will be met tomorrow morning. Nice easy 50k.

Questions: Phone rep said a seperate acct number will be generated that is different from the card acct number - after the first statement generates. The new number is what you use for online acct management. Having never had a citi biz acct, is this all the norm?

Can the acct for online management be set up sooner, will simply calling in to a different rep after the computer has a chance to wrap up the activation overnight?

Thanks.
yes this is true. I have had two previous citi biz cards with them and they always give you some weird corporate account number. Dont mind them. Just nod and enjoy the miles
Old Apr 9, 2012, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mannnn
i was wondering if anyone can confirm that the offer for this card is valid.

If there's a working link, the offer stands.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton
If there's a working link, the offer stands.
thank you. ill be applying for these card! wish me luck!
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mannnn
i was wondering if anyone can confirm that the offer for this card is valid. im planning to use the 2 browser trick and gettin both the amex and visa. i dont want to sign up for this offer and get approved and not get the 50k miles and esp the $150 credit statement.

also i was just approved for the united mileage plus card, will that effect my in any way of getting these card?

thanks in advance.
yes they are still valid with the $150 statement credit. i applied and today got the biz version and the rep confirmed it.

i did the 2bm ( citi aa amex and visa personal) for my sister's apps and waiting for them in mail. i am 100% confident that it is exact offer she will get
Old Apr 10, 2012, 6:10 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gv111
I got my last AA business card a couple of months ago and had gotten a few more in the past. In some ways I think this development is good for me. Citi always asks me for filling the IRS form and then checks my CR twice. It takes at least 2-3 months and then they give me a whopping CL of $ 1 K. This is even though I have no other open biz card with them and my personal CL with Citi is in $$$$$. IMHO major PITA to meet the spend requirement.

I guess it is time to move to other opportunities .
Not really difficult to meet the spend with a 1k limit. I've been hit with such a seemingly useless limit in the past. The best way around it is to push extra into the account by making a payment from your checking account in a greater amount. For example 'push' $2k by making a payment on your $100 balance, then you can spend $1.9k; which will all count toward your spend. You need to initiate this on the checking account end, not through Citi CC payments.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 6:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Surface Interval
Not really difficult to meet the spend with a 1k limit. I've been hit with such a seemingly useless limit in the past. The best way around it is to push extra into the account by making a payment from your checking account in a greater amount. For example 'push' $2k by making a payment on your $100 balance, then you can spend $1.9k; which will all count toward your spend. You need to initiate this on the checking account end, not through Citi CC payments.
Yes, I am aware of that. However the daily purchase limit still applies. So if the CL is $1 K, one can not exceed $1 K in purchases per day regardless of how much prepayment one had made. So one can make $1 K purchase one day and another $1 K on second day. I wanted to pay 2 months rent at the same time to avoid convenience fees but could only pay for 1 month because of the daily limit.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 8:56 am

Hi all - lots of helpful information here. Does anyone have a flyer or other materials for the companion ticket offer? The T&C do indicate its expiration so wanted to know if there were any other materials that could be helpful in case something went awry. Since I never go to AC (or if I do, have other access), that seemed like the better offer.

Thanks!
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by y2chen
I just got denied a business card in my latest round of applications for "already hav[ing] the maximum number of accounts that can be issued to an individual." Called reconsideration to get an explanation and see if I couldn't get that reversed. I don't have a current CitiBiz AA card open, did get one last April, closed around October last year.

Rep initially said I already had a card, thus I couldn't get another one. Even after recognizing that it was a closed card, wouldn't budge. Spoke to a supervisor, explained that their systems now recognize if you've had the card in the past? This wasn't an issue when I got the card last year, even though I had to go through a similar process to get the approval.

Interesting. Someone posted just recently he got the same reason on denial but when he called, he explained that he did not currently have a biz card and suggested it was a system glitch - the rep researched and agreed his previous card was closed in May (despite he closed in Oct) and approved him over the phone! This data point was posted no more than a week ago I believe, right in this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.